• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Wentworth Miller as Chris...

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I still stick with Paul Walker as being the best looking Chris. Perhaps not the more built, current Chris, but more like Chris from the REmake. I thought Miller was pretty bad...I mean the shaved head, it's like they didn't even try.

And do rubberbands not exist in the RE movies because Claire refuses to put her hair in her trademark ponytail.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I still stick with Paul Walker as being the best looking Chris. Perhaps not the more built, current Chris, but more like Chris from the REmake. I thought Miller was pretty bad...I mean the shaved head, it's like they didn't even try.

And do rubberbands not exist in the RE movies because Claire refuses to put her hair in her trademark ponytail.

I couldn't love that post any more.

fast-five-ver4-xlg.jpg
chris-redfield.jpg

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I thought Miller was pretty bad...I mean the shaved head, it's like they didn't even try.
Would you rather Chris have uncharacteristically curly hair? Because Miller's hair is curly when it gets longer.

wentworth_miller(004-headshot-med).jpg

I prefer a shaved Chris to a potential mop-top and it's much better than Ali Larter having her hair stringing around her face the whole movie instead of in a ponytail which is an easy fix, unlike the issue with curly-vs-straight. I mean, sure his hair could have been a little more...there without being at the point it is in the picture above but if his head was recently shaved when he was cast or had to be shaved because it was long and curly, what are you going to do? Release a statement saying:

"Shooting for Resident Evil Afterlife has been halted because we're waiting for Wentworth's hair to grow back."

I don't think it's fair to judge the actor solely on physical appearance, try to judge them on how well they did as an actor. It's like the deal with Shawn Roberts - it's not his fault he's as cute as a ten year old; sure Wesker would be more convincing if he was a little more intimidating but the man tried and he and Wentworth were two of the only ones who tried so they should at least get some credit.

You could cast someone who looks exactly like Chris or exactly like Wesker and they could be the two worst actors ever; I don't know about everyone else but I'd rather have someone that maybe didn't look exactly like the character but is a pretty good actor over someone who can't act but looks exactly like the character.

aoshi

The subject is not if wentworth miller is a good actor,but was chris redfield portrayed to the essence as in video games. Chris was the central character in RE 5 and in the movie he was jus mila's posse which is not acceptable. Mila's role is not even in the games. I dont know why is she given importance.Wentworth miller could be a good actor,But chris deserved better is wat is the subject of this thread.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
The subject is not if wentworth miller is a good actor,but was chris redfield portrayed to the essence as in video games. Chris was the central character in RE 5 and in the movie he was jus mila's posse which is not acceptable. Mila's role is not even in the games. I dont know why is she given importance.Wentworth miller could be a good actor,But chris deserved better is wat is the subject of this thread.
Considering the way the movies are written, I think it's safe to say that no matter who played Chris in Afterlife, he wasn't going to be the essence of Chris in the video games. Chris may have deserved better but that's not Wentworth Miller's fault, that's the writer's fault. Miller can only do what the writers allow him, what the time line of the movies allows. If we want to talk about what Chris deserved, he deserved to be in the first movie not introduced in the fourth but I still don't see how that has anything to do with the actor chosen to play him.

Many people are bashing Miller because movie-Chris isn't who we know and love but that's not really anything he can control. He didn't write movie-Chris and all he can do is try to incorporate as much of the video game as he can into the character while still being true to the script. (And for that matter, Resident Evil 5 Chris isn't even the Chris we know and love - not the one I know anyway.)

The only actors that can truly take some criticism for how bad their movie characters are, are the ones who think ignorance is bliss and know absolutely nothing about the games or who their characters really are because they made no effort to.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I couldn't love that post any more.

fast-five-ver4-xlg.jpg
chris-redfield.jpg

Perfect pic. All he'd have to do is change the hair color. I feel that in regards to appearance, it's him. His voice oddly enough sounds a lot like Chris, I always thought so, even in Fast & The Furious.

@Magnolia, it isn't fair to judge simply by appearance, but that is a huge part, for sure. I mean I love Daniel Craig, and I really think he did a superb job playing Bond, but he just doesn't look the part. Connery & Brosnan are the two ideal Bonds as far as I'm concerned, and the only real thing holding back Craig, was not looking so much like the stereotypical Bond.

Anyway, my point being that while not entirely fair, he just didn't look like Chris...and his performance, wasn't anything to write home about either. It wasn't bad, although I did call him "bad" in my previous post, it just wasn't great, hardly even good.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Dude, resident evil movies are just.... -sigh-
epic-fail
As far as following the story of the games, yeah, as for being movies, they are good in their own right. The people that claim the RE movies are fail, are typically people who can't accept that they are in a different universe. They may have started with good intentions, following the movies, but the games made them have to change their story a bit. i.e. RE0 making the first RE movie redundant and irrelevant.

The first two RE movies, mainly the first, was really good, and the others have things that make them watchable. I'm a huge fan of the games, but I can appreciate aspects of the films too. I'm not going to write off all the hard work into, "The movies suck" just because they are different.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Again I agree with you, Spike. They are entertaining, and that's probably the nicest thing I can work up to say about them.

Quite frankly the games are more realistic looking than the damn movies; I find them to be very cheesy and poorly thought out (and sure someone could say that the games have their cheesy moments and poorly written ideas, but that's what the movies could have made up for). Did no one else cringe at the acting at the end of Afterlife when they were saving K-Mart? I just thought it was so lame; you could see that they were acting.

I always say this- and it may be easier said than done- but there is a balance. There is a way to have exciting fight scenes along with entertaining/witty characters and still have emotional scenes- just look at the Kill Bill films. The RE films just overdo it for me. Motivator pleaz!

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Again I agree with you, Spike. They are entertaining that's probably the nicest thing I can work up to say about them though. Quite frankly the games are more realistic looking than the movies; I find them to be very cheesy and poorly thought out.... Did no one else cringe at the acting at the end of Afterlife when they were saving K-Mart? I just thought it was so... lame and you could see that they were acting.

I love the first one, no matter what, the others though, to say they entertaining is fair.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Sure- it was probably the best film of the bunch (especially since they really didn't mess with any of the game characters and their history).

Rusty

Kickass Stranger
I totally agree with Spike. I'm not bandwagoning, I've always felt that way, but even as the movies go I feel they get progressively worse each movie for not staying in their universe. The lame ass copy and pasting for coreography in Afterlife was a giant facepalm. The story gets increasingly more ridiculous as well. They had great stuff goin' on in the first one. The second one was great as well, though it could've been fantastic with a few small tweaks. Extinction and Afterlife didn't even feel like Resident Evil excluding the ending scenes of Extinction and Chris' intro and the fiasco in the prison in Afterlife (excluding the Executioner. That was stupid to me.)
Genesis though... that $#!t was awesome. Still my fav. I've actually noticed some funny setting errors. If you watch the movie and look around you'll find some mistakes in the setting between the editing takes. It gives the movie more replayability. lol
Apocalypse was a cool action flick.

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
I think that they should've built on the first one and kept things simple. They started off so great! Great action, the acting was what you would expect for a movie like this, and the characters were new and had their own paths!

Where they tweaked off was when they made Jill out to be a foul-mouthed bitch that seemed to have a thing for Alice. Cut to super-powers and a Carlos that wasn't anywhere near the mark and a Nicholai that acted almost exactly like Mikhail. They KILLED the Ashford name, turned Nemmy into a good guy, and Alice is suddenly a cyborg-ish thing.

Cut to number tois with a pot-smoking Carlos, bitchy inept Claire, and a no where to be found Jill and Angela. Skip ahead a lil bit to a psychic Alice and an army of naked clones fighting a tentacle psychic tyrant who still has intelligence who also has an army of "smart" and controllable zombie elite squad.

BLAMO to a number four (OH GOD WHY?!). Alice clones die and Alice loses her powers and still survives a crash into the side of a mountain. She happens to find an air-plane that doesn't require fuel (lucky her, eh?) and makes it to Alaska where for some reason only Claire is. She lands a plane on a roof after it breaks down and finds a creepy rapist/murder-esque Chris or gets his ass handed to him by his little sister. A random guy with a hammer axe catches a few to the face and a guy with no previous flying skills happens to take off with a broken plane and only about 50 feet of runway (being generous) and hits dozens of human bodies with the propeller and STILL manages to fly and "land" it on a cargo ship. Zooooom to a RE5 Wesker who is implanted with Les Plagas and gets his ass handed to him by a non-superpower wielding Alice, who couldn't take him out when she was stronger and he was weaker. Boom pow to another army of Umbrella soldiers to take out our little group of meddling kids. :O Wait! Is that? No! Oh my! It's Jill!

Fin

What a masterpiece this storyline is.

codename: HUNK

As far as following the story of the games, yeah, as for being movies, they are good in their own right. The people that claim the RE movies are fail, are typically people who can't accept that they are in a different universe. They may have started with good intentions, following the movies, but the games made them have to change their story a bit. i.e. RE0 making the first RE movie redundant and irrelevant.

The first two RE movies, mainly the first, was really good, and the others have things that make them watchable. I'm a huge fan of the games, but I can appreciate aspects of the films too. I'm not going to write off all the hard work into, "The movies suck" just because they are different.

It's not so much that. I'll sit down and watch the movies. I think they just had a lot more potential that was kind of wasted. They could have been so much better.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
It's not so much that. I'll sit down and watch the movies. I think they just had a lot more potential that was kind of wasted. They could have been so much better.

Sure, I mean there are levels of dislike for the movies. They have lots of good and bad things, for RE fans though, it's really just about being open minded.

Honestly though, if I were in Anderson's position, I would have left it with the first film, certainly not make 3 more sequels, but they are making him money.

codename: HUNK

Sure, I mean there are levels of dislike for the movies. They have lots of good and bad things, for RE fans though, it's really just about being open minded.

Honestly though, if I were in Anderson's position, I would have left it with the first film, certainly not make 3 more sequels, but they are making him money.

Oh yeah, these movies are crazy popular. Though it left a lot of fans of the games dissapointed, it certainly attracted a lot more fans to the series. Notice how they made a lot of comparison to RE5 in the latest movie?

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Oh yeah, these movies are crazy popular. Though it left a lot of fans of the games dissapointed, it certainly attracted a lot more fans to the series. Notice how they made a lot of comparison to RE5 in the latest movie?

Yeah, and the same thing with Extinction. When I saw the first trailers for that, it made me think of RE5's early trailers.

aoshi

Considering the way the movies are written, I think it's safe to say that no matter who played Chris in Afterlife, he wasn't going to be the essence of Chris in the video games. Chris may have deserved better but that's not Wentworth Miller's fault, that's the writer's fault. Miller can only do what the writers allow him, what the time line of the movies allows. If we want to talk about what Chris deserved, he deserved to be in the first movie not introduced in the fourth but I still don't see how that has anything to do with the actor chosen to play him.

Many people are bashing Miller because movie-Chris isn't who we know and love but that's not really anything he can control. He didn't write movie-Chris and all he can do is try to incorporate as much of the video game as he can into the character while still being true to the script. (And for that matter, Resident Evil 5 Chris isn't even the Chris we know and love - not the one I know anyway.)

The only actors that can truly take some criticism for how bad their movie characters are, are the ones who think ignorance is bliss and know absolutely nothing about the games or who their characters really are because they made no effort to.

I gotta agree with that. Even if miller wanted to add essence to the character, he would not have been allowed.But if he knew games better, He might have added better aspects to the role by basing his propositions from games.Guess the casting and Anderson did not give much thought about chris or the games.Its like movies have their own cannon in a different universe.

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
^ Well they clearly are in their own universe. That became apparent in the first movie. You also have to look at it from the actor's point of view. They only have a limited amount of time to prepare for their character. How hard do you think it would be to completely understand one person in a game series that stretches for more than a decade? All the while learning his lines, getting in shape, combat training, other roles he may have had, and his personal life. I think we should give the actors more credit than we do. After all, it's not their fault that their characters were written the way they were.

aoshi

^ Err i don't think movies having their own cannon is a good idea. I am not aware of cannon in games when first movie was released, If i did i am not sure if i would have enjoyed it as much as i did.After playing RE 4 and RE 5, I found later movies were way out of cannon which i was disappointed. Are movies only for people who have not played the games?Why can't canon in games be the same in movies. Only the creator's need to be questioned was my view as stated by magnolia.

Top Bottom