• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? (Part 2)

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
CT: "This unique clock stops time... for a time."
Is that even legitimate? Time, you keep confusing me. I still don't believe in you, though, so stop it! *turns around annoyed and freezes time*

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
CT: "This unique clock stops time... for a time."
Is that even legitimate? Time, you keep confusing me. I still don't believe in you, though, so stop it! *turns around annoyed and freezes time*

That's the one super power I want above all others. Control over time.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I don't believe in time, or at least not in the way most humans do, so I don't think it will ever be possible to stop, slow down or accelerate it. Have you seen Charmed? One of the witches can at least freeze the people/things surrounding her. (And when I say I stop time, I usually mean that.) But unless you're fighting demons, this power is not very useful in everyday life.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I don't believe in time, or at least not in the way most humans do, so I don't think it will ever be possible to stop, slow down or accelerate it. Have you seen Charmed? One of the witches can at least freeze the people/things surrounding her. (And when I say I stop time, I usually mean that.) But unless you're fighting demons, this power is not very useful in everyday life.
...To travel back is impossible, but theoretically, travelling forward in time, and slowing it are both completely possible. All it requires is moving faster than the speed of light. Math and science have proven this to be true, however, it's something we haven't been able to attain due to our insufficient technology to move faster than the speed of light. Not believing in Time is like not believing in the Sun. It's real. It's its own 4th temporal dimension.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
...To travel back is impossible, but theoretically, travelling forward in time, and slowing it are both completely possible. All it requires is moving faster than the speed of light. Math and science have proven this to be true, however, it's something we haven't been able to attain due to our insufficient technology to move faster than the speed of light. Not believing in Time is like not believing in the Sun. It's real. It's its own 4th temporal dimension.

Theoretically, meaning if it was possible, you could also sit on the event horizon of a black hole for a few minutes, get out again and find yourself a few hundreds or thousands of years in the so-called future. But that isn't really time travel, it's just you putting your own process of changing and developing on hold, using the natural forces of gravity and its effects on physical mass, while the world around you still goes on as usual. Because that's what "time" really is: The change and development of things, so to speak. If it was a dimension, you could move in more than one direction. But in fact you can't move anywhere at all because there's nowhere to go. We use the terms "past" and "future" to facilitate our verbal communication, but there is no such thing in reality. It's always present. So even if you "travel to the future" in any of the ways you and I described, you're not really doing that. You're taking the present with you, and it's present, not future, where you come out.

So at the end of the day, you cannot manipulate time. You can manipulate yourself in a way so you think that "time" is moving faster or slower or not at all, but in fact it's only your personal perception of things that changes, and that perception of things is also the one and only basis that constitutes our human understanding of "time". Now, the sun is a little less complicated than that, don't you think?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Theoretically, meaning if it was possible, you could also sit on the event horizon of a black hole for a few minutes, get out again and find yourself a few hundreds or thousands of years in the so-called future. But that isn't really time travel, it's just you putting your own process of changing and developing on hold, using the natural forces of gravity and its effects on physical mass, while the world around you still goes on as usual. Because that's what "time" really is: The change and development of things, so to speak. If it was a dimension, you could move in more than one direction. But in fact you can't move anywhere at all because there's nowhere to go. We use the terms "past" and "future" to facilitate our verbal communication, but there is no such thing in reality. It's always present. So even if you "travel to the future" in any of the ways you and I described, you're not really doing that. You're taking the present with you, and it's present, not future, where you come out.

So at the end of the day, you cannot manipulate time. You can manipulate yourself in a way so you think that "time" is moving faster or slower or not at all, but in fact it's only your personal perception of things that changes, and that perception of things is also the one and only basis that constitutes our human understanding of "time". Now, the sun is a little less complicated than that, don't you think?
The world goes on as normal, but your position in the time space continuum changes, therefore moving you FORWARD in time. If you were to go faster than the speed of light, you would not age at all, yet when you stop moving, everything you were moving past has aged. That is traveling forward in time. Time is the 4th temporal dimension, and it encompasses ALL 3 other dimensions. Dimensions don't mean you move in multiple directions. If that were the case how would we distinguish between 2D and 3D?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The world goes on as normal, but your position in the time space continuum changes, therefore moving you FORWARD in time. If you were to go faster than the speed of light, you would not age at all, yet when you stop moving, everything you were moving past has aged. That is traveling forward in time. Time is the 4th temporal dimension, and it encompasses ALL 3 other dimensions. Dimensions don't mean you move in multiple directions. If that were the case how would we distinguish between 2D and 3D?
Well, I assume you didn't understand my conception of time, and I really don't blame you for that, not to sound condescending or anything, it's just very hard to explain. For me at least, since I'm only a hobby astrophysicist watching the universe, not one that writes books about it, or else I could provide better answers and explanations.

Let's just say: I don't define or believe in time the way most people do. Most people imagine time as a straight line going from the past to the future, which substantiates the idea of a "time space continuum", but if anything, I imagine it as a dot, and while things may change inside that dot, it doesn't go anywhere. What do you think was there before the Big Bang? It is assumed that there was nothing, which means no time either. But how can there be no time? I'm making a knot in my brain while typing this because the idea of "nothing" is just as difficult to grasp as the idea of "eternity", but no time just means that there was nothing changing.

Bottom line: Time is change (or the other way around). I don't know if that makes it any more clear or even more confusing, but I can't explain it in any other way yet. And it's just what I believe, not necessarily what is true. (Just making sure that no one thinks I have access to any superior information, which I don't. I actually came up with that theory all by myself. Things don't change a lot here in Helheim, so I'm not often concerned with time.)

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well, I assume you didn't understand my conception of time, and I really don't blame you for that, not to sound condescending or anything, it's just very hard to explain. For me at least, since I'm only a hobby astrophysicist watching the universe, not one that writes books about it, or else I could provide better answers and explanations.

Let's just say: I don't define or believe in time the way most people do. Most people imagine time as a straight line going from the past to the future, which substantiates the idea of a "time space continuum", but if anything, I imagine it as a dot, and while things may change inside that dot, it doesn't go anywhere. What do you think was there before the Big Bang? It is assumed that there was nothing, which means no time either. But how can there be no time? I'm making a knot in my brain while typing this because the idea of "nothing" is just as difficult to grasp as the idea of "eternity", but no time just means that there was nothing changing.

Bottom line: Time is change (or the other way around). I don't know if that makes it any more clear or even more confusing, but I can't explain it in any other way yet. And it's just what I believe, not necessarily what is true. (Just making sure that no one thinks I have access to any superior information, which I don't. I actually came up with that theory all by myself. Things don't change a lot here in Helheim, so I'm not often concerned with time.)
I understand it perfectly, but that doesn't alter the fact that by traveling faster than the speed of life time is completely different. Which is my point. Time can only move, or as you say "Change" so fast. If you're moving faster than time is moving, or "Changing," then time will not have any effect on you. However, for those that are stationary, or much slower than the speed or "Change" of time, then it will still affect those things, and you have effectively traveled forward in time. Be it a straight line or a dot really doesn't matter at this point, seeing as you're still moving faster than A. The speed of the straight line moves, or B. The rate of change of the dot.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I understand it perfectly, but that doesn't alter the fact that by traveling faster than the speed of life time is completely different. Which is my point. Time can only move, or as you say "Change" so fast. If you're moving faster than time is moving, or "Changing," then time will not have any effect on you. However, for those that are stationary, or much slower than the speed or "Change" of time, then it will still affect those things, and you have effectively traveled forward in time. Be it a straight line or a dot really doesn't matter at this point, seeing as you're still moving faster than A. The speed of the straight line moves, or B. The rate of change of the dot.

It's actually just the common definition of time that I don't like. I'm not disagreeing with what you say about light or the theoretical possibility of "time" travel in general. However, no matter what you do to travel through time, it's not time itself that you manipulate, but yourself. Let's say I decide to travel forward in time, you decide not to and we are somehow able to look at each other. It will appear to me that you are aging faster, just as it will appear to you that I'm not aging at all. But our differing rates of change do not affect each other, and while you might be dead by the time my travel ends, you'll still have lived your life at a normal speed that I had no control over even though I was slowing down my own "time", automatically making everything around me seem to accelerate. And this is why I say that what we call "time" is nothing but everyone's personal perception of change.

CT: Early morning, nice weather, no people on the streets, hardly any traffic - yet the bus somehow still manages to be 10 minutes late. Just when I thought I'd seen everything. I guess not being "on time" is my punishment for thinking too much about time.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
It's actually just the common definition of time that I don't like. I'm not disagreeing with what you say about light or the theoretical possibility of "time" travel in general. However, no matter what you do to travel through time, it's not time itself that you manipulate, but yourself. Let's say I decide to travel forward in time, you decide not to and we are somehow able to look at each other. It will appear to me that you are aging faster, just as it will appear to you that I'm not aging at all. But our differing rates of change do not affect each other, and while you might be dead by the time my travel ends, you'll still have lived your life at a normal speed that I had no control over even though I was slowing down my own "time", automatically making everything around me seem to accelerate. And this is why I say that what we call "time" is nothing but everyone's personal perception of change.

CT: Early morning, nice weather, no people on the streets, hardly any traffic - yet the bus somehow still manages to be 10 minutes late. Just when I thought I'd seen everything. I guess not being "on time" is my punishment for thinking too much about time.
...But that's exactly what Time Travel is. Moving forward in time faster than everyone or everything else. I mean, we're talking about the same thing here, just explaining it using different words...

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I want a pet, but I also don't want something that is a liability. Do small zombies exist? :/ I don't like the big ones so very much.
Ever played minecraft? In the last updates they added random spawning baby zombies.
The small zombies are even scarier than the normal ones!
Get a cat! XD

TYLERDM94

The White Wolf
its been a while since ive been on the forum and i gotta say i love the new look of the place gives off a great vibe

also great to be back see some of the old faces are still around hopefully the place will liven up again

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Cats are pretty low maintenance...
Cats are low maintenance, but you can't leave them for days and you have to buy them food. Zombies finds food on their own, and they don't depend on their owner so much? I'm not talking about baby zombies, just small in size.

Ever played minecraft? In the last updates they added random spawning baby zombies.
The small zombies are even scarier than the normal ones!
Get a cat! XD
I just know Minecraft is a game, nothing else. I picture it being a game where you mine for minerals, but there are baby zombies in it?!

Now I have a few very important questions. Are zombies born zombies? The Resident Evil zombies are infected humans, are they still fertile? Can they get some sort of offspring?

Are Minecraft zombies different? I guess yes.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Yeah I know and I'm sorry; haven't really had much incentive to come by as of late. For a while there it was like everyone I knew was gone and there wasn't much in way of conversation if you know what I mean. I'm glad to see a lot of the vets back, though. Missed you guys. :)
I know, but now it seems as if alot of us are coming back so we can get this place awesome again!

CT: I totally need a day-planner. PR is kicking my ass.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Cats are low maintenance, but you can't leave them for days and you have to buy them food. Zombies finds food on their own, and they don't depend on their owner so much? I'm not talking about baby zombies, just small in size.

I just know Minecraft is a game, nothing else. I picture it being a game where you mine for minerals, but there are baby zombies in it?!

Now I have a few very important questions. Are zombies born zombies? The Resident Evil zombies are infected humans, are they still fertile? Can they get some sort of offspring?

Are Minecraft zombies different? I guess yes.
In the remake of Dawn of the Dead, a woman who is about to give birth is bitten and infected. She then gives birth to an already zombified baby, however, I wouldn't say zombies are fertile.

Top Bottom