• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? (Part 2)

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I also saw it, but I wasn't that impressed. While it's definitely a fun movie with amazing action sequences and great chemistry between Ryan and Hugh... Story-wise it's quite weak, and the villain's motivations are as boring as someone like Malekith from Thor 2. I thought the stakes would be higher after watching the trailers with all the time-travelling stuff and so on, but most of the film actually takes place in the same "area". That being said I'm very happy that Ryan and Hugh finally got to make the movie that both of them as well as the fans have wanted for like 20 years. It's bound to have a positive response. I guess I'm in the minority.

Then again I didn't like Endgame or Far From Home either, and those were both extremely popular films that got rave reviews from just about every corner. Personally, I just feel the whole multiverse/time travel stuff relies too heavily on cameos and spectacle for people to go "Woaaah" about. Story takes a back seat, and I don't like that. Everybody who knows me on this forum knows that I always put story first before everything else.

A great example from the film would be
the inclusion of Gambit. I mean, Channing Tatum does an amazing job in the role! It's the best live-action Gambit by far, and his powers looked incredible. They truly gave Gambit the most badass action sequences in the entire film. While all of this is great and all - what's the point of his inclusion other than a glorified cameo? What purpose does it serve the story? Nothing, and that's my main criticism of this film, and the problem with these multiverse films in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I wasn't too bothered by the story given the circumstances in which this film is even happening and its overall meta narrative. While it's not exactly a "great" film, I think it serves its purpose well enough and was exactly what it needed to be, a bridge from FOX Studios to the MCU. Based on the reactions to the film so far, I feel like it's lost on so many people just how unprecedented a movie like this really is.

Deadpool and Wolverine is easily my favorite post-Endgame MCU film next to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. As far as these multiverse movies go, I liked it a lot better than No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness. However, like No Way Home, there are elements of the plot that seem kinda stupid if you're familiar with the other worlds they're pulling from.

I actually saw a really good analogy from IGN likening Deadpool and Wolverine to the Royal Rumble in WWE and honestly, I think that can be applied to the MCU as a whole. It is often said that wrestling is about moments and that's exactly what this film was filled with, moments, to elicit a reaction from the audience. It isn't often that I can say I really loved an MCU movie, yet there are many moments that stand out throughout the years that have made the MCU the juggernaut that it is and this movie is definitely one of them.

As a fan of superheroes before it was cool to like superheroes, I both love and hate what the MCU has done for comic book movies, but I also can't deny how f*cking cool it was to see Hugh Jackman finally get to portray Wolverine without any compromises. They definitely got good mileage out of him in this one, but I hope they can squeeze him into Secret Wars before we say goodbye to him again. Interacting with The Avengers and possibly even Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man as well as fighting Hulk are like the final things he can still do as Wolverine before bowing out now that he's gotten the Deadpool crossover and comic accurate suit checked off.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
As long as we’re still on the subject of the MCU, the trailer for one of the few other MCU projects I’m actually looking forward to at this point, DareDevil: Born Again just got leaked and… dare I say, I like what I see (it sounds so foreign to say that about anything MCU post-Endgame)? It looks pretty on-par tonally with the Netflix series, and I love that they’re bringing back Karen and Foggy with their OG actors to boot when that originally wasn’t in the cards apparently (they were originally supposed to die offscreen early in the show according to leaks, you read that right). Apparently Kevin Feige had it rewritten and reshot to more closely match the original/Netflix show, and we can count that with him finally letting Ryan and Hugh make their bromance movie they’ve long been wanting to make as one of the few bright spot decisions he’s made post-Endgame. Based on the story leaks, it looks to be going in a rather adult direction just like the OG show.

Oh, and if the leaked set photos are any indication, letting Bernthal be the comic-accurate ruthless Punisher we’ve come to know from the Netflix shows (where he gave us by far the best live-action version of The Punisher to date and was easily the highlight of DDS2) likewise without any compromises, who I’m also amped to see back (he got a nice crowd pop when they showed Jon’s Frank Castle in the trailer). He literally said he’d only come back if they agreed not to Disneyfy his character, and it looks like they’re making good on that commitment. Oh, and he’s got the skull symbol, so no worries there, either.

And speaking of doing right by the fans, Deadpool & Wolverine is the second R-rated movie to join the billion dollar club, and in record time to boot (in just its third weekend). This bodes well for Blade if it ever gets made, which is sadly looking less and less likely as time goes on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom