• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? (Part 2)

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
It's kinda embarrassing that I commented on a thread when I first joined here and didn't realize it was a couple years old and asking a question was irrelevant. xD

Also, why do some people have green gooey stuff on their avatars?

lorddemolatron

CP and BP fan forever
Geez nearly had food poisoning well beacuse in end one of mine country dishes called Hunters Strew mine mom done in end had with edible mushroom one toxic but i got from it to low parts to have more hard repercusions from it, but so close again

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I can't stand when people who are or have been recipients of welfare or other forms of social assistance hold strong political beliefs against state-provided social assistance. So, it's okay for you to use it at the time because you needed it, but God forbid anyone else need help feeding their kids. The epitome of selfishness, I'd say.
So because they are principally against a benefit, they are hypocrites if they don't refuse to use it?

I'm thinking that I don't expect people to be that idealistic. They wants to change the system, but they also knows that not making use of the benefits isn't going to change much.

But if people are against benefits, and at the same time cheat on the welfare system, then I agree with you.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
So because they are principally against a benefit, they are hypocrites if they don't refuse to use it?
Yes, I most certainly believe that would make them hypocritical. Don't get me wrong - I don't think it's possible to go through life without being a bit hypocritical here and there, but if one strongly believes that people should 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps and work'... then put your money where your mouth is, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and work, heh.

Wouldn't I be a hypocrite if I was principally opposed to eating meat and wanted to ban meat for everyone... but then ate meat anyway just because it was available to me? It's not about being idealistic... it's a simple matter of principle.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and 3 trailers are being released tomorrow, can't wait! :D
Apparently it was over inflated fan speculation and there is no trailer :(

I'm still hopeful for it though.
A new nobody enemy has been revealed in the likeness of marluxia :D I wonder if that makes his return?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Wouldn't I be a hypocrite if I was principally opposed to eating meat and wanted to ban meat for everyone... but then ate meat anyway just because it was available to me? It's not about being idealistic... it's a simple matter of principle.
Yes and no. I'm principally against eating chicken, and I never choose chicken when I have a choice. But when someone serves me chicken, what do I do? If there is no alternative I try to forget it's chicken and eat it, it doesn't hurt to be pragmatic sometimes. I do like the taste but I don't like the chicken industry, for several reasons.

I don't know exactly what you had in mind when you brought up this subject. Maybe I would have thought the same as you did, but I get the impression that you generalize and this is where I have to differ. There could be many reasons why someone make use of something at the same time they are against it.

The way I read your message it sounds a bit black and white. How much/little of a hypocrite they are also depends on if they just are against the benefit, or if they oppose it religiously.

I also live in a country where most benefits are just handed to you, it's automated and you get it without asking. It does sound good and it is good, but I think it's too much. It's easy for me to associate with someone who are against some benefit when I live in a country that are overly generous. The taxes are over the top too.

I also understand how someone may be against a benefit but doesn't want to be the only one to refuse to accept it. Maybe they want an alternative system with other benefits that are not offered yet? There are so many angles to view it from, we're just scratching the surface.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
If you are principally opposed to eating chicken but would do so anyway simply because someone served you chicken – then you’re not that principally opposed to eating chicken. You just have a preference not to. I have a preference not to eat meat as well – but I’m not principally opposed to eating meat because I fully acknowledge my lack of self-control around sushi. I would be a hypocrite if I told others not to eat meat while doing so myself. Someone who holds strong vegan or vegetarian beliefs wouldn’t knowingly eat that chicken, unless they no longer desire to subscribe to vegetarianism/veganism.

To frame it another way, I am principally opposed to pet stores selling animals and I would support legislation that criminalized selling such pets as part of a broader move against puppy/kitten mills. Therefore, I have, and will always chose to adopt, regardless of whether I have an option to buy.

I am ignorant of Norway's social assistance programs - I am a Canadian who lives in Canada, not Norway, lol. I didn’t intend for this to be an argument – I was simply venting my frustration after a particularly aggravating discussion with my extended family. My frames of references are twofold; I have an uncle who used social assistance a few years ago to get himself through a difficult period and now that he is financially secure, he is against Canada providing social assistance to its citizens. It absolutely is hypocritical because he didn’t mind EI when he needed it – but all of a sudden now that he’s doing well, everyone else who uses it is a lazy turd. In Canada, social assistance is there for those who need it. I don’t understand how you can be principally against something you need to survive.

Likewise, I also watched an interview where Ted Cruz, who has devoted his career to whining about and trying to dismantle Obamacare, had to justify why he chose to use it after his wife took a leave of absence from her job at Goldman Sachs. Sure, he’s eligible for it through his work, but he’s a wealthy man and if he was a more principled one, he would have sought private insurance instead. But he said himself that ‘the only good thing about it’ was that it was also available to him. He doesn’t want everyone else to have it – but eh, when he needs it, it’s a-ok.

These are the kinds of attitudes I was referencing and why I believe this mindset is selfish. If your government ever gave you a helping hand when you didn't know where your next meal came from, then have the decency not to be a jackass when your fellow citizens need a hand up as well. And if you don't need it, then don't use it.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
CT: I hate that feeling of crushing disappointment when you forget that it's coming up to winter and you wake up randomly and it's still dark, and you think, 'Oh, it's still dark, I probably still have a while to sleep'.

Then you check the time and you're up in fifteen minutes.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
There are so many Christmas things around now! I'm so excited. I just wish we got more snow here. Last winter it snowed once and didn't last for long at all. I can't even remember the last time we got a proper snowfall.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Well just finished watching the first Rambo movie. And that scene at the end. I don't think any human could watch it without crying.

Watching Rambo without crying is impossible that is what i think.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
The coca cola Christmas truck has been confirmed to appear in my town this year. Although there's many people trying to ban it saying it's pushing unhealthy drinks upon their kids.

Err... Get over yourselves, if you're against it then don't go to see it.

Its a bit of fun and excitement before the Christmas holidays

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
The coca cola Christmas truck has been confirmed to appear in my town this year. Although there's many people trying to ban it saying it's pushing unhealthy drinks upon their kids.

Err... Get over yourselves, if you're against it then don't go to see it.

Its a bit of fun and excitement before the Christmas holidays
That's just ridiculous. The Coca-Cola truck is like a Christmas tradition now, and seeing a truck on one day a year isn't going to change whether or not a kid drinks unhealthy drinks for the rest of the year.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
How can they even think about banning a Coca-Cola truck? It is thanks to Coca-Cola (or Coke) that Santa Claus exists. Coca-Cola is not very healthy but it's Christmas for Christ's sake.

Ban the people who wants to ruin Christmas!

Top Bottom