• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) RE2 Leon vs. RE4 Leon

codename: HUNK

Leon in RE2 is very different than the RE4 version. In RE2, he seems more human, more reel, and less emo and girly. Another thing, RE4 Leon had no emotions. It was always boring monotone with him. He doesn't even look much like the original Leon. I must know your appinions, which leon is better?

No emotions are you kidding? It was RED Leon that was the total loser. IMO

I love both RE2 and RE4 Leon. I can't decide which one I love more they both STAR in the two best selling Resident Evil games.

Id give more detail, but im on my way to bed. Maybe tommorrow.

BTW I really don't understand what was so "emo" about Leon in RE4. I mean on a serious educated note, there is nothing really emo about Leon that I can see. (Not to say im calling you stupid.)

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
codename: HUNK;49368 said:
Leon in RE2 is very different than the RE4 version. In RE2, he seems more human, more reel, and less emo and girly. Another thing, RE4 Leon had no emotions. It was always boring monotone with him. He doesn't even look much like the original Leon. I must know your appinions, which leon is better?
RE4 Leon is emo and girly?

I wouldn't say he's girly at all, I think he's more like a robot.
And as for 'emo', he's not much more emotional than a robot.

I should also add that I've not completed RE4 and I don't know the RE2 Leon (only seen some images).

Levan

Polkka. lol
I wonder why they change Leon every time he appears? RE2 he was a rookie cop, inexperienced but was still pretty good. Then he becomes an expert and an agent at RE4, and yes, Romero pointed out what I wanted to say, he's a robot. Almost no emotion. D:

Then comes Degeneration. Leon's looks... I'll just say, lol. And the way that they were trying to make him bad-ass failed miserably.

For me, I'm more of the RE4 Leon, since he's practically inbetween the RE2 and Degeneration ones.

wpstudart

I don't want to see him in Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. Maybe he turned himself in a punk Gothic? I hope not :p

I don't know which is better, I think on Resident Evil 4 Leon is more skilled, experienced, but I like him in Resident Evil 2... I just don't know...

And the emo that people say he is, it's just because his hair, not because the meaning of the word, just that new style. But you guys probably know that :lol:

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I'm going to say RE 4 Leon, only because I didn't like Leon as a character until RE 4. I wouldn't say 4's Leon is 'monotone' at all... that's more Degeneration if anything.

In RE2, he was described as young and reckless, and I liked that abot him. In RE4, He is so mature it's boring. And yes, the only reason I say he's emo is because of his hair style.

Torque

RE2 for me was when leon was bad ass. They may have portrayed him as a rookie cop, but gosh darn it he could sure whip up a nice cold dish of whoopazz :D, sure.. leon in RE4 is more experienced and skilled, but he just doesn't seem bad ass nemore. I'd say the plaga's have ruined him in the essence of his true nature (lets face it, we all h8 las plagas right?.. i know i do)

Popo

i think a lot has changed between these two games, the voice, in RE2 his hair is red and in RE4 hes blonde, the hairstyle and much more...

my personal opinion i think RE2 Leon is best, youre right about in RE4 he has no emotions, in RE2 he's more caring, more badass, he has feelings, oh and in the end of RE4 he turned down ashley i mean cmon, i wouldnt turn her down, no matter how annoying she is....eheheheh

EDIT: yup the apearence of the las plagas ruined the game's horror, it wasnt scary facing village people and monks

La Femme Fatale;49454 said:
I'm going to say RE 4 Leon, only because I didn't like Leon as a character until RE 4. I wouldn't say 4's Leon is 'monotone' at all... that's more Degeneration if anything.

I really don't see how anyone can even try to compare RED Leon with RE4 Leon. I thought Leon was great in part 4. I also don't see how RE2 Leon was any more exciting than 4. Which is why I can't choose who I like better. They're both badass in their own way.

Alot of people say that Leon was too skilled or James Bondish in RE4...Dude, if I went through what he went through Id start taking Ninjitsu government agent classes too and be ready for the next outbreak. Not to mention, Leon is really not that perfect in RE4 as people say he is, unlike in RED he was flawed, had emotions and actually got hurt and needed people's help just like in 2.

Another thing that gets me is when people said he was cheesy...seriously...no like, seriously. Out of all the corney out of date nerdy things he said in part 2, people knock him for the one liners in 4? You gotta be kidding me.

Not to insult anyone, and this may not even apply to some of you, but I think alot of the hating comes down to people being mad because there's "no zombies" in the game. Alot of people are so outraged and upset over the fact that the zombies are gone, that they make up silly reasons to dislike something that is not even really worth the attention.

And I think the whole emo thing is just redundant inless people mean it as a joke. I just can't picture the developers creating Leon with the intentions of making him look emo any more then them making RE5 Chris with the intentions of wanting fans to think he's on steriods.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Levan;49410 said:
I wonder why they change Leon every time he appears? RE2 he was a rookie cop, inexperienced but was still pretty good. Then he becomes an expert and an agent at RE4, and yes, Romero pointed out what I wanted to say, he's a robot. Almost no emotion. D:

Then comes Degeneration. Leon's looks... I'll just say, lol. And the way that they were trying to make him bad-ass failed miserably.

For me, I'm more of the RE4 Leon, since he's practically inbetween the RE2 and Degeneration ones.
If Leon is a robot in RE4, what the heck is he in Degeneration?? :lol:

codename: HUNK;49462 said:
And yes, the only reason I say he's emo is because of his hair style.
Hmmm, "emo" isn't an abbreviation of "emotional"?

It just means he has a gothic hair due. bY THE WAY, cHRIS IS TOTALLY on steroids, People can devote their entire lives to body building, but nobody looks like that without a little "help". SERIOUSLY! His biceps are bigger than his freakin head!

The lack of zombies isn't the only thing that got to me. Personally, I thought the original RE games were perfection. Then, without warning, they go back to the drawing board and reinvent everything. Frankly, I don't care who you are, that's just wrong!

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
013;49574 said:
Alot of people say that Leon was too skilled or James Bondish in RE4...Dude, if I went through what he went through Id start taking Ninjitsu government agent classes too and be ready for the next outbreak. Not to mention, Leon is really not that perfect in RE4 as people say he is, unlike in RED he was flawed, had emotions and actually got hurt and needed people's help just like in 2.
I've seen a couple members here use the arguement that Leon's personality changed over-night from RE 2to RE 4. I do not consider the time-lapse between 2 and 4 to be an over-night thing. I mean, six or seven years passed between that period- he went through an incredibly tramatic experience in RE 2, and then some hard-ass training to make it as a government agent- directly under the president. I don't expect him to be the same naive rookie cop he was in 2, and I'm not sure why people do. I think the development his character made is entirely valid.

Take a look at the Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal series for instance. Clarice was still in training in the SotL, yet in Hannibal she's a hardened officer after ten or so years. I think this is very similar to Leon's development, and it makes sense. It would be much less realistic to expect 4's Leon to still be the same person he was in RE 2, considering what he 'went through'.

You're right, he would have changed considerably after 6 years since the racoon city incident. But they shouldn't have made the game take place so far into the future. He's very highly trained and he gets an arsinal of weapons big enough to take out an army. It defeats the point of survival horror.Truth be told, Leon was alot more exciting when he was more recklace and inexperianced. It's who he was. They shouldn't have changed that.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
013;49574 said:
La Femme Fatale;49687 said:
I've seen a couple members here use the arguement that Leon's personality changed over-night from RE 2to RE 4. I do not consider the time-lapse between 2 and 4 to be an over-night thing. I mean, six or seven years passed between that period- he went through an incredibly tramatic experience in RE 2, and then some hard-ass training to make it as a government agent- directly under the president. I don't expect him to be the same naive rookie cop he was in 2, and I'm not sure why people do. I think the development his character made is entirely valid.

You two, are absolutely right. I don't know so much about what Leon went through before RE4, but 013's comment got me thinking. It's not at all strange if his personality changed into what I call an emotionless robot.
I happen to know a little about this. I have not had a job nowhere near as "exciting" as Leon's, but I've had a pretty stressful job where people almost were expected to change, and many ended up unfit for paid employment. I've heard and seen enough about that to be able to familiarize myself with it.

So yes, Leon could definitely change very very much during all those years. I would say it was unrealistic if he did not.

But for gameplay I wish he wasn't that cold. But as I learn more about his past, I can easier forgive it.

^But I really don't see him as cold or emotionless in RE4. To me that's more like Degeneration Leon.

You're right, he would have changed considerably after 6 years since the racoon city incident. But they shouldn't have made the game take place so far into the future. He's very highly trained and he gets an arsinal of weapons big enough to take out an army. It defeats the point of survival horror.Truth be told, Leon was alot more exciting when he was more recklace and inexperianced. It's who he was. They shouldn't have changed that.

That would make no sense if Leon was a government agent with no experiance. As the years go by the characters are going to change. Honestly though, imagine Leon in RE4 with the same exact RE2 personality. Naive and has no idea what to do, how would that look? They had to go into the future eventually. And personally, I think RE4 Leon is pretty much RE2 Leon simply smarter with more skills, which makes sense.

While I do hate how every other game now has to be like 15 years apart, that's unfortunately the way Capcom made it. But honestly, I think they did a good job with Leon's personality jump between the games.

codename: HUNK;49615 said:
It just means he has a gothic hair due. bY THE WAY, cHRIS IS TOTALLY on steroids, People can devote their entire lives to body building, but nobody looks like that without a little "help". SERIOUSLY! His biceps are bigger than his freakin head!

I've seen and know people in real life that big, and they were not on steriods. If you have the right genes a guy can get that big. And Chris is really not that huge, his biceps are not bigger than his head. They even toned down his size before the release of the game. I mean yeah he's bigger than before, but he's not a big as people exagerate.

Top Bottom