• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) RE2 Leon vs. RE4 Leon

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
That's not a problem actually. The developes could as well say that he suffers from a mental disorder which causes him to act more immaturely than he is. However the same doesn't apply for his beauty and he becomes ugly. Thus girls will start liking real guys again and everyone will be happy. Peace.
Grasping at straws a tad with that one, eh?

sadistic_greyfox

I'd say professional and sure of his skills Leon from 4 onwards. It's fun playing as rookies for the first time but you know....they should eventually mature as a series progress.

codename: HUNK

La Femme Fatale;77695 said:

Grasping at straws a tad with that one, eh?

I'm just curious about your opinions. I would really like to see another RE game with the original Leon. I wouldn't really care if capcom had to disregard RE4 to do it. If they could go back to the drawing boards, how should they make Leon? Better yet, how would you do it? Do you like his robot-like RE4 appearance? Or his young and reckless appearence in RE2? Or do you prefer to see RED or REDC Leons? Would you want to mix some of these attributes? What are your favorite attributes about each one?

Albert Valentine

Alluring Evil
RE4 Leon was no robot. And Capcom can't disregard RE4, especially after that huge success and popularity It brought to the series. Rookie Leon is long gone, and that kind of character which he had back in RE2, becomes monotonous. Not to mention that It makes Leon more of a joke character with his constant rookieness, amateurish and reckless behavior. He's a US Secret Agent now.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
codename: HUNK;77814 said:
I'm just curious about your opinions. I would really like to see another RE game with the original Leon. I wouldn't really care if capcom had to disregard RE4 to do it. If they could go back to the drawing boards, how should they make Leon? Better yet, how would you do it? Do you like his robot-like RE4 appearance? Or his young and reckless appearence in RE2? Or do you prefer to see RED or REDC Leons? Would you want to mix some of these attributes? What are your favorite attributes about each one?
That comment was a reference to Fallen's theory that a mental impediment would make RE 2 Leon.

Anyway, I agree entirely with Albert. I don't find Leon robot-like in RE 4 at all, I think that's more 'each to his own' than actual truth. Leon WAS robot-like in Degeneration - he was incredibly wooden. In fact, I usually disregard Degeneration because I felt his character was, well, ridiculously out of character. There was way too much of a difference between RE 4 and Degeneration to consider it valid. I can't comment on Darkside because I haven't played it, but I really don't consider 4's Leon robot-like at all.

I suppose you mean physical characteristics, correct? I want to see Leon the way he would look in the timeline of the sixth game. I don't want a Leon who is in his mid to late thirties looking or acting like he did in his early to mid twenties. People age, and their personalities and characteristics change with it. As I've said previously in this thread, it would be (in my opinion) a disservice to his character to make him young and reckless again. Why would someone who has been a secret agent under the President for ten or so years still be 'young and reckless'?

To conclude, I really don't want to see any of the old Leon's back, at least not in their entirety. I want Leon to have the physical and psychological characteristics he should have whenever RE 6 is to occur. If RE 6 takes place when RE 2 does, then, yes, I'm all for bringing RE 2 Leon back.

Albert Valentine

Alluring Evil
La Femme Fatale;77861 said:
Anyway, I agree entirely with Albert. I don't find Leon robot-like in RE 4 at all, I think that's more 'each to his own' than actual truth. Leon WAS robot-like in Degeneration - he was incredibly wooden. In fact, I usually disregard Degeneration because I felt his character was, well, ridiculously out of character. There was way too much of a difference between RE 4 and Degeneration to consider it valid. I can't comment on Darkside because I haven't played it, but I really don't consider 4's Leon robot-like at all.

Degeneration Leon and the whole movie was a degeneration to the series. RE4 Leon is more alert to hazards, more cautious and professional and way more badass. I don't see where's the robotic characteristic in all of this.

I suppose you mean physical characteristics, correct? I want to see Leon the way he would look in the timeline of the sixth game. I don't want a Leon who is in his mid to late thirties looking or acting like he did in his early to mid twenties. People age, and their personalities and characteristics change with it. As I've said previously in this thread, it would be (in my opinion) a disservice to his character to make him young and reckless again. Why would someone who has been a secret agent under the President for ten or so years still be 'young and reckless'?

Well, RE6 has more chances to be a sequel to RE5, with some other chances of It being a total reboot of the series. There's no reason to go back for more prequels as what has happened has been mostly revealed.

With that said, Leon and Claire (not excluding Ada), would be 10-12 years older than the RE4/RE: D counterparts. Even chronologically speaking, It would be a major flaw in Leon's character to be still 'young and reckless'.

To conclude, I really don't want to see any of the old Leon's back, at least not in their entirety. I want Leon to have the physical and psychological characteristics he should have whenever RE 6 is to occur.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

It seems nobody is reading any of my former arguments. I said, earlier, that letting the story take place so far into the future was stupid, and it should have taken place WHILE Leon was still young. It's a stupid, yet all too common mistake for story writers. As the story went on, they changed his character all too drastically. You can't take someone's character and suddenly change it. That ruins the whole plot. It should have taken place a few months after RE2. If you're going to make such a change, you have to build up to it.

Capcom, however, doesn't care about the story, anymore. It's no longer a survival horror; it's a mindless action shooter. It is the death of the RE series as we know it, and a disgrace to all original resident evil fans. I mean, come on. Leon, that same rookie cop, becoming a federal agent? Him having a HUGE arsenal of weapons and martial art techniques? A foreigner trying to rule the world by kidnapping the president’s daughter? It's the worst and most plain and boring story line I've yet to see, and quite frankly, I don't think getting RE5 is even worth it after seeing the garbage. It's less horror and realism. What's next? Will they make Super Sayan Goku the main character of RE6? I wouldn't be surprised, but frankly, it would make for a better story.

Anyway, my point is, RE4 was a mistake, as well as doing away with Raccoon City. They should have saved that for the end. If anything, it should have ended with RE3 so the series could at least keep its pride as a survival horror sensation. That's why there were epilogue files. EPILOGUE. Yes, the after story. After as in, when it's finished. The series is dead, and Capcom did a good job at making it forgotten to the world. The only thing RE4 is good for is playing hunk on mercs mode. That's my final input on this.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
REchangedme;77507 said:
I have to say both leons we re b a RE2 leon was b a
I don't understand what you're saying? "a" and "b"?

RE4 leon was b a
? :unsure:

codename: HUNK;77612 said:
New question...

If Leon were to be in RE6, which Leon would you want to see? RE2, RE4, RED, or REDC?

I would still have to go with RE2.
I like RE4 Leon. He's more badass than me but I can relate to him.

And anything else I could say has LFF already said. :)

Albert Valentine

Alluring Evil
codename: HUNK;77919 said:
It seems nobody is reading any of my former arguments. I said, earlier, that letting the story take place so far into the future was stupid, and it should have taken place WHILE Leon was still young. It's a stupid, yet all too common mistake for story writers. As the story went on, they changed his character all too drastically. You can't take someone's character and suddenly change it. That ruins the whole plot. It should have taken place a few months after RE2. If you're going to make such a change, you have to build up to it.

There was no drastic change, except It was the best and more logical choice for his character to evolve. It seems you're stuck with the past. Raccoon City is long gone, and while the years have been passing by, It is necessary for the genre to mix It up with action shooters. Survival-only as It was, Resident Evil was doomed to become a second handed game.

The Darkside Chronicles explains that build up. Play the game and see It for yourself.

Capcom, however, doesn't care about the story, anymore. It's no longer a survival horror; it's a mindless action shooter. It is the death of the RE series as we know it, and a disgrace to all original resident evil fans. I mean, come on. Leon, that same rookie cop, becoming a federal agent? Him having a HUGE arsenal of weapons and martial art techniques? A foreigner trying to rule the world by kidnapping the president’s daughter? It's the worst and most plain and boring story line I've yet to see, and quite frankly, I don't think getting RE5 is even worth it after seeing the garbage. It's less horror and realism. What's next? Will they make Super Sayan Goku the main character of RE6? I wouldn't be surprised, but frankly, it would make for a better story.

Resident Evil 4 is the reason Resident Evil survived. Its story WAS MEANT TO FIGHT CLICHES by exposing the story itself as a cliche, kind of a 'only a cliche can beat a cliche in a world of cliches'.

Anyway, my point is, RE4 was a mistake, as well as doing away with Raccoon City. They should have saved that for the end. If anything, it should have ended with RE3 so the series could at least keep its pride as a survival horror sensation. That's why there were epilogue files. EPILOGUE. Yes, the after story. After as in, when it's finished. The series is dead, and Capcom did a good job at making it forgotten to the world. The only thing RE4 is good for is playing hunk on mercs mode. That's my final input on this.

I'm glad It didn't end with RE3.

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
Same here. RE4 totally ISN'T a mistake! I enjoyed the game and even I'm so glad it didn't end with RE3. RE4 is epic win, in my opinion :3

Albert Valentine

Alluring Evil
JaguarsSoul;77981 said:
Same here. RE4 totally ISN'T a mistake! I enjoyed the game and even I'm so glad it didn't end with RE3. RE4 is epic win, in my opinion :3

I still remember when I played RE3, which was my first RE game I ever played, and when I ended It I kept wondering how RE4 would be like, and It didn't disappoint me at all, on the contrary.

Albert Valentine;77967 said:

There was no drastic change, except It was the best and more logical choice for his character to evolve. It seems you're stuck with the past. Raccoon City is long gone, and while the years have been passing by, It is necessary for the genre to mix It up with action shooters. Survival-only as It was, Resident Evil was doomed to become a second handed game.

The Darkside Chronicles explains that build up. Play the game and see It for yourself.

Resident Evil 4 is the reason Resident Evil survived. Its story WAS MEANT TO FIGHT CLICHES by exposing the story itself as a cliche, kind of a 'only a cliche can beat a cliche in a world of cliches'.

I'm glad It didn't end with RE3.

you're right, I am fixating on the past. I apologize if I offended any fan boys/girls. I do, however, think that the story is bland. It's not very original or unique. The evil man trying to take over the world with his group of accomplices, with one hero defeating all of them. He saves the day and gets the girl (kind of).. The gameplay is pretty good, though I did prefer more of a survival horror theme. Leon was a flat character with no personal demons of his own. I think it had the potential to be better than it was. Ashley was the worst RE character in existence. Luis is awesome, though. They shouldn't have killed him off. He's another one of those characters with unused potential. I would have enjoyed playing as him in mercs. The absence of zombies is irritating to me. It's what the series is famous for. The old bosses were more intimidating, as well. DR. salvador and prof. salvador were pretty cool bad guys, though. That chainsaw starting up used to make my heart rate double. I do prefer the old games, but I'll get over it. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Albert Valentine

Alluring Evil
codename: HUNK;78258 said:
you're right, I am fixating on the past. I apologize if I offended any fan boys/girls.

It could be just a preference of yours. Personally, I like every character in the series, as every each of them adheres to his or her own personality and keeps It intact.

I do, however, think that the story is bland. It's not very original or unique. The evil man trying to take over the world with his group of accomplices, with one hero defeating all of them. He saves the day and gets the girl (kind of)..

Not many games can deliver original or unique stories. Resident Evil in all of its entirety is not that much original, It's more of a mainstream game rather than a connoisseur's one.

Leon didn't get the girl. The man feels for the red dress bitch. Can't blame him.

The gameplay is pretty good, though I did prefer more of a survival horror theme. Leon was a flat character with no personal demons of his own. I think it had the potential to be better than it was. Ashley was the worst RE character in existence. Luis is awesome, though. They shouldn't have killed him off. He's another one of those characters with unused potential. I would have enjoyed playing as him in mercs. The absence of zombies is irritating to me. It's what the series is famous for. The old bosses were more intimidating, as well. DR. salvador and prof. salvador were pretty cool bad guys, though. That chainsaw starting up used to make my heart rate double.

Ashley was the same as Sherry and Manuela in RE: DC. She was just playing her role, albeit that role is annoying - I'll give you that.

Luis had potential, yes, but outside RE4, he wouldn't be doing much so the most logic thing to do was killing him.

I do prefer the old games, but I'll get over it. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Matter of tastes, no need to offend anyone unless you haven't done It directly to certain members.

N3M3S1S1294

RE4 Leon wasnt the same. In RE2 he was fighting ZOMBIES not crazy Europeans lol. RE4 he didnt have any emotions he wasnt even happy to see Ada :p

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Well, to be fair to his character - he obviously heard before this mission that Ada could still be alive and that she was working for Wesker. So my guess is that he just wasn't too thrilled with her at that point. It's entirely possible that he underwent that whole 'OMG she's alive' routine before we meet him again.

N3M3S1S1294

Thats true. I still expected him to show some kind of emotion other than -_- to actually physically see her.

Albert_Wesker

Premium
I preferred RE2 Leon, I don't know why. That's not to say I didn't like RE4 Leon, maybe it's just cause I preferred RE2 over 4.

icydeath7

The god of walls
loook the truth is hes kinda boring in re4 and reD he kinda had more emotions in reDC but he was best in re2 he seemed kinda naive and unexperienced

nradams

Niki
icydeath7;87801 said:
loook the truth is hes kinda boring in re4 and reD he kinda had more emotions in reDC but he was best in re2 he seemed kinda naive and unexperienced

I agree! That is exactly what I was trying to say!

Top Bottom