• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) Does anyone else miss the old fashioned ways of re?

codename: HUNK

I see and acknowledge what you're saying spike. Well, you're not wrong, though I preferred when action wasn't so heavy and the sense of survival horror still had a role. It's just a shame for me. It looks more like a war/ Halo kind of game now. I'll always prefer the first three installments.

Albert_Wesker

Premium
I kind of agree with both parties, I miss the emphasis on survival horror, but I think RE4 and RE5 are very entertaining games. And in RE4 the horror element is still there, if not a little overshadowed by the action element.

T-Vaccinated Kid

Neo-Umbrella Head Zoologist
Well its like I said:

The gameplay mechanics in RE4 are the same as the previous games, except for the change to precision aiming. The only reason the over the shoulder camera was added was so the precision aiming could be effectively implemented. The only thing the change in camera affects is the player's perspective. While this does feel different, its in no way a bad change and, in my opinion, makes the moments where things jump out at you even scarier.

While these changes did allow Capcom to design more of the events in the game around combat, it also allowed them do new things with the basic enemies and with the bosses. The enemies in RE4 were amazing. They were some of the scariest in the series. And with precision aiming, melee, and an OTS camera, combat is more interactive and exciting than it ever was before in the series.

The way RE4 is presented really is what keeps RE4 feeling like RE. The way the cinematics are used is pretty much the same as in earlier games. The enemies always get a tasteful dramatic entrance.

I hope that clarifies my views on the game for you Spike. I agree with you that RE4 does not deserve to be hated by any fan, but I also understand why some fans prefer the older games because those are much slower paced with gameplay driven by your location, situation, and equipment and not by which enemies are around.

galactus

codename: HUNK;87135 said:
wow, excuse me, sir. I didn't realize you know EVERYTHING. You don't have the time to find my posts before you run your mouth, but you have time to degrade me and shoot my posts down? skrew you, dick head.

:lol: nice comeback reply HUNK and just like to say that your conversation with Spike made me laugh:lol::D:ninja:

nradams

Niki
Its funny because even though the graphics were so lame and old, the stories and the feeling was so much more scary.

Albert_Wesker

Premium
nradams;87852 said:
Its funny because even though the graphics were so lame and old, the stories and the feeling was so much more scary.

Agreed, the overall atmosphere of the old RE games were alot better, IMO. That's not to say I didn't enjoy 4 and 5 though.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
codename: HUNK;87637 said:
I see and acknowledge what you're saying spike. Well, you're not wrong, though I preferred when action wasn't so heavy and the sense of survival horror still had a role. It's just a shame for me. It looks more like a war/ Halo kind of game now. I'll always prefer the first three installments.

There we go, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

The action is a little heavier, while the survival horror still has a role in RE4, not a supporting role, but a role just as big, if not bigger than the action, RE5 of course really did cross certain lines. That is why I don't like RE4 being placed in a box along with RE5, as RE4 is not the perpetrator.

@T-Kid, I really like what you said about how RE4's presentation, cinimatics and all, they really contributed to it being very RE like, that is exactly what I think.

Looking at the earlier trailers for RE5, it looked like it had the presentation, but the final product(after all the racist claims and stupid stuff like that) was really lacking...it wasn't horrible, by no means, but it wasn't as it really should have been. The Gold Edition with it's great extras like LIN make it a lot better though.

About the pacing in RE4, a major difference is that we are not stuck in a secluded area, like a mansion, PD, hospital, or anything like that, but instead cover much more area. There is exploration, and investigation, but I can admit that I prefer investigating a single architecture like the Spencer Estate. Again though, we have already been there, and we can't go back to these locations(except for prequels and remakes), we have to move on to new places. I'm sure we will get some new investigative roles in future games, perhaps stuff like LIN, but maybe not having a constant partner.

Of course it's been several days since I had last checked in, but I'm definately anxious to hear Capcomplicated's reply, perhaps my reply is taking awhile to read?:)

marcel_resident

i miss those days of the old resident evil killing zombies , go in a infested city , but the point is i like more resident evil 1,2,3 than
4 and 5 and my brother think the same we talk about that and they wait
a old resident but with the camaras and grafics of re 4 and 5
i wait that happend some say..

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
marcel_resident;88135 said:
i miss those days of the old resident evil killing zombies , go in a infested city , but the point is i like more resident evil 1,2,3 than
4 and 5 and my brother think the same we talk about that and they wait
a old resident but with the camaras and grafics of re 4 and 5
i wait that happend some say..

After that first line I kind of lost what you are trying to say...

T-Vaccinated Kid

Spike991;88113 said:
The action is a little heavier, while the survival horror still has a role in RE4, not a supporting role, but a role just as big, if not bigger than the action, RE5 of course really did cross certain lines. That is why I don't like RE4 being placed in a box along with RE5, as RE4 is not the perpetrator.

I gotta disagree again. All other gameplay elements take a backseat to the action in RE4 and RE5. Its not as difficult to survive in RE4 and RE5. Not only do you get a lot of checkpoints, but you can buy first aid sprays. If anything survival is more emphasized in RE5 because of the partner system, not that I like how that worked.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
T-Vaccinated Kid;88463 said:
I gotta disagree again. All other gameplay elements take a backseat to the action in RE4 and RE5. Its not as difficult to survive in RE4 and RE5. Not only do you get a lot of checkpoints, but you can buy first aid sprays. If anything survival is more emphasized in RE5 because of the partner system, not that I like how that worked.

"I gotta disagree again", well nothing personal, but I'd work on your catchphrase a little bit more.

In RE5, maybe, but in RE4, hell no.

RE5 has tons of checkpoints, in fact, they replace the typewriters. RE4 did have checkpoints, a few more than Code Veronica(which also had checkpoints), but it wasn't anywhere close to RE5.

You could buy First Aid Sprays, so what. You take a lot of damage, and it isn't like you could buy a hundred at a time, in fact, most times I think you could only get one, if not, then most of the time you could only afford a single one.

T-Vaccinated Kid

Spike991;89846 said:
"I gotta disagree again", well nothing personal, but I'd work on your catchphrase a little bit more.

In RE5, maybe, but in RE4, hell no.

RE5 has tons of checkpoints, in fact, they replace the typewriters. RE4 did have checkpoints, a few more than Code Veronica(which also had checkpoints), but it wasn't anywhere close to RE5.

You could buy First Aid Sprays, so what. You take a lot of damage, and it isn't like you could buy a hundred at a time, in fact, most times I think you could only get one, if not, then most of the time you could only afford a single one.

Its not really a catchphrase. Its just that I disagree with a lot of what your saying about RE4. Its not that I don't like the game or think that it doesn't fit well with the other games in the series, but it doesn't have the same sort of gameplay that the previous games had.

Your right, RECV did have a lot of checkpoints, which I wasn't expecting. The first time I died in that game was during the Tyrant fight on the plane, and I was surprised when I didn't have to start the whole timed sequence over again. I was a little more grateful for this checkpoint system when I got to the part where I had to play as Claire for the second time. I actually think its pretty stupid that you need to have healing items just to get past the part with the mutated Steve.

But still, Code Veronica is a really challenging game. RE4 is not. At least not on normal. The chapter system makes it more accessable to the average gamer. That is it allows them to jump in and out of the game while still making progress. In earlier games your progress was determined by your understanding of the situation you were in, what with the enemy placement, the ammo you were presented with, and your ability to find and use key items in the right way. These features were taken to the extreme in Code Veronica, which is why, I think, it is favored among fans and considered to be among the most challenging games in the series.

In RE4 and RE5, as long as you continue along the linear path, things become pretty obvious. All you have to do is clear out a few enemies that are blocking your way and the path becomes clear. To be fair RE4 and RE5 are much bigger games than RE1-RECV were, but if the maps in RE4 and RE5 were connected and 'intertraverseable' than there could be more thoughtful gameplay possibilities. You can argue that you could go back through a few areas in RE4, but its unnecessary. If you get through an area you won't need to go back. Not that backtracking was a very strong concept in classic RE games but the thought process required to find and use key items is something I missed in RE4 and RE5.

adam9275

I've never played RE4 or 5, but did they ever consider, game location wise, the Umbrella HQ in Europe? That would be fun to explore.

If they went back to limited locations like the early games, I've always thought an enormous Hospital would have been pretty amazing. Many possibilities, rooms, levels, morgue, cafeteria, operating rooms, lab, incinerator etc..

zombinater007

Of course! the original re games had something about them that was just wonderful. the setting, the music, the puzzles. I would love to see something like it again, i just worry if the experience could really be reproduced properly. nostalgia definitely plays a big part for me too though...

As the game progressed, they focused more on action and less on the creepiness. What they should do is like what they did with early versions of RE4, same angle type but when you aim, it goes behind the shoulder

Dede

my only problem with the new RE is they changed the camera angle and action > horror
as for the zombies I don't mind they change as long as there's enemy for me to kill

Albert_Wesker;87645 said:
I think RE4 and RE5 are very entertaining games. And in RE4 the horror element is still there, if not a little overshadowed by the action element.
I agree
RE4 and 5 are not all the bad at least sometimes I'm too lazy to think the way out by repeating the rooms and solving the puzzles 4 and 5 is a good choice

zombinater007;94615 said:
like what they did with early versions of RE4, same angle type but when you aim, it goes behind the shoulder

good idea!

MeinHerzBrennt

Zombie Butt Kicker
Personally, I love RE4. I wish it was a little scarier but other than that its great. I have played the older ones but I just didn't connect with them. I found it hard for me to get into the game with how the controls where. It took me a while to figure out how to use them. I am so used to the controls for the games of today that it is hard to convert.

domino29

PftU Spokesperson
I like the old system, but it was getting old. I mean, 5 games with the same style. Im glad that RE4 and RE5 went into a new direction. :D

AsterikeSage

LORD OF THE MANOR XD
There's something so special about the old games. RE1, RE2, RE3 even heck, code veronica. It creeps you out in a way that you can't see everything til you move to the next screen, especially if you can hear the enemies in the same room lol. I don't know, but they're classic. RE4, RE5, they're great fun but I feel they're now more action based then survival horror. I swear the only thing that scared me in the newer series was the regenerator in RE4 lol.

Top Bottom