• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) Does anyone else miss the old fashioned ways of re?

T-Virus Injected

Silent Hill was more like RE meets choose your own adventure with the amount of endings you could of had. Made the replay value high. I still think the 1st and second were the best and really gave RE a run for it's money. I don't think SIlent Hill Changed more just evolved.

Marksman

I thought silent hill ****tered memories was meant to be completely different to the rest of the series? (I haven't played them though i'm getting ****tered memories for PSP)
I haven't played the old RE yet but they look good. Can't wait to play them lol. Can you get them for PC?

Jordan15

Marksman;72220 said:
I thought silent hill ****tered memories was meant to be completely different to the rest of the series? (I haven't played them though i'm getting ****tered memories for PSP)
I haven't played the old RE yet but they look good. Can't wait to play them lol. Can you get them for PC?

As a huge Silent Hill fan, it has also been getting progressively worse.

-2 was a masterpiece, personally one of the best games I've ever played

-1 was good

-3 was ok, but was getting a bit shallower on the story. It was still good though.

-4 felt quite a bit different. Alot of people hated the game, but personally I really liked it. The room element was really neat to me.

-5....well I bought a 360 for this, and let's just say I traded my 360 for a wii. It's like an action game that is trying to copy old elements from the old game.
Not to mention the art style is more akin to the MOVIE (Pyramid Head and Nurses are replicas from the movie) and not the general series.

-SH: SM Haven't got a chance to play it yet, but I hear it gets good reviews. From the looks of it, it won't be invoking any old nostalgia from SH1, but it still looks kind of neat. The gameplay is also the most different it's ever been, so it aint no survival horror we all know.

If you get an emulator you can play SH1
SH2 I believe had it's own PC format, but you can emulate it too I'm sure
3 and 4 were in PC format
5 is in PC format, but don't bother playing it, because it's unoptimized as hell and full of glitches.

SM is on PSP which I believe you said you have so you're good there.

AgentHUNK

Mr. Death
I too miss the old re games. I play them more than I doe RE4 and RE5.
Many complain about the controls, but I had no problems with them, and the change made in RE4 IMO takes away from the horror aspect of the games. The camera and control system helped to build a rising tension in the player as you hear audio cues of impending doom whilst not being able to see the harbringer of death until it was on top of you. Coupled with scarce ammo and healing items the games help build a player's flight or fight reflex in the game.
IMHO the campy dialogue added to my enjoyment of the games. Especially after hearing Resident Gigolo. I defie you not to laugh while listening to that little Resident Evil Gem.

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
PsychoJill;71635 said:
I really miss the old school RE feeling that apparently died after the RE remake. Zero was ok but it was just flat out boring, I never finished 4 because it didn't even resemble a RE game. RE5 was alright not very RE like but I wanted to end the main story so I played and finished it.

Hopefully with RE6 Capcom will finally go back to what made RE famous to begin with, Survival Horror not cheap action thrills.

I know why Capcom won't make a survival horror-game anymore. Because they need to keep up with time. They know that some people'll compare the games with other games then (like Resistance, Call of Duty etc.). And in the eyes of such people, RE will become boring. That's why I guess :I:ermm:

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
I actually don't understand this... I think the gamestyle at RE4 and RE5 is better. So is the gamestyle of the remakes. I prefer to be like in the skins of the characters, not like I'm watching a movie or such. Of course, the door/stairs scene was awesome, and it would you creep out if there would be something behind the door. But the gamestyle of RE4 and RE5 is more realistic, which makes it scarier. At the old games, you even couldn't aim straight at a body part (like if you want to give headshots or something). I don't miss them at all, the gamestyle of RE4 and RE5 is more like eh... creepier =)

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
Sorry for the double, double, double and again, double post, but there's one thing I also wanted to say.

Since RE5 has that gamestyle+better graphics (a lot better!), it made the game even scarier. My cousin plays it all the time. She said to my uncle: ''Damn, RE5 is really scary! The walls looks real, you never know what'll be out there and such!'', My uncle said: ''Yeah, even I get scared while playing it!''. My cousin is 17 now, and even she played the old RE games (when she was 6 or something). She played the old games like she did with Spyro, but she really creeped out while playing RE5. That's also why I think the new gamestyle is better =)

Hoady

Well i think Resident Evil 4 is the best Resident Evil.I only played 0 before it but i thought the change was way cooler and it still has proper scares as opposed to Resident Evil 5.If they were to do a camera angle game now it would be too slow pace for most peoples standards and things like shooting is moving backwards because its hard to shoot where you want.Most people besides hardcore fans wouldn't like it as its not very variable as opposed to games like call of duty or other fast paced shooters(Exactly as you said).

The graphics would be insane though,the gamecube environment backgrounds look like an Xbox 360/PS3 game.

T-Virus Injected

Hoady;74004 said:
Well i think Resident Evil 4 is the best Resident Evil.I only played 0 before it but i thought the change was way cooler and it still has proper scares as opposed to Resident Evil 5.If they were to do a camera angle game now it would be too slow pace for most peoples standards and things like shooting is moving backwards because its hard to shoot where you want.Most people besides hardcore fans wouldn't like it as its not very variable as opposed to games like call of duty or other fast paced shooters(Exactly as you said).

The graphics would be insane though,the gamecube environment backgrounds look like an Xbox 360/PS3 game.

you gotta compare RE4 to RE2 and the original and then you'll see that RE4 isn't the best. Still RE4 is a good game just not the best.

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
T-Virus Injected;74131 said:
you gotta compare RE4 to RE2 and the original and then you'll see that RE4 isn't the best. Still RE4 is a good game just not the best.

Everyone has still their own opinions :I For my opinion, the gamestyle from RE4 and RE5 is the best, but the storyline from RE2 is even better. The remake is even better thought, but still I prefer the gamestyle from RE4 and RE5.

Hoady

T-Virus Injected;74131 said:

Well i played Resident Evil 2 about a year ago, it was good but too outdated for me.Resident Evil 0 on the other hand is pretty damn amazing(never completed it though) the graphics make the style way better.I just don't think i enjoy playing Resident Evil with old graphics, maybe because i got into the newer ones first.

I wanna get remake though it looks hell good but i don't have a Gamecube or Wii lol.

Mr Sunshine

wolfgirl;74204 said:
IMO they should remake RE2/3 with the RE4/5 style gameplay.

Actually, I think there's a problem with such an attempt, the zombies. They are so slow that you can easily shoot them on the head and kill them instantly. This will make this kind of remakes very easy taking in consideration that most of the enemies are zombies.

One good way to prevent this is to put a one hit KO headshot rate depending on the weapon just like in RE 5. Besides the first time that I heard the "shoot them on the head" slogan was in the movies not in the games. I mean in old school games there were occassions where their head would explode but noone guaranted to me that this happens whenever you hit them on the head. ;)

AgentHUNK

Mr. Death
Fallen91: Well if they were to increase the number of Zombies on the screen at once, and make the ammo more scarce, it might be possible. That or they could put a lot more Crimson Heads in the game. Alas, my dreams of a Resident Evil game with Dead Rising-like zombie hordes are still dreams. Personally, I would love to see a REmake of 0/1/2/3 that uses the classic camera system while implementing the new control system. Much like the Easter Egg in Lost in Nightmares. This would ensure that the player could still aim at any part of an enemy's body they wanted, while adding a challenge to head shots. Although, the EE in LIN is a lost opportunity as there are no true zombies for us to test it on.

tequila

Bottle Lover
I haven't played Silent Hill... unfortunately.

I do miss the original quality of RE. I miss playing the games itself! It's been over 6 months since I've played any RE games, RE5 being the latest. I haven't played RE, RE Remake, RE2, RE3, and RE CV/CVX in a few years. So definately I'm going be playing these during the midhours of those summer nights when I can before college. :D

I like RE4. Even though it's not the same, but it's one of my favorites.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
I think the problem is the chasm between the people who like the movies and RE 4 and 5 and the classic veterans who "only" like the first 3 and hate the movies. Alot of it has to do with generation. I grew up in the original resident evil era, therefore i'm prone to like the early series and pre-rendered 2d backgrounds and atrocious acting

The new generation basically backed into the series by probably playing 4 or 5 first then watching the movies, or vice versa. Creating mainstream success among the new revenue. Meanwhile all the vets are TO'd at the lack of respect and total disregard of the original concept: Survival Horror.

Basically the majority is the new generation atleast thats how i see it, and majority rules...unless we can get enough hardcore fans to overrun hollywood :)

Btw this only a generalization and in no way intentionally attacking anyone.

Top Bottom