• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Going Bankrupt

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
NO DmC is not true to DMC, watch that damn video again.
RE6 is the worst thing to happen to RE since RE5, you actually think Simmons killing millions of people out of jealousy is a better story, Revelations has managed to pump some hope into the franchise.

...Dude...I've just realized...I have more important things to do than get into a ****ing war about whether or not you approve of my choice in video games. I mean has my approval of games you hate gotten under your skin so much? What good did that little outburst do? It added nothing even remotely debatable to this conversation. You need to take some lessons from Turo about how to debate...And Turo, if you're reading this I thank you, for being a good sport, and not childish about every little opinion we may disagree on when it comes to Capcom.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
...Dude...I've just realized...I have more important things to do than get into a ****ing war about whether or not you approve of my choice in video games. I mean has my approval of games you hate gotten under your skin so much? What good did that little outburst do? It added nothing even remotely debatable to this conversation. You need to take some lessons from Turo about how to debate...And Turo, if you're reading this I thank you, for being a good sport, and not childish about every little opinion we may disagree on when it comes to Capcom.
I apologize if it seemed like I bursted out in anger which I didn't.

I'm getting tired of this too, if you like DmC and RE6, fine, but it doesn't change the fact that they and other games have hurt Capcom and have put them in danger.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Well...Whinny may not have been the best word...While Dante is calm and Cocky, Nero is impulsive and loud...That's a better way to put it...And I'm not really talking about the survival horror aspect of the roots...I'm talking about the roots of the story...The story...Which what has kept gamers coming back to RE for roughly 17 years...I'm not sure how sales were hindered, considering it was one of the best selling games of all time. And just like companies often do with popular games...It was ported over...

The story of Resident Evil is hardly why anyone would ever go back into the series. It's why I go back, but many people never really seem to. I hear so many complaints about different games and whatnot, and I'm surprised how easy it is for one to turn their back on a series they used to treasure, and not even consider the story as a reason to return. Especially when the story is crucial to the series. It has to do more with the gameplay, which is why many people complain about what Resident Evil has become. They want survival horror back. RE4 might have done well for the Gamecube, but it was the Playstation 2 port that skyrocketed the sales.

NO

DmC is not true to DMC, watch that damn video again.
RE6 is the worst thing to happen to RE since RE5, you actually think Simmons killing millions of people out of jealousy is a better story, Revelations has managed to pump some hope into the franchise.

Since when was Resident Evil known for its astounding stories? Sure, they're entertaining, but nothing great. I wasn't too thrilled about RE6 story either, but come on, this is Resident Evil we're talking about.

No problem man. And thank you, this is actually the most activity I've seen on this forum, so thanks. I actually enjoy debating, it's a great learning experience for me.

xMobilemux

Since when was Resident Evil known for its astounding stories? Sure, they're entertaining, but nothing great. I wasn't too thrilled about RE6 story either, but come on, this is Resident Evil we're talking about.

Resident Evil wasn't known for it's story back in the past, it was known for it's horror, today it's known for it's action and disappointment. Yeah the Resident Evil stories aren't amazing, but the story isn't supposed to be the big thing about RE, it's supposed to the horror, which is gone now and why RE is suffering an identity crisis.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The story of Resident Evil is hardly why anyone would ever go back into the series. It's why I go back, but many people never really seem to. I hear so many complaints about different games and whatnot, and I'm surprised how easy it is for one to turn their back on a series they used to treasure, and not even consider the story as a reason to return. Especially when the story is crucial to the series. It has to do more with the gameplay, which is why many people complain about what Resident Evil has become. They want survival horror back. RE4 might have done well for the Gamecube, but it was the Playstation 2 port that skyrocketed the sales.

No problem man. And thank you, this is actually the most activity I've seen on this forum, so thanks. I actually enjoy debating, it's a great learning experience for me.

I love the debating as well...So it's nice to have someone here to do it respectfully!

You don't think RE has good story? I mean...I've NEVER found a game with a better story. And if people turn their back on games they used to treasure, then they're not real fans to begin with. Not if they're playing for the story. How is it that people play video games for gameplay? That concept doesn't make sense to me. What enjoyment is that? It's fun for five minutes, but without a story to keep you going, what's the point?

xMobilemux

How is it that people play video games for gameplay? That concept doesn't make sense to me. What enjoyment is that? It's fun for five minutes, but without a story to keep you going, what's the point?
Take a game like Gran Turismo, people don't play it for the story, they play it to race cars. Other games apply to that as well, people play Just Cause 2 because the gameplay is SO great, the story of that game is crap, but no one cares because the gameplay is so entertaining.

Having a good story is good, but having great gameplay is better.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Racing games are kind of an exception to the rule...Racing games, and sports games in general are an exception to the rule...And seeing as I DID used to street race cars, racing games just AREN'T appealing. Well...The realistic ones aren't.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I love the debating as well...So it's nice to have someone here to do it respectfully!

You don't think RE has good story? I mean...I've NEVER found a game with a better story. And if people turn their back on games they used to treasure, then they're not real fans to begin with. Not if they're playing for the story. How is it that people play video games for gameplay? That concept doesn't make sense to me. What enjoyment is that? It's fun for five minutes, but without a story to keep you going, what's the point?

I enjoy the stories of Resident Evil, I just don't see them as anything special. They're just entertaining. The stories that I would honor in video games would come from something like Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption. I know! Take Halo for example. I can't believe the amount of people that were actually complaining that they were making Halo 4 because "Master Chief died at the end of Halo 3..." What kind of fan are you if you didn't even know about the Legendary ending that clearly left the series open for another game? I guess some people just aren't as committed to video games as others are. Well, the first thing I look for in a game is its gameplay. It has to be fun in order for me to even want to play through its story. Just look at Mario games. Those games are based purely on their gameplay, and it's why I love them so much. They're just so fun.

Racing games are kind of an exception to the rule...Racing games, and sports games in general are an exception to the rule...And seeing as I DID used to street race cars, racing games just AREN'T appealing. Well...The realistic ones aren't.

LOL! That's awesome.

xMobilemux

A good thing to note about Story Driven games that don't care about their gameplay much is replay value.

Take The Last of Us, a story driven game with a great story and nothing special about gameplay, once you've played through it completely, you have already experienced the big part of the game, the story, you're not gonna get the same experience again, you can play it again, but you already know whats coming so the story will never have the same impact ever again, so what else is there to make the game worth keeping? Not much, the gameplay is nothing special and multiplayer isn't for everyone. So once you've complete the main game, you don't have much to go back to.

A game like Just Cause 2, not so great story, but the gameplay is so awesome that millions of people are still playing it to this day, I still play it and I haven't even got past the 3rd mission because I'm having too much fun going nuts in game where you can do crazy stuff like this:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I enjoy the stories of Resident Evil, I just don't see them as anything special. They're just entertaining. The stories that I would honor in video games would come from something like Alan Wake or Red Dead Redemption. I know! Take Halo for example. I can't believe the amount of people that were actually complaining that they were making Halo 4 because "Master Chief died at the end of Halo 3..." What kind of fan are you if you didn't even know about the Legendary ending that clearly left the series open for another game? I guess some people just aren't as committed to video games as others are. Well, the first thing I look for in a game is its gameplay. It has to be fun in order for me to even want to play through its story. Just look at Mario games. Those games are based purely on their gameplay, and it's why I love them so much. They're just so fun.

LOL! That's awesome.

Ya...Was really awesome...Till I raked in over $400 dollars worth of traffic tickets in two weeks lol. Still do it now and again, but not NEAR as often. See, I look for the fun too, but the fun for me is the "What is going to happen next in the story!?" And gameplay can be complete and utter sh*t...I mean, I'll be honest...We all LOVE the original RE games DUE to their awful gameplay.

A good thing to note about Story Driven games that don't care about their gameplay much is replay value.

Take The Last of Us, a story driven game with a great story and nothing special about gameplay, once you've played through it completely, you have already experienced the big part of the game, the story, you're not gonna get the same experience again, you can play it again, but you already know whats coming so the story will never have the same impact ever again, so what else is there to make the game worth keeping? Not much, the gameplay is nothing special and multiplayer isn't for everyone. So once you've complete the main game, you don't have much to go back to.

A game like Just Cause 2, not so great story, but the gameplay is so awesome that millions of people are still playing it to this day, I still play it and I haven't even got past the 3rd mission because I'm having too much fun going nuts in game where you can do crazy stuff like this:

I'll play the same game over and over again...I'll also read the same book over and over agian if it's my favorite book...Because it really touches me, and has an impact on my soul...My heart...My feelings. because it MEANS something to me...

Mod edit: Double post merged. Deletion considered.

xMobilemux

I'll play the same game over and over again...I'll also read the same book over and over agian if it's my favorite book...Because it really touches me, and has an impact on my soul...My heart...My feelings. because it MEANS something to me...

That's fine, but it's not what everyone thinks.
In an interview one of the Just Cause 2 developers stated that he walked into a Gamestop store and he saw countless copies of story focused games(don't think he said the names) and such in the bargain bin while he could barely find any copies of Just Cause or Just Cause 2 because no one was trading it in, they love playing the game so much they're keeping it.

Now say if Just Cause 2 had the same gameplay it has, plus an amazing story, that would be a perfect game.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Ya...Was really awesome...Till I raked in over $400 dollars worth of traffic tickets in two weeks lol. Still do it now and again, but not NEAR as often. See, I look for the fun too, but the fun for me is the "What is going to happen next in the story!?" And gameplay can be complete and utter sh*t...I mean, I'll be honest...We all LOVE the original RE games DUE to their awful gameplay.

I don't know. I've always despised those who trashed Resident Evil's gameplay. I found it really enjoyable. Still do, the only thing that has really changed is the camera angle and a couple of things here and there. Although RE6 really changed things quite a lot. I do value story as well, but it's not the first thing I look for in a game. Just look at Heavy Rain... that game looks so boring. If a game can offer me great or okay gameplay with a fantastic story, then sure, I'm in.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
That's fine, but it's not what everyone thinks.
In an interview one of the Just Cause 2 developers stated that he walked into a Gamestop store and he saw countless copies of story focused games(don't think he said the names) and such in the bargain bin while he could barely find any copies of Just Cause or Just Cause 2 because no one was trading it in, they love playing the game so much they're keeping it.

Now say if Just Cause 2 had the same gameplay it has, plus an amazing story, that would be a perfect game.

...Really...Cause I've never even heard of just cause...And the games that are in the Bargin Bin are like "Guitar Hero" and "Haze." Games that sucked, or everybody played just cause it was popular, then the fad faded. Just like the fad of online multiplayer will fade...

I don't know. I've always despised those who trashed Resident Evil's gameplay. I found it really enjoyable. Still do, the only thing that has really changed is the camera angle and a couple of things here and there. Although RE6 really changed things quite a lot. I do value story as well, but it's not the first thing I look for in a game. Just look at Heavy Rain... that game looks so boring. If a game can offer me great or okay gameplay with a fantastic story, then sure, I'm in.

Oh I absolutely love the gameplay, but It was bad until you got used to it. And things were changed a lot...But in my opinion each game has to be realistic with the time period and environment it's set in...When you look at it that way the gameplay for RE1 is PERFECT, but the gameplay fore RE6 given the environment, time period, and situation, works really well...You have to just think a little more, despite people thinking it's a game that utilizes no real brain power...

Mod edit: Double post merged. Deletion considered.

xMobilemux

...Really...Cause I've never even heard of just cause...And the games that are in the Bargin Bin are like "Guitar Hero" and "Haze." Games that sucked, or everybody played just cause it was popular, then the fad faded. Just like the fad of online multiplayer will fade...

Found the interview: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-18-avalanche-studios-traded-games-are-too-short

Games that offer little replayablity are often traded in, most story driven games are like that. If developers tried adding more reasons to play through a game then people would be willing to keep them longer.

Turo602

The King of Kings

Woah, I don't think online multiplayer is a fad. It's one of the biggest things that happened to gaming. I'm not big on multiplayer myself, but I do understand the appeal and its importance. I'm more for online co-op, since I enjoy having a screen to myself, but multiplayer modes can be quite fun for a while. What I don't understand is how someone could play multiplayer all day every day though... that's got to be really boring.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Found the interview: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-18-avalanche-studios-traded-games-are-too-short

Games that offer little replayablity are often traded in, most story driven games are like that. If developers tried adding more reasons to play through a game then people would be willing to keep them longer.

Ok...Reasons to play through a game..>How about unlockable ****, rather then relying on DLC to add to a game. If you had to replay it multiple times, like you did RE2 or RE4, then the replayability would go way up. But no. Every company out there is relying on downloadable content to add to the game...That KILLS replayability.

Reactions: Jen

xMobilemux

Ok...Reasons to play through a game..>How about unlockable ****, rather then relying on DLC to add to a game. If you had to replay it multiple times, like you did RE2 or RE4, then the replayability would go way up. But no. Every company out there is relying on downloadable content to add to the game...That KILLS replayability.

Unlockable stuff would only be a temporary solution for a story focused game but would still be good.
DLC is more profitable for companies than unlockables which is why they are doing it, Capcom are the worst offenders with DLC.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Unlockable stuff would only be a temporary solution for a story focused game but would still be good.
DLC is more profitable for companies than unlockables which is why they are doing it, Capcom are the worst offenders with DLC.

DLC is fine and dandy...You can have new maps as DLC while having new characters to unlock for example. A fair balance of both.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Oh I absolutely love the gameplay, but It was bad until you got used to it. And things were changed a lot...But in my opinion each game has to be realistic with the time period and environment it's set in...When you look at it that way the gameplay for RE1 is PERFECT, but the gameplay fore RE6 given the environment, time period, and situation, works really well...You have to just think a little more, despite people thinking it's a game that utilizes no real brain power...

Well, the gameplay is only as fun as the game allows it to be. Resident Evil 6 doesn't have gameplay fit for survival horror, but for an action game. I do enjoy some of the game's features, and there are some things that could work in a survival horror setting, but the overall gameplay is just too over the top compared to what the series used to be. Reason being, the shift in genre. So yeah, the gameplay does work in its respective game, but that's problem most people have. It's not supposed to be an action game.

xMobilemux

DLC is fine and dandy...You can have new maps as DLC while having new characters to unlock for example. A fair balance of both.

Yes DLC is a good thing, the DLC for Borderlands 2 is heavenly, sadly with most single player story games, unlockables are rare and the DLC is bad & greedy.

The best thing for single player games to do is stop worrying so much about the story and try to make awesome gameplay, then the games will last, games like Bayonetta and such do that great, I made the stupid mistake of trading in my Bayonetta game once and when I went to buy another copy, I couldn't find it anywhere, no one else was trading it in because the game is so much fun.

Top Bottom