• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Going Bankrupt

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Can't really understand how the best Resident Evil ever made(REmake) was a commercial failure(not saying it didn't happen, just wanna now how it's possible).

Well...My favorite two games are REmake and RE4...unfortunately, the times had just changed too much...That kind of game made people think just a little TOO much.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Resident Evil 4 saved the franchise... You can't possibly say otherwise. Just yesterday, it was said that the commercial failure of REmake, is why Resident Evil 4 was more action oriented. Your feelings aren't going to change that.
Resident Evil 4 DID save the franchise, it gave the series something new, while retaining the Resident Evil atmosphere, RE5 is where the series screwed up and has been going downhill ever since.
*Sigh* do you people realize that RE4 is NOT A SURVIVAL HORROR GAME ? and Remake was a gamecube exclusive which was piece of crap system that one owned.

I just hate it when people scapegoat RE5/6 when Re4 is the righteous culprit for making the game series an action shooter.

This video is the one you need to watch >
whatever anyone says the matter of the fact is that RE4 changed the series from survival horror to action shooter essentially dooming the franchise.
DmC is not in anyway faithful to Devil May Cry
Bullsh!t ! not true at all it is a DMC game with much better story and platforming and its a REBOOT so it has nothing to do with older DMC storyline,characters and themes.
And it IS dumbed down, it's easy, awfully written, just flat out horrible and should not have anything to do with the Devil May Cry
Your opinion bro.. your opinion ! and a highly subjective one at that i won't go deep into this.

Its just your opinion DmC is a great game no matter what you say and it is challenging in higher difficulties and i have played it whatever you're saying is coming off as plain hate.

And its kinda ironic how you're defending RE4 but simultaneously trashing DmC whereas DmC actually was more loyal than RE4 ever was to its predecessors.
Still Revelations is the game RE4 should have been.
exactly revelations is too little and too late RE 3.5 should have been the final version with more focus on puzzle solving and creating claustrophobic atmosphere.

Turo602

The King of Kings
*Sigh* do you people realize that RE4 is NOT A SURVIVAL HORROR GAME ? and Remake was a gamecube exclusive which was piece of crap system that one owned.

I just hate it when people scapegoat RE5/6 when Re4 is the righteous culprit for making the game series an action shooter.

whatever anyone says the matter of the fact is that RE4 changed the series from survival horror to action shooter essentially dooming the franchise.

You are a damn fool... Not being survival horror doesn't take away from the fact that this game saved a series that was dying... I also like how you post an old video that has nothing to do with your argument. Unless you're saying, Resident Evil 4 was a great game that revolutionized gaming but ultimately ruined a genre while saving its own franchise? Because that's exactly what that video is saying. How do you function in society?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!

Turo602 is right, RE4 not being a survival horror doesn't take away the fact that it saved the franchise, it did save the franchise while keeping the atmosphere, Revelations is not a survival horror game either, however it took the things RE4 did right and did them right even more.
Bullsh!t ! not true at all it is a DMC game with much better story and platforming and its a REBOOT so it has nothing to do with older DMC storyline,characters and themes.Your opinion bro.. your opinion ! and a highly subjective one at that i won't go deep into this.

Its just your opinion DmC is a great game no matter what you say and it is challenging in higher difficulties and i have played it whatever you're saying is coming off as plain hate.

And its kinda ironic how you're defending RE4 but simultaneously trashing DmC whereas DmC actually was more loyal than RE4 ever was to its predecessors

DmC being a good game is nothing more than your opinion, DmC is a s**t Devil May Cry game, no matter what way you put it, the Devil May Cry franchise is fact, NOT about story telling and platforming, it's about fast paced, intense, stylish and challenging gameplay with a cool protagonist. DmC dumbs everything down in almost every aspect, since you likely did not watch that video I posted, I'll explain it for you.

The gameplay in the previous Devil May Cry(except DMC2) games was challenging, intense, fast and required skill to master, like when you mastered getting a SSS rank or staying in the air it was a fun and rewarding challenge and it sure was satisfying, also the moves in DMC1, 3 & 4 were reserved for players who took the time to learn them and get good with them for an even better experience, the gameplay in DmC is so dumbed down that the learning curve is gone, the moves are handed to you all the time, getting a SSS rank is so easy that it's not even worth noting and staying in the air is even more easy that the game seems broken half the time. Also DmC limits your gameplay options with those god awful color coded enemies which are enemies that can only be attacked with certain weapons, they are also so easy that beating them just takes the patience to drain their health bars, seriously I beat those color coded enemies on the hardest default difficulty mode with this simple pattern: "Standard attacks with Demon/Angel weapons, the dodge button, REPEAT" I didn't have to get skillful because DmC requires no skill.

And oh my god the awful boss battles, in DMC1, 3 & 4 the boss battles were entertaining and challenging experiences because they behaved like normal enemies, but with a s**tload more moves and bigger health bars forcing you to use the skills you learned the best you can, in DmC they are dumbed down to such a degree that only a certain criteria needs to be meet so you can hack off at them again with no skill required, not to mention all the cutscenes that break the flow of the boss battles.

The only things that are "good" about DmC is the story, graphics and the platforming, 3 things that are secondary in the Devil May Cry franchise, not the main focus.

No DmC is a horses**t Devil May Cry game and a mediocre action game.
Resident Evil 4 did save Resident Evil, Resident Evil 5 and 6 are the real f**k ups of the franchise, RE4 kept the atmosphere to call it a Resident Evil game and I'd be willing to be that if Shinji Mikami was still on board he would have made RE5 more like Revelations and Resident Evil would be in a good place.

xMobilemux

EDIT:

Get these damn servers fixed moderators! It's annoying as hell when they fail after typing a long post.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
The excuse "its not survival horror anymore" isn't valid. Who wants to see the same type of game, with the same type of gameplay, doing the same things over and over? Then fans will complain its getting repetitive. There's nothing wrong with trying new steps long as its good.

Turo602

The King of Kings
The excuse "its not survival horror anymore" isn't valid. Who wants to see the same type of game, with the same type of gameplay, doing the same things over and over? Then fans will complain its getting repetitive. There's nothing wrong with trying new steps long as its good.

That doesn't really apply to Resident Evil 4. They could have still been faithful to the series. Trying new things is great and all, as long as it's within the realm of survival horror. Resident Evil 4 could have been forgiven if RE5 would have properly evolved the series, which it didn't. Sticking with a genre doesn't mean that it has to be the same thing game after game.

Popo

Because it was released for a commercially failing console. looool

that did cross my mind lol

and btw gameplay and story are what makes games what they are, should improve gameplay with every game of course, but not changing it completely making it a completely different game.(this has nothing to do with your post mr sunshine lol)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Ironically, the Gamecube is one of the greatest consoles.

Yup...Up there with the Dreamcast and the PSone...Those are probably the tree greatest consoles...

Oh, and RockmanX, it's looking here like most of us love RE4...And we're not going to change our opinions just because you're throwing a fit like a child about them. RE4 was a commercial success, game of the year, number 21 on G4's "Top 100 Games of All Time" list, and WAS survival horror. Wanna know how it's survival horror, because you're trying NOT to die (That's the survival part, in case you don't know what survival is.) and you're trying to stay alive due to the MONSTERS chasing you. (The monsters are what make it horror by the way). Just because it's not scary doesn't mean it's not a horror movie. You know, I don't find the Child's Play movies scary at all, yet they are still horror.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Oh, and RockmanX, it's looking here like most of us love RE4...And we're not going to change our opinions just because you're throwing a fit like a child about them. RE4 was a commercial success, game of the year, number 21 on G4's "Top 100 Games of All Time" list, and WAS survival horror. Wanna know how it's survival horror, because you're trying NOT to die (That's the survival part, in case you don't know what survival is.) and you're trying to stay alive due to the MONSTERS chasing you. (The monsters are what make it horror by the way). Just because it's not scary doesn't mean it's not a horror movie. You know, I don't find the Child's Play movies scary at all, yet they are still horror.

It's not about liking RE4. Not being survival horror is not a logical argument against whether or not it saved the Resident Evil franchise. If Resident Evil 4 was survival horror, it was a poor excuse of one. Survival horror isn't defined by two words. There are certain tropes to follow, tropes the original Resident Evil games had. Although Resident Evil 4 incorporated these tropes, they were extremely dumbed down for the average player, which is exactly how RE4 saved the series.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
It's not about liking RE4. Not being survival horror is not a logical argument against whether or not it saved the Resident Evil franchise. If Resident Evil 4 was survival horror, it was a poor excuse of one. Survival horror isn't defined by two words. There are certain tropes to follow, tropes the original Resident Evil games had. Although Resident Evil 4 incorporated these tropes, they were extremely dumbed down for the average player, which is exactly how RE4 saved the series.

I think it's a little narrow minded to think that there are only a select few tropes to follow. Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling you narrow minded in any way. I'm just saying that, look at movies. There are horror movies. But from there, there are SEVERAL different Sub-Genre's of horror...Same goes for video games...I mean, look at Silent Hill...Downpour and Homecoming were GREAT games, but VERY different than the typical SH game. In fact, after SHII, SH: Homecoming is my favorite. So while RE4 wasn't the SAME kind of Survival Horror, it still WAS survival horror, and you're right, it was dumbed down...But that seems to be the only way to Talk to Rockman, seeing as if it's not his way it's the highway. That just doesn't fly with me. Used to this was a place where we could have our own opinions, and we all respected that. So I put it in the simplest terms I could so that it was understood.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Warning for inappropriate behavior. Insults are not tolerated. -Romero
I think it's a little narrow minded to think that there are only a select few tropes to follow. Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling you narrow minded in any way. I'm just saying that, look at movies. There are horror movies. But from there, there are SEVERAL different Sub-Genre's of horror...Same goes for video games...I mean, look at Silent Hill...Downpour and Homecoming were GREAT games, but VERY different than the typical SH game. In fact, after SHII, SH: Homecoming is my favorite. So while RE4 wasn't the SAME kind of Survival Horror, it still WAS survival horror, and you're right, it was dumbed down...But that seems to be the only way to Talk to Rockman, seeing as if it's not his way it's the highway. That just doesn't fly with me. Used to this was a place where we could have our own opinions, and we all respected that. So I put it in the simplest terms I could so that it was understood.

But... a select few is more than the two words that describe the genre. This feels reversed. Like I said, Resident Evil 4 was a survival horror game, since it did follow the tropes the series has followed, but it did a poor job of it since everything was simplified. I don't see how it's narrow minded when all genres have rules to follow. Otherwise there wouldn't be genres to categorize video games in. Following tropes doesn't limit anything, there could be many different elements in a video game, so long there is a main focus.

And I think we can all agree that Rockman is a delusional idiot.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
But... a select few is more than the two words that describe the genre. This feels reversed. Like I said, Resident Evil 4 was a survival horror game, since it did follow the tropes the series has followed, but it did a poor job of it since everything was simplified. I don't see how it's narrow minded when all genres have rules to follow. Otherwise there wouldn't be genres to categorize video games in. Following tropes doesn't limit anything, there could be many different elements in a video game, so long there is a main focus.

And I think we can all agree that Rockman is a delusional idiot.

Yeah...We can agree on that.

I'm not trying to argue or anything. I just think there are a LOT of tropes...Like...Here's an example. Say there are 67 tropes that make up a survival horror game. REmake used 35 of them...RE4 used 29 of them, some of the the same, but since there were a total of 67, they used ones that REmake didn't use as well...I know that those are all made up numbers, and not necessarily the most accurate way to put it, but it was the easiest way to describe my point that I could think of.

xMobilemux

Yup...Up there with the Dreamcast and the PSone...Those are probably the tree greatest consoles...

I disagree with your view on survival horror, Survival Horror as a genre is a genre where you have to really survive, not just by staying alive, but by using your head with your resources, RE1, 2,3, CVX and the REmake did all those right, with keeping your ammo in check, deciding on whether to run away from or fight an enemy head on with what resources you had, the horror part is you're in a scary isolated place and you don't know whats coming and because your resources are so limited, it makes it even more scary, but if your armed to the teeth like John f**king Matrix then surviving isn't what you need to do, it's what the monsters need to do and you sure as hell are not gonna be scared of some monsters in an isolated place when you have the firepower to destroy the whole freaking area.
RE4 was more of a action horror, it kept the series a horror franchise, but added some action, while the horror in RE4 was good enough to call it a Resident Evil title, it still didn't get the job done, but Revelations while it is also an action horror, it takes all the horror things that RE4 did right and does more horror things right, so Revelations is also worthy of the Resident Evil title, RE5 and 6 are just dumb shooters that should not be called Resident Evil, but they were and have ruined the franchises reputation.

The way the franchise should have gone at the time is since RE4 had already happened, RE5 should have been Revelations, that way the action would have been there and the horror would have been there, that would have been the golden path for Resident Evil.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yeah...We can agree on that.

I'm not trying to argue or anything. I just think there are a LOT of tropes...Like...Here's an example. Say there are 67 tropes that make up a survival horror game. REmake used 35 of them...RE4 used 29 of them, some of the the same, but since there were a total of 67, they used ones that REmake didn't use as well...I know that those are all made up numbers, and not necessarily the most accurate way to put it, but it was the easiest way to describe my point that I could think of.

I get what you're saying, but in Resident Evil's case, it's not a matter of not using them all, just doing them poorly with action in every corner. Its focus is clearly action.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I get what you're saying, but in Resident Evil's case, it's not a matter of not using them all, just doing them poorly with action in every corner. Its focus is clearly action.

I think near the end, once you got to the island, is where RE4 really took an action turn. I won't lie. In the village when it's all storming. When Fighting El Giagante. Facing off against Del Lago. And pretty much the WHOLE castle, were all very survival horror...(The Del Lago thing may just be due to the fact that I'm afraid of water though lol.)

Turo602

The King of Kings
I think near the end, once you got to the island, is where RE4 really took an action turn. I won't lie. In the village when it's all storming. When Fighting El Giagante. Facing off against Del Lago. And pretty much the WHOLE castle, were all very survival horror...(The Del Lago thing may just be due to the fact that I'm afraid of water though lol.)

Well yeah, Resident Evil 4 had its moments, but most of the time, it just feels very straight forward. The fact that you can melee and exploit the knife just makes it that much easier to conserve ammo. They really got rid of the tension of the previous games, because death wasn't as big of a deal. Before, you had to worry about the last time you saved it, now, you can just start back up from a checkpoint. Resident Evil 4 was a good start to a new kind of survival horror, it just wasn't executed correctly, despite being a great game.

Top Bottom