• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Going Bankrupt

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well yeah, Resident Evil 4 had its moments, but most of the time, it just feels very straight forward. The fact that you can melee and exploit the knife just makes it that much easier to conserve ammo. They really got rid of the tension of the previous games, because death wasn't as big of a deal. Before, you had to worry about the last time you saved it, now, you can just start back up from a checkpoint. Resident Evil 4 was a good start to a new kind of survival horror, it just wasn't executed correctly, despite being a great game.

See, to me death was a big deal. But because the game impacted me so much. I was so afraid to die in the game. I didn't think "Oh well, I'll start at so and so point." When Leon died...I died a little inside. I mean, It's odd to say, but I guess due the the fact that RE4 had arguably the most death scenes, all so different, I was so scared to die, because in a sense it felt real. When the acid hit Leon's face, I jumped, and felt in pain. IDK how, but that game resonated with me in a way that no other RE game had. The other RE games made me afraid to move forward with the game at some points, but this game made me afraid of death itself...A much more powerful feeling...But that may have just been me, and others didn't get the same experience I did...Which would be why they don't view it as the Survival Horror masterpiece I do...

Turo602

The King of Kings
See, to me death was a big deal. But because the game impacted me so much. I was so afraid to die in the game. I didn't think "Oh well, I'll start at so and so point." When Leon died...I died a little inside. I mean, It's odd to say, but I guess due the the fact that RE4 had arguably the most death scenes, all so different, I was so scared to die, because in a sense it felt real. When the acid hit Leon's face, I jumped, and felt in pain. IDK how, but that game resonated with me in a way that no other RE game had. The other RE games made me afraid to move forward with the game at some points, but this game made me afraid of death itself...A much more powerful feeling...But that may have just been me, and others didn't get the same experience I did...Which would be why they don't view it as the Survival Horror masterpiece I do...

Well... that's strange... The deaths were really cool though. It made up for the fact that I died by showing me something cool. Resident Evil 4 will always be a masterpiece and a classic to me, but not because it was such an amazing survival horror experience. Just an amazing experience.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Turo602 is right, RE4 not being a survival horror doesn't take away the fact that it saved the franchise, it did save the franchise while keeping the atmosphere, Revelations is not a survival horror game either, however it took the things RE4 did right and did them right even more.
I disagree you can't be both.. you either go the survival horror way or the action focused way you can't find a middle way between you'd only end up making another RE4.

And seriously how did it exactly save the franchise ? i'm pretty damn sure that without Co-op RE 5 would have been an Epic failure and RE6... do i even need to say ??

If anything RE4 just set things in motion for the franchise's destruction Revelations is just capcom's last attempt at grasping straws its not gonna save anything now.
DmC being a good game is nothing more than your opinion
Oh really ? because you haven't provided anything statistical or factual... you've just provided contant bias and hate towards DmC on how it sucks.
NOT about story telling and platforming, it's about fast paced, intense, stylish and challenging gameplay with a cool protagonist
Its 2013 ! people expect more from games ! why not add more coherent story and more platforming ?? i can recall that DMC 1 had lots of platforming sections too.. DmC just brings that backs if anything i'd say its being faithful to DMC 1.
getting a SSS rank is so easy that it's not even worth noting and staying in the air is even more easy that the game seems broken half the time.
Have you tried playing DMD mode ?? HAVE YOU ? have you so easily gotten SSS rank on every DMD mission ?
And oh my god the awful boss battles
Yeah the boss battles are easy i agree but does that make the game so hate worthy ?? I don't think so...
Resident Evil 4 did save Resident Evil, Resident Evil 5 and 6 are the real f**k ups of the franchise
Again scapegoating RE5&6 REALLY ?? are you freaking kidding me ?? RE5&6 are just continuing RE4's action focused gameplay to the next level.

RE5&6 just had bad level designing that's all.. other than that they're just following RE4's blueprints.
RE4 kept the atmosphere to call it a Resident Evil game
Fun-Fact: Devil may cry 1 had the atmosphere of old RE games would you call it a Resident evil game ?
And I think we can all agree that Rockman is a delusional idiot.
Pity i was almost about to like your post then you made a personal insult.

Considering the fact that you've personally insulted me TWICE in this thread like a 10 yr old immature brat you deserve to be on my ignore list.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Pity i was almost about to like your post then you made a personal insult.

Considering the fact that you've personally insulted me TWICE in this thread like a 10 yr old immature brat you deserve to be on my ignore list.

Pfft... Am I supposed to be hurt that you didn't like my comment? No one here likes you. You try to act high and mighty and I don't get it, considering how poor your arguments are. You deserve the insults.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
Warning: Calling someone a moron is inappropriate behavior. -Romero
I disagree you can't be both.. you either go the survival horror way or the action focused way you can't find a middle way between you'd only end up making another RE4.

And seriously how did it exactly save the franchise ? i'm pretty damn sure that without Co-op RE 5 would have been an Epic failure and RE6... do i even need to say ??

If anything RE4 just set things in motion for the franchise's destruction Revelations is just capcom's last attempt at grasping straws its not gonna save anything now.

RE4 is not survival horror and it did save the franchise while keeping it's identity, Resident Evil is a horror franchise, it can be survival horror or action horror, but it can't be just action or survival.
RE4 saved the franchise by changing the genre from a survival horror into a action horror, it changed the genre into something new while keeping the identity, the horror, RE5 and 6 continued in that genre but lost the identity, they lost the horror, which is why RE is suffering an identity crisis right now. Look at Revelations, it has the same gameplay as RE4, but is considered a true modern Resident Evil, that's because it got back it's identity as a horror game in the action genre, it wasn't a generic shooter.
I'm sick of repeating myself to you, so suck it up and accept it or just leave.

Oh really ? because you haven't provided anything statistical or factual... you've just provided contant bias and hate towards DmC on how it sucks.
*sigh* For gods sake either watch the video or read my damn posts, seriously are you blind or just plain stupid? I'm just gonna keep telling you to take this in and deal with it because everything I said there is true about DmC.
↓↓↓
↓↓↓
The gameplay in the previous Devil May Cry(except DMC2) games was challenging, intense, fast and required skill to master, like when you mastered getting a SSS rank or staying in the air it was a fun and rewarding challenge and it sure was satisfying, also the moves in DMC1, 3 & 4 were reserved for players who took the time to learn them and get good with them for an even better experience, the gameplay in DmC is so dumbed down that the learning curve is gone, the moves are handed to you all the time, getting a SSS rank is so easy that it's not even worth noting and staying in the air is even more easy that the game seems broken half the time. Also DmC limits your gameplay options with those god awful color coded enemies which are enemies that can only be attacked with certain weapons, they are also so easy that beating them just takes the patience to drain their health bars, seriously I beat those color coded enemies on the hardest default difficulty mode with this simple pattern: "Standard attacks with Demon/Angel weapons, the dodge button, REPEAT" I didn't have to get skillful because DmC requires no skill.

Its 2013 ! people expect more from games ! why not add more coherent story and more platforming ?? i can recall that DMC 1 had lots of platforming sections too.. DmC just brings that backs if anything i'd say its being faithful to DMC 1.
You're absolutely right, people expect MORE from games, not less, dumbing down everything that made a franchise great for a story and some good graphics is NOT more.
People and Gamers expect more from all areas, graphics hounds and story hounds only want story and looks and claim it's innovation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Devil May Cry is NOT a story focused series, gameplay is primary in Devil May Cry, story, graphics, platforming and other cosmetic stuff is secondary.

Have you tried playing DMD mode ?? HAVE YOU ? have you so easily gotten SSS rank on every DMD mission ?
No and you know why? I'm not talking about those UNLOCKABLE modes, I'm talking about the actual challenge that DMC had from the get go, DMC players wanted the challenging experience from the start, not stroll through the whole game easy peasy lemon squeezy then go through the whole game they've already played again with a little less easy mode just so you could play a 3rd round on the challenge you wanted from the get go.
If those modes were available from the start, I would have nothing to say here, but they weren't, the only modes available were: Brainless Easy, Easy and Mostly Easy.

Yeah the boss battles are easy i agree but does that make the game so hate worthy ?? I don't think so...
Not on their own, but they aren't on their own, the whole game is hate worthy.

Again scapegoating RE5&6 REALLY ?? are you freaking kidding me ?? RE5&6 are just continuing RE4's action focused gameplay to the next level.
RE5&6 just had bad level designing that's all.. other than that they're just following RE4's blueprints.
See first quote.
Fun-Fact: Devil may cry 1 had the atmosphere of old RE games would you call it a Resident evil game ?
What the hell does that have to do with this argument?
This about RE4 saving the franchise and DmC being a s**t game, this isn't about Devil May Cry 1 being a RE game, for f**ks sake get your head on straight.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
*Sigh* Why do people care to argue about petty things? There will always be someone with the complete opposite point of view, who thinks different than you or just don't "get" what you are saying. Just accept it. Make you point and exchange opinions, but don't make an argument with name-calling. At the end of the day, what do you get in return for your effort? Think about that and you'll perhaps find that it's not worth it.

La Femme have already stepped in a couple of times and asked you people to stay on topic and keep it civil. So this time warnings are issued.

EDIT:

Get these damn servers fixed moderators! It's annoying as hell when they fail after typing a long post.
I'm sorry about that but we moderators can't help there. I've not had problems lately so I don't know what happened, but if it happens many times please start a topic and report the issue. It's a matter for Steve.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
*Sigh* Why do people care to argue about petty things? There will always be someone with the complete opposite point of view, who thinks different than you or just don't "get" what you are saying. Just accept it. Make you point and exchange opinions, but don't make an argument with name-calling. At the end of the day, what do you get in return for your effort? Think about that and you'll perhaps find that it's not worth it.

La Femme have already stepped in a couple of times and asked you people to stay on topic and keep it civil. So this time warnings are issued.

I'm sorry about that but we moderators can't help there. I've not had problems lately so I don't know what happened, but if it happens many times please start a topic and report the issue. It's a matter for Steve.

I want to start this off by saying, this isn't to argue with you, but to inform. You ask why we argue about such petty things, and it's really simple. For example. Take the debate (And yes, I mean the term debate) that Turo, Wesker, and myself were having. Turo and I were having a very civil debate. Wesker and I, well, it did get a little heated at times, but for the most part, though our opinions were, and ARE vastly different, we still debated for the MOST part, respectfully, and with lack of a condescending demeanor. So if you were to analyze the parts where it seems excessively petty and childish, you will notice it's mainly due to the childish arguments involving Rockman. This childish BS is the result of our constant annoyance at the lack of knowledge he has displayed, yet his persistence in trying to make all of us have the same view as him, and stating that his opinion is fact, and that we cannot have out own opinions, or we are wrong. Now, is it necessarily right for us to fall for this, respond to this, or even acknowledge it's existence? No. No it's not. But do we do it anyway? Yes, yes we do. We do it because RE means something to us emotionally. Wesker may HATE Capcom, and HATE the newer RE games, but he still loves the old school games. Turo and I each have our own opinions about RE as well. But that's what they are. Opinions. And we all understand that about one another (Turo, Wesker, and myself). It's a point others are failing to grasp, making us jump to defend our own opinions, and doing so in a manor that is just childish, seeing as being nice and polite hasn't worked, like everyone tried at the beginning. This used to be a place for us to put our opinions out there freely, and for the most part, it truly still is. I love it here, and wouldn't change a thing. But now and again, some small incidents occur that really hit close to home. Sure, Wesker may HATE the new DmC, and Rockman may like it. Hell, personally I like DmC as well, but as far as just stating points in a debate like format, and just stating his opinion, Wesker has done it with much more grace than Rockman. Now, there wasn't a lot of grace to begin with, but still, you get what I'm trying to say here. Essentially, opinions are great to have, but they're a privilege here, and when they start to hurt others, or when others are being called senseless names, or being ridiculed for their opinions. We have a problem. Again, this isn't an argument with what you said, but a sem-detailed analysis, and answer to your question.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm with KennedyKiller on this one. If mods are going to start showing some action now, then something needs to be done about Rockman. People here are getting sick of his pompous attitude, including me. I've seen his posts all over the forum and it's hard to blame anyone for reacting the way they do. I've kept it civil with other users because they have shown respect for others. Rockman just comes off as arrogant and disrespectful, and quite frankly, that's not gonna sit well with anyone, especially me.

Reactions: Hel

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
If you highlight your username at the top right-hand corner of the page, you'll see a drop-down menu and at the very bottom of this list there is a function that will allow you to ignore any user, save for the moderators and admins. I suggest that some of you begin to make use of it. Problem solved.

You're welcome.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
In a nutshell: When I put on my moderator hat I don't care who thinks what about any given subject, and I don't care who is right or wrong in an argument. It is irrelevant. What I care about is violations of the rules.

It is allowed to be passionate about the games. It is also allowed to be childish and ignorant and we don't demand members to pass any IQ tests. We just demand members to read, understand, and follow the rules. This thread is "tl;dr" to me and I don't follow it anymore, lack of action must not be mistaken for approval. I'm here just to deal with reported posts. And judged by the reported posts, it seems that Rockman is much better at following rules than some of you. Not one of his posts is reported so far.
If someone is annoying you too much, ignore them. If you think they are breaking the rules, ignore the post and report it.

I'm with KennedyKiller on this one. If mods are going to start showing some action now, then something needs to be done about Rockman.
We have not received any reports on Rockman, ever. If he broke the rules, report the post(s). You can not fix a problem by breaking the rules yourself, you just get yourself into trouble.

------------------------------------------
This topic has gone bust as a result of too much off-topic posts and it's closed as from now.

If anyone got more to say on topic please contact a member of the staff and request it opened.
With on topic I mean it should be at least reasonably related to Capcom's financial situation. General discussion about the directions of the game series can be continued in their respective forums, this thread is not the right place. And as for carrying on with personal attacks and insults, this is not even the right website.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Late to the party here but if some of you have a problem with how the mods do their job then I would be FASCINATED to hear how you would be better.

Because quite frankly none of you who have decided to take a little swipe either in this thread or the Thinking thread are capable of understanding the role our mods have and the stuff that goes on behind scenes to ensure this place remains as fair and open as possible. Anyone can backseat moderate - it takes something special to be selected to actually DO it for real.

What a shambles...

Jay

K.I.N.G.
First off I want to thank Femme and the rest of the staff for doing what they do. Well, now that a bit of time has passed maybe this thread can get back on track.

In recent news on Capcom's financial state, game producer Yoshinori Ono tweeted that they wish they could port their games to Next Gen consoles. But currently don't have the resources to do so. A company not being able to make a complete new game for next gen is understandable. But when they can't even port the same current game over that shows how deep they're in. Capcom has been one of my fave game producers since the 90s and I'm not here to bash them. Its just the situations they are in is inevitably what they themselves caused. Any important news I find will be posted here.

zbCgGIt.png

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
There's a very simple reason for Capcom's financial situation: they've stopped making games for the gamers. They've become cash hounds and, in the name of improvement, they've completely lost sight of what gaming is, what's actually interesting and have completely ruined their on-going series'. And their creative teams change too frequently to retain any semblance of an actual timeline.
Capcom is getting as bad as comic books except they don't have the excuse of years and years of work. Staying on-track for six games has to be easier than staying on track for eighty some odd years.
Going digital was also one of their problems as they don't seem to understand what DLC is; they've completely abused the idea of downloadable content in an effort to make money. Instead of charging for add-ons, they've decided to give you half of a game for $60 and then charge you an extra $10 - $20 for the other half.

I hate to say it, because I've enjoyed Capcom in the past, but they sorta, kinda, maybe just a little bit brought this one themselves.

I say it's karma for screwing over their fans.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
First off I want to thank Femme and the rest of the staff for doing what they do. Well, now that a bit of time has passed maybe this thread can get back on track.

In recent news on Capcom's financial state, game producer Yoshinori Ono tweeted that they wish they could port their games to Next Gen consoles. But currently don't have the resources to do so. A company not being able to make a complete new game for next gen is understandable. But when they can't even port the same current game over that shows how deep they're in. Capcom has been one of my fave game producers since the 90s and I'm not here to bash them. Its just the situations they are in is inevitably what they themselves caused. Any important news I find will be posted here.

zbCgGIt.png
Well to be fair, we don't know what kind of port he's talking about...For example, REmake was prot to Gamecube from the original game, however, it was COMPLETELY revamped from the ground up. Maybe that's the kind of ports he's talking about. That being said, it's totally understandable to not have the resources considering their predicament...

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Going digital was also one of their problems as they don't seem to understand what DLC is; they've completely abused the idea of downloadable content in an effort to make money. Instead of charging for add-ons, they've decided to give you half of a game for $60 and then charge you an extra $10 - $20 for the other half.
That right there is where they screwed up the most.

Well to be fair, we don't know what kind of port he's talking about...For example, REmake was prot to Gamecube from the original game, however, it was COMPLETELY revamped from the ground up. Maybe that's the kind of ports he's talking about. That being said, it's totally understandable to not have the resources considering their predicament...
He was talking about USF4 (Ultra Street Fighter 4). A fan was asking him a question on twitter about if we would see USF4 on current and next gen consoles. That's when he replied with that. If Capcom doesn't have enough resources to port over just a fighter, its no way they could make a title for it either then.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
Their one of my favourite developers from my childhood but I have to say, theyr brought this on themselfs. Absolute F'ing Milkers! Milking all our favourite games and ripping off their fans too long- has to be said!!!!
Releasing like three versions of their fighting games, over pricing revelations, over priced and late dlc in Re6, re5 non releasing dlc for pc, I can go on, Dead Rising 3 sold out to the Xbox reapers shafting all their playstation fans, Should be at least on ps4 and pc as well, just catastrophe after catastrophe and if one things certain its capcom over price and milk their loyal fans to the core, and yes I also believe in Karma.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
It pleases me to see this discussion back on track again.

In the opening post it was said that they have 152 million in the bank, and I guess they don't have any debt since it was not mentioned. Unless it's Yen we're talking about (it's probably USD), they can't be about to go bankrupt? As long as they can pay their bills they will stay afloat. Maybe 152 millions is not enough to make a new big game, but if they already got 152 millions, wouldn't a bank or some other investor be willing to buy an obligation from Capcom? The entertainment industry may be different, but in almost all other industries it is common to borrow money to finish a product. A game or a movie is probably considered a high risk investment, but is it so high that nobody are willing to lend money to this industry?

If 152 millions is not enough to make any sort of game and if nobody is willing to lend them money, then they can just split those millions on the owners and dissolve the company.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Dead Rising 3 sold out to the Xbox reapers shafting all their playstation fans.
Thank you! Yet another reason Capcom is in financial trouble. Above everything I want to know why they're screwing over their PlayStation fans! (Because I can understand their money angle, even if I may not like it very much.)

Resident Evil has always been a PlayStation game, so I want to know why they've made Resident Evil games that some PlayStation fans may never see. Why is it that, when a Dino Crisis 3 was made - despite the fact that it reeked like week-old gym socks - it was made for the Xbox 360 and not the PlayStation console?

I don't know about everyone else but I'm pretty console-monogamous. Simply put: I'm a Sony PlayStation girl. Have been since the beginning and I'm not about to jump ship for an Xbox, a Wii or hardcore PC gaming anytime soon. (Especially not to play one game that's part of a series I like.)

Meg

So bin ich eben
Thank you! Yet another reason Capcom is in financial trouble. Above everything I want to know why they're screwing over their PlayStation fans! (Because I can understand their money angle, even if I may not like it very much.)

Resident Evil has always been a PlayStation game, so I want to know why they've made Resident Evil games that some PlayStation fans may never see. Why is it that, when a Dino Crisis 3 was made - despite the fact that it reeked like week-old gym socks - it was made for the Xbox 360 and not the PlayStation console?

I don't know about everyone else but I'm pretty console-monogamous. Simply put: I'm a Sony PlayStation girl. Have been since the beginning and I'm not about to jump ship for an Xbox, a Wii or hardcore PC gaming anytime soon. (Especially not to play one game that's part of a series I like.)
Microsoft and Sony pay for games to be exclusives. So if the offer Microsoft made was more than want Capcom estimated to make from PS3 sales, it's logical for them to go with console exclusivity.

Top Bottom