• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Going Bankrupt

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Microsoft and Sony pay for games to be exclusives. So if the offer Microsoft made was more than want Capcom estimated to make from PS3 sales, it's logical for them to go with console exclusivity.
But it doesn't make sense when the game in question used to be a PS exclusive. Sorta a slap in the face to the people who are the reason you're such a success, don'tcha think?

Meg

So bin ich eben
But it doesn't make sense when the game in question used to be a PS exclusive. Sorta a slap in the face to the people who are the reason you're such a success, don'tcha think?
Wait. Are you referring to Dead Rising or Resident Evil? Because I thought Dead Rising was originally a Xbox exclusive.

And what Resident Evil game is this? I haven't heard anything. :confused:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Resident Evil.

Neither the Remake or Zero are accessible to PlayStation users, which wouldn't be so much of a rip if they weren't main-timeline installments.

And whether it's logical or profitable or not, it's part of the reason their finances and future are in peril; because they're screwing their fans. Royally.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
It pleases me to see this discussion back on track again.
In the opening post it was said that they have 152 million in the bank, and I guess they don't have any debt since it was not mentioned. Unless it's Yen we're talking about (it's probably USD), they can't be about to go bankrupt? As long as they can pay their bills they will stay afloat. Maybe 152 millions is not enough to make a new big game, but if they already got 152 millions, wouldn't a bank or some other investor be willing to buy an obligation from Capcom? The entertainment industry may be different, but in almost all other industries it is common to borrow money to finish a product. A game or a movie is probably considered a high risk investment, but is it so high that nobody are willing to lend money to this industry?
If 152 millions is not enough to make any sort of game and if nobody is willing to lend them money, then they can just split those millions on the owners and dissolve the company.

To answer your question Romero, its not necessarily the money that is their main issue, its the lack of trust from the fanbase that will lead them into possible bankruptcy. Time after time Capcom has canceled, ruined, and disrespected their fans and even their own employees. For example, Keiji Inafune is the co-creator the Megaman franchise. For a long time he worked for Capcom and saw how they were going down and making poor decisions. Capcom laid off half of their staff on some of the biggest projects and franchises they were known for. Back in 2010 he decided to leave Capcom and start his own game company called Comcept. He then recently started a Kickstarter (fund raiser) to bring his new title Mighty No.9 to life. Fans donated and in less than a week the project earned four million in donations. With the goal only being 900k, but he made four times the amount he needed to create it. You see, this thing goes beyond what they have in the bank, possible loans, or investments. People won't trust them enough to buy their titles and in the end they will lose profits from poor sales. Also to top it off Capcom recently is trying to start their own Kickstarter to bring back some of the games that they original canceled, but say they're "listening for fan input". I can tell you that isn't going to end the same way Keiji's project did. Link to the Mighty No.9 Kickstarter below.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Their one of my favourite developers from my childhood but I have to say, theyr brought this on themselfs. Absolute F'ing Milkers! Milking all our favourite games and ripping off their fans too long- has to be said!!!!
Releasing like three versions of their fighting games, over pricing revelations, over priced and late dlc in Re6, re5 non releasing dlc for pc, I can go on, Dead Rising 3 sold out to the Xbox reapers shafting all their playstation fans, Should be at least on ps4 and pc as well, just catastrophe after catastrophe and if one things certain its capcom over price and milk their loyal fans to the core, and yes I also believe in Karma.
...I don't see anything wrong with making a game a console exclusive...I mean...It really isn't fair to berate them for that...I mean...Would you be happy if Halo made a jump to being on PS AND XBox? No...Exclusives are a ok...And I absolutely HATE XBox and Microsoft gaming systems...So this isn't a bias thing...I just don't see any issue with that whatsoever. Besides, Capcom does ports of all their exclusives after a while. They always have with Street Fighter and RE, so why wouldn't they with Dread Rising...Patience is a virtue...

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
Yeah Microsoft would have offered Capcom a healthy bribe to make it Xbox only. The thing is CAPCOM started on Playstation like the lady above mentioned :) So they should have had the balls to say no to xbox, but with their financial circumstances the bribes from xbox were probaly too high for them to resist.
The annoying end of this is it becomes completely for money and Not about the game. Because if they wanted the best version of the game, it is develop it for PC first and then console, not the other way round, As they would get better textures and more enemies on screen etc. and with the playstation 4 going to more powerful than the XBox One, if anything it should have been Sony Exclusive! I think Capcom forgot their roots and didn't show loyalty too many times. Their recent games have probaly struggled with this legacy.

I also started playing Resident Evil on PS1 and had PS2 also for many years I was playing Sony, but im not alligned to a console having owned most consoles from Master System up to currently i have 360 and a PC.

In all honesty, I am more excited for the horror games called 'The Evil Within', from one of the first Resident Evil directors, and the game from Techland called Dying Light. I think Resident Evil 5 and 6 were good but I agree they suffer major identity crisis. For me, perhaps a licensed publication from a fresh new developer, or a new take on the Resident Evil 'universe' is needed. And Not another repeat of the shambles that was Racoon City.

I've said before they would benefit from a more explorative, hard core and scary Resident Evil-something akin to Fallout level of exploring, with combat as visceral as Dead Island and perhaps online functionality with co-op .. I think they should become more of a publishing house and get some new blood and ideas in-maybe partner up for some future games. Epic Games ex staff Cliff Belinksy once said he wished Capcom would let him fix Re. I think Epic would do a better job than Capcoms own developers have managed recently.

...I don't see anything wrong with making a game a console exclusive...I mean...It really isn't fair to berate them for that...I mean...Would you be happy if Halo made a jump to being on PS AND XBox? No...Exclusives are a ok...And I absolutely HATE XBox and Microsoft gaming systems...So this isn't a bias thing...I just don't see any issue with that whatsoever. Besides, Capcom does ports of all their exclusives after a while. They always have with Street Fighter and RE, so why wouldn't they with Dread Rising...Patience is a virtue...
They have stated time and time again that THIS dead rising 3 WILL be an exclusive meaning exclusive. However, knowing Capcoms past they are bound to release it again with some BS extra like Directors cut, or dead rising 3.5 or some other excuse, which would be in some ways breach of that exclusive contract that Xbox have blatantly paid through the teeth for. And the fact that I already assume they Will break this exclusivety and release a half asses excuse that is actually the SAME game rehashed (and probaly re-released and Sold on Xbox One for full cost)-just like their Dead Rising 2 and Street Fighters- it just prooves how reknown Capcom are for making a game then MILKING IT TO OBLIVION

It is probaly the only good launch exclusive xbox have, and their trying to keep it this way.

And in answer, I've never liked Halo and couldnt care. I've always wished they would release Gears 2 and 3 on PC . I hate exclusivety, it just forces people to buy a system they dont want or need. Not to mention that nearly every game runs slower on Xbox than it would on PS or indeed PC! I say share around. I dont care.

Look at the absolute Bullsh*t surrounding GTA V and PC release. Everyone knows it is GOING to happen, however Rockstar have been contracted by PS3 and Xbox to not confirm this, until they have sold all these console copies. Supply and demand.

Use EDIT instead of doubleposting! Merged. ~R

Last edited by a moderator:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
They have stated time and time again that THIS dead rising 3 WILL be an exclusive meaning exclusive. However, knowing Capcoms past they are bound to release it again with some BS extra like Directors cut, or dead rising 3.5 or some other excuse, which would be in some ways breach of that exclusive contract that Xbox have blatantly paid through the teeth for. And the fact that I already assume they Will break this exclusivety and release a half asses excuse that is actually the SAME game rehashed (and probaly re-released and Sold on Xbox One for full cost)-just like their Dead Rising 2 and Street Fighters- it just prooves how reknown Capcom are for making a game then MILKING IT TO OBLIVION

It is probaly the only good launch exclusive xbox have, and their trying to keep it this way.

And in answer, I've never liked Halo and couldnt care. I've always wished they would release Gears 2 and 3 on PC . I hate exclusivety, it just forces people to buy a system they dont want or need. Not to mention that nearly every game runs slower on Xbox than it would on PS or indeed PC! I say share around. I dont care.

Look at the absolute Bullsh*t surrounding GTA V and PC release. Everyone knows it is GOING to happen, however Rockstar have been contracted by PS3 and Xbox to not confirm this, until they have sold all these console copies. Supply and demand.

Use EDIT instead of doubleposting! Merged. ~R
Releasing something on PC before consoles is just an awful idea though. While I honestly can't deny that the PC is in the vast majority of times far better in its gaming capabilities, there are MUCH less PC gamers than there are console gamers. There's a mighty army, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure if we were to create a poll on here, the vast majority would state that they're console over PC. Not ot mention, PC is probably more expensive to develop, DUE to the fact that it's superior, so they must release console versions first. They sell faster, generating MORE revenue simple because there are MORE console gamers, and because they're more cost effective to make. And, odds are most PC gamers DO have a game system, as opposed to not all console gamers have a computer that supports hard-core gaming. Becoming a computer gamer is a much more expensive endeavor than console gaming.

As far as exclusives go, whether you like Halo or not is not relevant my friend, because it's one of the single best selling game franchises of ALL TIME. That's not a fact. I personally think Halo is a rather dull franchise, but the MASSES of fans say otherwise. And if the game is SO appealing that it's the SOLE reason an individual gets a particular game system, then more power to them. Nintendo may be a little behind in the polls right now, but wanna know why people keep coming back? Mario...Pokemon...Zelda...All these exclusives keep people buying. Nintendo probably wouldn't even be MAKING systems anymore if these titles weren't exclusives. So whether you hate exclusives or not, they're a staple in the video gaming industry, and ALWAYS has been. It's not leaving. Just like you stated earlier. Supply and Demand. People DEMAND certain titles, and it's up to the company to supply them. If the person wants it bad enough, they're GOING to spring a few extra bucks for the console due to exclusivity. That's just smart business right there.

As far as the GTA V release goes. Anybody who was absolutely DESPERATE for GTA V and wanted it for PC PROBABLY has it on console already anyway. It they want it bad enough (which obviously people did considering its sales records) something small like it not being on PC isn't going to stop the VAST majority. Whether on likes it or not, the majority always wins. And I can talk like this as an outsider looking IN seeing as I don't partake in modern day gaming at ALL. I only play Gamecube era and back, but that doesn't mean as a smart consumer, businessman, and most of all SALESMAN that I don't know and notice a thing or two about the modern urban market.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Much as I like to keep exclusives, from a business stand point its whoever can dish out enough to get it nowadays.

To put all this simply, if Capcom doesn't change their ways fans will not buy their titles and they could possibly go bankrupt. Don't give us half development games, and bring back the titles we want.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Oh I don't mind games becoming non-exclusive to a single platform but it would be nice to still be able to play the game.

I honestly don't see the point in having two games for one platform - a single platform - and then having a sequel to those to come out on another platform exclusively. A platform where the fans have no idea about the other two games. It's like you're shutting out the people who were fans of your games in the first place in favor of people who have more than likely never played before. And it's not like you're broadening your horizons by making the game multi-platform you're just switching from one exclusive to the other.

Fenris

Wolf :)
I think we don't have to worry about Resident Evil. After all Resident Evil is one of the biggest videogame franchises and I'm sure most developers would die to develop such a great game. (Yes Resident Evil has been not the same in the last couple of years but imagine how it would push your career if you could tell "Hey I've worked on a Resident Evil Game!") And I would love to see what other companies could do with the franchise. Capcom made Resident Evil famous but it is time for some new stuff to happen. Resident Evil 6 was an average game in my opinion and Revelations are very good one but still at most points they still have the same pattern and the overall plot of the series is since RE4 nothing more than a huge timeline of different plots wihtout any real connection (The plot from Zero-CV was still good in my opinion but since RE4 the plot misses a common theme).

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I think we don't have to worry about Resident Evil. After all Resident Evil is one of the biggest videogame franchises and I'm sure most developers would die to develop such a great game.
I'm sure they probably aren't as eager as you think with the decline in sales. No matter what the reason for Resident Evil's fall from grace, whether it be lost consumer interest or fault on Capcom's part, no one is going to want to pick up a dying franchise.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Oh I don't mind games becoming non-exclusive to a single platform but it would be nice to still be able to play the game.

I honestly don't see the point in having two games for one platform - a single platform - and then having a sequel to those to come out on another platform exclusively. A platform where the fans have no idea about the other two games. It's like you're shutting out the people who were fans of your games in the first place in favor of people who have more than likely never played before. And it's not like you're broadening your horizons by making the game multi-platform you're just switching from one exclusive to the other.
But think about it. They did the same thing with RE. The original three titles were PS exclusives. They then switched to being Nintendo Exclusives for RE4 and REmake, which are both WIDELY Considered to be the best games in the series.

I know a LOT of people that have both systems...XBox 360 AND PS3, so XBox players wouldn't be strangers to the series in MOST cases. That being said, I don't have an XBox because I HATE Microsoft gaming, but I love Dead Rising so much, I am actually debating getting the system for that SINGLE game. So there is definitely dedication there. And considering how much I Hate Microsoft, you can bet that if I'm willing to do it, so are others. It's not the most fair option, to make it an XBoxOne Exclusive, but it is a VERY good and profitable business tactic, and they would be fools to waste it. Just like they did in the early 2000's with Nintendo and RE...

Meg

So bin ich eben
Look at it this way, a lot of "exclusives" now-a-days are timed exclusives. Meaning they will eventually come over to other systems. So perhaps that will happen here. :)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Look at it this way, a lot of "exclusives" now-a-days are timed exclusives. Meaning they will eventually come over to other systems. So perhaps that will happen here. :)
Which we ALL know Capcom does all the time, so I definitely agree with this.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Minus Nintendo they stay true. Bringing quality over quantity. And they refuse any attempt to sell those Exclusives out.

Anyways far as Capcom goes unless they change there ways I'm about 85% sure they just get bought out to M$ who will then make it exclusive for a few extra bucks. Microsoft has always been about money. so buying out popular games puts more paper in their pockets.

Sony which wasn't like that...well I dunno really I was always a Nintendo person I have a Ps3 and Xbox and I noticed the trend with games the more hyped they are the bigger loads of trash they were. (Looking at you Revelations)

And I can still bet you people would buy for the title alone. Resident Evil (Or my favorite: Biohazard)
I myself own a Nintendo Product, M$ product and Sony product so I can't see I know the feeling of exclusives I mean **** Nintendo has like what 7 exclusives?

I can't recall how many Sony has

M$ has like 2

KK said my stand point about the consoles.

I can tell you guys from playing exclusives from all three there is a pretty BIG difference.

Nintendo-Pure Quality endless entertainment

Sony-Slight Quality no where near Nintendo but can keep you entertained for a solid month

M$- Quantity- Stories are long but boring as a f-ing turtle there was one Exclusive that stuck out that was State of
Decay which is more quality than quantity but eh. could use some work.

Business standpoint. well nobody cares it's just how much green gets in your pocket. Again minus Nintendo.

One thing that never made sense to me was why Nintendo GC has REmake and Zero. I mean since it isn't a Iconic series to them expected them to give it back to Sony. but eh?

It kinda scares me how territorial they are.

OH one last thing

Basic rundown

Nintendo = Original quality work.

Sony = Copying Ideas for their own products. (Lazy ****s)

M$- Release anything. as long as it gets MONAAAY

That's how I saw the companies after actually thinking about the internet console wars.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Minus Nintendo they stay true. Bringing quality over quantity. And they refuse any attempt to sell those Exclusives out.

Anyways far as Capcom goes unless they change there ways I'm about 85% sure they just get bought out to M$ who will then make it exclusive for a few extra bucks. Microsoft has always been about money. so buying out popular games puts more paper in their pockets.

Sony which wasn't like that...well I dunno really I was always a Nintendo person I have a Ps3 and Xbox and I noticed the trend with games the more hyped they are the bigger loads of trash they were. (Looking at you Revelations)

And I can still bet you people would buy for the title alone. Resident Evil (Or my favorite: Biohazard)
I myself own a Nintendo Product, M$ product and Sony product so I can't see I know the feeling of exclusives I mean **** Nintendo has like what 7 exclusives?

I can't recall how many Sony has

M$ has like 2

KK said my stand point about the consoles.

I can tell you guys from playing exclusives from all three there is a pretty BIG difference.

Nintendo-Pure Quality endless entertainment

Sony-Slight Quality no where near Nintendo but can keep you entertained for a solid month

M$- Quantity- Stories are long but boring as a f-ing turtle there was one Exclusive that stuck out that was State of
Decay which is more quality than quantity but eh. could use some work.

Business standpoint. well nobody cares it's just how much green gets in your pocket. Again minus Nintendo.

One thing that never made sense to me was why Nintendo GC has REmake and Zero. I mean since it isn't a Iconic series to them expected them to give it back to Sony. but eh?

It kinda scares me how territorial they are.

OH one last thing

Basic rundown

Nintendo = Original quality work.

Sony = Copying Ideas for their own products. (Lazy *****)

M$- Release anything. as long as it gets MONAAAY

That's how I saw the companies after actually thinking about the internet console wars.

But Capcom and Nintendo have always had a pretty decent relationship, so it makes sense that they do exclusives for them. Also, a reason they didn't stick with Sony, the GC actually had more advanced graphic chip processors (Or whatever the exact terminology is) than the PS2, and REmake and RE4 were ALL about Graphics. RE4 won multiple awards for game with best graphics. Compare the GC version to the later ported over PS2 version of RE4 when it comes to graphics, and there are actually very noticeable differences.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
But Capcom and Nintendo have always had a pretty decent relationship, so it makes sense that they do exclusives for them. Also, a reason they didn't stick with Sony, the GC actually had more advanced graphic chip processors (Or whatever the exact terminology is) than the PS2, and REmake and RE4 were ALL about Graphics. RE4 won multiple awards for game with best graphics. Compare the GC version to the later ported over PS2 version of RE4 when it comes to graphics, and there are actually very noticeable differences.
Noticeable in SSBU.

Never owned a PS2 never cared.

But I wasn't too knowledgeable about CC's and Nintendo's relationship

Top Bottom