• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 what happened to resident evil?

ghost

what the hell happened to resident evil it used to be about the survival horror now all it is is an action game, don't get me wrong i love resident evil 4 and 5 but there is no horror in the game anymore, what happened to the puzzles they made resident evil even more challenging, now the game is about getting as many enemies on the screen, shame on the developers for developing a game that shouldn't be called resident evil:(

from a disgruntle horror fan

Hoady

Yeah i see where your coming from in all honesty i wouldn't have minded Re5 if they didn't include sheva for me she ruined everything i hated having to share all my equipment, she kept distracting bosses and any form of isolation at all disappears also no merchant was crap.

I liked Resident Evil 4 alot more and it actually seemed like it had some RE essence in it you know the regenerators and such now we've got 2 secret agents killing everything in there path and the enemies are just a bunch of psychopaths.In a interview somewhere i read they said they were going to have to change the Resident Evil formula as its getting to similar so hope for the best for some scares.

ValentineFan

I agree though, even though I really like the new RE, playing it now, it kinda feels more like a shoot em' up- rather than Resident Evil.

A_Wesker123

The Original
Whilst i enjoyed the hell out of RE5, it just didn't feel like an RE game to me. It's defiantly not survival horor, more of a full on action game.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
La Femme Fatale;36720 said:
Good Speculation!
i can never be bortherd to show previous threads with the same subject to people asking the same qeustions lol

but yeah dude its a on going subject
haha I like as many enemies on the screen as possible, if you got the right gun (RPG) you can get a literal meat shower. its awesome haha.

Nosophoros

Maybe RE6 will have zombies in it.....I mean I loved RE4 and although I haven't played 5 (I only have wii + PC) it didn't seem very good.

Hoady

I did think the game was awesome despite my wingy rant but from the Resident evil perspective i think it sucked.Playing the game normally without thinking about RE past i can finely say the game did kick ass.I will like to see where it goes, Resident Evil 4s first build went an over ridiculously drastic version of resident evil if the hallucinations and enemies stayed as zombies or similar to RE universe(not those insane dolls with knives)i can gladly say that game would've been excellent too but i love Re4 couldn't change it.

ResidentZelda

In my opinion the game sucked, really badly, fook yourself Sheva stop stealing my ammo!, and the only zombie reference were the lickers.

Rollin6z

Actually, there were those kind of Zombies on the conveyor belts that were infected with Progenitor which the T-Virus was made from. Where you get the 2 Dead Bride's Necklaces. But I still think they should do Resident Evil 6 in Raccoon City with Zombies and the whole ancholotta. Like Wesker's involvement since he was missing for that 'incident'.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
RoxyValentine;36909 said:
They're not even zombies anymore! :verymad:
I like zombies too, but at least the enemies has gotten quicker and smarter. I believe it's good that they use various enemies, not only zombies? But they could have still made it a survivor/horror game.

The gaming market is flooded by action games, I don't know about many horror games. So let's hope they return to horror in later games.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Rollin6z;40617 said:
Actually, there were those kind of Zombies on the conveyor belts that were infected with Progenitor which the T-Virus was made from. Where you get the 2 Dead Bride's Necklaces. But I still think they should do Resident Evil 6 in Raccoon City with Zombies and the whole ancholotta. Like Wesker's involvement since he was missing for that 'incident'.
Good point! I had never even thought of that. :)

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Hmmm, well ghost I don't see how you can call RE4 or RE5 'action games' as they are missing many elements to being action games. There were many things put in for a little horror, and as I don't think any of the RE games were especially scary, RE4 & RE5 both have that tension when playing, the tension of 'I'm about to die', and that has been present in every RE game.:)

NiteKrawler

Spike991;40634 said:
Hmmm, well ghost I don't see how you can call RE4 or RE5 'action games' as they are missing many elements to being action games. There were many things put in for a little horror, and as I don't think any of the RE games were especially scary, RE4 & RE5 both have that tension when playing, the tension of 'I'm about to die', and that has been present in every RE game.:)

They may be missing some action elements, but they are also missing some survival elements.

Action Elements Missing:
Run and gun
Auto-healing
Basic jump ability
Mandatory unintelligence

Survival Elements Missing:
Low ammo
Solitary play
Feeling of helplessness stemming from having low ammo
Mandatory intelligence

Should RE4 and 5 be in their own genre? They are the only games I know of that mix action and survival horror and do it well. Great games even if they don't focus on one genre. Maybe better games because of it?

Feng-Hi

It's a different target audience now, they can get away changing it for fans as we can see and accept the evolution of the game. It would be harder to sell the old style original to new fans.....my opinion.

Sephiroxas

People don't have very good attention spans now a days, and if you don't make a game that keeps peoples interests via action, then no ones ganna buy it. It's all about money buddy.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Everything's all about money, whoever said it doesn't make the world go 'round is a liar. :lol:

Just to add on to what Sephy said; the thing is, and I hate to break it to ya, but I really don't think Capcom is all too concerned about catering to older fans of the series. They know we'll keep buying the games considering the words 'Resident Evil' are slapped onto the title somwehere. By continuing to make games in the style of RE 4 and 5, they gain an entirely new audience on-top of their older consumers. Yeah. :)

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
NiteKrawler;40702 said:
They may be missing some action elements, but they are also missing some survival elements.

Action Elements Missing:
Run and gun
Auto-healing
Basic jump ability
Mandatory unintelligence

Survival Elements Missing:
Low ammo
Solitary play
Feeling of helplessness stemming from having low ammo
Mandatory intelligence

Should RE4 and 5 be in their own genre? They are the only games I know of that mix action and survival horror and do it well. Great games even if they don't focus on one genre. Maybe better games because of it?

RE4 had solitary play, RE5 just added the partner, which was also in Outbreak along with another partner.:) The ammo isn't unlimited, and as I have said before when I play any other RE game, or just any other game in general, I always seem to have tons of it...no doubt my experience with REmake.:)

I think there is plenty of that 'helpless' feeling in both RE4 and RE5. I think the way the gameplay has developed, at least mostly has done so pretty well.

Some of the ways the games have developed have obviously been because of 'money', or more specifically to target another audience...and I have said this many times before, how Capcom doesn't seem to care about the older fans, and keep trying to cater to the 'newer' ones, but it doesn't change the fact that RE4 & RE5 are just another couple of RE games.

Another thing that has changed has been how we are not in a single location for an extended amount of time, which will rid of some of the previous elements. We are no longer staying in a Mansion, we are going from a base to an island, or from a village to a castle and so forth...we do so much more traveling for sure.:)

rocklikebrucelee

Well they're going to reboot the franchise, so hopefully it goes back to its zombie filled, "Oh ****! I ran out of ammo and there's this huge thing in my face!" *equips survival knife*, puzzle-oriented roots. :D

Top Bottom