• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 It's Official, after RE6 Resi will be action all the way.

Silverback

Moving Mountains
Resident Evil dropped it's original personality and picked up a second personality.

[Personality 1- Survival Horror] was dropped and replaced with [Survival-Action - Personality 2]

This is what I've come to believe. I mean, we all know that these two genre's are different in nature.

They are two seperate masks worn by the same genre, technically. One mask is the embodiment of pure evil (SH) and the other, a representation of physical exertion. (SA)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Resident Evil dropped it's original personality and picked up a second personality.

[Personality 1- Survival Horror] was dropped and replaced with [Survival-Action - Personality 2]

This is what I've come to believe. I mean, we all know that these two genre's are different in nature.

They are two seperate masks worn by the same genre, technically. One mask is the embodiment of pure evil (SH) and the other, a representation of physical exertion. (SA)
That's a very interesting way to look at it Silverback...Wise even...Congratulations...

Silverback

Moving Mountains
You know, only a wise man doesn't believe he is wise...
What? If I am indeed wise, I owe it all to God. Maybe contemplating on Bible scripture has caused me to meditate on a deeper level than I had previously.

Thank you, Jesus, and thank you, KennedyKiller. :D

Superh

Just went over to Capcom unity to see what the discussion was over there regarding this, and of course, the staff over there are defending the hell out of this new change.

Here is a post from one of them

"Well you say they've lost tons of fans, yet it seems like each Resident Evil game sells better than the last, sooooooooo....can you really blame them for going with the stuff that works better? Also, ORC isn't a canon game, nor was it developed by the regular teams. As for survival horror, these days, it really has fallen into a rut. Even Silent Hill games have been doing significantly worse since Silent Hill 3.
Resident Evil is focused more on action these days, and part of that is based on critics. You can say the older RE games are the roots, but people will play them now and complain about a lot of stuff (inability to aim your shots, tank controls, save limits, etc.), and this affects their products. Capcom wants to make a game that does well financially and critically, especially when so much money goes into this series (RE6 is considered to be one of Capcom's biggest projects, if not THE biggest).

You say Capcom is becoming a follower, though the COD crowd is still very different (to the point where I would say the average Call of Duty player isn't really a gamer). At least RE players play the games for the stories and the gameplay, and the overall experience. Over half of Call of Duty players don't even touch the single player campaign.
"

These guys just disgust me honestly....

They are perfectly willing to isolate its fanbase in favor of a larger more generic/casual fanbase such as Call of Duty.

Well obviously that is a pile of ****, because i have just started getting into resident evil. My first game was 5. At the moment i'm playing through the REmake and I'm loving it. it's already one of my favorite GameCube games. ****es all over resident evil 5. I even prefer the fixed camera views over the third person view. I'm going to by resident evil 2 and 3 soon, despite their still over £30 price tag second hand on the gamecube.

the fact that these games still go for that much proves that survival horror games STILL SELL!

The only reason i enjoyed resident evil 5 so much was because I played it in CO-OP 90% of the time. every time i played it by myself, i got very bored very fast. Resi 5 was a survival action game, but i think that the survival element to it was ruined and lessened the longer you played it. Why? the bank of items system. you could stroll into a level with tons of stock piled ammo.

Capcom are just hungry for the COD gamers. They ignore anything that they think makes less money than what they think they can get out of COD gamers.

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
i think it's about time people come to realise, Resident evil has taken a different direction, with the current team working on it, we will never have the tradition style we crave and love, no, we have to settle for action orientated games. so bearing that in mind, stop complaining so much, it's not like it was ever really hinted at being the next reboot into traditional survival horror, after 2 games, which went in a completely different direction you should come to expect it by now..yes it will be action all the way, but i bet it will see be a good game once you look past the fact it's not like the originals we fell in love with. it may have changed a lot but it doesn't "suck" when you think what's actually on the market today, in fact it's probably going to be a ****ing awesome game, but what happens is people are clouded in this resident evil 1-3 style and can't understand change has happened. now don't get me wrong, i love the originals more than the later ones, but i have excepted that the change has happened and there's nothing we can do as consumers to stop it, the only glimmer of hope at the moment is shinji mikami teasing us with the idea he may be able to take survival horror back to it's roots.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
i think it's about time people come to realise, Resident evil has taken a different direction, with the current team working on it, we will never have the tradition style we crave and love, no, we have to settle for action orientated games. so bearing that in mind, stop complaining so much, it's not like it was ever really hinted at being the next reboot into traditional survival horror, after 2 games, which went in a completely different direction you should come to expect it by now..yes it will be action all the way, but i bet it will see be a good game once you look past the fact it's not like the originals we fell in love with. it may have changed a lot but it doesn't "suck" when you think what's actually on the market today, in fact it's probably going to be a ******* awesome game, but what happens is people are clouded in this resident evil 1-3 style and can't understand change has happened. now don't get me wrong, i love the originals more than the later ones, but i have excepted that the change has happened and there's nothing we can do as consumers to stop it, the only glimmer of hope at the moment is shinji mikami teasing us with the idea he may be able to take survival horror back to it's roots.

Not to sound like a douche, but your in no position to tell us to stop complaining and if you have a problem with this complaining than ignore it.

fact is that many people are fully aware of the direction the Resident Evil series is trying to take.

But that certainly does not mean that we should approve or stay silent to it all simply because "there is nothing we can do".

And we shouldn't have to "settle" for anything we do not like.

And I myself knew full well that they would not go back completely to the classic style of gameplay. But I atleast hoped that they would get back to SURVIVAL HORROR more than action. I don't care if this game plays like RE4 and RE5, what I care about is it actually being survival horror. They could make the Resident Evil series First person for all I care and I still would be ok with it as long as it added survival horror and classic elements back into the mix.

Now as I have said for the 100x time, the Resident Evil series should evolve, but not at the cost of its identity. All the fans are really asking for is for Resident Evil to get back to its "roots" and be scary again, and I do not find that unreasonable at all. Just make it scary, add dark scenery, add some zombies and challenging puzzles and I'm sure the fans will be pleased. You can still have your over the top action at certain parts of the game, just don't make it the "driving force" thats all.

That being said, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 6 or more specifically Leon's part of the game.

Hoady

I agree with you Aintnoscrub. The way i see it, as long as we still live in a world that is based purely on the pursuit of money, then creativity will be destroyed. As disheartening as that is well that is the way it is and i am not hoping on Resident Evil creating anymore scares for me. And that is fine because sooner or later someone else is going to step up, so the games which did hold true for there time, will always be. At least it didn't turn out as hideous as Silent Hill did, if some of the original creators are on board still well then that is somewhat a sigh of relief. Whatever you do Capcom.. don't hurt Leon!

If they go action i don't think they should hold themselves back on some cheap ass account to try to sell a horror(Resident Evil 5: The worst nightmare.. or something). If they go that direction at least be honest about it, and if you truly can't cater to both crowds then stop hold yourself back in the gameplay aspects.

At Tocool74 side of the argument i do somewhat agree that had they gone a different style..they could pull of a survival horror. But due to the success of the Resident Evil 4 formula, i think they are only trying to evolve that now. It did have its scares though too. In my honest opinion though them going the full blown action route is not the right choice because they are competing against some real champions out there. Although good quality they will never compete with the likes of COD or Halo. Even Gears of War as popular as it is, is much less so then these games and i believe absolutely dominates them in terms of action.

Horror in general lacks these days and its really a shame because gosh look at these graphics we have!! I don't remember one scary game this gen.. i'm serious. Someone with the guts and minds to do the job would, i believe, do very successful.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
You can please some of the fans some of the time, but you can't please all the fans all of the time. Way I see it is that you have your old school RE fans then you have your new generation that's more action base. Which is why Capcom in RE6 is giving us both of what we love. They know what the fans want and they're giving us just that. There should be no complaining at all because we're getting both of what makes RE such a great series. You have to accept the fact that Survival Horror alone will not sell by today's standards on games. Capcom knows this and its why they made the switch in RE5 and are making it even better in RE6. So to say RE will be all action here after is too soon to tell. But Capcom is going in the right direction by implementing both genres. At the end of the day companies are about making money, and they'll go with what they think is needed to make it in the market. While still trying to keep the series core.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
. You have to accept the fact that Survival Horror alone will not sell by today's standards on games. .

who is saying that it has to be 100x classic survival horror?

The real complaint I am seeing from fans is the LACK thereof not the fact that its not 100x survival horror. and the classic staple RE elements that made it popular today being absent in titles such as RE5 made fans even more worried. (challenging puzzles,zombies,dark scenary).

And I disagree with survival horror not selling well in todays market since Dead Space sold pretty damn well in today's market.

Granted that even Dead Space is not 100x survival horror but regardless it DOES fit in the survival horror genre and is a perfect example how to perfectly balance the "action and horror".

The main fear with the future of Resident Evil (not just RE6) is that Capcom is going fail at trying to balance the 2 and thus make it 90% action and 10% horror.

Now RE6 MAY be able to pull of the perfect balance, but what about the titles AFTER it? Even Capcom themselves said that they wish to continue the more "action oriented" route, so is it so unbelievable that we are worried about the future of Resident Evil?

yautjared

The RE series franchise, of course, has changed, along the way, during all time it exists ....

But, we have the good and bad side , of both survival horror enviroment, and survival action environment

• RE1 and 2 were damn good horror atmosphere types, but, very poor regarding mobility, freedom to shoot , and mediocre controls .... regarding old school, RE3 advanced some stuff, and , imo, was the best of the original trilogy

• RE4, took me 4 years to play : I was a very radical old school RE fan, and, I despised and totally ignored RE4, at first ..... only when I heard about RE5 coming out in 2009, so, I tried RE4, and, thought was a very cool game, despite being more action oriented, and much less, survival horror related .... in fact, there are only 2 moments, in the game, that resembles a bit survival horror :

- The meeting with U-3 (scary, in the first gameplay try)
- Being alone against Verdugo (scary as hell ! at least, the first time playing, hehe !)

Other than that, RE4 took another direction, but, in story department, they kept RE essence, on it ..... essentially, Capcom was experimenting with the new "over the shoulder" concept, and so, they are needing to put more action, and see how the characters could do , having more freedom to run, having not fixed camera angle limitation, and have freedom to choose where to aim, regarding enemy parts target .... they opted for a action oritented game, in order to "test" new RE game mechanic functionality

• RE5, basically, was Capcom trying to bring back old characters, into the new gameplay concept, but, taking not too much risks : "what worked on RE4, we gonna use and improve a bit, in the new game" .... more or less what Capcom developers might have thought, on that time .... So, they tried expanding RE universe into a far and , theorically, hostile environment, in Africa, but, the lack of dark atmosphere , and having, constantly, Sheva as company, make this game the least "scary"from the main series .... in fact, the only moment, and a short one, that RE5 resembles, but, in a very tiny and weak way, a survival horror, is in 5-1, where you have some suspense before meeting the lickers horde in the elevator .... and , maybe just a very weak try, when you meet a Reaper first time ..... anyway, RE5 is good as action, but, very poor executed regarding horror ...... but still, is a game that bring some good aspects related to the RE story ..... some good details in the files, that you find out along the game.

The perfect combination, could be a 50/50 : half game , with survival horror perspective, and another half, more action oriented .... but, seems pretty hard , to develop both ideas together, and even more harder, make them work in the same game .... RE6 seems that will try something like that, in a lower level (I believe RE6 will be 30% survival horror, and 70%, action pace), giving Leon first part of the game, a more old school feeling, but, the rest of game, specially Chris and Jake stories, more action oriented ....

It's hard to please fans, and it's hard to work having pressure to make the franchise, profitable viable, so, developers have their level of worries to deal to.
In the end, we have to wait, and see, along the year, more videos, analysis, to see what RE6 will be (the final product version) ....... we have to be aware, that, some people enjoy much more the "extras" and mercenaries mode , that come along with the game, than, the story mode itself, so, the action aspect of the game, is pointing out to Capcom, what , supposedly, they (Capcom) , see as a major aspect to make these games to sell well ....

If they are right or wrong, time will tell .......... :D

Jay

K.I.N.G.
who is saying that it has to be 100x classic survival horror?

The real complaint I am seeing from fans is the LACK thereof not the fact that its not 100x survival horror. and the classic staple RE elements that made it popular today being absent in titles such as RE5 made fans even more worried. (challenging puzzles,zombies,dark scenary).

And I disagree with survival horror not selling well in todays market since Dead Space sold pretty damn well in today's market.

Granted that even Dead Space is not 100x survival horror but regardless it DOES fit in the survival horror genre and is a perfect example how to perfectly balance the "action and horror".

The main fear with the future of Resident Evil (not just RE6) is that Capcom is going fail at trying to balance the 2 and thus make it 90% action and 10% horror.

Now RE6 MAY be able to pull of the perfect balance, but what about the titles AFTER it? Even Capcom themselves said that they wish to continue the more "action oriented" route, so is it so unbelievable that we are worried about the future of Resident Evil?
Yeah Dead Space did sell well. It was well balance between action and horror. But you can't disagree that the market for Survival Horror is declining because they're only a few companies still developing for the genre. Capcom may be worried now for what direction to take next, but whose to say a year or two from now they won't find the answer? Time will tell.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The RE series franchise, of course, has changed, along the way, during all time it exists ....

But, we have the good and bad side , of both survival horror enviroment, and survival action environment

• RE1 and 2 were damn good horror atmosphere types, but, very poor regarding mobility, freedom to shoot , and mediocre controls .... regarding old school, RE3 advanced some stuff, and , imo, was the best of the original trilogy
  • RE4, took me 4 years to play : I was a very radical old school RE fan, and, I despised and totally ignored RE4, at first ..... only when I heard about RE5 coming out in 2009, so, I tried RE4, and, thought was a very cool game, despite being more action oriented, and much less, survival horror related .... in fact, there are only 2 moments, in the game, that resembles a bit survival horror :
- The meeting with U-3 (scary, in the first gameplay try)
- Being alone against Verdugo (scary as hell ! at least, the first time playing, hehe !)

Other than that, RE4 took another direction, but, in story department, they kept RE essence, on it ..... essentially, Capcom was experimenting with the new "over the shoulder" concept, and so, they are needing to put more action, and see how the characters could do , having more freedom to run, having not fixed camera angle limitation, and have freedom to choose where to aim, regarding enemy parts target .... they opted for a action oritented game, in order to "test" new RE game mechanic functionality

• RE5, basically, was Capcom trying to bring back old characters, into the new gameplay concept, but, taking not too much risks : "what worked on RE4, we gonna use and improve a bit, in the new game" .... more or less what Capcom developers might have thought, on that time .... So, they tried expanding RE universe into a far and , theorically, hostile environment, in Africa, but, the lack of dark atmosphere , and having, constantly, Sheva as company, make this game the least "scary"from the main series .... in fact, the only moment, and a short one, that RE5 resembles, but, in a very tiny and weak way, a survival horror, is in 5-1, where you have some suspense before meeting the lickers horde in the elevator .... and , maybe just a very weak try, when you meet a Reaper first time ..... anyway, RE5 is good as action, but, very poor executed regarding horror ...... but still, is a game that bring some good aspects related to the RE story ..... some good details in the files, that you find out along the game.
The perfect combination, could be a 50/50 : half game , with survival horror perspective, and another half, more action oriented .... but, seems pretty hard , to develop both ideas together, and even more harder, make them work in the same game .... RE6 seems that will try something like that, in a lower level (I believe RE6 will be 30% survival horror, and 70%, action pace), giving Leon first part of the game, a more old school feeling, but, the rest of game, specially Chris and Jake stories, more action oriented ....

It's hard to please fans, and it's hard to work having pressure to make the franchise, profitable viable, so, developers have their level of worries to deal to.
In the end, we have to wait, and see, along the year, more videos, analysis, to see what RE6 will be (the final product version) ....... we have to be aware, that, some people enjoy much more the "extras" and mercenaries mode , that come along with the game, than, the story mode itself, so, the action aspect of the game, is pointing out to Capcom, what , supposedly, they (Capcom) , see as a major aspect to make these games to sell well ....

If they are right or wrong, time will tell .......... :D
You seem to have this all figured out my friend...Well said...

aintnoscrub

Premium
Not to sound like a douche, but your in no position to tell us to stop complaining and if you have a problem with this complaining than ignore it.

fact is that many people are fully aware of the direction the Resident Evil series is trying to take.

But that certainly does not mean that we should approve or stay silent to it all simply because "there is nothing we can do".

And we shouldn't have to "settle" for anything we do not like.

And I myself knew full well that they would not go back completely to the classic style of gameplay. But I atleast hoped that they would get back to SURVIVAL HORROR more than action. I don't care if this game plays like RE4 and RE5, what I care about is it actually being survival horror. They could make the Resident Evil series First person for all I care and I still would be ok with it as long as it added survival horror and classic elements back into the mix.

Now as I have said for the 100x time, the Resident Evil series should evolve, but not at the cost of its identity. All the fans are really asking for is for Resident Evil to get back to its "roots" and be scary again, and I do not find that unreasonable at all. Just make it scary, add dark scenery, add some zombies and challenging puzzles and I'm sure the fans will be pleased. You can still have your over the top action at certain parts of the game, just don't make it the "driving force" thats all.

That being said, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 6 or more specifically Leon's part of the game.
you shouldn't have to settle but let's be honest you will probably will, you'll still buy the game putting money in their pockets and play it like every body else.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
you shouldn't have to settle but let's be honest you will probably will, you'll still buy the game putting money in their pockets and play it like every body else.
uh....how do you know what I will do?

I said that I will buy RE6 true, but I refuse to buy any game I am not interested in.

The only real reason I am buying RE6 is because Leon is my favorite character and his part of the game actually looks good.

But if Capcom ever does go the 100% action oriented route than there is no way in hell I am supporting Capcom by buying their future RE games.

aintnoscrub

Premium
uh....how do you know what I will do?

I said that I will buy RE6 true, but I refuse to buy any game I am not interested in.

The only real reason I am buying RE6 is because Leon is my favorite character and his part of the game actually looks good.

But if Capcom ever does go the 100% action oriented route than there is no way in hell I am supporting Capcom by buying their games.
i should have made myself more clear, by "you" i meant the the group of fans that complains about RE but yeah you will get it anyway.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
i should have made myself more clear, by "you" i meant the the group of fans that complains about RE but yeah you will get it anyway.

Obviously you are not listening so I will make a example.

You will one day eat pig balls and fart rainbows.

See what I did there?

I made a snap judgment on you before even getting to know you.

Fact is you do not know me nor do you know what I will do.

Try to remember that before spewing such things.

Top Bottom