• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 It's Official, after RE6 Resi will be action all the way.

Redfield Fan 93

I Always come prepared.
I don't have the exact qoute but it goes along the lines of " Surival Horror games don't sell as well as their action counterparts, look at how many units Call of Duty sells, action games boost sales." well Capcom has basically said "we don't give two ****s about the franchise...we just want to make more money !!!" Vid Games will never be art if companys are selling the franchises soul to compete with a game that hasnt changed in the last 5 or more years, before you know it Brain training on the Nintendo DS will have Killstraks or something similair.

I fear this franchise is becoming a joke and not worth following it in the future, i wish it wasn't that way for me but it is.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/03/23/ign-daily-fix-032312

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Well that certainly is disheartening....

The only reason I got into the Resident Evil series was because of its surivial horror aspect and now that is going to be thrown away in order to make more money?

I think thats bull to just **** on the fans who supported the franchise all these years and made Capcom what it is today.

And Survival Horror games don't sell?

What the hell would you call Dead Space?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Guys, we can't jump to conclusions yet...The reason that RE changed in the first place is because games are always changing and evolving...Sure, they're more action oriented now, but it won't stay that way...We can't count out RE7, or any other RE games after six based on this ONE video of what ONE guy said...Capcom has been known to shaft its fans occasionally, but they wouldn't do us such an injustice...They wouldn't...Only time will tell what lies in store for RE, and video games in general...But we must be patient, and hope for the best...

...That speech is worth of a freaking Oscar or something...

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I agree with KK all the way we can't just spit on Wesker's grave before we even see the next game.
Let us be happy with what we have, and if next games from now on will be completely like RE4 then that's fine with me. capcom is doing this to get more people to like there games, (Sure I know they can be some real ignorant people) there are still a couple who were in it for the horror, but if your gonna abonden it cause its going from horror to action you would have done this a long time ago.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
So let me get this straight,

You guys are actually DEFENDING this?

Your actually trying to defend what capcom is doing by saying that?

They are basically throwing away what made the series relevant in the first place.

And like I said, Dead Space has shown us that survival horror CAN sell very well in todays market so the whole "survival horror doesn't sell anymore" argument is complete BS.

And I hear them trying to compare to COD's sells which is even dumber since Call of Duty is NOTHING like the Resident Evil series and never should be and vice versa. You should never lose your identity for the sake of "more" money and that is exactly where I see Resident Evil heading.

Resident Evil was never failing to begin with, even before RE4 the series was still doing good and making money. All this is really is Capcom wanting MORE money and it would appear that they are willing to do anything to get it, even if that means changing Resident Evil into something akin to COD.

I'm sorry, but no matter how you try to reason it, its never right to disrespect your fans who have been with you for all these years,

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
So let me get this straight,

You guys are actually DEFENDING this?

Your actually trying to defend what capcom is doing by saying that?

They are basically throwing away what made the series relevant in the first place.

And like I said, Dead Space has shown us that survival horror CAN sell very well in todays market so the whole "survival horror doesn't sell anymore" argument is complete BS.

And I hear them trying to compare to COD's sells which is even dumber since Call of Duty is NOTHING like the Resident Evil series and never should be and vice versa. You should never lose your identity for the sake of "more" money and that is exactly where I see Resident Evil heading.

Resident Evil was never failing to begin with, even before RE4 the series was still doing good and making money. All this is really is Capcom wanting MORE money and it would appear that they are willing to do anything to get it, even if that means changing Resident Evil into something akin to COD.

I'm sorry, but no matter how you try to reason it, its never right to disrespect your fans who have been with you for all these years,
Wow...Be a little more pessimistic...There is no PROOF that RE is going to change to all action...Sure, they're saying that now, but things ALWAYS change...And Capcom is FAMOUS for changing plans in the middle...People are jumping to conclusions about the future of RE WAY to soon...And it's not our place to do so..Hell, Capcom doesn't even know where the future of RE is headed...They may THINK they know, but at the end of the day they don't...Because things are going to change in some form or another like the ALWAYS do...If the series is dead to you then so be it, but don't say its dead because RE is DEFINITELY changing the games to ALL action ALL the time...Because we just don't know that for certain, and only a fool would say we do...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
ToCool74, I think you need to take it down a notch hun. I understand that you are passionate about this video game series and there's nothing wrong with that, but we also don't need to get this confrontational over someone else's opinion.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Wow...Be a little more pessimistic...

Wow.....Be a little more realistic here and stop being so naive.......

What I am saying is not unfounded or simple nonsense that I am spewing.

Its based off of what Capcom is doing and SAYING from their own mouths.

Now if you want to be optimistic than thats good for you, but don't try to push it on me because Capcom really is not giving me a reason to even be optimistic and hope for the best.

They have obviously been going the more "action oriented" route as of late with RE5,RE ORC, and now apparently RE6 will continue the trend. Not to mention that one of the execs even said that they should CONTINUE to do this in the future. And they are constantly comparing themselves the market that COD and keep on giving the impression that it wants to reach those level of sales and that type of audience. Even after ALL of that you expect for me to hope for the best?

Get real....

I will start hoping for the best when Capcom gives me a reason.

Is that me being to unreasonable?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Wow.....Be a little more realistic here and stop being so naive.......

What I am saying is not unfounded or simple nonsense that I am spewing.

Its based off of what Capcom is doing and SAYING from their own mouths.

Now if you want to be optimistic than thats good for you, but don't try to push it on me because Capcom really is not giving me a reason to even be optimistic and hope for the best.

They have obviously been going the more "action oriented" route as of late with RE5,RE ORC, and now apparently RE6 will continue the trend. Not to mention that one of the execs even said that they should CONTINUE to do this in the future. And they are constantly comparing themselves the market that COD and keep on giving the impression that it wants to reach those level of sails and that type of audience. Even after ALL of that you expect for me to hope for the best?

Get real....

I will start hoping for the best when Capcom gives me a reason.

Is that me being to unreasonable?
It kind of is...For one, you keep failing to acknowledge what I'm saying about video games ALWAYS changing...Constantly...Yes, Capcom may be saying this NOW, but what the FUTURE holds is unknown to us OR them...and by the time of RE7, or whatever RE game comes after RE6, action may not be the big thing...Hell, in the 90's when RE started platforming games were the big thing...That's changed, and so will this...So what Capcom says NOW will more than likely have no relevance in the future...Don't forget hoe long it takes to make a game after all...RE5 was a bit actiony, yes, but it wouldve had horror elements if TWO things were fixed...Having a partner the whole time, and the fact that it was always so bright...Without those RE5 would've been more horror oriented, much like the atomosphere of a lot of RE4...As for ORC, that was Slant Six with Capcom supervising, so you can't give Capcom much credit for the fact that that's an action game...If RE7 comes out and it's ALL action ALL the time...You can tell my "I told you so"...Hell, I'll welcome it because on the rare occasion I'm proven wrong it's kind of refreshing...But until then you don't know anything about the future for fact..And neither does Capcom, even if they claim to...

ToCool74

Veteran Member
It kind of is...For one, you keep failing to acknowledge what I'm saying about video games ALWAYS changing...Constantly...Yes, Capcom may be saying this NOW, but what the FUTURE holds is unknown to us OR them...and by the time of RE7, or whatever RE game comes after RE6, action may not be the big thing...Hell, in the 90's when RE started platforming games were the big thing...That's changed, and so will this...So what Capcom says NOW will more than likely have no relevance in the future...Don't forget hoe long it takes to make a game after all...RE5 was a bit actiony, yes, but it wouldve had horror elements if TWO things were fixed...Having a partner the whole time, and the fact that it was always so bright...Without those RE5 would've been more horror oriented, much like the atomosphere of a lot of RE4...As for ORC, that was Slant Six with Capcom supervising, so you can't give Capcom much credit for the fact that that's an action game...If RE7 comes out and it's ALL action ALL the time...You can tell my "I told you so"...Hell, I'll welcome it because on the rare occasion I'm proven wrong it's kind of refreshing...But until then you don't know anything about the future for fact..And neither does Capcom, even if they claim to...

I haven't failed to aknowledge that video games are ALWAYS changing.

But I NEVER agree with a video game changing so much that it forgets what made it relevant in the first place.

Like I said earlier, Dead Space has proven that you CAN have action inside a game and STILL keep it survival horror and that games is a pretty high seller in todays market which really does rub me the wrong way when Capcom are pretty much saying that those type of games do not sell well when they clearly do.

Can you give me a "logical" reason as to why Resident Evil could not have evolved into something similar to Dead Space and still kept its core "survival horror" aspect alive?

There is not 'logical" reason other than Capcom simply wanted more money and to reach a bigger "action oriented COD" type of audience.

I've said this in other threads before but apparently you missed them so I will say it again,

The Resident Evil series SHOULD evolve and experiment with new ideas, but It should not evolve at the cost of losing its identity and what made it what it is today.

And as I said before, when Capcom gives me a reason to have trust in them than I will be more than happy to be optimistic and hopeful like you.

But given their track record with

1.DmC reboot
2.Mega man Legends 3 being cancelled
3.becoming part of the DLC problem in the video industry today

I just can't bring myself to your type of thinking and I don't think its unreasonable given their actions as of late.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I haven't failed to aknowledge that video games are ALWAYS changing.

But I NEVER agree with a video game changing so much that it forgets what made it relevant in the first place.

Like I said earlier, Dead Space has proven that you CAN have action inside a game and STILL keep it survival horror and that games is a pretty high seller in todays market which really does rub me the wrong way when Capcom are pretty much saying that those type of games do not sell well when they clearly do.

Can you give me a "logical" reason as to why Resident Evil could not have evolved into something similar to Dead Space and still kept its core "survival horror" aspect alive?

There is not 'logical" reason other than Capcom simply wanted more money and to reach a bigger "action oriented COD" type of audience.

I've said this in other threads before but apparently you missed them so I will say it again,

The Resident Evil series SHOULD evolve and experiment with new ideas, but It should not evolve at the cost of losing its identity and what made it what it is today.

And as I said before, when Capcom gives me a reason to have trust in them than I will be more than happy to be optimistic and hopeful like you.

But given their track record with

1.DmC reboot
2.Mega man Legends 3 being cancelled
3.becoming part of the DLC problem in the video industry today

I just can't bring myself to your type of thinking and I don't think its unreasonable given their actions as of late.
They never said "Survival horror" couldn't sell, they said it didn't sell like CoD does...And that's true...If a Dead Space 3 came out then it wouldn't sell as well as the first two most likely...It's not the cool new thing anymore...And can you even name a next gen system game that's survival horror...Obscure: The Aftermath and Silent Hill are the only other survival horror games i can even think of on next gen systems besides Dead Space and they both had mediocre sales and were nothing like Dead Space...Frankly, RE shouldn't copy CoD, I agree with that, but we don't have proof that it will...That's all I'm saying...And people keep bring up the DmC reboot...You can't judge it, because it's not out yet...On top of that, it's non-cannon with the other DMC games, so it's not exactly ruining those either...Mega Man Legends 3...I'll give you that one...Part of the DLC issue...Hey, everybody makes mistakes, but that will get cleared up eventually, but only with support from those still willing to be loyal gamers...Everything is forgivable so long as the person (Capcom) who committed the crime is willing to change and become better..Capcom will do that or they're gonna risk loosing money...Anyone who doesn't act in their own self interest is a fool...Capcom understands that, and though right now they don't realize our interest IS their interest they will loose money, but once they realize that, which they will, they'll get back on track with creating games we know and love...

ToCool74

Veteran Member
.If a Dead Space 3 came out then it wouldn't sell as well as the first two most likely..

.Everything is forgivable so long as the person (Capcom) who committed the crime is willing to change and become better..

How do you know Dead Space 3 would not sell as well?

Like you keep telling me, you do not know the future.

And given Dead Space's recent track record and how pleased the fans are, there is not reason to assume that they would not continue to be good sellers.

And the whol DmC thing has been beaten to a horse to death over on the DMC forums so I don't feel like getting to much into it right now, but one of the main problems I have with it and what Capcom did is that instead of continuing the story of one of my Favorite series and correcting some of the "plotholes" that the story created, the instead decided to ignore it and make it reboot. Only time will tell if they actually do go back to the original canon, but given what they said in another interview, The future of DMC depends on how well DmC sales which really is a obscure type of answer since it could mean that they will continue the original series if it doesn't sell well or cancel the whole series if it does not.

And the thing about everything being forgivable is true.

But the thing is, Capcom isn't given the feel that they WANT to change.

They are doing the same thing over and over despite the fans complaints.

Its like with this interview, fans have been begging for Capcom to get back to the survival horror with the Resident Evil series, and what do they tell us? They tell is that the survival horror series does not sell well in todays market. No they did not say it does not sell as much as COD they said flat out that IT DOES NOT SELL.
http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4680414?tstart=0

Which as I said before, is BS when you look at what Dead Space sells.

Its just that it does not sell as much as Call of Duty and Capcom wants to be on that level.

Nothing wrong with them wanting to reach that level, but they should do it with another series instead of Resident Evil if they want to reach out to that type of market.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I kind of feel like a lot of people may be over thinking the quote... I mean I seriously doubt that CAPCOM is going to put out a Resident Evil game that is as action based as a series like Call of Duty. I do, however, think that they plan on sticking with RE5's level of action which may be bad news for most of you.

To be frank, the action direction was a long time coming for the series, especially after playing through RE3 for the first time a couple years ago. After playing that game it all made sense that that's how we "jumped" to RE4's style. Hell I would argue that RE4 is just as 'creepy' as RE3 from what I remember of the two. Let's also not forget Jill's beloved, skimpy outfit that made her appear like a cliche action-heroine.

I do think, based off of the RE6 trailer (as well as the videos I've seen of Revelations), that CAPCOM is working on finding that balance of dark/horror environments and firepower with at least the next main game. RE6 looks like it could be as scary as Dead Space (which Dead Space is a pretty action heavy game as well). If they play their cards right it just might be as scary; it does have a darker look going on as well as some interesting looking enemies and zombies.

That all being said, I don't really see myself playing this series much longer especially with the plans of a reboot being on the horizon and using all new characters. It's going to be recycled material and it's definitely a way for them to milk more money out of this series rather than actually writing a great finale to the main series.

Plus the older characters, especially from the original/remake, are what make Resident Evil for me. Once they're finished with using characters like Chris, I'm finished with the series.

I don't doubt that some of you probably think that I can't be a "true" fan if something like that would make me stop playing an entire series but hey, the characters are/were what separated this series from most other zombie/survival horror games. Not to mention I grew up with these characters so they're naturally going to hold that special place over most or all new characters. I can't imagine CAPCOM ever writing a more interesting rivalry than Wesker and Chris' either.

Night@ookami

The Hunting Deity
No matter what RE will be RE, Capcom (as a company) will be a money thirsty homo, and we will be us...the gamers who buy the product. My point is no matter what you can't change the original definition of the game comepletely. RE:5 had some scary survival elements (prob the first play through) wheather it was being trapped by wood spikes/uroboros, not enough space to move, etc. imo as long as their is something good in RE i'd buy it.
Vid Games will never be art if companys are selling the franchises soul to compete with a game that hasnt changed in the last 5 or more years, before you know it Brain training on the Nintendo DS will have Killstraks or something similair.

In response to this...

Game: Whats 5x5?!
ME:23?
Game: LEVEL UP!, you unlocked ALGEBRA CALCULATIONS Pro lvl2, RADICALS!! from last years test, And EXPONENTS lvl 3
Game: plus CALCULIS lvl 5
ME: ok?
guy from brain age who oddly makes no sound: use those exponents soldier!
;_; its true....i dont know exponenents

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
This goes to show just like all-mighty Kevin says (Or Gretzky). Nobody knows where the pucks going they just know where it is. Why take the risk of making a game completely off the charts original with no real projection of cashflow....when you can take this cookie cutter model, bake it at 400 degrees and boom...money in your pocket. I dont blame Capcom most companies in the industry are money happy, actually most companies period are so hell-bent on end of day profit they cant see the forest from the trees. The dream of ingenuity is becoming less interesting to companies because they can't see any immediate cash flow from it. Which is sad to me. Because at the end of the day when you look at the games you've created over the years and take a step back....all you have at the end is little dispensable peices of paper with monetary value attributed to them. You havent' changed anything. Theres no 'art' involved.

I think if you want a franchise to stay true to heart....look for the indy companies, or the ones taking the effort to sell a game not a cardboard cutout. I'll still get RE6 it'll probably be fun to play like RE5 was, but resident evil will always be at the mercy of money before art.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Dude chill down a bit like I said we cant spit on Wesker's grave before we even see the next game. do you really think that there ain't gonna be a couple scares like resident evil 4, and if there is not any resi will still be good they proved that in resi 5.

Night@ookami

The Hunting Deity
I disagree.

so if Resident Evil became a game where you played as a Space Pirate who had to take on radioactive biohazard bunnies trapped in a planetary amusement park it still would be Resident Evil?

If it has the same stuff people liked in the original RE then kinda, but if capcom put the name Resident Evil 46 on the cover....I guess so

ToCool74

Veteran Member
If it has the same stuff people liked in the original RE then kinda, but if capcom put the name Resident Evil 46 on the cover....I guess so

Well to each his own I suppose,

But If Resident Evil ever change in such a drastic state as a explained above (not saying that it would) than I would be pretty shocked that anyone would consider that Resident Evil.

Just my opinion...

Top Bottom