• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 It's Official, after RE6 Resi will be action all the way.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I should be getting mine soon, The thing about ORC that i dont understand is that its blatantly labeled a spin-off. I dont understand how anyone could out-right hate the game, unless they're bit**ing about mechanics and things involved with the actual game itself. Even then its probably not worth the defamation its getting. I think it has alot to do with the bile everyone has with the way the series is headed and did go, and just taking out on ORC. Who doesnt want to go back to a reworked 3d raccoon city?

I'm not completely angry at Capcom though, just frustrated. This isn't the way i raised them to be!
I understand completely, and frankly, I had heard that the game tends to freeze up now and again...Well I logged in several hours over the passed few days and that didn't happen ONCE...Oh, and I haven't got my copy yet either, A friend of mine bought it while I crashed at his place...

hogwartskid7

Ex-Umbrella Scientist
I understand my friend...I know you're not bitching at me...And people have the right to be upset with Capcom...I'm not, because I don't think they've done any worse than any other company out there...But if people wanna be I suppose that's their own personal delimma...It's just like people b*tching about ORC...I finally played and beat it, and it's a TRUE RE game even though it was action...It had a MASTERFULLY crafted Raccoon City, with little bits we all recognized like the Police Station, the clocktower, Kendo's Gun Shop, and the underground labs, brilliant new versions of zombies and crimson heads...I think the Hunters were a little over the top, but DAMN they were challenging...Nemesis looked GREAT, and the returning characters stayed true to themselves...Any true RE fan should be able to appreciate ORC, but it still gets hate...I guess if the people wanna hate on it, it's their own choice...
Totally agree with you about ORC. I mean, when they roar you get knocked down? Dafuq? At least we did have familiar elements in this game.

theinternat

Queen Internet
RE6 is a huge game with a massive budget. it's true, if they want to make half of what they spent creating it back - they have to give it more widespread appeal. action games and zombies are in right now. as i've said, i work in a video game store so i witness first hand what sells and what doesn't. it's not that traditional surv horror doesn't sell at all, it just doesn't sell AS well. you can tell that capcom really emptied the bank with RE6, and they want more than just us old skool fans playing it.

Gaming has changed so much so fast. What's happened with Survival Horror is kind-of like what happened to RPGs. Japanese RPGs used to be the rage, now we're lucky if we see a half-decent one come out for anything other than DS. Western RPGs like Skyrim and Mass Effect have stolen the throne. in fact, western gaming in general has taken the world by a landslide. if you told me this would happen a decade ago i'd laugh at you - but it's true. and as sad as it is to say, i don't think Resident Evil would be half as popular as it is today if it weren't for the changes made in 4.

if you miss the traditional survival horror style, i say move on to other games. i don't mean to sound bitchy when i say that, it's just there are still games out there and being released that will cater to your tastes: Amnesia, Downpour, Deadly Premonition (lol) there's even a new fatal frame for 3DS in the works!

i truly believe RE6 is going to be a fan-effing-tastic game. resident evil is an amazing series, and i say if they wanna take Call of Duty on, POWER TO THEM! lol. They have my full support. :D

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
RE6 is a huge game with a massive budget. it's true, if they want to make half of what they spent creating it back - they have to give it more widespread appeal. action games and zombies are in right now. as i've said, i work in a video game store so i witness first hand what sells and what doesn't. it's not that traditional surv horror doesn't sell at all, it just doesn't sell AS well. you can tell that capcom really emptied the bank with RE6, and they want more than just us old skool fans playing it.

Gaming has changed so much so fast. What's happened with Survival Horror is kind-of like what happened to RPGs. Japanese RPGs used to be the rage, now we're lucky if we see a half-decent one come out for anything other than DS. Western RPGs like Skyrim and Mass Effect have stolen the throne. in fact, western gaming in general has taken the world by a landslide. if you told me this would happen a decade ago i'd laugh at you - but it's true. and as sad as it is to say, i don't think Resident Evil would be half as popular as it is today if it weren't for the changes made in 4.

if you miss the traditional survival horror style, i say move on to other games. i don't mean to sound bitchy when i say that, it's just there are still games out there and being released that will cater to your tastes: Amnesia, Downpour, Deadly Premonition (lol) there's even a new fatal frame for 3DS in the works!

i truly believe RE6 is going to be a fan-effing-tastic game. resident evil is an amazing series, and i say if they wanna take Call of Duty on, POWER TO THEM! lol. They have my full support. :D
...Marry Me...

i don't think Resident Evil would be half as popular as it is today if it weren't for the changes made in 4.
Now this part I can agree with. There is no reason RE should have kept the same exact layout for all of its days. I have a feeling that many of the fans saying they want the old style back most likely would have abandoned it by this day for not being inovative enough. Can you imagine if Sonic and Mario kept the same formula for their original games?

I also don't get why some fans say the fixed camera is what made it scary. Sorry, but I can't rely on one detail to keep the game scary there are many other ways to make a game scary.

The traditional REs obviously still hold a place in my heart, which is why I still play them constantly. And im not trying to sound contradicting to what I said ealier in this thread. I just want RE to stay horror with a healthy blend of action. (Which is why the RE6 trailer looks so good.) The story is no longer what I want it to be, but I will see how part 6 will play out.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Oh my gosh I wish some one would close this.
Look for me capcom has shone from 4, 5, and ORC that an action game is good and if EVERYONE else is not gonna agree with me then after that game they will go back to horror so please be quite on this subject

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Just went over to Capcom unity to see what the discussion was over there regarding this, and of course, the staff over there are defending the hell out of this new change.

Here is a post from one of them

"Well you say they've lost tons of fans, yet it seems like each Resident Evil game sells better than the last, sooooooooo....can you really blame them for going with the stuff that works better? Also, ORC isn't a canon game, nor was it developed by the regular teams. As for survival horror, these days, it really has fallen into a rut. Even Silent Hill games have been doing significantly worse since Silent Hill 3.
Resident Evil is focused more on action these days, and part of that is based on critics. You can say the older RE games are the roots, but people will play them now and complain about a lot of stuff (inability to aim your shots, tank controls, save limits, etc.), and this affects their products. Capcom wants to make a game that does well financially and critically, especially when so much money goes into this series (RE6 is considered to be one of Capcom's biggest projects, if not THE biggest).

You say Capcom is becoming a follower, though the COD crowd is still very different (to the point where I would say the average Call of Duty player isn't really a gamer). At least RE players play the games for the stories and the gameplay, and the overall experience. Over half of Call of Duty players don't even touch the single player campaign.
"

These guys just disgust me honestly....

They are perfectly willing to isolate its fanbase in favor of a larger more generic/casual fanbase such as Call of Duty.
I've not personally played the latest games, but I've read and watched enough to say I'm skeptical to the direction the series is heading. But I must say I think that statement from their staff sounds reasonable, really. But I'm a sucker....

Oh my gosh I wish some one would close this.
Look for me capcom has shone from 4, 5, and ORC that an action game is good and if EVERYONE else is not gonna agree with me then after that game they will go back to horror so please be quite on this subject
Hun, if you have the authority to tell anyone to be quiet you are also able to close the thread yourself. -_-

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I've not personally played the latest games, but I've read and watched enough to say I'm skeptical to the direction the series is heading. But I must say I think that statement from their staff sounds reasonable, really. But I'm a sucker....

Yea it does sound reasonable...

But I just do not like it at all.

Sure they can TRY to be "reasonable" and "logical" about the situation but that is not what a lot their longtime fans want. From a "logical" standpoint I'm pretty sure they could attract a even BIGGER audience if they set Resident Evil during World War 2 and completely did away with zombies,storyline,and any bit of horror left in the series and simply just made it a online shootem up for all the casual fans out there.

But would that make it right?

At least I don't think so.

A series should never change at the cost of its identity and what made it relevant in the first place. It should indeed EVOLVE and try to incorporate new things to keep fans interested and bring in new fans but I honestly believe that Capcom is more inclined to just CHANGE rather than EVOLVE the series.

I got in to this series mainly because of the survival horror,difficulty,dark scenery,zombies and puzzles. Like I said earlier, I can live without the fixed camera and instead have the over the shoulder perspective that was used in RE4 and RE5. Hell, I can even live with a bit of "action" in a Resident Evil game as well since Resident Evil 3 and Code Veronica had some action oriented moments in it as well, I just do not want Capcom to overdue it and put more emphasis on the action>horror which IMO is what they are attempting to do in the future.

Now if some of you guys really love the action oriented side of Resident Evil and want it to continue in that direction than yay! for you. But I'm against the series I love losing its identity in the future. Not saying its going to happen with RE6, but judging by Capcom's actions and their words as of late, I'm severely skeptical about where the series will be heading as a whole in the future...

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.

Hun, if you have the authority to tell anyone to be quiet you are also able to close the thread yourself. -_-
Sorry if I seem pushy sometimes it just seems to be so much arguing and I'm getting weary of seeing this in my alerts so I apolagize

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
if you miss the traditional survival horror style, i say move on to other games.
The other games dont have Resident Evil attached to their name. More-over it should be the series that spawned the style to take it back. The game franchise is kinda like Harrison Fords career right now.

i agree with tocool. The act of seeing what sells and putting more chicken fat into juicy great american burger ruins the taste. Its not even about fixed camera angles, Resident evil popularized every nuance to the survival horror pallette which seems to be taking a back seat, so more money can be thrown at the game. If they really want to evolve the series, make a game we've never thought possible. Dont put chicken fat in my game

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
But Capcom is not doing away with the identity entirely...You guys make it sound like you know for fact that RE is gonna suck from here on out...That just isn't true...It's POSSIBLE, but not FACT...

ToCool74

Veteran Member
But Capcom is not doing away with the identity entirely...You guys make it sound like you know for fact that RE is gonna suck from here on out...That just isn't true...It's POSSIBLE, but not FACT...

Who said they know it for a fact?

Never did I give the impression that I know for a FACT nor do I think anyone else gave that impression.

its just that their actions and words speak for themselves and thus it causes us to draw to that conclusion.

Nothing is set in stone, but that is no reason for us not to speculate about the future.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Im just going off trend theory. RE4 and 5 were good in their own rights, but i'll just be dissappointed if they keep going action first story later. I haven't completely given up on it though. I think thats what the majority of us believe. From 4 to 5 the story kinda started to sway to make room for gameplay. I think thats the issue here.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Who said they know it for a fact?

Never did I give the impression that I know for a FACT nor do I think anyone else gave that impression.

its just that their actions and words speak for themselves and thus it causes us to draw to that conclusion.

Nothing is set in stone, but that is no reason for us not to speculate about the future.
You're completely right, it's a ok to speculate on the future...I'm dogging that, cause I'm speculating just as much as anyone else...However, people being passionate about the series is one thing...Stating that it IS loosing its identity (Which would be stating it like a fact, and people on here have said something in similar fashion) is wrong...I don't mean morally or anything like that, but I mean indisputably incorrect, for we do not know if RE has lost its identity yet...I'm not naming people specifically, and I'm not trying to be harsh or high and mighty...If it's coming across that way my apologies, however, it is too early on to know for fact if RE has lost its identity or not...That's all I'm saying...

Im just going off trend theory. RE4 and 5 were good in their own rights, but i'll just be dissappointed if they keep going action first story later. I haven't completely given up on it though. I think thats what the majority of us believe. From 4 to 5 the story kinda started to sway to make room for gameplay. I think thats the issue here.
I both agree and disagree with this statement...I do agree that that 4 and 5 were focused more on gameplay than any others by FAR...I, however, don't believe they sacrificed the story one bit...They sacrificed horror (Particularly in RE5), but horror wasn't the story...RE5 arguably had one of the best stories in the series as far as main games goes...RE4 I thought had a weak story, until I played the Separate Ways section, and realized how much it all really tied in together...I love the new gameplay in MOST respects, and think it can also be easily adapted to make it more horror oriented again without sacrificing the story in anyway...Just like it did with RE4 and 5...

Merged.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
...Stating that it IS loosing its identity (Which would be stating it like a fact, and people on here have said something in similar fashion) is wrong..

No its not wrong.

Because its THEIR OPINION.

If they think that it is losing its Identity than they are entitled to that opinion. I haven't seen one person say that as if it was a universal fact or anything like that.

It boils down to a matter of preference really.

You still see enough Resident Evil in the latest action oriented titles to dictate that it is indeed going in a good direction by continuing the more "action oriented" style that has been introduced. You apparently see enough Resident Evil in it to say that it IS still a true Resident Evil title at heart. But me on the other hand, I just do not agree with that, I do not want them to continue down the action oriented route which is what they have SAID they want to do. Its not me making baseless assumptions out of nothing, their actions and words prove their intentions. sure their outlook could change in the future, but we are in the PRESENT day and time and thus we are only left to speculate with what they have given us "currently" and "currently" I do not like where the series is heading.

Its not me stating that as a FACT but me merely giving my OPINION on where I think the series may be heading as a whole.

Top Bottom