• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 It's Official, after RE6 Resi will be action all the way.

Just went over to Capcom unity to see what the discussion was over there regarding this, and of course, the staff over there are defending the hell out of this new change.

Here is a post from one of them

"Well you say they've lost tons of fans, yet it seems like each Resident Evil game sells better than the last, sooooooooo....can you really blame them for going with the stuff that works better? Also, ORC isn't a canon game, nor was it developed by the regular teams. As for survival horror, these days, it really has fallen into a rut. Even Silent Hill games have been doing significantly worse since Silent Hill 3.
Resident Evil is focused more on action these days, and part of that is based on critics. You can say the older RE games are the roots, but people will play them now and complain about a lot of stuff (inability to aim your shots, tank controls, save limits, etc.), and this affects their products. Capcom wants to make a game that does well financially and critically, especially when so much money goes into this series (RE6 is considered to be one of Capcom's biggest projects, if not THE biggest).

You say Capcom is becoming a follower, though the COD crowd is still very different (to the point where I would say the average Call of Duty player isn't really a gamer). At least RE players play the games for the stories and the gameplay, and the overall experience. Over half of Call of Duty players don't even touch the single player campaign.
"

These guys just disgust me honestly....

They are perfectly willing to isolate its fanbase in favor of a larger more generic/casual fanbase such as Call of Duty.
Did that person say critics? CRITICS??! They seriously give a crap about what some paid critics thinks about a game he/she probably has no idea about??? "Professional" critics are a joke. Do they even buy the products?

Yes I can blame them for the going with the stuff that works better because that STUFF was not of their own creativity and originality which is one of the main things people are ****ed off about in the first place.

And I don't know for sure, but I heard the reason that SH wasn't doing so well was because they too changed their style. The people that complain about the old RE games are usually the causual fans that never liked the old REs to begin with.

Everyone wants to do well finacially and critically but personally, if I became a singer or a movie star, I would not want to be known as that star/singer that got famous off of remade and remixed songs and copying off of Katy Parry, Nicky Minaj, and whoever else was popular. Not if I wanted to keep my dignity of individuality.

Silverback

Moving Mountains
Did that person say critics? CRITICS??! They seriously give a crap about what some paid critics thinks about a game he/she probably has no idea about??? "Professional" critics are a joke. Do they even buy the products?

Yes I can blame them for the going with the stuff that works better because that STUFF was not of their own creativity and originality which is one of the main things people are ****ed off about in the first place.

And I don't know for sure, but I heard the reason that SH wasn't doing so well was because they too changed their style. The people that complain about the old RE games are usually the causual fans that never liked the old REs to begin with.

Everyone wants to do well finacially and critically but personally, if I became a singer or a movie star, I would not want to be known as that star/singer that got famous off of remade and remixed songs and copying off of Katy Parry, Nicky Minaj, and whoever else was popular. Not if I wanted to keep my dignity of individuality.
A-freaking-MEN.

It's like the people who hopped onto the Resident Evil bandwagon with RE4 don't have any individuality. They all mimic each other and cling to whatever happens to be popular at that given time.

Guess we didn't realize how well we had it back in the days of the original Resident Evil...

hogwartskid7

Ex-Umbrella Scientist
A-freaking-MEN.

It's like the people who hopped onto the Resident Evil bandwagon with RE4 don't have any individuality. They all mimic each other and cling to whatever happens to be popular at that given time.

Guess we didn't realize how well we had it back in the days of the original Resident Evil...
I hope no one thinks I'm a fan boy. I've been playing since I was around 2-3 years old. I'm 15 now. I love the old style of Resident Evil more than the new one. But I do like the over-the-shoulder camera view. That would be cool with zombies and the original horror. I didn't jump on the bandwagon at 4. I just hate how CAPCOM is backstabbing their loyalties.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I hope no one thinks I'm a fan boy. I've been playing since I was around 2-3 years old. I'm 15 now. I love the old style of Resident Evil more than the new one. But I do like the over-the-shoulder camera view. That would be cool with zombies and the original horror. I didn't jump on the bandwagon at 4. I just hate how CAPCOM is backstabbing their loyalties.

Yea,. I also like the over the should perspective that RE4 introduced.

I think it would be a GREAT idea to keep it but still bring back the classic elements such as zombies,puzzles,Dark creepy settings, and SURVIVAL HORROR.

There was a initial "similar" plan with early design for the chronicles games where it would feature the over the shoulder perspective but would feature classic enemies and settings. But that idea was scraped because once again Capcom wanted to appeal to the "casual gamer" and thought that people new to the series would have a easier time if it was "on the rails" instead of "over the shoulder".

One thing that really does come to mind when you think of how Capcom keeps drawing comparison to Call of Duty sales and how they want to reach that level, if they really want to reach that market and make those kinds of sells, WHY CAN'T THEY SIMPLY MAKE THEIR OWN FPS GAME??? Why try to change a established franchise like Resident Evil so much in order to reach that audience? It just does not add up...

hogwartskid7

Ex-Umbrella Scientist

I think it would be a GREAT idea to keep it but still bring back the classic elements such as zombies,puzzles,Dark creepy settings, and SURVIVAL HORROR.

There was a initial "similar" plan with early design for the chronicles games where it would feature the over the shoulder perspective but would feature classic enemies and settings. But that idea was scraped because once again Capcom wanted to appeal to the "casual gamer" and thought that people new to the series would have a easier time if it was "on the rails" instead of "over the shoulder".

One thing that really does come to mind when you think of how Capcom keeps drawing comparison to Call of Duty sales and how they want to reach that level, if they really want to reach that market and make those kinds of sells, WHY CAN'T THEY SIMPLY MAKE THEIR OWN FPS GAME??? Why try to change a established franchise like Resident Evil so much in order to reach that audience? It just does not add up...
It's not even just a game for me anymore. Resident Evil is part of my life. And that part is going to be ruined my Capcom's greediness. I hope they stay true to their fans. If not, well, I'm just gonna have to find a different series to call my favorite.

Reactions: 013

Because Resident Evil is already a top dog name and starting a new game would just take too much time to gain popularity therefore possibly fail to generate the cash they want. Or could it be that they know that if they made their own shooter that doesn't already have it's own hype people will see it for what it truly is? Just another shooter.

hogwartskid7

Ex-Umbrella Scientist
If they want an action game, make a separate Resident Evil series. Call it Resident Evil: Alice. Milla wanted to be in a Resident Evil game, so this is her chance. Plus, Capcom will get their action they wanted, plus keep their old fans by going back to horror.

No, they shouldn't call it Resident Evil at all. Milla doesn't need to be in the games. Were the movies not enough for her?
It's not even just a game for me anymore. Resident Evil is part of my life. And that part is going to be ruined my Capcom's greediness. I hope they stay true to their fans. If not, well, I'm just gonna have to find a different series to call my favorite.
Yes, Resident Evil is not just a game to me. It's one of the symbols of my childhood, something that brings me joy. It might seem petty or even pathetic to people that don't care or understand, but I have a passion for this francise.

hogwartskid7

Ex-Umbrella Scientist
No, they shouldn't call it Resident Evil at all. Milla doesn't need to be in the games. Were the movies not enough for her?

Yes, Resident Evil is not just a game to me. It's one of the symbols of my childhood, something that brings me joy. It might seem petty or even pathetic to people that don't care or understand, but I have a passion for this francise.
Yeah, but it's another options, rather than them messing up the whole series for their original fans. KAAIIG and I were talking about the movies, and he said they should just be called "Alice"

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
With all do respect KK, you keep saying wait and see what they have in store. Hun, i've been waiting to see what they have in store for years now. I waited to see what they had in store with RE5, was not happy with it. I waited to see what they had in store for the Chronicles. They released them as a FPS. I waited to see what they had in store for DMC4, was not happy with it. Waited to see what they had in store for the next one, and based off of my personal preference and standards for my DMC games, I'm 95% sure I will not like it and am already not happy with what they have done with it so far. ORC, don't find myself interested. Quite frankly, im tired of seeing what Capcom has in store, and aside from the RE6 trailer they have not given me much of a reason to have anymore faith in them.
I do keep saying wait so see what the future holds...Because until we try the REAL thing with our own hands we have no way of REALLY knowing if it will appeal to our individual tastes of what RE is...RE5 wasn't bad...Wasn't their best at all...Probably the worst in the main series...Buts wasn't bad at all..Chronicles are not just like any other FPS either...But I'm not going to go into it because it's a waste of my time...Dwelling on the past is a waste of time because past is past...The future is something to look forward to, but only judge when the future becomes the present...

Isn't that kinda how it's suppose to go? Everyone is a little bias every now in then because they have different believe systems and preferences. You see something you don't like you crutique it in hopes that someone acknowleges the fact that the majority has a problem with something. Nothing would ever get done if people just held their tongues. And it's not always a matter of not liking change, but how that change is done.
No, that's not how it's supposed to go when you have TRIED whatever you're judging with that bias...I prefer the original RE games...But maybe RE6 will change that..I doubt it...I really do, but I'm open to TRYING it...It's ok to be bias and critique something, like you said, but only if you can ACCURATELY critique it...At this point, we cannot...We cannot call it good, nor can we call it bad...All we can do is give it the chance it deserves...And it DOES deserve one...Wanna know why...
A. It's a Resident Evil game...The thing that brought us all together to this website in the first place...Not only is it a game, but part of our lives...Like so many others have said...It didn't just bring fun...But it brought ALL of us on here new friends to connect with, and share that way of life with...
B. Even though Capcom has screwed up in the past, one more chance is always deserved when they're willing to correct what they screwed up in the first place...It looks to me, and a lot of others agree, that Leon's story revolves much more around horror, as Chris' does with action...So both types of "fans" are getting their way...But that's, again, something we cannot say with certainty...
So to end this little bit, the reason we have bias so early on is because of a change...Everyone keeps talking about how RE has CHANGED...and THAT is where the bias starts...

So justify what a company does because he did it she did it? Not all companies are greedy and some are more greedy than others, somewhere you have to draw a line.
You're right...A line must be drawn...But who is to draw it? If we aren't willing to step up and draw that line then Capcom has every right to keep doing what they're doing...Because it's up to us as fans to draw that line...And facebook petitions and expressing our feelings on forum sites are not effective ways of drawing that line...only by banning together and doing something HUGE do we have a chance...If anyone has any suggestions...HELL YOU KNOW I'M IN!!!

Actually, I have heard MANY people complain about ipods releasing too many ipods, that's why most people I know don't even have one anymore. Not to mention in a site about RE an ipod is not usaully the first thing that pops into conversation. XD[/quote]
This...I'll leave alone because you're right, it's not the first thing to come to mind...I was just trying to use an everyday example...

When you don't like a product that you spent your hard earned money on, you form and opinion critique it, ask for a better one or improvements. The game industry is no different. I would imagine one does more injustice by buying a product they are not happy with. We're not psychic but you don't always have to know every detail to make a conclusion that something is seriously wrong. I don't understand why I should feel bad or feel like im stooping to their level by having a voice about something I feel that could be much better.
You're right...When you don't like a product you critique it...But we haven't tried the product to effectively for a like or dislike of it...For us to be unhappy with what RE6 is at this EXACT moment, like so many people are, is just as much an injustice as, for example, canceling Mega Man Legends 3...The difference between me and most other people on here, I'm willing to admit that we are part of the problem from a certain point of view...For a fanbase like ours to NOT take action against something like this...WE are part of the problem...They say the customer is always right..Well if that's the case then Capcom is TECHNICALLY correct in what they're doing because there are more customers for action/shooter games...I don't believe that way though...We don't know if it could be much better...We also don't know that something is seriously wrong...We are stooping to their level because just like they are accommodating action fans before RE veterans, we are casting aside RE without a further glance at would could end up being very appealing to us RE veterans...

So we're gonna be the bad guys because Capcom finally decided to listen to their fans? Because we said a few things about what a bad job they have been doing these past few years? I don't see how that adds up to us being the bad guys. (Not to mention some feel that Capcom had abandoned us long before we got the chance.)That's like someone sitting down smoking a cigerette on the job instead of mopping the floor and the boss ask him to clean up and he/she just keeps slacking off and then the boss fires them because of it. The next job that person goes to becomes the best employee in that place and does his/her job the best. Is the old boss the bad guy? No, that person was screwing up and got the results that was expected from such slack. If someone is doing something you think is wrong they need to be called out on it.
No...What I'm saying is we are the bad guys because some of us are going to throw away the series before RE6 is even released just because of the new look, when in all actuality, like I said before, it may end up being very appealing to us RE veterans...But our bias is what's just as bad...

You said we can't wait to think that RE6 will be COD with zombies, isn't that basically when ORC looks like with RE chracters? Those are some of the complaints coming from the fans anyway. Also the topic saids after RE6, I think and hope RE6 will be great.
ORC is invalid...It's not Capcom, it's Slant Six...So if fans are complaining about that, they're stupid...No offense, but they shouldn't have EXPECTED a NON-CANNON, game developed by a DIFFERENT published would be anything like the other RE's...
Nothing against you 013...Just my thoughts...

I do keep saying wait so see what the future holds...Because until we try the REAL thing with our own hands we have no way of REALLY knowing if it will appeal to our individual tastes of what RE is...RE5 wasn't bad...Wasn't their best at all...Probably the worst in the main series...Buts wasn't bad at all..Chronicles are not just like any other FPS either...But I'm not going to go into it because it's a waste of my time...Dwelling on the past is a waste of time because past is past...The future is something to look forward to, but only judge when the future becomes the present...

Based off what I already know, I'm well aware of what I like and don't like and what Capcom is most likely to do based off actions of the past. And yes, RE5 was not complete garbage, but why be fine with something that is merely ok when you felt they could have done much better. Heck I can walk into any Gamestop right now (Well not right now they're closed XD) and pick up any random game and it will probably be decent.

The past is sometimes relevant to bring up when we're talking about present issues and future possibilities. I stated those things of the past because I wanted to show that Capcom has not given me much faith on them based on past actions, as I have already stated.

No, that's not how it's supposed to go when you have TRIED whatever you're judging with that bias...I prefer the original RE games...But maybe RE6 will change that..I doubt it...I really do, but I'm open to TRYING it...It's ok to be bias and critique something, like you said, but only if you can ACCURATELY critique it...At this point, we cannot...We cannot call it good, nor can we call it bad...All we can do is give it the chance it deserves...And it DOES deserve one...Wanna know why...
A. It's a Resident Evil game...The thing that brought us all together to this website in the first place...Not only is it a game, but part of our lives...Like so many others have said...It didn't just bring fun...But it brought ALL of us on here new friends to connect with, and share that way of life with...
B. Even though Capcom has screwed up in the past, one more chance is always deserved when they're willing to correct what they screwed up in the first place...It looks to me, and a lot of others agree, that Leon's story revolves much more around horror, as Chris' does with action...So both types of "fans" are getting their way...But that's, again, something we cannot say with certainty...
So to end this little bit, the reason we have bias so early on is because of a change...Everyone keeps talking about how RE has CHANGED...and THAT is where the bias starts...

Based off of personal preference, many times people can determine whether they're going to like something or not. If they replaced Mc Donalds Big Mac with the BBQ pork sandwich and someone thinks pork is over-rated and doesn't even taste that good and BBQ sauce is nasty, I think they reserve the right to say they are not gonna like that sandwich. I know I've said to you before I saw the trailer of ORC and some gameplay footage. After watching that, I figured the game was just a shooter with RE characters. When the game came out, I gave it a chance through a let's play and it was exactly what I thought it was. So yeah I didn't play it, but I didn't start out playing RE games to know that they were great. I started out watching my brother. I watched ORC didn't like what I saw, so why should I spend my money on it?

I would be spending a heck of alot of money trying products I know I'm most likely not gonna like for the sake of being fair or giving something a chance when it already doesn't meet my standards of what it should be.

Last night I saw this infomercial of some super hover chair crap, they hyped it up and made it seem like it was the best product ever made and all it was, was a wheelchair with extra mobility and I could clearly see that. At the end of that 30 minute infomercial deducted that it was just another fancy wheelchair for old people. Nothing special.

I will only try something if I feel it is worth my time and/or money.

A. That is exactly one of the reasons why people are freakin' out. The game they have a passion may be possibly mutilated in the future to cater to a crowd that doesn't care for the francise itself. They're just looking for the next cool and popular game. And it takes more than just slapping the RE title on the game to get fans to like it.

B. I kinda already said this before. I gave them one more chance, and another, then another, and one more...Capcom has quite a few times to correct mistakes that a high number would agree with. Besides I wasn't talking about RE6 I was talking about future ones since it saids after RE6.

You're right...A line must be drawn...But who is to draw it? If we aren't willing to step up and draw that line then Capcom has every right to keep doing what they're doing...Because it's up to us as fans to draw that line...And facebook petitions and expressing our feelings on forum sites are not effective ways of drawing that line...only by banning together and doing something HUGE do we have a chance...If anyone has any suggestions...HELL YOU KNOW I'M IN!!!

Dude. That's what we've been trying to do. We see the game don't like it we don't buy it. The power is in are wallets and purses and occasionally our voices. That's what I'm doing with ORC it does not fit my standards of an Resident Evil game, old or new, canon or not. So I'm not buying it. I've been doing my part as a single fan.

On Capcom's community forums I hear they do infact have members that work for the company viewing what the fans are saying. Capcom knows what their fans think I'm almost certain, but as said earlier, they cater to the larger mass.

You're right...When you don't like a product you critique it...But we haven't tried the product to effectively for a like or dislike of it...For us to be unhappy with what RE6 is at this EXACT moment, like so many people are, is just as much an injustice as, for example, canceling Mega Man Legends 3...The difference between me and most other people on here, I'm willing to admit that we are part of the problem from a certain point of view...For a fanbase like ours to NOT take action against something like this...WE are part of the problem...They say the customer is always right..Well if that's the case then Capcom is TECHNICALLY correct in what they're doing because there are more customers for action/shooter games...I don't believe that way though...We don't know if it could be much better...We also don't know that something is seriously wrong...We are stooping to their level because just like they are accommodating action fans before RE veterans, we are casting aside RE without a further glance at would could end up being very appealing to us RE veterans...

I think there is some confusion going on here. I was not talking about RE6 that game looks sick. I'm talking about the future of RE games in general and how many other fans feel.

Ok, this example is gonna sound kinda crazy but just bare with me. If a ex-gang banger and rapist some how got into politics and he started running for present or something important like that, don't you think people would judge them based off of his past bad decisions and the way he has treated people in the past? Does someone who has constantly let you down deserve infinite chances?

The more we give Capcom chances and our money, the more they will think it's ok.

No...What I'm saying is we are the bad guys because some of us are going to throw away the series before RE6 is even released just because of the new look, when in all actuality, like I said before, it may end up being very appealing to us RE veterans...But our bias is what's just as bad...

What exactly are the Mega Man fans suppose to do? All they can do is voice their displeasure and make petitions. If they started burning stuff down or personally approaching Capcom's people that wouldn't be very good. It is up to the company to listen to what their fans want.

And we are not on Capcom's level because we are voicing are opinions on a game. RE fans are complaining because they DO care. Otherwise there would be no complaining. RE needs to have certain standards to keep it's identity, if fans feel like taking a certain route would destroy that, they need to step up and say something...I feel like we're going in a circle.

We are not THAT bias sometimes not at all and one is not bad for throwing away something they did not like. Hell, I've met RE fans that said they didn't play RE anymore because they didn't like the direction it took in 4. As much as I love 4 they have every right to shun a product they are not happy with.

ORC is invalid...It's not Capcom, it's Slant Six...So if fans are complaining about that, they're stupid...No offense, but they shouldn't have EXPECTED a NON-CANNON, game developed by a DIFFERENT published would be anything like the other RE's...
Nothing against you 013...Just my thoughts...

I don't care if ORC was made by Carrot Top. It holds the RE title and with it, it should hold it's identity. The name should not be thrown around and abused to the point where no one even knows what the hell RE is anymore. I guess I'm stupid for feeling that way. -_-

...o_O Did NOT mean to type a whole novel, that came out WAY longer than I expected...:oops:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Based off what I already know, I'm well aware of what I like and don't like and what Capcom is most likely to do based off actions of the past. And yes, RE5 was not complete garbage, but why be fine with something that is merely ok when you felt they could have done much better. Heck I can walk into any Gamestop right now (Well not right now they're closed XD) and pick up any random game and it will probably be decent.

The past is sometimes relevant to bring up when we're talking about present issues and future possibilities. I stated those things of the past because I wanted to show that Capcom has not given me much faith on them based on past actions, as I have already stated.
While I agree, that the past is relevant, we can't base everything solely on the past...But also the present and future...We are focusing on what Capcom has done wrong in the past, but I don't see very man people giving Capcom credit for the GOOD things they've done...Street Fighter IV...VERY good thing...And its later installments that extended it were also great...An HD update of RE4 and CVX was great too...Capcom has done quite a few good things, but by the views of the people, good is almost ALWAYS overshadowed by bad...

Based off of personal preference, many times people can determine whether they're going to like something or not. If they replaced Mc Donalds Big Mac with the BBQ pork sandwich and someone thinks pork is over-rated and doesn't even taste that good and BBQ sauce is nasty, I think they reserve the right to say they are not gonna like that sandwich. I know I've said to you before I saw the trailer of ORC and some gameplay footage. After watching that, I figured the game was just a shooter with RE characters. When the game came out, I gave it a chance through a let's play and it was exactly what I thought it was. So yeah I didn't play it, but I didn't start out playing RE games to know that they were great. I started out watching my brother. I watched ORC didn't like what I saw, so why should I spend my money on it?

I would be spending a heck of alot of money trying products I know I'm most likely not gonna like for the sake of being fair or giving something a chance when it already doesn't meet my standards of what it should be.

Last night I saw this infomercial of some super hover chair crap, they hyped it up and made it seem like it was the best product ever made and all it was, was a wheelchair with extra mobility and I could clearly see that. At the end of that 30 minute infomercial deducted that it was just another fancy wheelchair for old people. Nothing special.

I will only try something if I feel it is worth my time and/or money.

A. That is exactly one of the reasons why people are freakin' out. The game they have a passion may be possibly mutilated in the future to cater to a crowd that doesn't care for the francise itself. They're just looking for the next cool and popular game. And it takes more than just slapping the RE title on the game to get fans to like it.

B. I kinda already said this before. I gave them one more chance, and another, then another, and one more...Capcom has quite a few times to correct mistakes that a high number would agree with. Besides I wasn't talking about RE6 I was talking about future ones since it saids after RE6.
But trying a product you've ALWAYS bought and had faith in is different than trying something new for the first time...All Capcom is really doing is changing gameplay...That's where the biggest difference comes in...Nobody I know gives a care about the CoD story...It's all about killstreaks and online play...Capcom has NEVER screwed or taken away from RE's story...And six will remain that way and so will later installments...The reason I personally play RE is NOT because of game play (Though it's good on both the over the shoulder and the old school styles) but because I cannot find a SINGLE other video game series with story and characters as perfect and well developed after all these years than RE...Games that are HEAVILY story oriented, like RE, will NOT cater to run fast and blow em up gamers that play CoD...Because even if the gameplay is fast, the rest of the game will be slow by comparison...the story in the RE games always slowly unfolds...Most gamers today wouldn't even know a good storyline if it bit em on the ass...But we RE fans DO know the difference, and Capcom does as well...Even Street Fighter has a VERY in depth story, though all the game is is fight after fight...

Dude. That's what we've been trying to do. We see the game don't like it we don't buy it. The power is in are wallets and purses and occasionally our voices. That's what I'm doing with ORC it does not fit my standards of an Resident Evil game, old or new, canon or not. So I'm not buying it. I've been doing my part as a single fan.

On Capcom's community forums I hear they do infact have members that work for the company viewing what the fans are saying. Capcom knows what their fans think I'm almost certain, but as said earlier, they cater to the larger mass.
The power is not in OUR wallets as the true fans though...The power is in the wallets of the ones who will be buying it because they think it looks more like CoD...Even if no one on REN bought RE anymore because they were sick of how it met a fate similar to Raccoon City's, others would buy it to blow **** up and have never even HEARD of Raccoon City...It's a sad ordeal, but just not buying a game isn't good enough...We, as the fans, need to do something that's going to REALLY get their attention...Idk what, and if you wanna feel free to brainstorm with me be my guest...

I think there is some confusion going on here. I was not talking about RE6 that game looks sick. I'm talking about the future of RE games in general and how many other fans feel.

Ok, this example is gonna sound kinda crazy but just bare with me. If a ex-gang banger and rapist some how got into politics and he started running for present or something important like that, don't you think people would judge them based off of his past bad decisions and the way he has treated people in the past? Does someone who has constantly let you down deserve infinite chances?

The more we give Capcom chances and our money, the more they will think it's ok.
I know that YOU'RE not saying this about RE6, but others are...You're just making some very good points, and those are the ones catching my attention to reply to...Anyway, no, I don't think it's ok to keep giving them chances...I think, as I've said before, we should stand up and do something...RE is Capcom's biggest selling series...And theres a reason for that...If they poison it just cause they want it to become the greatest selling series OF ALL TIME then we the fans will be like RE6 and show that All Hope's Lost...But it doesn't have to be if we give the the chance to CORRECT mistakes...I'm not sure, but RE6 LOOKS like it will correct the mistakes that were made in RE5..

What exactly are the Mega Man fans suppose to do? All they can do is voice their displeasure and make petitions. If they started burning stuff down or personally approaching Capcom's people that wouldn't be very good. It is up to the company to listen to what their fans want.

And we are not on Capcom's level because we are voicing are opinions on a game. RE fans are complaining because they DO care. Otherwise there would be no complaining. RE needs to have certain standards to keep it's identity, if fans feel like taking a certain route would destroy that, they need to step up and say something...I feel like we're going in a circle.

We are not THAT bias sometimes not at all and one is not bad for throwing away something they did not like. Hell, I've met RE fans that said they didn't play RE anymore because they didn't like the direction it took in 4. As much as I love 4 they have every right to shun a product they are not happy with.
Most people are Voicing their opinions in singularity...While petitions have strength in numbers, but no REAL emotional value to them...We need something that has both...Just like (And I know that this is kind of a lame or cheesy example but) the Declaration of Independence...RE is keeping its identity if the characters stay relatable, the story stays exceptionally well written, and has an edge (at least) of horror...Capcom has done this with ALL RE's in the past, and I'm sure they will continue to do it, but we have to try to make sure they do...And as for those who quit playing after RE4...That's A ok, because they tried it and didn't like it, rather than just seeing trailers and giving up on it...

I don't care if ORC was made by Carrot Top. It holds the RE title and with it, it should hold it's identity. The name should not be thrown around and abused to the point where no one even knows what the hell RE is anymore. I guess I'm stupid for feeling that way. -_-
You're not stupid for feeling that way...But horror isn't what defined RE, or what gave it it's identity...What did that was the story, the characters, and in the beginning, the cheesy acting of the time (Which House of the Dead also had, so it HAD to be a zombie thing lol)...It is more action oriented, but it added fun new characters, and throw backs to the old game that made us veterans reminisce...

While I agree, that the past is relevant, we can't base everything solely on the past...But also the present and future...We are focusing on what Capcom has done wrong in the past, but I don't see very man people giving Capcom credit for the GOOD things they've done...Street Fighter IV...VERY good thing...And its later installments that extended it were also great...An HD update of RE4 and CVX was great too...Capcom has done quite a few good things, but by the views of the people, good is almost ALWAYS overshadowed by bad...

Sometimes when one screws up alot it takes alot to win someones trust back so not every fan is gonna be back on board when Capcom does one thing right, because lately most of the stuff they have been doing is crap. Capcom overshadows itself. I give them credit when it is do, as I have praised RE6's trailer, but they are gonna have to do alot more than put a a decent trailer to get my love back completely. If we didn't acknowledge the good Capcom has done in the past we would not even be on this forum.

Putting out the same game that most of us already have is a good thing? I have RE4 and Code Veronica, I don't need to buy it again it's sparkaly enough on my TV screen. Honestly I just see that as another failed move on their part.
...All Capcom is really doing is changing gameplay...That's where the biggest difference comes in...Nobody I know gives a care about the CoD story...It's all about killstreaks and online play...Capcom has NEVER screwed or taken away from RE's story...
...Many would beg to differ, and gameplay isn't number one on my list but it certainly is important for a game afterall. Even if the story is incredible, if I feel like im playing a game that doesn't even feel like the theme of RE it really kills my mood and motivation to play. After I beat RE5 and unlocked Wesker in mercs, I found myself mainly just watching the cutscenes.
The power is not in OUR wallets as the true fans though...The power is in the wallets of the ones who will be buying it because they think it looks more like CoD...Even if no one on REN bought RE anymore because they were sick of how it met a fate similar to Raccoon City's, others would buy it to blow **** up and have never even HEARD of Raccoon City...It's a sad ordeal, but just not buying a game isn't good enough...We, as the fans, need to do something that's going to REALLY get their attention...Idk what, and if you wanna feel free to brainstorm with me be my guest...

So you're saying if every RE fans got up and said F this and didn't buy another RE game, there wouldn't be a noticable dent in the sales? Dude, every sale counts.

...If they poison it just cause they want it to become the greatest selling series OF ALL TIME then we the fans will be like RE6 and show that All Hope's Lost...But it doesn't have to be if we give the the chance to CORRECT mistakes...I'm not sure, but RE6 LOOKS like it will correct the mistakes that were made in RE5..

...I think i'm confused a bit by this...Soooo if we buy the game that is how we correct the mistakes? But if we don't buy the game the mistakes will be there, yet we don't hold power in our purses? And our opinions and letters sent to Capcom and posted on their community forums will do nothing? Just keep buying their games...? You got me on this one.

While petitions have strength in numbers, but no REAL emotional value to them..

How can you say they have no emotional value? Have you even seen some of the post regarding people's passion for a changed game? I can practically feel the energy radiating off of some of the post I read.

But horror isn't what defined RE, or what gave it it's identity...What did that was the story, the characters, and in the beginning, the cheesy acting of the time

Horror isn't what defined the game that basically made the survival horror genre in video games? Im sorry, but horror is RE's genre and with it a big chunk of its identity. Yes the characters are important and the story, but the theme of a game should infact be considered a big and important part of its whole. I don't mind the action, just don't sacrafice the horror for a dominant action element.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Sometimes when one screws up alot it takes alot to win someones trust back so not every fan is gonna be back on board when Capcom does one thing right, because lately most of the stuff they have been doing is crap. Capcom overshadows itself. I give them credit when it is do, as I have praised RE6's trailer, but they are gonna have to do alot more than put a a decent trailer to get my love back completely. If we didn't acknowledge the good Capcom has done in the past we would not even be on this forum.

Putting out the same game that most of us already have is a good thing? I have RE4 and Code Veronica, I don't need to buy it again it's sparkaly enough on my TV screen. Honestly I just see that as another failed move on their part.
But a lot of people don't actually have CVX...Actually, of all my friends into RE I'm the only one that does...And I had the original CV AND CVX...It's pretty hard to find form what I hear, so a digital copy of it is good...As for RE4, the HD version is based of the Wii edition, which has better graphics and more extras then the PS2 or Gamecube editions...

...Many would beg to differ, and gameplay isn't number one on my list but it certainly is important for a game afterall. Even if the story is incredible, if I feel like im playing a game that doesn't even feel like the theme of RE it really kills my mood and motivation to play. After I beat RE5 and unlocked Wesker in mercs, I found myself mainly just watching the cutscenes.
But RE5 would've given two things...The ONLY two mistakes as far as the game goes were too much light and the addition of a constant partner...The partner thing is the only gameplay issue with RE5...In all honesty, RE5 would probably be less action oriented with only one player...However, those things DID happen and I'll admit, there were times that RE5 didn't quite feel like RE...But there were times where you were (Well, I was at least) like "Oh yeah, this is what RE's been waiting for!"

So you're saying if every RE fans got up and said F this and didn't buy another RE game, there wouldn't be a noticable dent in the sales? Dude, every sale counts.
No, there wouldn't be, at least, not if they made it appeal to the more CoD side of gaming...There are such MASSIVE amounts of people playing CoD that if all of them bought into RE's new look, us old school gamers wouldn't stand a chance...Noticeable dent or not, if they end up making more sales of THOSE guys, then the face that the old gamers have left won't matter...Every sale does count...which is EXACTLY why Capcom is changing in the first place...

...I think i'm confused a bit by this...Soooo if we buy the game that is how we correct the mistakes? But if we don't buy the game the mistakes will be there, yet we don't hold power in our purses? And our opinions and letters sent to Capcom and posted on their community forums will do nothing? Just keep buying their games...? You got me on this one.
I'm not talking about us, I'm talking about Capcom...Capcom looks like it's fixed the mistakes of RE5...Making it a bit darker and not having a partner the whole time...when I said correcting the mistakes, I didn't mean US, I meant Capcom is correcting the mistakes it looks like...And no, we don't hold the power in our purses because, just like I stated above, even if we stop buying the game, there are more purses and wallets being emptied into the new version of RE...And yes, our opinions and letters are NOTHING...As single letters...If we are going to write a letter we need to all band together, and send them all at the same time...Hell, a big box of letters Fed-Exed to Capcom's front door would be a nice awakening for them...But that's practically impossible...And I didn't say we'll keep buying their games...Not if the issues are fixed...

How can you say they have no emotional value? Have you even seen some of the post regarding people's passion for a changed game? I can practically feel the energy radiating off of some of the post I read.
I can't...Because it's just a facebook add...If they wanted to do something more then they'd do MORE than just a facebook had...And hey, maybe some of those guys and gals are, but the ones that aren't are really just using those facebook petitions as a way to complain about the new direction of the series those petitions describe...

Horror isn't what defined the game that basically made the survival horror genre in video games? Im sorry, but horror is RE's genre and with it a big chunk of its identity. Yes the characters are important and the story, but the theme of a game should infact be considered a big and important part of its whole. I don't mind the action, just don't sacrafice the horror for a dominant action element.

RE didn't create survival horror...Actually another Capcom game did, and RE was the first to coin the term of the genre...You know, the band the Goo Goo Dolls started out as a heavy punk band, but have you ever heard the soft acoustic songs Iris, Name, and Slide...They changed they're style because that's what people liked and wanted to hear...Nobody wanted to hear that generic punk sound, they wanted something deep and meaningful...If you asked people nowadays, that's part of THEIR identity, even though that's not how they started out...I'm not defending Capcom's idea to go full action...I'm TOTALLY against it...But a games identity is more than its genre...Silent Hill is by FAR scarier and more horror than RE EVER was, but RE will always be greater because it had more to it's characters and story...

P.S. I'm not hating on SH, because I love it...

ToCool74

Veteran Member
..But horror isn't what defined RE, or what gave it it's identity..

Sorry, but this part of your post caught my attention and i COMPLETELY disagree.

Resident Evil was what began a era of "new survival horror" at the time. Sure the genre was out, but Resident Evil redefined it in a MAJOR way at the time and paved the way for games like Silent Hill. Most "Retro Gamers" who have never even played a Resident Evil title but was playing games around the time it was initially conceived would tell you that Resident Evil is known as that horror game with puzzles and zombies in it. They honestly would not give 2 ****s about the storyline which at that time was not a blockbuster story to begin with. What set it a part was its creepy settings,hard difficulty,scary monsters,challenging puzzles, and over all SURVIVAL HORROR.

But that is just my opinion on the matter...

But a lot of people don't actually have CVX...Actually, of all my friends into RE I'm the only one that does...And I had the original CV AND CVX...It's pretty hard to find form what I hear, so a digital copy of it is good...As for RE4, the HD version is based of the Wii edition, which has better graphics and more extras then the PS2 or Gamecube editions...

No, they're not hard to find, go to any local gameshop or one that sales PS2 games. I see them both everywhere. Even if they were hard to find that doesn't mean every older game that's hard to find needs to be constantly re-release with a few lame additions they could have kept.

But RE5 would've given two things...The ONLY two mistakes as far as the game goes were too much light and the addition of a constant partner...The partner thing is the only gameplay issue with RE5...In all honesty, RE5 would probably be less action oriented with only one player...However, those things DID happen and I'll admit, there were times that RE5 didn't quite feel like RE...But there were times where you were (Well, I was at least) like "Oh yeah, this is what RE's been waiting for!"
I was talking about the story. You may not have felt like there wasn't anything wrong with it, but I know alot of people that were. And yeah, the gameplay wasn't all that either. I personally see more than just 2 mistakes but whatever.

No, there wouldn't be, at least, not if they made it appeal to the more CoD side of gaming...There are such MASSIVE amounts of people playing CoD that if all of them bought into RE's new look, us old school gamers wouldn't stand a chance...Noticeable dent or not, if they end up making more sales of THOSE guys, then the face that the old gamers have left won't matter...Every sale does count...which is EXACTLY why Capcom is changing in the first place...
Sorry I disagree, the COD crowd might be larger but im not so sure just how large it is, but I doubt it's larger to the point where RE fans no longer matter. And doesn't that contradict what you said about us giving the game a chance or all is lost for RE or something like that? According to what you said, whether we buy the game or not doesn't matter.

Also, my point being is that they should expand the RE crowd by doing right not the COD crowd. If done right, they can get the numbers they want they just want to take the easy route.

I'm not talking about us, I'm talking about Capcom...Capcom looks like it's fixed the mistakes of RE5...
So positive deductions about a game from it's trailer are ok but negative ones are not? Whenever someone saids something bad about the game you're all like, "It's not even out yet."

And no, we don't hold the power in our purses because, just like I stated above, even if we stop buying the game, there are more purses and wallets being emptied into the new version of RE...And yes, our opinions and letters are NOTHING...As single letters...If we are going to write a letter we need to all band together, and send them all at the same time...Hell, a big box of letters Fed-Exed to Capcom's front door would be a nice awakening for them...But that's practically impossible...
1. That's no where near impossible. 2. That pretty much what petitions are in a way.

Hun, I think you're losing track of what you're saying, you said that...

"The difference between me and most other people on here, I'm willing to admit that we are part of the problem from a certain point of view...For a fanbase like ours to NOT take action against something like this...WE are part of the problem."

You said our sales don't matter, and neither do our voices, so how in the world are we part of the problem? By your implacations we're practically invisible to Capcom.

"If they poison it just cause they want it to become the greatest selling series OF ALL TIME then we the fans will be like RE6 and show that All Hope's Lost...But it doesn't have to be if we give the the chance to CORRECT mistakes.."
Give them the chance as in BUY IT! How else do we give them the chance?

Those single letters add up btw. And as for fan opinions not being valid, when the Imfamous 2 trailer came out they eventually changed Cole back to the way he was, and you know what the fans did? Voice their opinions, that's all they did. It's call feedback, that's how most companies know what their customers want.

And I didn't say we'll keep buying their games...Not if the issues are fixed...

Im sorry, I thought it was implied.

"All we can do is give it the chance it deserves...And it DOES deserve one...Wanna know why...
A. It's a Resident Evil game..."

"But trying a product you've ALWAYS bought and had faith in is different than trying something new for the first time..."
I can't...Because it's just a facebook add...If they wanted to do something more then they'd do MORE than just a facebook had...And hey, maybe some of those guys and gals are, but the ones that aren't are really just using those facebook petitions as a way to complain about the new direction of the series those petitions describe...

Im not just talking about FB adds. Im talking about real emotional post and letters i've seen on forums, youtube, and other gaming sites. Im pretty sure, these kind of letters make it to Capcom's email.

Besides, even if they were just adds, to see a great number of people who agree on the same thing has got to say something. Which is why we have the like and dislike buttons on many sites now in the first place. It lets people know what the majority thinks.

RE didn't create survival horror...Actually another Capcom game did, and RE was the first to coin the term of the genre

What game was that? And ok, if RE didn't create the genre it certainly gave it a name which can be just as important if not more.

But a games identity is more than its genre

I never said it wasn't, I said it was a big important part. Honestly, if a house hold name can just jump genres, why even have seperate genres? The genre should hold just as much weight as it's great story and characters.

Silent Hill is by FAR scarier and more horror than RE EVER was

I don't see your point. What's scary to some people may not be scary to others and even if it was fact that SH was scarier it doesn't change the fact that RE was always meant to be a scary game.

Silverback

Moving Mountains
To compare Silent Hill to Resident Evil on which is scarier is pointless, as it depends entirely on what one finds more traumatizing, and frightening.

Resident Evil is scarier in the sense that it exposes the underbelly of viral warfare and the aspects relating to, giving us a vision of a horrific onslaught - A Zombie holocaust.

Adding a horrifying twist to this concept, we see into a world of flesh-eating Zombie's, disease, hideous monsters and a widescale conspiracy to top it all off.

Where as Silent Hill is a soul-dive straight into the bowels of Hell, representing a different take depending on the emotional state of the character. This game screws with you in hundreds of ways, psychologically, adding as much psychological fear and paranoia aswell as literal danger.

Neither is ultimately scarier than the other.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Wow what did i miss?

I agree with both Killer and 013 to an extent.

Capcom wants money in their pocket...end of story. Lots of money. In the above quote that tocool posted, "Well you say they've lost tons of fans, yet it seems like each Resident Evil game sells better than the last..." They sell better because more casual gamers are picking up more 'casual' games. Truth is they have lost tons of fans, they just don't care because they are getting paid. If they arent getting paid....thats when they start to care. If a petition were to be set in place and we continue to b^tch about the series with hatemail I would want to believe that they would make previsions in the future regarding our concerns 'as oldschool """"loyal"""" fans', but unless theres a great risk of financial disparity in their future i would imagine they will keep making mediocre games for mediocre gamers. HOWEVER, like kennedykiller said, i believe you have to atleast try the game before you hate on them for it. IF they are making a direct carbon copy of a COD game with zombies then yea...they are wasting our time and money while spitting on our faces and should kill themselves. But if its half action half horror and the story doesnt make me want to give myself and indian burn then i can't really blame them for doing what they did. Like KK said though i doubt it, but it could happen.

The thing is I know that Capcom wants more money. My problem was that they are sacrificing things for just money and also going about it the wrong way IMO. I've also already stated why I may not buy a game I feel I won't like. But i've already had a debate about those things I don't want to get into it again.

Top Bottom