• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you watching?

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I'm watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and it is an improvement over the first movie. The stakes are higher with more ballsy action scenes and deadlier Games than the first one (no pun intended) and Katniss is tougher, braver and more fleshed-out in this movie as is the rest of the story, though one thing that really stood out to me is how the first few scenes are eerily similar to the first movie's. They all follow the EXACT same setup, anyone who's seen these movies knows what I'm talking about.

Still a damn good movie, though, I liked it more than the first one. Now here's hoping Mockinjay 1 and 2 don't disappoint (I blind bought the Hunger Games Collection on Blu-Ray), I've heard a lot of polarizing things about those.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
@KManX89 I've only watched the second film. I had no clue what was going on and left the cinema absolutely confounded. Mind you, I'm likely not among the target audience and had not previously read the books or followed the series in any capacity. Glad you're enjoying the series - I may have to pick your brain as to what the plot is about!

Currently watching... on and off watching of Homecoming season 2. A very interesting first season, but not sure that my wife and I are quite as gripped with the follow-up!

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and it is an improvement over the first movie. The stakes are higher with more ballsy action scenes and deadlier Games than the first one (no pun intended) and Katniss is tougher, braver and more fleshed-out in this movie as is the rest of the story, though one thing that really stood out to me is how the first few scenes are eerily similar to the first movie's. They all follow the EXACT same setup, anyone who's seen these movies knows what I'm talking about.

Still a damn good movie, though, I liked it more than the first one. Now here's hoping Mockinjay 1 and 2 don't disappoint (I blind bought the Hunger Games Collection on Blu-Ray), I've heard a lot of polarizing things about those.

I saw them all about a year ago for the first time. I enjoyed them all, but Catching Fire is definitely the high point of the series. The third is probably the weakest, but they are very different because it's not really about the Hunger Games anymore like the first 2 were, so depending on how important that aspect was to you could really affect your enjoyment of where the story goes next.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I just watched The Lighthouse on Prime Video. I never thought a low-budget drama/horror film starring just two actors in one location (okay, two locations; the outside of the titular lighthouse) could work, but dammit, it did. Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson literally steal the show with ham performances and fun AF characters in a solid descent into madness tale. It's not a movie I would rewatch or own on Blu-Ray, but it was better than it had any right to be given the limited-scale concept. I'm under the impression that most anything with Willem Dafoe is worth watching. Oh and bonus points for the black and white.

I definitely look forward to seeing Pattinson as Batman (Battinson), provided he was just kidding about not working out and actually takes the role seriously (one can only hope).

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Restarted Agents of Shield since the first season was probably one of the best comic television events of all time. I doubt I'll rewatch the whole thing again though. The 4th season beyond is OFF THE RAILS.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Forever on Amazon Prime. It started really slowly but I'm beginning to really appreciate it. Episode 6 was just gorgeous...

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I'm watching a foreign found footage zombie movie called [REC] right now. Perhaps you guys have heard of it, but in case you haven't, it's quite similar to Quarantine where a reporter woman interviews people, then enters a house where some wacky hi-jinks happen, only with zombies. I gotta say, it's pretty damned good so far. It even has a similar opening to Quarantine with the reporter lady following a group of firefighters.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I'm watching a foreign found footage zombie movie called [REC] right now. Perhaps you guys have heard of it, but in case you haven't, it's quite similar to Quarantine where a reporter woman interviews people, then enters a house where some wacky hi-jinks happen, only with zombies. I gotta say, it's pretty damned good so far. It even has a similar opening to Quarantine with the reporter lady following a group of firefighters.
Love [REC], it’s one of my favorite found footage movies. Quarantine is actually the American version of [REC]. So it actually has a similar everything to [REC].

Soul Fist

"John is dead, he became one of those zombies. My condolences.. Although I regret this, you will be joining him shortly." I don't know why, but I love this cutscene and this line.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Just watched Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga. Easily one of Will Farrell's best films. Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens were great.

I just finished watching it and really loved it! Really impressed with the performances. This might be my second favorite film by him after Stepbrothers.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Watched Hamilton the other night. I wasn't sure how rap/r&b/hip hop would mix with classical musical styles. But I have to say, the music was the strongest point of the experience. Easily entertaining with multiple great hooks in every song. There are salsa, carribbean, and a lot of 90's hip hop type samples in multiple songs, but they are finessed perfectly with that grand old Broadway show tune style. Every song is amazingly crafted and the actors have amazing voices.

Some songs I have really been enjoying since: "The Schuyler Sisters" "You'll Be Back" "Non-Stop"

I am not a super big theater guy, but I have to respect when one is done so well. The story is biographical, so a lot of it rushes from moment to moment in Hamilton's life, but the real winner is the music.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Some drug thing...gotten a bit obsessed with documentaries about drugs, cartels and gang warfare lately.

It's not giving me kingpin ideas or anything...just fascinating stuff and seeing the perspective of the government, the cartels and the people makes the entire subject much more complex than simply "drugs are bad, mmkay"

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I watched (rented) Max Payne on Prime Video just to refresh my memory a bit, and it's as bad as I remember. An adaptation of a game with all that shooting takes until the last 20 minutes to finally have a couple brief shootouts? And yeah, it deviated from the game's story (why? You're essentially given a movie in game form made INTO a movie), but it was a mess ignoring this. Holy cow, there was so much unbelievable sh!t I don't even know where to begin, and not just because of the supernatural hallucinogenic drug that makes people see f*cking winged demons, either. The characters are bland and not interesting with a plot that drags. Nevermind the lack of narrations, bullet time (except for one scene where he outshoots a guy standing upright while falling backwards with a shotgun), or one-liners from the game, the movie was awful ignoring this.

I know games-to-movies haven't had the best track record for obvious reasons, but this is one of the easier properties to get right on the big screen given the film noir style of the games, the gritty atmosphere and the fact that it's framing device is from f*cking comic book pages, but they completely botched it with a poorly-paced, edited and written film that doesn't match the atmosphere it was setting up at all. It was so dull, boring and shallow that even Marky Mark is bland in this (congrats on having 2 phoned-in performances in a row, never thought I'd see that from you).

Hell, even the dead family scene was completely dumbed down, perhaps the biggest cardinal sin of all in this movie. It was done so much better in the game, I felt like I could actually feel Max's pain (no pun intended) when he mourns over his dead wife and baby, which brings me to my next point (and this is a real pet peeve of mine)...

It's another movie that clearly should've been R and was dumbed down by Tom Rothman's Fox. A cop who comes home and finds his wife and baby murdered, then brutally guns down gangsters with drugs and prostitutes thrown in for good measure, and they saw fit to give us a watered-down version of that. You can tell it was truncated by missing the darker story elements from the game (which was made for adults, anyway). Yeah, there's an "unrated" cut filled with cheap CGI blood effects, but it was pretty much already shot for PG-13, anyway. You can even tell it's choppily edited to add those in after the fact (Taken, this is not).

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I'm watching The Devil's Rejects on Prime Video. No matter how many times I've seen it on DVD, it never gets old. This is easily Rob Zombie's best movie IMHO. Sid Haig (R.I.P.) makes this movie his with his ballsy performance as Captain F*cking Spaulding (sorry, couldn't resist) with the best pacing and story to boot of the Cap Spaulding movies (though it does get a bit perverse at times). Too bad the sequel (3 From Hell) was sh!t, which it never had any business having a sequel to begin with (there's no way in hell they survived that f*cking shootout at the end).

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I finally watched Prometheus on Prime Video, now I know why it's so reviled/divisive. The problems basically boil down to dumb characters, tons of unanswered questions, plot holes, rushed beginning. I won't try to spoil too much, but basically, some of the gaffes in this movie boil down to running in a straight line and something-something having to do with black goo. It's too bad because you have amazing set designs and direction and some interesting concepts and good tension. So much wasted potential.

All-in-all, I wouldn't say it's a terrible movie, but pretty bland and mediocre. A well-made mess is the best word to describe it.

Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Alien: Covenant answered ANY of these questions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom