• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you watching?

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
The prequel Alien films are truly flawed but I’d say my appreciation for Prometheus grew after Alien Covenant came out as it kind of shows some sort of direction in leading up to the events of Alien. It’s too bad that we may never get the third and final film to the prequel trilogy to bring Ridley’s story to a close. Though his vision did kind of suffer from the backlash Prometheus received because, for an Alien prequel story, it’s very... ambitious and lacked the beloved Xenomorph that followers were anticipating.

Alien Covenant is a result of the backlash as Ridley really tweaked his vision by downscaling the story and introducing the Xenomorph, albeit a bit prematurely.
Alien Covenant doesn’t go into Shaw’s story so much, but it does address what happens to her and David’s turning point as he explores the world of the Engineers and experiments with their engineered black goo. We don’t get to see this happen and we don’t even get to see much of the Engineers. We’re given a glimpse of what happened following Prometheus’ ending and then it jumps right into the results of David’s experimentation.
I actually thoroughly enjoyed Covenant, but it’s biggest flaw, for me, is that it abruptly jumps into the creation of the Xenomorph. The main threat should have been the Neomorph (which was actually a very scary creature that deserved more screen time) for the entire film and then the official facehugger/Xenomorph would have been the cookie crumb at the end that would lead into the third movie. But angry fans and studios execs played a hand in forcing Ridley to cut to the chase.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I just finished “product placement: the anime,” AKA, “A better superhero anime than My Hero,” AKA Tiger & Bunny, and I god damn loved it. You know how the movies in the MCU have painfully predictable story lines but the colors are so vibrant and the characters are so fun that we all just eat that sh*t up anyway? That was Tiger & Bunny. I wanted to type out a whole Spoiler Free Review for this…but…I’m pretty sure I just summed everything up already. So yeah…Thanks for showing me roomie lol. 8/10.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
The prequel Alien films are truly flawed but I’d say my appreciation for Prometheus grew after Alien Covenant came out as it kind of shows some sort of direction in leading up to the events of Alien. It’s too bad that we may never get the third and final film to the prequel trilogy to bring Ridley’s story to a close. Though his vision did kind of suffer from the backlash Prometheus received because, for an Alien prequel story, it’s very... ambitious and lacked the beloved Xenomorph that followers were anticipating.

Alien Covenant is a result of the backlash as Ridley really tweaked his vision by downscaling the story and introducing the Xenomorph, albeit a bit prematurely.
Alien Covenant doesn’t go into Shaw’s story so much, but it does address what happens to her and David’s turning point as he explores the world of the Engineers and experiments with their engineered black goo. We don’t get to see this happen and we don’t even get to see much of the Engineers. We’re given a glimpse of what happened following Prometheus’ ending and then it jumps right into the results of David’s experimentation.
I actually thoroughly enjoyed Covenant, but it’s biggest flaw, for me, is that it abruptly jumps into the creation of the Xenomorph. The main threat should have been the Neomorph (which was actually a very scary creature that deserved more screen time) for the entire film and then the official facehugger/Xenomorph would have been the cookie crumb at the end that would lead into the third movie. But angry fans and studios execs played a hand in forcing Ridley to cut to the chase.

I'd much rather we get an Alien 5 continuing Ellen Ripley's story and/or even introduce her daughter, Amanda Ripley from the Alien: Isolation game (which IS canon to the movies per the game's DLC which even features a playable Ellen) in a "passing of the torch", which Neill Blomkamp was originally tabbed to direct. He even showed off some Xenomorph concept art designs which looked so badass, too bad it got cancelled. Poor Neill can't catch a break, he was also supposed to direct the upcoming rebootquel, RoboCop Returns at one point and got dropped from that as well. It's too bad because I think he'd be a great choice for RoboCop and, judging by his concept artwork, Alien 5 as well.

It's also not the first time an Alien 5 was "supposed" to happen. Ridley Scott was also supposed to direct Alien 5 with James Cameron writing/producing at one point, but it got dropped by the Fox higher-ups for that sh!tty AvP movie. Of course, it was ran by Tom Rothman at the time, you know, the guy who sewed Deadpool's mouth shut and turned Galactus into a space-cloud among so many other things, so yeah, of course he did. And he hired that hack, Paul WS Anderson, to direct it, can't forget that one. Because destroying one beloved franchise wasn't enough, I guess.

He'll probably do the same to Monster Hunter, the synopsis already reads like a bad fanfiction that has nothing to do with the games at all (since when were f*cking military squads {!} in the damn MH games?). And it features his wife as the lead again because, of course it does.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I'd much rather we get an Alien 5 continuing Ellen Ripley's story and/or even introduce her daughter, Amanda Ripley from the Alien: Isolation game (which IS canon to the movies per the game's DLC which even features a playable Ellen) in a "passing of the torch", which Neill Blomkamp was originally tabbed to direct. He even showed off some Xenomorph concept art designs which looked so badass, too bad it got cancelled. Poor Neill can't catch a break, he was also supposed to direct the upcoming rebootquel, RoboCop Returns at one point and got dropped from that as well. It's too bad because I think he'd be a great choice for RoboCop and, judging by his concept artwork, Alien 5 as well.

It's also not the first time an Alien 5 was "supposed" to happen. Ridley Scott was also supposed to direct Alien 5 with James Cameron writing/producing at one point, but it got dropped by the Fox higher-ups for that sh!tty AvP movie. Of course, it was ran by Tom Rothman at the time, you know, the guy who sewed Deadpool's mouth shut and turned Galactus into a space-cloud among so many other things, so yeah, of course he did. And he hired that hack, Paul WS Anderson, to direct it, can't forget that one. Because destroying one beloved franchise wasn't enough, I guess.

He'll probably do the same to Monster Hunter, the synopsis already reads like a bad fanfiction that has nothing to do with the games at all (since when were f*cking military squads {!} in the damn MH games?). And it features his wife as the lead again because, of course it does.

Trust me, Alien Isolation is most certainly canon no matter what anyone says. :lol:

I believe Blomkamp’s story for Alien 5 was set to retcon Alien 3 (and of course Alien Resurrection) because Newt and Hicks were to play a part in the story.
As far as Ripley is concerned, I can’t say I truly care to see a continuation on her story even though some of the concept art looked interesting and I adore her character (as well as Newt and Hicks). While I wouldn’t be disappointed with that direction, I think it’s gotten to the point where it’s been too long for a direct sequel to Aliens and Sigourney isn’t getting younger. Plus I didn’t exactly hate Alien 3, even if the film is riddled with issues. But it would be awesome to see Michael Biehn again. Even having an actress like Florence Pugh play an older Newt would be a good decision.

I’d rather them have more of a fresh start for the series if they’re looking to revive the franchise though. It would give them a little more freedom to introduce some newer concepts as well as old.
The storyline within Alien Isolation, with Amanda Ripley, would be a refreshing way to ease people into the story of Alien. For them to create a series based around Alien Isolation for HBO, Netflix, etc. is also something that could be really fun and allow for multiple storylines to take place. They could depict the downfall of the derelict ship/space station, Sevastopol, all while showcasing survivors of the large space station and then bring us to speed on Amanda and her search for answers.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Watched the first Four episodes. The show has kept its charm and the soundtrack is banging. Weird that they...
decided to set the whole thing in 1963. I feel like we are outside of the main story at this point. But I guess the main story is whatever the hell the writers say it is.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I just started Transformers: the War For Cybertron, really enjoying it so far. Good to know that they actually stayed true to Prime's ideals of justice and not turning him into a cold-blooded murderer like in the Bayformers movies (though I did like the first one), although:

They nerfed him bad, Megatron done f*cked him up in the first battle.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I finished seson 2 of True Detective last night. With season 1 being arguably my favorite live action show of all time, I didn't really care about season 2 (Since it's an anthology show, meaning every season is a new story with new characters). Plus, I hate Colin Farrel, and the main appeal of season 1 was the isolation of being in a small southern swamp area, having season 2 take place in a city just...didn't appeal to me. Season 3 came by and it was more similar to season 1, and again, I loved it. So I figured now's about time I watch season 2 so I can say I've completed it it and...Frankly it wasn't NEAR as bad as I thought it would be. Granted when one show is the pinnacle of television for you, any follow up will probably be a disappointment, but all in all, I still ended up loving it. Vince Vaugn steals the show as a gangster trying to go straight. The subplot with Colin Farrel's character trying to fight for custody of his son hits close to home. The Detective work is incredibly unrealistic which makes for riveting TV. It's the weakest of the 3 seasons, but when your weakest season is still an 8/10, you're doing something right.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I just watched Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan last night. Now I know why it's lauded as the best Star Trek film. Khan is, simply put, an amazing villain with a ham performance. His story as it pertains to his conflict with Kirk, who's already in the midst of a midlife crisis-which makes the whole film gel-is even better with plenty of solid performances and action to go around.

It gets bonus points for James Horner's amazing score, which I and many other feels is sadly overlooked.

Oh and:

Spock's death was powerful (read: sad) stuff.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Proper cannot stop watching my drug shows. Just finished Dope, moved onto Narcoworld:Dope Stories now.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I've recently watched during lockdown:

The order: season 2

Westworld: all three seasons

The sinner: season 1 and 2

Snowpiercer

Westworld is confusing AF, like I don't even know if I like it.

The order season 2 was okayish, sort of easy binge watching.

The sinner season 1 was really good, Season 2 a bit worse. Havnt started season 3 yet.

Snowpiercer was unexpectedly really good

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
A sad cancelation. I really enjoyed the Netflix Sabrina. It took me a minute to get used to them saying, "Hail Satan" every other ****ing line, but once you get past that, the story is kind of amazing. Different than most things you see anyways.

The third season WAS a little over the top and rushed. But Netflix seasons only last from 8-10 episodes, so if you have great ideas- you have to rush them to fit in to your allotted time. But at least their will be a fourth season to finish it out.

And just an FYI, if my UK brethren continue to use Britishisms like "Proper", "Chuffed" and "Knackered", I will just ****ing die. I LOVE IT. Got it!?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The Sacred Blacksmith - 4/10
“You don’t understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could’ve been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.” That quote from 1954, said by Marlon Brando in the film “On the Waterfront,” fits this anime perfectly. It coulda been something…but instead it’s nothing. A unique concept in a sea of ever same-y high fantasy anime. Knights and Kingdoms. But one Knight…Uses a Katana? What!? An ancient Japanese weapon amongst a sea of Eastern and Central European style aesthetics? Truly this must be something interesting? And then I watched it, and became so disinterested I must’ve been a hot blonde milf on my first date since hubby ran off with the nanny, only to hear the guy I’m on the date with start talkin’ about how the Mexican’s are taking our jobs. Here’s my Spoiler Free Review of The Sacred Blacksmith

I suppose the character design is cool. And the artwork in and of itself is pretty enough. But…What does this want to be? Does it want to be an episodic story, chronicling the lifestyle of an underdog knight who doesn’t always agree with the way the politics work? If so, that could work! Does it want to be a long overarching story of supernatural high fantasy about an upcoming tragedy that she must train for, and get help from her friends and peers along the way so the day can be saved again? Sure. That’s cool too! Can it be both? Well…I guess…In the way that Someone can be eating at a fast food restaurant AND be on a strict diet. I guess it could work…But it's probably not worth trying considering how arduous a task it is. And it’s a shame because if you look at Cowboy Bebop, that show nails this concept. Be episodic in nature, with a long running background plot that rears its head at significant moments. This show sets UP a plot like that in episode 1. Then by episode 11 the writers were like “Oh sh*t! I think we forgot to drop in hints and events about the big bad over the last 9 episodes? What’re we gonna do??” And the head writer was just like, “F*ck it. We make ‘em have a finale anyway. Our audience is weebs and D&D players. It’s not like they’re REAL people.” And everyone just sorta nodded and agreed. They really should’ve either just stuck with one type of story telling or the other. 12 episodes isn’t enough to do both.

Then again…Maybe even fixing that wouldn’t have helped the characters at all. It’s like they couldn’t decide who they wanted the main character to be. Luke or Cecily? Sure Cecily has more screen time. But no use is made of it. She starts off the show as a weak character that is eager to become something more. But…She never grows beyond that. She talks a big game in several subsequent fights going forward. Giving the illusion to the viewer that she’s improved or grown stronger. But…She never really does. She has zero development in any substantial way that effects the series as a whole. In fact, she plot armors her way through so much bogus by virtue of being the main character. It shows her superior officer knights telling her how bad she is several times, then giving her all these special assignments or letting her speak out of turn. Even during crucial political moments where this dumb b*tch could literally cause a war with her rust tongue, her commanding officers don’t really punish her. Just tell her to stop. That would not fly in any military setting. Luke’s character is really no better. He gets a fair amount of screen time, and hell, HE’S the Blacksmith. Ya know…the title character. But because they’ve spent so long on Cecily and doing nothing with her, they just rush his character development and backstory in at the last second. So we have two main characters. One with zero growth. And one who is given all of his character development shoved into one 5 minute exposition scene near the end of the show. You thought it was good writing? Nope. Chuck Testa.

And honestly, my last complaint, is that the show is given an MA rating. Mature Audiences. IDK what the rating system is like over in other countries, but in the states, MA rated animated shows can get away with a LOT. I’m talking easily R rated if we were using film ratings. And this show…does nothing with it. The blood is minimal and barely ever shown. The swearing is almost non existent. The nudity is always censored. This is stuff you can get away with in PG-13. Seriously. What’s the reason for the rating? I’m not saying an anime needs all the blood, nudity, swearing, etc. But if you’re going to be rated MA, you may as well go all out. This anime is the equivalent of saying Star Wars deserves an “R” rating. An +18 rating. They literally have the same levels of violence, sexualization, and swearing in them, so it’s not a bad comparison.

All in all I didn’t like this. This gets a 4/10. Not even good enough to be so bad it’s good. Don’t waste your time. I'd rather shave a polar bear bald with my teeth than watch this trash again.

Wesker90

Covering content of Raw/Smackdown/ECW/NXT on the WWE Network recently.

As for shows unrelated to wrestling the last series I watched was Witcher earlier in January.

Billy Coen

The-Fan-1981-movie-Ed-Bianchi-3.jpg

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Project power - was good but could have done with expanding more on the ideas presented.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Cobra Kai is a pretty fun show. The brief flashbacks to The Karate Kid are cool.

I've also been rewatching Futurama. Its definitely still the better show between Simpsons, itself, and Disenchantment, imo

Top Bottom