• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you Thinking? Resident Evil Edition!

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Man, I remember when the prevailing theory was HUNK was a Wesker child, the missing Alex, specifically.

Guess Revelations 2 threw a wrench into that plan.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Since I recently got into Mass Effect, I wonder: Why can't RE have the same (optional) romance mechanics? Everyone, no matter who they ship, would be happy. :razz: But then again, Mass Effect really lets you play out all the love stories you always wanted, but never got to see in RE, since half of the cast of RE is present anyway:

Starting with your playable character who, with little effort, can be played like this game universe's version of Chris ...

commander_shepardl2smf.jpg

... then there's Jill ...

miranda_character_boxvqs19.png

... Ada ...

subject_zero_characterzsbq.png

... Piers ...

kaidan_character_boxazsgd.png

... Wesker ...

illusive_man7zs0h.png

... Jake ...

wrex_character_boxfmsbs.png

... Sherry ...

liara_character_boxwwscf.png

... Rebecca ...

kelly_me2_boxshotpmsyh.png

... Claire ...

sara_ryder9mssz.png

... and even someone called Ashley, although that's where the similarities end.

ashley_character_boxdgste.png

Almost every somewhat important person you meet in the game (except villains) can be romanced sooner or later, and I'm only halfway through Mass Effect 2 so far, so maybe I'll encounter even more RE characters scattered over the Milky Way. Can't wait to find out!

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Since I recently got into Mass Effect, I wonder: Why can't RE have the same (optional) romance mechanics? Everyone, no matter who they ship, would be happy. :razz: But then again, Mass Effect really lets you play out all the love stories you always wanted, but never got to see in RE, since half of the cast of RE is present anyway:

Starting with your playable character who, with little effort, can be played like this game universe's version of Chris ...

commander_shepardl2smf.jpg

... then there's Jill ...

miranda_character_boxvqs19.png

... Ada ...

subject_zero_characterzsbq.png

... Piers ...

kaidan_character_boxazsgd.png

... Wesker ...

illusive_man7zs0h.png

... Jake ...

wrex_character_boxfmsbs.png

... Sherry ...

liara_character_boxwwscf.png

... Rebecca ...

kelly_me2_boxshotpmsyh.png

... Claire ...

sara_ryder9mssz.png

... and even someone called Ashley, although that's where the similarities end.

ashley_character_boxdgste.png

Almost every somewhat important person you meet in the game (except villains) can be romanced sooner or later, and I'm only halfway through Mass Effect 2 so far, so maybe I'll encounter even more RE characters scattered over the Milky Way. Can't wait to find out!

How are those characters even close to being like the characters you mentioned? :p but okay! I need to ask though! How are you liking the ME games? :)

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Perhaps it doesn't seem that way to someone who isn't actively looking for those similarities (which, admittedly, I was), but once you see it, you can't unsee it. Take Jill and Miranda, for example, who only differ because Miranda has an actual personality. Rebecca and Kelly are even more blatant: Same looks, same last name, they're quite the cuties, both take care of their teammates' health in one way or another, both are smart and overqualified for their positions, both can die horribly later in the game if you don't save them in time. They may not be similar personality-wise (or maybe they are, I don't know Kelly that well yet), but all those other things caught my eye so quickly that I can't even imagine how another RE fan could possibly miss them. Something else that is more subjective on my part, but also added to my impression of the characters: It always seemed to me that, even though she never expressed a wish for it out loud, Rebecca probably wouldn't have minded getting into Chris's pants someday, and Kelly obviously has a thing for you...

I love the game so far. And believe it or not, I haven't actually started a romance yet.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Perhaps it doesn't seem that way to someone who isn't actively looking for those similarities (which, admittedly, I was), but once you see it, you can't unsee it. Take Jill and Miranda, for example, who only differ because Miranda has an actual personality. Rebecca and Kelly are even more blatant: Same looks, same last name, they're quite the cuties, both take care of their teammates' health in one way or another, both are smart and overqualified for their positions, both can die horribly later in the game if you don't save them in time. They may not be similar personality-wise (or maybe they are, I don't know Kelly that well yet), but all those other things caught my eye so quickly that I can't even imagine how another RE fan could possibly miss them. Something else that is more subjective on my part, but also added to my impression of the characters: It always seemed to me that, even though she never expressed a wish for it out loud, Rebecca probably wouldn't have minded getting into Chris's pants someday, and Kelly obviously has a thing for you...

I love the game so far. And believe it or not, I haven't actually started a romance yet.

Interesting catches I suppose. I'd never compare Jill with Miranda for a number of reasons but I don't want to risk spoiling anything so I'll back off from that. I'll give you the Rebecca and Kelly one I guess. As for Wesker and Jack Harper (The Illusive Man), I'd argue he's more like Oswell E. Spencer in some ways but I do get your similarities xD There are similarities for sure there. There was some cut stuff from ME3 actually that would add to that but I don't want to risk potential spoilers cut content or not. That being said ME2 takes a lot from RE4's movement and combat. BioWare had devs playing that games dozens of times over to get the feeling right :)

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I'm sorry but you're saying that you can develop relationships for your characters in Mass Effect?!

Also I'm wondering what the hell Capcom is changing with the Not a Hero DLC. How bad was it? Maybe it was the negative reaction to "Redfield".

Reactions: Hel

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Also I'm wondering what the hell Capcom is changing with the Not a Hero DLC. How bad was it? Maybe it was the negative reaction to "Redfield".
I've been wondering what they're doing, too. Hmm... was it really a "negative" reaction though? Most of the posts I've seen about it have just been speculating if it's Chris or not and about his looks.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I've been wondering what they're doing, too. Hmm... was it really a "negative" reaction though? Most of the posts I've seen about it have just been speculating if it's Chris or not and about his looks.

I doubt it has to do with that. I mean it's possible but his looks were changed but I doubt it because of the new engine and photogrammetry. That's probably as close to Chris Redfield as they could get with the new engine. Plus this is hardly the first time they changed Chris's appearance and hardly the most drastic. I mean Chris went from Blue eyes in the early games to Brown eyes from RE5 forward. I think they changed them to brown for the RE HD Remake but I could be wrong but even still....

Plus does this new Chris reeeeeally look that different from Chris Redfield outside of our short term memories? The new "Blue Umbrella" Chris Redfield looks far more like Chris from RE1, UBC, and Code Veronica X than RE5, RE6, Rev, and Vendetta Chris ever did. He's just older and inline wit the new technology. Not to mention the RE5 and RE6 Chris had a more bulky design that fit that era of games and game design. Yeah it sucks that Capcom wasn't consistent but that's not going to stop them from releasing more games. Character design changes is a common practice in the gaming industry as we can add more details with better graphics or different fads come and go like the Gears of War style bulky arms or last gen

712ec1b51714e99a0e20a863420e8e11.jpg

chris-deadlysilence.jpg

RE7-Not-a-Hero_02-24-17.jpg

I believe Capcom is telling the truth when they say that they are delaying the "Not A Hero" DLC because they feel the quality is not up to par with the rest of the game. This is often the case when that claim is made with DLC. They likely want to spend more time polishing the content. After whether you were a fan of RE7 or not; it renewed a lot of peoples faith in Capcom's for those who were disappointed with RE6 and I think they want to ensure that quality is maintained and keep that momentum up. Hopefully the wait for the RE2 remake, Revelations 3, and even RE8 isn't as long the last gap of RE games.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
I doubt it has to do with that. I mean it's possible but his looks were changed but I doubt it because of the new engine and photogrammetry. That's probably as close to Chris Redfield as they could get with the new engine. Plus this is hardly the first time they changed Chris's appearance and hardly the most drastic. I mean Chris went from Blue eyes in the early games to Brown eyes from RE5 forward. I think they changed them to brown for the RE HD Remake but I could be wrong but even still....

Plus does this new Chris reeeeeally look that different from Chris Redfield outside of our short term memories? The new "Blue Umbrella" Chris Redfield looks far more like Chris from RE1, UBC, and Code Veronica X than RE5, RE6, Rev, and Vendetta Chris ever did. He's just older and inline wit the new technology. Not to mention the RE5 and RE6 Chris had a more bulky design that fit that era of games and game design. Yeah it sucks that Capcom wasn't consistent but that's not going to stop them from releasing more games. Character design changes is a common practice in the gaming industry as we can add more details with better graphics or different fads come and go like the Gears of War style bulky arms or last gen

712ec1b51714e99a0e20a863420e8e11.jpg

chris-deadlysilence.jpg

RE7-Not-a-Hero_02-24-17.jpg

I believe Capcom is telling the truth when they say that they are delaying the "Not A Hero" DLC because they feel the quality is not up to par with the rest of the game. This is often the case when that claim is made with DLC. They likely want to spend more time polishing the content. After whether you were a fan of RE7 or not; it renewed a lot of peoples faith in Capcom's for those who were disappointed with RE6 and I think they want to ensure that quality is maintained and keep that momentum up. Hopefully the wait for the RE2 remake, Revelations 3, and even RE8 isn't as long the last gap of RE games.
Even with a new engine, he could still look similar to how he used to, though. Chris's look has always been somewhat consistent, and it doesn't really make sense to me if it was just a redesign in 7 to go back to his old look in Vendetta. I think this guy also looks younger than Chris has recently.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Even with a new engine, he could still look similar to how he used to, though. Chris's look has always been somewhat consistent, and it doesn't really make sense to me if it was just a redesign in 7 to go back to his old look in Vendetta. I think this guy also looks younger than Chris has recently.

While I agree with the topic of consistency and that how crazy different Vendetta Chris looks to this version which seems to be a realistic take of the original designs. I'm also not sure how that bulky version of Chris would work with Photogrammetry. They probably couldn't find a look alike (even if I can think of only one that's pretty much a splitting image of RE5's Chris) but he's not actor, he's a singer lmao.

That being said this video explains the scenario pretty well. Basically Photogrammetry is like what Death Stranding is doing. It's taking real actors and using them for the in game character models and animation. It skips A LOT of work. Keep in mind the model actors and the voice actors are different people. Modifications to the character models can be made in development if needed.

Here's a comparison of all the characters.

FREAKING LUCAS BAKER IS ON PAR. So is Pete and Andre, they even named them after their models but that Lucas tho!
5394a053223db27e3e29f8be0489a033--lucas-baker-resident-evil-resident-evil-.jpg

I wonder if this is the route going forward. I kind of hope they don't change the iconic characters too much. Though I won't lie... with some minor modifications Matthew Mercer could both voice and model for an older Leon at his in game age lmao! Just as Julia Voth could fully model Jill Valentine. So it can work for some characters. Capcom started practicing this on a small scale with motion captures in Resident Evil Revelations 2 by modeling their characters after their motion capture characters. Elaine Hendrix played Alex Wesker and the model is based off of her.

Speaking of which. Not only are we waiting for the "Not A Hero" DLC which is free and seems to be a pivotal part of the game and apparently focused on Chris taking down Lucas Baker and hopefully shed more light on Blue Umbrella which is apparently a company that creates weapons specifically manufactured to destroy and eliminate B.O.W's and works closely with the B.S.A.A. and Red Umbrella still exists in the shadows and is lead by an unknown individual and the two of them are at war. Blue Umbrella is kind of resurrected from the old Umbrella but on the good side of things... I hope that leak is fake because it's kinda stupid imho and Capcom can do better, then again we don't know the depth and scale of it so it could work. I have other theories but I gotta question that leak since RE7 was accurately leaked prior to release *sighs* There's also another big DLC that is part of the Season Pass/Deluxe edition which is labeled as a "Story Episode" rather than "Banned Episodes". Could it be a flash back or an event that happened in the past that links to the current events and ties RE7 in the series on a deeper level? Evidence based on speculations and a little photo posted would likely point to a flash back but I'm not sure how it's going to tie in.... Related to Tentsu maybe? If Tentsu is the name. Based on RE7 Wesker's group H.C.F. worked with them and that would mean Tentsu is Umbrella's rival company. At least one of them sense we know of two now. Unless they are related. I guess we'll need to wait and find out because it's a freaking looper lmao! Thought depending how this plays out, Capcom may have been planning a head a lot more than we give them credit for over that last few years on the technical side of things.

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm sorry but you're saying that you can develop relationships for your characters in Mass Effect?!

Yep. There are a few limitations as your only playable and customisable character is Commander Shepard, some of the romance options are only available to a male or a female commander, and some characters cannot be romanced at all. But other than that, yeah, it's pretty much Sims in space, and I'll definitely get to see my substitute Nivanfield and Chamberfield love stories soon. :cool:

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
While I agree with the topic of consistency and that how crazy different Vendetta Chris looks to this version which seems to be a realistic take of the original designs. I'm also not sure how that bulky version of Chris would work with Photogrammetry. They probably couldn't find a look alike (even if I can think of only one that's pretty much a splitting image of RE5's Chris) but he's not actor, he's a singer lmao.

That being said this video explains the scenario pretty well. Basically Photogrammetry is like what Death Stranding is doing. It's taking real actors and using them for the in game character models and animation. It skips A LOT of work. Keep in mind the model actors and the voice actors are different people. Modifications to the character models can be made in development if needed.

Here's a comparison of all the characters.

FREAKING LUCAS BAKER IS ON PAR. So is Pete and Andre, they even named them after their models but that Lucas tho!
5394a053223db27e3e29f8be0489a033--lucas-baker-resident-evil-resident-evil-.jpg

I wonder if this is the route going forward. I kind of hope they don't change the iconic characters too much. Though I won't lie... with some minor modifications Matthew Mercer could both voice and model for an older Leon at his in game age lmao! Just as Julia Voth could fully model Jill Valentine. So it can work for some characters. Capcom started practicing this on a small scale with motion captures in Resident Evil Revelations 2 by modeling their characters after their motion capture characters. Elaine Hendrix played Alex Wesker and the model is based off of her.

Speaking of which. Not only are we waiting for the "Not A Hero" DLC which is free and seems to be a pivotal part of the game and apparently focused on Chris taking down Lucas Baker and hopefully shed more light on Blue Umbrella which is apparently a company that creates weapons specifically manufactured to destroy and eliminate B.O.W's and works closely with the B.S.A.A. and Red Umbrella still exists in the shadows and is lead by an unknown individual and the two of them are at war. Blue Umbrella is kind of resurrected from the old Umbrella but on the good side of things... I hope that leak is fake because it's kinda stupid imho and Capcom can do better, then again we don't know the depth and scale of it so it could work. I have other theories but I gotta question that leak since RE7 was accurately leaked prior to release *sighs* There's also another big DLC that is part of the Season Pass/Deluxe edition which is labeled as a "Story Episode" rather than "Banned Episodes". Could it be a flash back or an event that happened in the past that links to the current events and ties RE7 in the series on a deeper level? Evidence based on speculations and a little photo posted would likely point to a flash back but I'm not sure how it's going to tie in.... Related to Tentsu maybe? If Tentsu is the name. Based on RE7 Wesker's group H.C.F. worked with them and that would mean Tentsu is Umbrella's rival company. At least one of them sense we know of two now. Unless they are related. I guess we'll need to wait and find out because it's a freaking looper lmao!
Like you said, modifications can be made, though. Usually when I look at different models for the same characters, I can tell right away it's them, because while there might be some changes, it doesn't make me question if it's really them as they still have a lot of the traits of their other model(s). I mean, if this guy really is Chris, I'd be fine with it, I've just never seen a transformation this huge in character models. It just doesn't immediately strike me as Chris right now.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Like you said, modifications can be made, though. Usually when I look at different models for the same characters, I can tell right away it's them, because while there might be some changes, it doesn't make me question if it's really them as they still have a lot of the traits of their other model(s). I mean, if this guy really is Chris, I'd be fine with it, I've just never seen a transformation this huge in character models. It just doesn't immediately strike me as Chris right now.

I guess but something traditionally won't be drastically changed with that method. Stuff like hair and clothes are the things that are modified the most as far as I am aware. The structure of the body and face tends to remain a bit closer. While the change is quite drastic it is understandable. I would argue that plenty of characters had drastic changes of the years. Dante from Devil May Cry to DMC had a huge physical change. Samus Aran has changed over the years until they finally hit a design that kind of fit certain taboo (word used very loosely) that Nintendo seems to push artistically. Same happened with Link more and more over the ages. Another character that I felt was dramatic was Lara Croft from her old days to now. Not only does she look like a totally different person, she sounds and acts like one too.

Top Bottom