• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? (Part 2)

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
To be fair to Jared Leto - the character design, dialogue, and story was absolutely terrible in Suicide Squad. They made their own modern Joker who didn't make sense with the character.

I think the Joaquin version looks to be a new take on the character as well but in a more frightening and charming way.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I think the fact that Jared Leto is, given the right writing/direction, a fantastic actor, is probably what disappointed me most. He could have been given so much more to work with and it felt like he'd been strangled.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
While everyone is panicking over the hurricane, I am currently ecstatic over the final Joker trailer.
Can’t wait for this movie!
I love this statement. Not cause I care about the movie. I don't. But it sounds like such a joker thing to say. I just imagine you laughing while everyone else flees a hurricane, but the watery destruction paints a smile on your face as twisted yet enthralling as those old Ronald McDonald statues in 90's McDonald's restaurants.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one here who thinks this looks terrible.... Which is strange to me because among the people I know personally, they all think it looks terrible also lol.
You're not the only one. I think it looks terrible too. Well...Sorta. I think it looks boring. Not terrible. It just doesn't feel like a Joker movie. To me it feels like a random psychological horror movie that happens to have a dude wearing an outfit similar to the Joker. Even if it did feel like a Joker film, I'm not a big fan of the character. So to see a trailer for something I'm already not a fan of, and yet somehow make it even more disappointing looking, is actually quite impressive XD.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Me, neither. It looks fantastic.

I've been spoiled rotten over the last couple days with both it and the new Terminator: Dark Fate trailer dropping, which I actually think looks pretty good:

Gritty Terminator is back, YAY!

Ya know, I had big doubts about the new Terminator movie at first, but the most recent trailer does make it look enjoyable. I'll definitely be seeing it when its released too!

I'm undecided as to whether I will see it or not - Jared Leto was such a letdown and I honestly might be the only person on the planet who didn't rate Heath Ledger either. I mean, it was ok, but nothing jaw dropping. Seemed to me that most people jumped on that bandwagon after he died - he wasn't a particularly amazing actor, but he did ok.

I personally loved Gotham's version with Jerome - it just clicked for me.

I find Joaquin kinda creepy anyway so maybe he'll do an incredible job, I'm just unsure as to whether to wait for cinema release or Blu-ray...

I never saw Suicide Squad, it didn't really catch my interest and then the reviews were horrible for the exact reasons I suspected. Jered Leto is a great actor though and based on the clips that I've seen of him as his Joker, I'd say it was mainly the script, film design and direction that were the real issues which ruined the movie.

There's a select few superhero flicks that truly resonate with me and one of those films is The Dark Knight and that has mostly everything to do with Heath Ledger's Joker for me.
I was definitely one of those who gushed over his portrayal lol. I loved the dark, grungy, and twisted take on the Joker character and never realized just how intricate the character was- or could be. The film had a sense of realism and also played up the psychological issues with the character which made me want to know more.

I think the new Joker movie is that origin story I’ve been looking for- the direction and talent involved has me hyped up and I feel like Phoenix's Joker follows closely to Ledger's in terms of the dark psychological aspects. The face paint used in the new movie even reminds me a lot of the Joker mask used in the beginning of Dark Knight during the iconic bank robbing scene.

I love this statement. Not cause I care about the movie. I don't. But it sounds like such a joker thing to say. I just imagine you laughing while everyone else flees a hurricane, but the watery destruction paints a smile on your face as twisted yet enthralling as those old Ronald McDonald statues in 90's McDonald's restaurants.

:lol:
Get outta my head!

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't know how I feel about Joker yet. I'm not a fan of the generic clown face paint and hope that by at least the end of the film, we see more of a traditional look. But from what we've seen, I just don't see The Joker. We see him doing the laugh and it's spot on, we see him in his Joker or proto-Joker getup and he's being evil and dancing around like he's free and I just don't get a Joker vibe from it.

I don't want Joker to be relatable, I don't want him to use the clown persona as some kind of alter ego, and I most definitely don't want him to be portrayed as a sympathetic anti-hero. I want his story to be tragic and I want him to mentally break as a result from that tragedy, and be completely irredeemable due to his chaotic and monstrous actions. I want him to do things that make the audience uncomfortable and stop viewing Joker as some cool and intelligent antithesis to Batman, but as what he is, a sick man.

We have yet to hear his Joker voice and the only time we do hear him speak as Joker, he just sounds like Arthur Fleck. What worries me most, is that I feel like this movie won't actually give us The Joker. I feel like even in his clown paint, he's still just Arthur Fleck and not a man who's been broken and went completely insane and just wants to inflict chaos. I feel like the clown makeup is just an alter ego he uses to commit crimes and give us the illusion of Joker before he's actually The Joker we all know.

I think Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor and perfect for the role, and given the film's inspirations, and the whole premise being that of a cautionary tale, it all just sounds like a recipe for success. I think the people behind it have a lot of passion for this film and I dig that. I don't mind that they take certain liberties with this as Joker never really had a definitive origin story, so it'll be interesting to see where they go with this. But, I'm also worried that they might take too many liberties with the character and just end up making a movie that could have literally been about any generic character who they're just trying to pass off as Joker to make it marketable.

The movie definitely looks like it's gonna be great regardless, but as a fan of the character, the way they portray the Joker is either gonna make or break the movie for me. Hopefully it just ends up that I'm reading too much into the out of context scenes in the trailers, and hopefully they've saved all the best parts for the movie and prove they know what they were doing, because I really like the concept of this film and want it to live up to its potential, as it could open a door for even more original and unique elseworld films from DC.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Goku and Piccolo are technically illegal aliens that spend their time killing other illegal aliens for threatening their neighborhood. DBZ is basically just Street Justice and Gang Violence with laser powers.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I just finished this anime series called Dirty Pair and I loved it! The episodic nature of the show offers the chance for tons of shenanigans and wacky adventures. Yuri and Kei are unique from one another and their camaraderie is really where the show shines. Cheif Gooley’s utter exasperation with the two never gets old. I honestly don’t even know which of the two I like better. Their constant bickering and different idiosyncrasies that best friends have with one another are captured so well, you really can’t have one without the other. Yeah, you may prefer Kei’s brash nature and vulgar speech pattern. Or maybe you’re the type that like’s your girl quiet, intellectual, and when she does throw barbs, they’re sure to stick, you'd prefer Yuri. But neither one works in this show without playing off the other. And they do that SO well. If someone asked me who my favorite duo was in anime. I very well would have had to say Yuri and Kei easily ties with Reuenthal and Mittermeyer from Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
latest

Rain611

You can't kill me.
This reminds me, I couldn't find Psycho Pass on Crunchy Roll <.<. I ended up watching Working!! (My husband says I watch the weirdest shows.) and I really liked it. There's an episode where the main character's odd phobia is explained (which is important to the plot) that really hit me in the feels for reasons I won't go into right now. Also, it seems all the animes I actually like only have one season. :/

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma. As a just-for-fun writer, I've conceptualized and even written full story outlines for several fan projects of mine across various forms of media. These include a hypothetical Resident Evil spin-off game featuring Jill and Claire (which I believe is LONG overdue, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way), a hypothetical Dino Crisis reboot with a redesigned Regina much like the one TReboot Lara got and hypothetical Godzilla 2014 sequels after the Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah acquisition announcement was made at SDCC 2014 (no Godzilla vs. Kong outline, though, since it was before that movie was even announced).

And now, I believe I have this amazing concept for a movie. It's a futuristic vampire movie based loosely on the Dracula mythos with some Lovecraftian and prophetic themes thrown in for good measure. It's basically a retelling of the Bram Stoker mythos leading into the main (present) story years in the future. I submitted a movie poster (that I made with PAINT.net) on my Deviantart page with all my casting, character and production crew ideas.

I truly believe I have something (potentially) great and fairly unique in my hands with some cool action scene ideas never seen before in film, but it saddens me to know it'll never see the light of day being that I don't live in California, meaning I could never get in touch with any Hollywood producers/directors/execs to pitch this. :cry: I also still don't have ALL the plot details worked out in full sequential order for me to write a script treatment (it'd actually be pretty complicated being that there's a lot of exposition/backstory).

Here it is for those of you interested (I tried not to be TOO spoilery in the bios while making sure everything makes sense). Yes, I would LIKE for this to be a gritty R-rated flick with no creative limitations (and if you read the character bios, you know that I have some pretty "dark" stuff outlined for it, which makes sense given that it's a vampire story), but I have a good sense of what would have to be cut/toned down to "reach the widest audience possible" (and added back in for an R/Unrated Director's Cut on home video) should it fall through, you know how it is with film studios these days. And it would have to be through Universal since they're the ones who own the Van Helsing/Dracula IP.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
University is getting expensive and the girl hasn't even gone yet...and by the time she leaves she will be £54k in debt.

At least it ain't gonna be my debt.

But still, university is costing me far more than I bargained for...

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma. As a just-for-fun writer, I've conceptualized and even written full story outlines for several fan projects of mine across various forms of media. These include a hypothetical Resident Evil spin-off game featuring Jill and Claire (which I believe is LONG overdue, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way), a hypothetical Dino Crisis reboot with a redesigned Regina much like the one TReboot Lara got and hypothetical Godzilla 2014 sequels after the Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah acquisition announcement was made at SDCC 2014 (no Godzilla vs. Kong outline, though, since it was before that movie was even announced).

And now, I believe I have this amazing concept for a movie. It's a futuristic vampire movie based loosely on the Dracula mythos with some Lovecraftian and prophetic themes thrown in for good measure. It's basically a retelling of the Bram Stoker mythos leading into the main (present) story years in the future. I submitted a movie poster (that I made with PAINT.net) on my Deviantart page with all my casting, character and production crew ideas.

I truly believe I have something (potentially) great and fairly unique in my hands with some cool action scene ideas never seen before in film, but it saddens me to know it'll never see the light of day being that I don't live in California, meaning I could never get in touch with any Hollywood producers/directors/execs to pitch this. :cry: I also still don't have ALL the plot details worked out in full sequential order for me to write a script treatment (it'd actually be pretty complicated being that there's a lot of exposition/backstory).

Here it is for those of you interested (I tried not to be TOO spoilery in the bios while making sure everything makes sense). Yes, I would LIKE for this to be a gritty R-rated flick with no creative limitations (and if you read the character bios, you know that I have some pretty "dark" stuff outlined for it, which makes sense given that it's a vampire story), but I have a good sense of what would have to be cut/toned down to "reach the widest audience possible" (and added back in for an R/Unrated Director's Cut on home video) should it fall through, you know how it is with film studios these days. And it would have to be through Universal since they're the ones who own the Van Helsing/Dracula IP.

As aggravating as it may be to think that a cool concept/story will never see the light of day because of bloated and gluttonous Hollywood, I think its pretty cool that you are at least successfully writing out stories. Hollywood is overrated anyway, though maybe if your ideas land in the right hands it could lead to bigger things? Sadly that industry is all about who you know and even though you don't live out in Cali or New York, maybe there is a really good site for networking like that?

I disappointed myself with 2 years off from school (only working full time) and I didn't even manage to write a single story out. I always have ideas for stories that I think would be fun- even just for fanfiction sake, but I never managed to make time and properly write them out to their fullest potential. When I do sit down to write, I get in the bad habit of revising as I go so I literally get nowhere. I've only recently started feeling like myself though in the last few months so maybe that desire to write will kick back in. I've thought about doing some type of creative writing course to help work out some better techniques but then again I'd hate to toss more money towards any more courses than necessary. This graduate degree is gonna put me in enough debt as it already is.

Edit:

One of the best things to happen to me this year was buying my puppy, Arthur. Got him back in February and I've learned a lot about myself with him in my life. I never really considered myself a dog person before him, I've had family dogs and of course loved them, but always chalked myself up as more of a cat person. But then this little ball of hair came into my life! :p

h8hoPVE.jpg

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.

I write in my full time as well and when I get the chance I make a short film here and there. I was always told to write/produce what you'd like to see made. So yea. Make it yourself and have fun :D.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
@bSTAR_182 - the cat in the background though...just...staring...right...through...Arthur.

CT: flea season is destroying me. Hoping this new bug spray plus vacuuming every day plus treating the cat plus screaming occasionally will help. Haven't had an infestation like this in a couple of years and I have bites the size of 10p coins all over me

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Seems we have a lot of aspiring filmmakers in this forum. I'm one myself, and I know everything about the hardships of writing because that's where everything starts. Sometimes you ask yourself if what you're writing is good enough, and sometimes you question your ability to write at all.

My biggest problem is writing new stories all the time on a single piece of A4, stories which I feel I really really good. But most of the time I never get past that second A4. It's a shame.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
This reminds me, I couldn't find Psycho Pass on Crunchy Roll <.<. I ended up watching Working!! (My husband says I watch the weirdest shows.) and I really liked it. There's an episode where the main character's odd phobia is explained (which is important to the plot) that really hit me in the feels for reasons I won't go into right now. Also, it seems all the animes I actually like only have one season. :/
I haven't seen Working!!!, but I've heard it's really good. I actually just started Love is Hard for an Otaku last night, and it's been adorable. It'll definitely be finished tonight.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I haven't seen Working!!!, but I've heard it's really good. I actually just started Love is Hard for an Otaku last night, and it's been adorable. It'll definitely be finished tonight.

I've not seen that one. I'm currently between animes again because I finished Working!! a couple days ago sadly :(. I started watching another one that started out really interesting but then it took a nose dive into cliche so I'm looking around again.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I've not seen that one. I'm currently between animes again because I finished Working!! a couple days ago sadly :(. I started watching another one that started out really interesting but then it took a nose dive into cliche so I'm looking around again.
Well, I just finished a DOPE anime movie if ya want a recommendation and like Sci-Fi.

Top Bottom