• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? (Part 2)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
What exactly does Sonic look like in our world? Sonic isn't real. Whoever came up with that awful design sure as f*ck doesn't know either. Sonic isn't from our world, so making him look like a real man in a onsie is retarded. Sonic is Sonic and he doesn't need to be changed to "fit" into our world. Just like Pokemon didn't need to change. Just like the Looney Tunes didn't need to change. The Smurfs, the Ninja Turtles, etc.
qiq3ih1e071rfzww4kay.jpg

As a Sonic fan, probably one of the first games I EVER played, I know which one I'd rather go see.

That is all.
The easiest way to say this is, When you compare the Sonic from the movie, to the Sonic in the games, their design is more similar than it is different. Plain and simple. We may not Like it...But they are more similar than they are different. And in my opinion, if they went for a version that was exactly the same as the game, it wouldn't look like it fits naturally in that world. Sonic is an alien in the movie. (Like he is in several other forms of canon), so personally, I think it makes sense that he looked the way he did. He's running over 700 mph in the trailer. Using that basic biology, it makes sense that he has calf muscles that make ya go "Dayum."

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
What exactly does Sonic look like in our world? Sonic isn't real. Whoever came up with that awful design sure as f*ck doesn't know either. Sonic isn't from our world, so making him look like a real man in a onsie is retarded. Sonic is Sonic and he doesn't need to be changed to "fit" into our world. Just like Pokemon didn't need to change. Just like the Looney Tunes didn't need to change. The Smurfs, the Ninja Turtles, etc.

Sorry KK, but I have to disagree with you here.

I think it's comparing two different things when you're talking about making concessions between a book and a movie, and comparing how a video game character looks in a movie. Yes, there are concessions to be made in book-to-screen adaptations, but with books, there's very rarely a visual element. Everything is created in the reader's imagination, and not all events from a book can be included in a movie, purely because it would cost too much and the movie would be too long.

When it comes to something as fundamental as to how a character looks in a video-game-to-movie adaptation, concessions can't really be made. The character has to look as iconic as it does in the game. Yes, of course, it's an adaptation so you can't just plonk a CGI character in a live-action world, but the recreation has to be very, very similar to the original. It's only natural that there are going to be complaints if it's too different.

I don't think we can even use the excuse of saying it's what Sonic would look like were he in our world, purely because in real life, there's no such thing as alien, sneaker-wearing blue hedgehogs that run at the speed of sound. Nobody is going to think 'Oh, this is what alien, super-fast, sneaker-wearing blue hedgehogs that run at the speed of sound look like in reality' because there's no such thing. Therefore, you have to go with the visual that people have already because that's all they know. That's all they can relate it to. That's what their nostalgia and love of the character are based upon. If you're making a movie, you can't just take the most basic elements of Sonic (i.e. that he's blue and wears sneakers) and morph it into something else entirely.

I think the design of Sonic was awful. For some reason, they really elongated his body, but reduced the big facial features of Sonic's that we know and love. He just looks very weird, and as @Turo602 said above, there are fan creations that are way more true to Sonic but also don't look out of place. I mean, I'm not gonna watch the movie anyway because I think it looks terrible (Jim Carrey is just so cringey as Eggman), and I don't like the whole 'let's make this movie about the human world and make a story about Sonic bend to it' approach. But when it comes to a fundamental thing like how Sonic looks, it has to be done right.

The easiest way to say this is, When you compare the Sonic from the movie, to the Sonic in the games, their design is more similar than it is different. Plain and simple. We may not Like it...But they are more similar than they are different. And in my opinion, if they went for a version that was exactly the same as the game, it wouldn't look like it fits naturally in that world. Sonic is an alien in the movie. It makes sense that he looks humanoid, like a carbon based complex life form, that honestly has more human traits than hedgehog traits even in the games, so personally, I think it makes sense that he looked the way he did. Plus...He's running over 700 mph in the trailer. Using that basic biology, it makes sense that he has calf muscles that make ya go "Dayum

Turo602

The King of Kings
The easiest way to say this is, When you compare the Sonic from the movie, to the Sonic in the games, their design is more similar than it is different. Plain and simple. We may not Like it...But they are more similar than they are different. And in my opinion, if they went for a version that was exactly the same as the game, it wouldn't look like it fits naturally in that world. Sonic is an alien in the movie. It makes sense that he looks humanoid, like a carbon based complex life form, that honestly has more human traits than hedgehog traits even in the games, so personally, I think it makes sense that he looked the way he did. Plus...He's running over 700 mph in the trailer. Using that basic biology, it makes sense that he has calf muscles that make ya go "Dayum

If you wanted to lie to us, sure. The most he has in common is he's blue, he has red shoes, he has spikes, and that's it. You can literally make thousands of designs with that information. The differences, big and small, outweigh the basic similarities. And again, the realistic argument doesn't work because he's not real and the fact that they felt they had to make him "realistic" means this isn't actually Sonic then, therefore I have no interest in seeing some guy's personal raping of the character. I'll side with the creator and devs on this one. Movie looks trash.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
If you wanted to lie to us, sure. The most he has in common is he's blue, he has red shoes, he has spikes, and that's it. You can literally make thousands of designs with that information. The differences, big and small, outweigh the basic similarities. And again, the realistic argument doesn't work because he's not real and the fact that they felt they had to make him "realistic" means this isn't actually Sonic then, therefore I have no interest in seeing some guy's personal raping of the character. I'll side with the creator and devs on this one. Movie looks trash.
To be fair, his attitude and voice are on point as well. I'm not saying it's ideal. I'm not saying it's perfect. And honestly I'm on board with the everything being redesigned lol. I'm just saying, even if they hadn't done a redesign, that doesn't automatically mean the film would have been bad. And that I, along with many MANY other people, would have gone and seen it anyway. Currently that doesn't really matter. He is getting redesigned. And I think that's the right move. I just think people were way to harsh. It was still, from Trailers alone, a million times more faithful to the source material than Dragon Ball Evolution :lol:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I'm thinking it's way too early to be awake. Our equipment at work broke for a couple of days and now I'm getting ready to go in 2 hours early for the second 10 hour shift this week to make up for all the time I lost when our equipment was broken. Luckily tomorrow will be a lot easier with just an 8.5 hour day.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
That the anime I'm watching is so overwhelmingly average, that it's biggest strength is that it makes me want to play Dungeons & Dragons. That's how average it is. It makes me want to do something else, because it's doing what the something else does, and not as well. It's not even BAD! It's just...There...I'm gonna finish though. I'm so close to the end.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
That the anime I'm watching is so overwhelmingly average, that it's biggest strength is that it makes me want to play Dungeons & Dragons. That's how average it is. It makes me want to do something else, because it's doing what the something else does, and not as well. It's not even BAD! It's just...There...I'm gonna finish though. I'm so close to the end.
I learned something new, I did not know that "average" could be an overwhelming quality. :D

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Seven years for me as of today! :smile:

CT: You know, I'm really glad I discovered this MostAmazingTop10 channel on YouTube. It gives me something slightly uncanny to watch every night. But... how dare they rank the top 10 scariest deities in history and only put me in number 9?? Looks like my reputation could use some work after all these years. Someone hold my soft drink while I'm out forcing innocent people to play the unpatched PC version of Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. They shall fear me again!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I SUPER LOVE watching those Top 10 videos. I used to watch 3 or 4 every night. My nephew and I would watch things like "Top 10 LARGEST CREATURES TO EVER EXIST" and "Top 10 MORTAL KOMBAT FATALITIES"... clearly by 2 different channels. haha.

Going to inspect my potential future home today and SUPER excited!

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
CT: Why does holiday time always go so quickly?

When I put my out-of-office email on before I went away, I thought to myself 'Wow. Two and a half weeks off. That's ages!'. Then I think I blinked maybe three times and suddenly I have less than a week left.

Why's it gotta go so quickly?! :sad:

EDIT:

Going to inspect my potential future home today and SUPER excited!
Hope it's all you want it to be!

CT2: I've just realised that you can highlight a specific part of someone else's post, and it'll give you the option to quote/reply to just that part. Why am I only just realising this now?! I'm so dumb! :lol:

Top Bottom