• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? General Gaming Edition!

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Oh dear, that GoW trophy. The Valkyrie Queen made me rage so hard. Worse than Final Nemmy even. I do love that trophy. Its funny I tend to get the platinums that require sweat and tears while my husband go for the ones like TellTale where you just have to complete the game to get one. He goes for quantity over quality while I'm the opposite.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
So I just realized TLoU2 and the ESO expansion both come out in June (my birthday is in June so I have an excuse to splurge). As much as I like the original TLoU, those spoilers have me kinda iffy so I would rather buy 2 copies of ESO (so my husband and I can continue to play together) than 1 copy of TLoU2.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I heard rumors that the TLoU2 Spoilers are not correct. I don't know. I didn't check them out because I am definitely looking forward to getting the game in June. I might wait a little because my backlog right now is insane.

I didn't have time for the Valkyrie Queen. I almost got her... and then I tried to get too wild with my combos and got destroyed. So, I switched to easy to get the Platinum. A cheat, sure, but I feel no guilt about it... anymore. haha

Awebb

I didn't find it particularly hard to avoid those spoilers so far. Haven't had a major spoiler since Silent Hill 2 and I usually don't play games early in their lifetime.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Replaying it after five years or so, I find that Alice: Madness Returns isn't quite as good as I remember it. It's buggy, the controls are a nightmare, most Wonderland levels drag on forever while the London sections are too short and uneventful, the story doesn't really kick off until the 3rd level or so, and even then it can be summed up in one sentence if you leave out all the filler material.

I still enjoy it, though, and I absolutely have to praise the creativity that went into it! Conventional swords and guns are cool and all, but what other game lets you attack enemies with a pepper mill and a teapot? The dresses are very nice too, each with its own little (and sometimes not so little) benefit, the music and sound design are top-notch, and despite the gameplay getting repetitive after a while, it still has some unique moments like the one in the fourth level when Alice grows big and you get to stomp around in the queen's castle.

I think what prevented this game from becoming a true masterpiece is the same problem that befalls many games these days: the developers not being given enough time and/or resources to perfect it. I know for a fact that the London sections were supposed to have proper gameplay and a stronger story component originally, involving Alice fleeing from the police because of a murder that she may or may not have committed herself, but that was cut along with many other planned features. I can only imagine how awesome the game could have been with those implemented.

But yeah, all that aside, Alice: Madness Returns will forever have a special place in my heart for its creativity alone. (And for being based on one of my favourite fairy tales, of course.)

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Pokemon Snap 2 is actually HYPE. I don't know if a lot of people will appreciate it. but I sure golly do. I will absolutely borrow my brothers Switch to play this game when it comes out. Or 2 player it with him and my nephew!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
The thing about Pokemon SNAP is that you have to solve puzzles on how to get each pokemon on the track. Some pokemon are hidden. Some are in the open. Some interact with others to create better shots. Some of the tracks have secret locations and paths to them. But the real addiction is trying to get the best shots of a pokemon and get them to do a different behavior and hear Professor Oak say... "WOW!" You can go through certain levels 10-20 times without knowing how to get shots of all of the pokemon and when you finally figure out how many apples or pester balls to throw to get the pokemon to evolve/come out/attack - you feel overwhelming satisfaction.

It is fun. It is relaxing. You can play it with your 3 year old niece or your 90 year old grandma. And I hope they have additional mechanics in the new game!

Awebb

I don't understand hype for Pokemon Snap. All you do is take pictures of Pokemon. Can't you do that with Pokemon Go?

Snap is basically shooter where nothing dies. It's not like those Pokemon are just sitting there, waiting for you to get a shot.

Photography is extremely important in Japanese culture (or at least used to be). Games like Monster Hunter World have not only photo modes but entire photo side quest systems. In MHW, you're tasked with making all kinds of photos, including snapshots of monsters attacking you, being trapped, etc. Half the charm of Beyond Good & Evil was getting snapshots of everything.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Maybe it would be boring if you didn't grow up with it. I think it was the best N64 era Pokemon game and was far better than Stadium. I am honestly thinking about buying an entire Switch just for THIS game since I have dreamed about it for almost 20 years now.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Don't get me wrong, I remember when it came out, I just need a little more excitement than Professor Oak saying 'wow' when you take a good picture lol.

That being said...

CT: My tendonitis is coming back again so I have to majorly cut back the amount of time I spend playing video games and that makes me sad. Hopefully this time I can wrangle it before I need a steroid shot since the doc said I'll no longer get shots (I've had to get two because working in a kitchen is apparently really bad for tendonitis.) and instead if I can't get the swelling to go down by myself (which I've only managed once), I will be visiting a surgeon. Soooo, as many good things as I've heard about that surgery and how well it works, I really don't want to have surgery 3 months into a new career.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Good luck with your Tendonitis. That is really unfortunate timing, but luckily, surgery makes it much better if you have to go that route. My Aunt had severe Carpal Tunnels and after a few cortizone shots a year, they finally ended up doing surgery. She was out of work for 3-4 weeks, but when she came back, she was a new person. She is our receptionist and corporate chef, so it was noticeable how much more capable she was when she returned. That was 3 years ago and she hasn't had any issues since.

I think I'm going to start saying, "Aw, Pokemon SNAP" instead of, "Aw, Snap!" just to increase my excitement and eventual letdown when it doesn't perfectly recapture my youth. haha

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Mine is in my left elbow. I'm getting hints of it in my right elbow too but I'm cutting back on any and all things that irritate either elbow. My brother has tendonitis in both elbows and wrists. No fun.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I just finished playing through The Last of Us Part II and oh boy, it's instilled some conflicting emotions and this review will surely reflect those mixed feelings.
I actually don't hate the vengeance plot as a follow up story but I do think that a story of this caliber would have been better conveyed over the course of two games rather than crammed into one game that relies heavily on flashbacks and jumping around the timeline. It's part of the reason why Ellie felt out of character so often for me. Another issue that I have is how bleak the story is from beginning to end. Even the first game left you feeling sort of hopeful for the characters despite its controversial ending. While the gameplay of Part II is fun, the story is not fun and I know the developers mentioned this before the game was released and they weren't kidding. It's part of the reason why I went a few days without bothering to play it. I would probably rate this game around a 6.5/10 (I'd give the first game a 9/10 for reference).

I want to elaborate a bit on my thoughts of Abby: as much as I'd like to sit here and say I hate Abby, I don't. I actually really loved her character's development. That being said however, seeing things in her perspective did not change how I feel about Joel's death being a tragedy. Abby's portion of the game simply made me admire her more for being such a strong character who also seems to lose herself after her quest for vengeance. And despite what some people think about ND trying to convey her as this sort of "perfect" character who can do no wrong; who makes Joel and Ellie look bad, I didn't really get that impression. I saw things in the opposite, as Abby is practically Joel's equal. She is just as much a ruthless killer to Scars as Joel was a killer as a hunter/smuggler. I also think that some people failed to see that her decisions for seeking vengeance against Joel began to weigh on her emotionally at the end too as she wasn't as smug about it at the end as some people have interpreted.

The entire ending, however, felt like the most rushed part of the game which is disappointing after playing through 20+ hours to feel that way about the ending. The setting of Santa Barbara was really awesome and its inhabitants seemed like a great threat that could have been developed further and I wish they would have elaborated on this part of the game more than they did others.

Something else that bothered me about the ending wasn't even the fact that Ellie backs out of killing Abby necessarily, but why she backs out of killing her. It took Abby biting off Ellie's guitar-playing fingers for Ellie to realize killing her wouldn't be worth it... It's just stupid.

Perhaps making Abby appear even more banged up and abused, to elicit more sympathy from Ellie, would have been the better story direction to go with if they were always planning to have Ellie make a complete 180 in going through with killing her. It’s already a risky decision to have the character not follow through with seeking vengeance when the whole story is built around that one goal, so at least give the player a solid reason for deciding to not go through with it. An exchange of words between the two strong characters would have aided in making the entire encounter feel less bleak. IDK, the ending is lacking though and, considering how the rest of the game is emotionally draining, it would have been nice to see Ellie left with some peace of mind and even some further development of Tommy.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I FINALLY BEAT AC ODYSSEY LAST NIGHT and IMMEDIATELY started the first 5 minutes of The Last Of Us 2. I can't wait to really sink in to it and see what it has to offer. I don't remember seeing more of a divisive title in my life. Some people swear by it. Some people despise it. I know nothing about it yet and I can't wait!

I am ready for the gruesome death scenes and bleak story. Luckily, I have RE6 on the docket after TLoU2 to cleanse the pallet with something a little silly. haha.

Mr.R

So, those last few days I've been watching a let's play from SH4 from Gab Smolders (Girlgamer Gab) and....the game doesn't seem as annoying as I remember when I played. Maybe back then there was something that bothered me, but watching the gameplay...it kinda makes me want to try the game one more time (I only finished SH4 once and never picked up again).

Also, I had forgotten how good this game looks. SH4 almost looks like an early PS3 game in some aspects. It's a very pretty game.

I might try SH4 again soon...maybe my opinion will change. It won't beat 2 and 3, but that's a tall order anyway.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I've always heard good things about SH4 but I never got to play it myself. I need to get around to watching somebody play it.

Top Bottom