• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? General Gaming Edition!

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
^We'll see. I'm still sceptical so I'll just wait until the game's been out for a while so I can listen to what others think.

In all honestly, it looks too bland for my taste. There's nothing in it that I haven't already seen in other Star Wars games, comics, TV shows, etc. Besides, I really hate what the new Lucasfilm group has done to the Jedi between Episode 3 and 4. It's basically beyond saving at this point.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
^We'll see. I'm still sceptical so I'll just wait until the game's been out for a while so I can listen to what others think.

In all honestly, it looks too bland for my taste. There's nothing in it that I haven't already seen in other Star Wars games, comics, TV shows, etc. Besides, I really hate what the new Lucasfilm group has done to the Jedi between Episode 3 and 4. It's basically beyond saving at this point.

I don't get how comics or TV shows are relevant to what a game does, or how it even takes away from its "originality" when Star Wars itself isn't really original anymore and should stay within certain boundaries when being adapted into different mediums.

As far as games go, I personally haven't given a sh*t for any Star Wars game prior to The Force Unleashed because they've all looked terrible or didn't have what I wanted from a Star Wars game, which is being a lightsaber wielding badass with force powers in a traditional single player story. This game definitely doesn't look original, but it's taking elements from some very amazing games and setting it within the Star Wars universe. As a Zelda, Metroid, and Star Wars fan, I couldn't ask for more. Best looking Star Wars thing in the last 5 years.

Jonipoon

I don't get how comics or TV shows are relevant to what a game does, or how it even takes away from its "originality" when Star Wars itself isn't really original anymore and should stay within certain boundaries when being adapted into different mediums.

As far as games go, I personally haven't given a sh*t for any Star Wars game prior to The Force Unleashed because they've all looked terrible or didn't have what I wanted from a Star Wars game, which is being a lightsaber wielding badass with force powers in a traditional single player story. This game definitely doesn't look original, but it's taking elements from some very amazing games and setting it within the Star Wars universe. As a Zelda, Metroid, and Star Wars fan, I couldn't ask for more. Best looking Star Wars thing in the last 5 years.
Of course its relevant. Just because it takes place in the Star Wars universe doesn't mean you can't come up with original stuff that hasn't been done before, while still staying true to already established lore. The prequel trilogy certainly didn't ripoff the original trilogy and it still managed to expand on the Star Wars universe with some amazing world-building, no matter how terrible some of the dialogue was. And even though I think the 2008 TCW series is pretty good, the stories presented in that show is nothing compared to the much more sophisticated Clone Wars stories produced by Dark Horse comics between 2003-2006.

This game doesn't look like its taking any risks (unless you count single player-only and no microtransactions as being a risk these days) and that's why it comes off as bland.

Perhaps we're looking for different things, but I honestly couldn't care less about realistic lightsaber mechanics. If the story and characters sucks, no gameplay in the world can save it.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Of course its relevant. Just because it takes place in the Star Wars universe doesn't mean you can't come up with original stuff that hasn't been done before, while still staying true to already established lore. The prequel trilogy certainly didn't ripoff the original trilogy and it still managed to expand on the Star Wars universe with some amazing world-building, no matter how terrible some of the dialogue was. And even though I think the 2008 TCW series is pretty good, the stories presented in that show is nothing compared to the much more sophisticated Clone Wars stories produced by Dark Horse comics between 2003-2006.

This game doesn't look like its taking any risks (unless you count single player-only and no microtransactions as being a risk these days) and that's why it comes off as bland.

Perhaps we're looking for different things, but I honestly couldn't care less about realistic lightsaber mechanics. If the story and characters sucks, no gameplay in the world can save it.

Not that I don't agree with your sentiment, because I definitely agree with it if we're strictly talking films, but I just don't think it's completely relevant when you're talking about an entirely different medium. Not everyone reads the comics and novels that are ultimately meaningless to the major canon such as film, TV, and in this case, video games.

A video game shouldn't have to worry about distinguishing itself from a completely separate and obscure part of Star Wars, and just because a certain kind of story may exist elsewhere in the canon, doesn't mean it can never be used again or is somehow automatically "bland." Which btw, we must have completely different definitions of. Nothing should ever have to be "risky" to be considered good.

I personally care more about playing a great and fun Star Wars game, than playing a game that would rather be a movie. In what world is emulating games like The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Dark Souls make a game bland?

Jonipoon

@Turo602 Well, you said it yourself. Not everyone reads the comics and novels, and the exact same can be applied to the TV shows and video games. Although a higher percentage of people overall play the games compared to reading the comics, they're still a tiny minority compared to the large mass of people that watch the feature films in the cinema. And who said the video games are part of the major canon? Star Wars video games have almost always been about alternate stories that takes place in What If scenarios. Now there's been a rumor that claims that Jedi: Fallen Order is in fact part of the canon, which could actually be a bad thing since that means they have to limit themselves to what surviving Jedi are able to accomplish between Ep 3 and 4 (although I'm not sure if that claim was legit or not).

But I'm not trying to sound like a crazy EU fan. It's totally fine to lend stuff from other work and make it your own thing, however when something is all about lending stuff and not making it enough of your own thing - that what makes something look bland to me. I absolutely agree with you on the fact that something doesn't have to be risky to be good, likewise weirder doesn't mean better. I think it's just a shame that originality is considered risky nowadays.

That being said, I'll just wait and see once the game is out. I read an interview that said Respawn has deliberately been hiding lots of stuff from the trailers (which could mean anything really).

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I just played 2064: Read Only Memories last night and I'm still gushing about it. Probably the cutest point and click game I have every played. I love Turing, they are objectively the best companion in any video game ever. And I must protect their robotic smile always.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
@Turo602 Well, you said it yourself. Not everyone reads the comics and novels, and the exact same can be applied to the TV shows and video games. Although a higher percentage of people overall play the games compared to reading the comics, they're still a tiny minority compared to the large mass of people that watch the feature films in the cinema. And who said the video games are part of the major canon? Star Wars video games have almost always been about alternate stories that takes place in What If scenarios. Now there's been a rumor that claims that Jedi: Fallen Order is in fact part of the canon, which could actually be a bad thing since that means they have to limit themselves to what surviving Jedi are able to accomplish between Ep 3 and 4 (although I'm not sure if that claim was legit or not).

But I'm not trying to sound like a crazy EU fan. It's totally fine to lend stuff from other work and make it your own thing, however when something is all about lending stuff and not making it enough of your own thing - that what makes something look bland to me. I absolutely agree with you on the fact that something doesn't have to be risky to be good, likewise weirder doesn't mean better. I think it's just a shame that originality is considered risky nowadays.

That being said, I'll just wait and see once the game is out. I read an interview that said Respawn has deliberately been hiding lots of stuff from the trailers (which could mean anything really).

I get what you're saying, but he's not wrong: Respawn has a pretty good track record with their games, so I'm holding out hope for this one. They haven't been infected by EA's corporate greed yet.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Aaaaaand just when you thought Bethesda couldn't possibly f*ck up Fallout 76 (or just f*ck up in general) any more than they already have, they've just announced a $100 annual subscription for the game.

source.gif

Charging $100 a year for a broken, buggy, half-baked game that nobody plays? For some in-game currency, emotes and exclusive in-game store items? Get the f*ck out of here! This after lying about MTXs being cosmetic only and all the other BS they pulled.

Bethesda, the gift that keeps on giving.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
And I thought shelling out 70 dollars for a season pass for my brother was bad enough, I'd lose the will to live if I had to pay 100 dollars annually for Fallout 76.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Wow. Death Stranding reviews are proving why being a video game reviewer is just a meaningless job that any fanboy can have. Kojima is highly overrated and I can see why Konami got rid of him. What a joke.

Anyway, been playing Luigi's Mansion 3 and it's just so goddamn enjoyable. I'm hooked. At least Nintendo understands video games are supposed to be fun.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Wow. Death Stranding reviews are proving why being a video game reviewer is just a meaningless job that any fanboy can have. Kojima is highly overrated and I can see why Konami got rid of him. What a joke.

Anyway, been playing Luigi's Mansion 3 and it's just so goddamn enjoyable. I'm hooked. At least Nintendo understands video games are supposed to be fun.
I'll wait until the public gets the final say. But in all honesty, I've never played a Kojima game and I always feared this game was going to be a massive walking simulator.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'll wait until the public gets the final say. But in all honesty, I've never played a Kojima game and I always feared this game was going to be a massive walking simulator.

The public is just as bad with how badly they want to defend the game from negative reviews. Kojima was never anything special. He made archaic and convoluted games when he really wanted to make movies and Death Stranding is proof that Kojima is overrated. He got lucky with Metal Gear Solid, but even after Splinter Cell, he never caught up.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

It's not often enough that we find common ground, but when we do, we will make it quake beneath us and our opinionated strength...Because F*CK Kojima. Will I give Death Stranding a try before I judge the game itself? Completely. Is he an overrated control freak who will waste a studios time and money, inevitably depriving fans of what they want so he can intellectually jerk off to the praise of the gaming community too stupid to see what they're missing because of his overbearing perfectionist attitude? Also, completely.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
It's not often enough that we find common ground, but when we do, we will make it quake beneath us and our opinionated strength...Because F*CK Kojima. Will I give Death Stranding a try before I judge the game itself? Completely. Is he an overrated control freak who will waste a studios time and money, inevitably depriving fans of what they want so he can intellectually jerk off to the praise of the gaming community too stupid to see what they're missing because of his overbearing perfectionist attitude? Also, completely.

I was willing to give Death Stranding a chance because I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid enough to be interested in whatever the guy does next now that his bread and butter franchise is no longer his. But none of the trailers have been able to blow me away because it's all just cryptic and weird for the sake of it, and the little gameplay we did see all looked the same, which was just walking and climbing ladders. I knew right away I wouldn't pay full price for it, but after some of these reviews, y'know what? It's not for me. F*ck this game. No convoluted story is worth 50+ hours of walking, balancing, stumbling, package delivering, peeing, staring at Norman Reedus' bare ass, and absolute boredom just for a couple of highs in a trippy sci-fi world just because the guy who made Metal Gear Solid made it.

If a game bores you and has repetitive and tedious gameplay that barely qualifies as gameplay, then review scores should reflect that, and not the final moments of the story they just experienced. I swear, that's why games like The Last of Us and Spider-Man get rated so highly. Video games aren't movies, and no matter how good some cutscenes are, reviews should take into consideration the whole package before calling some average games (or in this case, the most expensive delivery guy simulator) masterpieces. It's a goddamn joke.

Jonipoon

The public is just as bad with how badly they want to defend the game from negative reviews. Kojima was never anything special. He made archaic and convoluted games when he really wanted to make movies and Death Stranding is proof that Kojima is overrated. He got lucky with Metal Gear Solid, but even after Splinter Cell, he never caught up.
You know what? Perhaps that's a good idea. There's probably going to be some "complete game movie (all cutscenes)" for Death Stranding on YouTube soon. I'd rather watch that and enjoy the story instead of playing 40 hours of walking/climbing.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
And Bethesda just keeps f*cking up, banning a F076 player for trying to improve the game:

The more BS they pull, the more skeptical I get of Doom Eternal and Elder Scrolls 6. Bethesda, Activision Blizzard and 2K/Take Two are really trying to pry the "most hated company" award away from EA, aren't they?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Doing a rush through Kingdom Hearts Final Mix. I am doing a personal speed run trying to get the trophy for beating the game in under 15 hours and it is looking pretty solid.

I am at 13 hours and am going in to the final world now!

Top Bottom