• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? General Gaming Edition!

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Gotham Knights trailer looks AH-Mazing.:love: I can't wait. I just hope they don't back out of a last gen version last minute like MKX did. Buying a new gaming console isn't even on my shortlist of priorities right now.

The only thing I wish they had done, from what I've seen so far, is have Tim Drake as Red Robin as opposed to Robin. That RR skin from AC was so badass.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
SUPER same. I don't plan on going for PS5 until November 2021 IF the Black Friday deals still exist by then. haha. I super won't mind playing this on PS4 first.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
SUPER same. I don't plan on going for PS5 until November 2021 IF the Black Friday deals still exist by then. haha. I super won't mind playing this on PS4 first.
Not sure if it will, to be honest. I mean Cyber Monday should still be around for sure but more and more stores are electing not to open on Thanksgiving to get a head start and when Walmart passes on money you know there's a crisis.

I dunno I have a feeling Black Friday is going to be entirely dependent on covid and, if cases are spiking, they either won't have it or there will be a line to get into stores as they keep track of capacity.

Good riddance to it. I've always hated it.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I have worked multiple Black Fridays with Borders, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart and I have to say... I loved it. It was always great to bond with my co-workers for a special event. As I am tall and have a tough looking quality to me, I was always on door/line duty at Wal-Mart. I would be out in the ice cold all night with people, laughing for hours. I was even on line duty when I was a manager. I guess they liked the way I did it.

But I do have to say, some places make too much of an event of it and I am glad that no stores are participating in it this year especially with Covid. I would never want to support an event in which people can die for the sake of a good sale. That is the dark side of capitalism. haha.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@UniqTeas Never worked in retail but working in a 24/7/365 restaurant for 6 years I learned to hate the blackout days that you couldn't ask off for, even months in advance. Things like Black Friday, Thanksgiving, Mother's Day and Christmas were mandatory along with overtime for Christmas and, while there was always good money to be made on Christmas and I never really minded it at the time, looking back I wish I could've spent that time with my family. You don't get that time back once your parents are gone.

I don't think companies should be able to force you to choose between spending time with your family or your job. You're open 24/7 anyway, if a handful of days out of the year are going to make or break you, I feel like you have bigger problems.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Well - in ONE of these games - Batman is coming back from the dead. Or not even dead. Probably in both. lol.

Gotham Knights looks amazing, continuity issues aside. The Gameplay Trailer made me really excited to play it. It looks to build on the gameplay of the Arkham games and I love the character designs. I hope there is a lot of distinction between the characters, but that there aren't too many character specific collectibles. I LOVE picking up Riddler Trophies in the the Arkham games, but having to figure out which character I have to switch to to knab the latest collectible will certainly test my patience A LA Donkey Kong 64. haha.

Haven't seen enough of Suicide Squad to know how much I want to play it. I mean, I will definitely be buying it and giving it a shot. But I feel like the presentation for Gotham Knights was much grander and felt more akin to what I am looking for. But then again, fighting an evil Superman with a rag tag group of regular folks is always a fun time. I predict this game will be more about FUN similar to Marvel's Spiderman rather than being closer to the Arkham games. But as more comes out, we'll see.

Actually, Batman isn't in the Suicide Squad game according to leaks OR in Gotham Knights, at least not as a playable character. And they already said the Suicide Squad game is a continuation of the Arkhamverse while Gotham Knights, which sees Bruce recruiting the Bat Family following his "death" (which the Arkham Knight after-credits scene confirms to have been faked) isn't. You'd think it'd be the other way around, but WB aren't exactly known for their sensible decisions.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@KManX89 Yeah I thought it was kind of weird when they said that Gotham Knights had nothing to do with Arkhamverse. It looks like an Arkhamverse game and, everything we know about it - so far - fits in Arkham.

I wonder why they chose to specifically be like: "This has nothing to do with that"? Especially when all the characters have already been in Arkhamverse games and it pretty much seems to follow the lines of what happened after Arkham Knight. :unsure:

Turo602

The King of Kings
It was in the leaks before the game was revealed, but yeah, the fact that the Suicide Squad game is in continuity with Arkham Knight and the game where Batman is presumed dead and you pick up playing as the Bat Family isn't just further highlights how "confusing" WB's decisions are sometimes. Like I said, not having Batman, one of the most prominent members of the Justice League in a game about literally hunting down and killing the Justice League members as the Suicide Squad makes about as much sense as Marvel leaving the X-Men out of MvCI.

It definitely doesn't make sense. If anything, Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights should have established a brand new universe with Gotham Knights serving as a soft reboot that uses the Arkham games as a jumping off point but can ultimately bring Batman back as I doubt he's really dead anyway.

The Suicide Squad game being in continuity with the Arkham games makes Batman's absence valid, but it's also unnecessary in the long run, because if they ever plan on doing a Justice League game in the same universe, you know Batman will have to be in it. So why they didn't just distance themselves from it and establish a new continuity with Gotham Knights is pretty stupid.

The Arkham Knight ending worked for a series ender, but I knew it would cause trouble if they ever tried moving forward which is why I always assumed they'd step away from the Arkham continuity which they're doing but also not? Yeah, stupid.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
It definitely doesn't make sense. If anything, Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights should have established a brand new universe with Gotham Knights serving as a soft reboot that uses the Arkham games as a jumping off point but can ultimately bring Batman back as I doubt he's really dead anyway.

The Suicide Squad game being in continuity with the Arkham games makes Batman's absence valid, but it's also unnecessary in the long run, because if they ever plan on doing a Justice League game in the same universe, you know Batman will have to be in it. So why they didn't just distance themselves from it and establish a new continuity with Gotham Knights is pretty stupid.

The Arkham Knight ending worked for a series ender, but I knew it would cause trouble if they ever tried moving forward which is why I always assumed they'd step away from the Arkham continuity which they're doing but also not? Yeah, stupid.

If anything, the roles should've been reversed: have the Suicide Squad game be in an alternate universe so Batman can still appear as he should (they ARE Batman villains, after all and the '89 Batman logo never appeared in the Arkham games, just sayin') without wrecking the Arkham continuity and, and I shouldn't even have to point this out, but Gotham Knights should've been the game to pick up where Arkham Knight left off, not the other way around. You have the Bat Family taking up Bruce's reigns after he "died", which the AK post-credits scene seems to have confirmed he faked all along (the bat-silhouetted figure had to have been Batman taking out the goons, or it just as easily could've been Red Hood, in which case, it still sets it up perfectly), so it makes perfect sense for Bruce to hire them in the shadows to combat the uprising crime following his "death" while he distances himself from his now tarnished image and life as Batman similar to The Dark Knight Returns' ending.

In fact, it doesn't even have to be one or the other. They could've had them both be set in the Arkhamverse, but made the Suicide Squad game a side story much like the Miles Morales Spider-Man game. It still would've meant no Batman, but Harley could gloss over and address his "death" with the rest of the gang, even casually bring up the superhero team he was apparently apart of as a hook. I believe the goons even referenced Superman and/or Metropolis at one point in Arkham Knight, so it's not like they don't have anything to build off of for an Arkham Knight continuation even if said honor should've belonged to Gotham Knights.

Hell, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they even used the same news clip of the reporter lady reporting his "death" at the end of Arkham Knight in the Gotham Knights trailer, so this will just make it extra confusing for players who are obviously expecting a continuation of the Arkham Knight story. Sure, he's "dead" alright, but his "death" in Arkham Knight technically never happened in this game's timeline like casuals would reasonably expect. Good luck explaining that one to fans who don't read the gaming news sites.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
If anything, the roles should've been reversed: have the Suicide Squad game be in an alternate universe so Batman can still appear as he should (they ARE Batman villains, after all and the '89 Batman logo never appeared in the Arkham games, just sayin') without wrecking the Arkham continuity and, and I shouldn't even have to point this out, but Gotham Knights should've been the game to pick up where Arkham Knight left off, not the other way around. You have the Bat Family taking up Bruce's reigns after he "died", which the AK post-credits scene seems to have confirmed he faked all along (the bat-silhouetted figure had to have been Batman taking out the goons, or it just as easily could've been Red Hood, in which case, it still sets it up perfectly), so it makes perfect sense for Bruce to hire them in the shadows to combat the uprising crime following his "death" while he distances himself from his now tarnished image and life as Batman similar to The Dark Knight Returns' ending.

In fact, it doesn't even have to be one or the other. They could've had them both be set in the Arkhamverse, but made the Suicide Squad game a side story much like the Miles Morales Spider-Man game. It still would've meant no Batman, but Harley could gloss over and address his "death" with the rest of the gang, even casually bring up the superhero team he was apparently apart of as a hook. I believe the goons even referenced Superman and/or Metropolis at one point in Arkham Knight, so it's not like they don't have anything to build off of for an Arkham Knight continuation even if said honor should've belonged to Gotham Knights.

Hell, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they even used the same news clip of the reporter lady reporting his "death" at the end of Arkham Knight in the Gotham Knights trailer, so this will just make it extra confusing for players who are obviously expecting a continuation of the Arkham Knight story. Sure, he's "dead" alright, but his "death" in Arkham Knight technically never happened in this game's timeline like casuals would reasonably expect. Good luck explaining that one to fans who don't read the gaming news sites.

The problem with Gotham Knights being in continuity is like I said, Rocksteady's ending was a definitive end. Everyone knows his identity, therefore he can never be Batman or Bruce Wayne again. He wanted to disappear so he can fight crime in secrecy, and with the fear toxin, he's now a "supernatural"/mythical version of Batman. It's an absurd take that only works as an ending and shouldn't be further explored because it completely ****ters the very foundation of what makes Batman Batman.

Just like it would have been absurd for them to follow up The Dark Knight Rises with a John "Robin" Blake Batman movie. Christopher Nolan ended his film that way because he didn't want anyone to try and continue his series, but of course, WB tried anyway when they tried getting Bale back as Batman for Batman v Superman, which is exactly what they're doing here, while also trying to work around Arkham Knight's conclusive ending.

The story in Gotham Knights uses a similar set up to Arkham Knight's ending, except elements are changed. As far as we know, nobody knows Bruce is Batman and Batman didn't actually fake his death. Gordon also died at some point and the police have become more hostile towards Batman before Bruce's death. We might even get to fight a resurrected Batman in this game which could also be another reason for his exclusion from Suicide Squad.

Which speaking of, I don't buy that WB is trying to protect Batman by not including him in the game. It sounds too much like theory and speculation, when there's evidence to the contrary as you yourself have pointed out with Apokolips War and there's an actual basis for his absence in continuity. But it still seems like a mistake to follow up Arkham Knight with Suicide Squad of all games. They really should have just started a new continuity. There's no reason why the video games should be treated like a cinematic universe.

The Arkham stuff was played out, so I was ready for a different version of Batman that didn't lean too heavily into the whole Arkham Joker thing. Could have had a fresh new story set up with a different art style while still using that Arkham gameplay formula.

As for the news clip, I don't recall there being one in Arkham Knight aside from Vickie Vale reporting on the scene as it happened. The audio in the Gotham Knights trailer never made mention that Bruce was Batman or never stated that Wayne Manor blew up, which are some heavy omissions. They only referenced some big explosion and that a big part of a building came crumbling down.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
The problem with Gotham Knights being in continuity is like I said, Rocksteady's ending was a definitive end. Everyone knows his identity, therefore he can never be Batman or Bruce Wayne again. He wanted to disappear so he can fight crime in secrecy, and with the fear toxin, he's now a "supernatural"/mythical version of Batman. It's an absurd take that only works as an ending and shouldn't be further explored because it completely ****ters the very foundation of what makes Batman Batman.

Just like it would have been absurd for them to follow up The Dark Knight Rises with a John "Robin" Blake Batman movie. Christopher Nolan ended his film that way because he didn't want anyone to try and continue his series, but of course, WB tried anyway when they tried getting Bale back as Batman for Batman v Superman, which is exactly what they're doing here, while also trying to work around Arkham Knight's conclusive ending.

The story in Gotham Knights uses a similar set up to Arkham Knight's ending, except elements are changed. As far as we know, nobody knows Bruce is Batman and Batman didn't actually fake his death. Gordon also died at some point and the police have become more hostile towards Batman before Bruce's death. We might even get to fight a resurrected Batman in this game which could also be another reason for his exclusion from Suicide Squad.

Which speaking of, I don't buy that WB is trying to protect Batman by not including him in the game. It sounds too much like theory and speculation, when there's evidence to the contrary as you yourself have pointed out with Apokolips War and there's an actual basis for his absence in continuity. But it still seems like a mistake to follow up Arkham Knight with Suicide Squad of all games. They really should have just started a new continuity. There's no reason why the video games should be treated like a cinematic universe.

The Arkham stuff was played out, so I was ready for a different version of Batman that didn't lean too heavily into the whole Arkham Joker thing. Could have had a fresh new story set up with a different art style while still using that Arkham gameplay formula.

As for the news clip, I don't recall there being one in Arkham Knight aside from Vickie Vale reporting on the scene as it happened. The audio in the Gotham Knights trailer never made mention that Bruce was Batman or never stated that Wayne Manor blew up, which are some heavy omissions. They only referenced some big explosion and that a big part of a building came crumbling down.

Yup, WB have really backed themselves into a creative corner on this one with the two games. Come to think of it, the only way I see this making any kind of sense is if Gotham Knights is a sort-of alternate ending (non-canon of course) where Bruce is truly dead and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League reveals that Bruce is actually alive or vice-versa in a sort of "shock" ending.

Even then, it would still make more sense for Gotham Knights to be the canon follow-up and SSKTJL as the alternate universe story so the Justice League isn't without one of its most prominent members in a game where they're technically the antagonists (shocking, I know) in a way that doesn't hurt Batman as the leaks suggest or have them both be canon with Suicide Squad as the concurrent side story like the Morales Spidey game, but from that angle, I guess it works (not without some confusion, though, thanks WB). I'm sure they'll make brief mention of Batman here and there since they are his villains and Harley would surely have some "choice" words about Batman's "death", but they'll be brief and rare just like the supposed Superman reference(s) in Arkham Knight.

About the contradictions in lore, I don't see it. it's true they made some key additions to the Arkham Knight ending, like Jim being dead and Barbara's leg being repaired to retake the mantle of Batgirl, but all of this could've easily happened shortly after Arkham Knight with Bruce recording the message after the fact in secret, so it wouldn't necessarily contradict Arkham Knight's ending if they planned that far ahead (the latter did happen in the comics, after all). It even has Red Hood, who, as we all know by now, is the secret identity of Arkham Knight as one of the playable characters, another obvious bait-and-switch.

They never even changed the location of Bruce's "death" if you watch the trailer in its entirety. I could've bought the theory of the destroyed building instead being Wayne Enterprises in a revisionist story, but Bruce later revealed it's still the Batcave/Wayne Manor when they played his pre-recorded message. Any changes were largely superficial.

As for WB protecting Batman by leaving him out of the Suicide Squad game, it was just a leaked tidbit before the game's reveal, it's not by any means official and those have certainly been wrong in the past (though RE8's appear to be spot-on, love it or hate it), though I guess it makes sense if they want to keep his true whereabouts on the downlow, but as stated, it's a problem that they themselves created.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Kinda sad that it's really hard for me to find games to enjoy, let alone not end up retrospectively disliking. Hell, even the game I DID like initially like, I've started to dislike such as RE2R and RE7.

I've tried a whole mess of games too such as Nier, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Halo, And it's not like they're bad games either or I don't even enjoy them. (Except Nier, that game has been so disinteresting I'm impressed.) But I can't feel satisfied playing them it's so strange.

I nearly beat Valk 4 and enjoyed the entire game. I got stopped by the final boss and I'm just not capable of beating her. And bam, the satisfaction I felt is 100% gone and I was kind of stunned at that. Then same deal happened in Halo where I played and enjoyed what I played but I wasn't satisfied with it at all at the end of the day. it's just so odd.

Just something about these relatively modern games don't click with me anymore.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Sometimes, people have taste changes. In the PS3/360 era, I stopped playing games for a while. But after a year or two, I found I really missed it and I have been a more active gamer since then.

I find that when I get bored of a game, it helps to finish it and then play a short or weird game to cleanse the pallet. Telltale Games and short indie games like What Remains of Edith Finch help to break up the monotony of gaming for me. But maybe you have a bigger future in other hobbies? Or retro gaming? These are all solid options, as long as you're happy.

Billy Coen

The first two Metal Gear, released for the MSX, should receive a Remake.

Imagine how epic would be a fight between Solid Snake and Big Boss with current 2020 graphics.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Sometimes, people have taste changes. In the PS3/360 era, I stopped playing games for a while. But after a year or two, I found I really missed it and I have been a more active gamer since then.

I find that when I get bored of a game, it helps to finish it and then play a short or weird game to cleanse the pallet. Telltale Games and short indie games like What Remains of Edith Finch help to break up the monotony of gaming for me. But maybe you have a bigger future in other hobbies? Or retro gaming? These are all solid options, as long as you're happy.
Ironically, I did the same thing. I played games on my PS2 up until 2008-ish, but stopped playing all of a sudden and didn't care about the PS3/360 era of games at all. There was nothing that interested me, until a new SSX was announced and released in early 2012, and that's when I finally bought a PS3 and started playing games again. Lol.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Playing Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest and I'm appreciating this game mode a lot more than the last time I beat it (probably a decade ago). I never realized how much of the fat they trimmed out of the dungeons while adding better puzzles.

D

Deleted member 21244

The first two Metal Gear, released for the MSX, should receive a Remake.

Imagine how epic would be a fight between Solid Snake and Big Boss with current 2020 graphics.
If Kojima and Kojima production is at the helm why not, but i can't see Konami doing a good job alone

Top Bottom