• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City

Ikawaru

I felt, once they get into the mansion, the dialogue improves (minus Rosie, Sullivan, and Aiken's).

This was my impression as well and certainly did get RE vibes from reading it at least (how it would pan out on camera is up for debate of course). Was interesting to see Marcus make an appearance as well, was that Romero's idea?

Ark2000

From what I uncovered, Wesker and Jill are a thing, and Chris has affections for Jill.
Well, it is a weird choice considering their history in games, but maybe by looking at the film as its own thing it won't be that strange for fans. I'd rather just avoid any romance in RE films if it was up to me, but if it's already in there, i just hope it's not something which will take too much of a plot or time.

Chris not being a S.T.A.R.S. member was George's idea, as it worked for the themes and social commentary he wanted to do. Chris being Native American was something he was told to write. Barry being African American was a holdover from the McElroy draft before Romero, same with Barry and Wesker serving together, as well as S.T.A.R.S. being a special forces group.
Hmm, interesting. Maybe somebody at Constantin or Capcom had list of things which were to be included in the film. It would also maybe explain why McElroy has a Story By credit in the film, although from what i can tell there are very few similarities between his script, Romero's and final film. Does McElroy's script also has Jill and Chris as couple?

Romero's dialogue was amazing in comparison to McElroy's draft. The worst part is the romance elements. I felt, once they get into the mansion, the dialogue improves (minus Rosie, Sullivan, and Aiken's).
Oh absolutely, i remember thinking how awful the dialogue between Jill and Chris during their love scene is. But some of the "tough and badass" dialogue and lines between all team members later in the script was also pretty cheesy, but nothing can beat Romero adding Night Of The Living Dead reference, that part always made me laugh. I still can't believe McElroy's script was THAT bad though, i mean i would expect at least the dialogue to be decent. Seems like in late 90's he had his up and downs, but Spawn, Left Behind and Ecks Vs Sever did had other writers besides him, so i can't blame just him for those films.

Ark2000

This was my impression as well and certainly did get RE vibes from reading it at least (how it would pan out on camera is up for debate of course). Was interesting to see Marcus make an appearance as well, was that Romero's idea?
Friend of mine pointed this out one time, i don't know is it true or mistake, but didn't Marcus showed up for the first time in Resident Evil Zero, in 2002? If that's true, what are the chances that somebody at Capcom remembered John Marcus from Romero's script and added similar character in that game...

Bran

Independent Film Director
Friend of mine pointed this out one time, i don't know is it true or mistake, but didn't Marcus showed up for the first time in Resident Evil Zero, in 2002? If that's true, what are the chances that somebody at Capcom remembered John Marcus from Romero's script and added similar character in that game...
Romero was given access to information. Most likely, by 1998 they may have had initial information for Zero. Zero came out on the GameCube, but was originally being made for N64. It's possible that development was worked on as early as 1998.

Or they took the name from Romero. That also would be really cool.

Ark2000

Romero was given access to information. Most likely, by 1998 they may have had initial information for Zero. Zero came out on the GameCube, but was originally being made for N64. It's possible that development was worked on as early as 1998.

Or they took the name from Romero. That also would be really cool.
It sure would. And it's probably just a coincidence, but i think Anderson took the "Acid Trap" scene from Romero's script and did his own version of it with "Laser Hallway" scene in the film, considering how similar both scenes are. Not saying he stole it or anything, it's something which always happens when different writers work on same story/script, take what they like from previous draft and add to their draft and maybe re-work it slightly.

Edit: I should probably mention, i'm talking about Anderson's later draft, not the one he was writing back when Romero was writing his script.

Last edited:

Bran

When can you share that with us?

I received word today that the screenplay I had mentioned was rejected. The producer had ensured me that the script was good, but that their business model for that franchise was to concentrate on a direct sequel not a spin-off. All in all, it took about two months to get an answer.

The screenplay was a pilot script for a four episode limited event series (kind of like the upcoming Obi-Wan series) that would be exclusive to HBO Max, for the Mortal Kombat franchise. It was called Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

Bittersweet, really. To have it passed on, but the head of the movie franchise to say the script was good.

No hard feelings between the two of us. Now I concentrate on the OTHER projects that got picked up instead.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Well, it looks like we might get our first clue as to when we can expect a trailer: apparently, it'll be premiering at Capcom's panel at Tokyo Game Show 2021 if this leaked image is to be believed:

E-aZ8pDXsAAyWuY

Hardware

I received word today that the screenplay I had mentioned was rejected. The producer had ensured me that the script was good, but that their business model for that franchise was to concentrate on a direct sequel not a spin-off. All in all, it took about two months to get an answer.

The screenplay was a pilot script for a four episode limited event series (kind of like the upcoming Obi-Wan series) that would be exclusive to HBO Max, for the Mortal Kombat franchise. It was called Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

Bittersweet, really. To have it passed on, but the head of the movie franchise to say the script was good.

No hard feelings between the two of us. Now I concentrate on the OTHER projects that got picked up instead.
Congratulations on getting the assignment and still getting praised for your work. Projects come and go in this industry and money people can change their minds overnight. Not bad for someone who is not Martin Scorsese and should just stick to his little indie movies ;)

Bran

Friend sent me a message saying the trailer for RE drops Monday. Not sure if true.

Fingers crossed.

Bran

Congratulations on getting the assignment and still getting praised for your work. Projects come and go in this industry and money people can change their minds overnight. Not bad for someone who is not Martin Scorsese and should just stick to his little indie movies ;)
Thank you. Means a lot. Great thing is, the executive has my name and contact info, so you never know what the future holds. I'm moving on to my documentary, and I have two other projects ramping up right behind it. So, no loss. There's a little bit of disappointment... those that read it (especially MK fans) loved it and felt it would have improved on what they didn't like about the new movie.

Still, I'm more excited about the documentary and working with people I've wanted to meet for 20 years.

Thanks again.

Hardware

Thank you. Means a lot. Great thing is, the executive has my name and contact info, so you never know what the future holds. I'm moving on to my documentary, and I have two other projects ramping up right behind it. So, no loss. There's a little bit of disappointment... those that read it (especially MK fans) loved it and felt it would have improved on what they didn't like about the new movie.

Still, I'm more excited about the documentary and working with people I've wanted to meet for 20 years.

Thanks again.
MK is an important franchise and the owners are always going to win: you were very lucky to work on it for a while. I know people who would've sold their families for the same opportunity.

...if it makes you feel any better, last year an associate of mine finally got his first CO-written movie (as in he's the co-writer: the director, who won an Academy Award for best foreign film years ago, is the lead writer) off the ground after years of uncredited script doctoring. A 16 million euros production (which is HUGE for European money - the average movie made in the EU is 1.5-3 million euros, so think of a 70 *EDIT: 40* million dollars flick in American terms). A dream come true. Sets were being built, shooting was going to begin next year...until about two\three weeks ago the thing got stopped in its tracks because of one of the director's whims which prevented the producers from getting a much-needed government grant to complete the budget. Now the thing is on hold. And, since it was never officially announced, it can still get canceled without much fanfare.

Last edited:

Hardware

Friend sent me a message saying the trailer for RE drops Monday. Not sure if true.

Fingers crossed.
Hey, I hope so. Although my expectations are low, I am still curious to see what they did. I was pretty disappointed that Capcom dedicated its entire spot at the TGS to Monster Hunter this year...on the 25th anniversary of RE, no less...even though I was pretty skeptical about the rumors circa the "Welcome to Raccoon City" trailer being shown there: it's a gaming convention after all, not even a mixed event like the Comic-Con, and Capcom, although involved, is not the lead production company on the movie.

Ikawaru

(which is HUGE for European money - the average movie made in the EU is 1.5-3 million euros, so think of a 70 million dollars flick in American terms).

You are kinda way off here, quick google search shows that 1.5m euros translates to 1.7391m usd and 3.0m euros translates to 3.4782m usd in 2021 currency.

Hardware

You are kinda way off here, quick google search shows that 1.5m euros translates to 1.7391m usd and 3.0m euros translates to 3.4782m usd in 2021 currency.
Dude, I was referring to the 16 million euros budget of that particular movie. And you have to factor in huge differences in wages, labor laws, and fiscal benefits, not just the exchange rate. That movie takes place on a period cruise ship (it is set in the 1950s if I am not mistaken) and the whole thing was being built on a sound stage: how much do you think the same thing would cost in Hollywood? Ever heard of American movies like Hellboy, GI Joe, Alien Vs Predator and whatnot shooting in Prague or Budapest because it's cheaper over there?

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Ever heard of American movies like Hellboy, GI Joe, Alien Vs Predator and whatnot shooting in Prague or Budapest because it's cheaper over there?

No, I have not heard of that, the only thing I've heard about is China entering the WTO in 2001 and the U.S. offshoring millions of jobs and consequently that coming back and biting them in the @$$ 20 years later "because it's cheaper". My knowledge of film is limited to "What looks like it could be reasonably decent at the theater?" xD

Bran

And you got people like me wondering what is fundamentally great about Martin Scorsese...
I have only seen a few of his
No, I have not heard of that, the only thing I've heard about is China entering the WTO in 2001 and the U.S. offshoring millions of jobs and consequently that coming back and biting them in the @$$ 20 years later "because it's cheaper". My knowledge of film is limited to "What looks like it could be reasonably decent at the theater?" xD
Actually that is/was a thing about filming in Prague. That Doom: Annihilation movie from 2019 was filmed there for cost reasons, and back in 2006 to 2008, the third Mortal Kombat movie planned to film in Prague after Hurricane Katrina destroyed the sets that were built in the US. Threshold eventually lost the rights after the game was sold to WB.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

I have only seen a few of his

Same. He seems to specialize in gangster-type films (subject matter which does not interest me one iota) and has a thing for real fancy backrops at the expense of atmosphere, which to me comes off as being "all over the place, but real fancy looking!" I guess it's just not really my cup of tea, and prefer others such as Ridley Scott and James Cameron, the former being good at atmosphere and the latter usually being pretty adequate at precision camera shots and effects, as well as having subject matter that actually interests me ;). 'Aliens' comes to mind there.

Ok, I guess I have some knowledge of films but the nuts and bolts on funding and locations are a bit out of my "Zone". I take what's presented and go from there.

Hardware

Scorsese did his good share of masterpieces (Taxi Driver, The Last Temptation of Christ, The King of Comedy, The Goodfellas etc. - I am one of those who liked Bringing Out The Dead despite the flaws in the third act, maybe because I was still young when I saw it), but he's probably the last person to call in when discussing what a Resident Evil adaptation should look like. Not because he's so highbrow while RE is "fun, silly trash maaaan", mind you, especially since I take RE pretty seriously for what it is (well, from 1 to C:V at least): the point is Scorsese himself wouldn't know how to do it in the first place. Gothic biopunk horror ain't what he does.

Bran

Guess no trailer today.
Kinda not surprised. We will probably know when people find the info on the trailer being rated.

Top Bottom