• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City

Mr.R

I disagree. The general public loves crap like the MCU and can easily buy into other worlds that aren't 100% realistic. Daredevil is hardly associated with his classic yellow and red outfit ever since he went all red and the Marvel Netflix shows in general were considered ridiculous anyway for being scared to embrace their superhero outfits despite taking place in the freakin MCU.

I'm not saying certain liberties couldn't be made, even Marvel and DC has done it, but when it's not even recognizable, you've completely failed at your job. I mean seriously, dark blue pants, a light blue STARS shirt and some black combat boots isn't a hard place to start.

Not that it matters anyway since they already f*cked up the casting, but still, I don't buy the notion that things can't resemble their source material because "it doesn't work." Sounds more like they don't understand the source material enough to make it work.
Weird that you call up the MCU, where most of the costumes were adapted to look more "realistic" than their comic counterparts, like Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, Black Widow, Daredevil, Iron Fist (who doesn't have one anyway), Vulture (I don't remember Michael Keaton with bright green suit...) And so on. Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of the Netflix shows about marvel were far from considered ridiculous, but hey, that's on you. Your dismissal of MCU and the likes it's your opinion so, that's whatever for me.

You said yourself. Blue shirt, blue pants and black boots. With the tactical vest, no shoulder pads and no beret. It's a good compromise. For ffs, Jill's original uniform doesn't even had a gun holster. That only came in Remake and she still under protected compared to her teammates. There's a lot to criticize in this movie, but Jill not looking like an anime power ranger cop isn't one of them.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Weird that you call up the MCU, where most of the costumes were adapted to look more "realistic" than their comic counterparts, like Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, Black Widow, Daredevil, Iron Fist (who doesn't have one anyway), Vulture (I don't remember Michael Keaton with bright green suit...) And so on. Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of the Netflix shows about marvel were far from considered ridiculous, but hey, that's on you. Your dismissal of MCU and the likes it's your opinion so, that's whatever for me.

You said yourself. Blue shirt, blue pants and black boots. With the tactical vest, no shoulder pads and no beret. It's a good compromise. For ffs, Jill's original uniform doesn't even had a gun holster. That only came in Remake and she still under protected compared to her teammates. There's a lot to criticize in this movie, but Jill not looking like an anime power ranger cop isn't one of them.
It's funny you say most, yet you bring up a bunch of C-list side characters who were most likely downgraded due to budgetary constraints. Some of them even have full on more comic accurate costumes now that the limelight is on them. I also don't see what exactly is so different and more "realistic" about what Black Widow wears. Seems pretty accurate. Daredevil also looked like Daredevil so I don't understand why you brought him up either.

Also, I never said the shows were considered ridiculous. Their fear of costumes was. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were already simplistic looking enough, but they dragged to put Daredevil in his red outfit, yet his black one was still very comic accurate. Iron Fist never got to wear his traditional outfit, and Punisher also didn't even have a skull on his shirt. Netflix was ashamed of the superhero genre and didn't want to flood their service with it so they tried grounding it and making it more ambiguous so that their casual subscribers wouldn't be put off by it, which considering how massive the MCU is, yes, is ridiculous as hell and just Netflix being a control freak.

Call it whatever you will, Jill doesn't look any better the way she is now and people have been ripping on it. She looks unrecognizable and she looks goofy as hell in that image. That's enough to warrant criticism.

Mr.R

It's funny you say most, yet you bring up a bunch of C-list side characters who were most likely downgraded due to budgetary constraints. Some of them even have full on more comic accurate costumes now that the limelight is on them. I also don't see what exactly is so different and more "realistic" about what Black Widow wears. Seems pretty accurate. Daredevil also looked like Daredevil so I don't understand why you brought him up either.

Also, I never said the shows were considered ridiculous. Their fear of costumes was. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were already simplistic looking enough, but they dragged to put Daredevil in his red outfit, yet his black one was still very comic accurate. Iron Fist never got to wear his traditional outfit, and Punisher also didn't even have a skull on his shirt. Netflix was ashamed of the superhero genre and didn't want to flood their service with it so they tried grounding it and making it more ambiguous so that their casual subscribers wouldn't be put off by it, which considering how massive the MCU is, yes, is ridiculous as hell and just Netflix being a control freak.

Call it whatever you will, Jill doesn't look any better the way she is now and people have been ripping on it. She looks unrecognizable and she looks goofy as hell in that image. That's enough to warrant criticism.
Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Falcon are c-list? Sure man. I rest my case on you about this. No use. Not going anywhere. Also, Black Widow's uniform looks actually tactic, with armor plates, holsters and things that she didn't had in the comics until pretty much the end of the 2000's. Same with Daredevil..the armor protected him instead of being just a tight fit suit. Armor plates and now. Even Captain America's suit looked more tactical and sober as the movies passed. Just compare the goofy looking suit from Avengers with the one from Endgame. But like I said, I won't go back on this. Makes no difference.

Sorry you won't have anime cop Jill. But like we all said, putting her in baby blue shades with berets and shoulder pads won't make this film any better.

I'll wait for more stills to come back to this thread.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Falcon are c-list? Sure man. I rest my case on you about this. No use. Not going anywhere. Also, Black Widow's uniform looks actually tactic, with armor plates, holsters and things that she didn't had in the comics until pretty much the end of the 2000's.

Sorry you won't have anime cop Jill. But like we all said, putting her in baby blue shades with berets and shoulder pads won't make this film any better.

I'll wait for more stills to come back to this thread.
What, you're offended that characters who the general public never heard about until they appeared in someone else's movie are considered C-list characters?

Yeah, I don't see any armor on Black Widow. Looks like tight black leather to me. Unless you want to pinpoint one of the many variations they've made over the years, you're just splitting hairs at that point. She's always looked like Black Widow and nothing else.

No one has ever said that Jill's outfit will make this movie better. We've pretty much all established it will be terrible but the notion that it wouldn't work or be recieved well by the general audience is a very outdated one that has been proven wrong time and time again because what they really mean, is that they lack faith in silly properties they don't understand and want to control as much of it as possible to protect their bottom line.

Mr.R

What, you're offended that characters who the general public never heard about until they appeared in someone else's movie are considered C-list characters?

Yeah, I don't see any armor on Black Widow. Looks like tight black leather to me. Unless you want to pinpoint one of the many variations they've made over the years, you're just splitting hairs at that point. She's always looked like Black Widow and nothing else.

No one has ever said that Jill's outfit will make this movie better. We've pretty much all established it will be terrible but the notion that it wouldn't work or be recieved well by the general audience is a very outdated one that has been proven wrong time and time again because what they really mean, is that they lack faith in silly properties they don't understand and want to control as much of it as possible to protect their bottom line.
I don't get offended by things like that. There are way more urgent things to be offended on the world than fictional characters, video games and pop culture. Most people do know Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch. Same with Daredevil. Those were always well known characters. I just find funny that you (sometimes) say a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense so you can 'win' the debate instead of reflecting or partially acknowledging someone else's point. So I'll leave it at that. Nothing will be gained of it.

And least we agree this movie will be bad so, let's leave it at that.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't get offended by things like that. There are way more urgent things to be offended on the world than fictional characters, video games and pop culture. Most people do know Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch. Same with Daredevil. Those were always well known characters. I just find funny that you (sometimes) say a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense so you can 'win' the debate instead of reflecting or partially acknowledging someone else's point. So I'll leave it at that. Nothing will be gained of it.

And least we agree this movie will be bad so, let's leave it at that.
Sure, man. I made it very clear why they're C-list but because you can't refute it, or refuse to engage with me any further, then surely I'm talking out of my ass to "win." You've done this before and I respected it. But now you're saying that "I don't make sense" yet you haven't been able to tell me why. I don't recall any of these characters having cartoons, selling tons of merchandise, having film after film and video game after video game about them. They're C-list characters who got noticed because of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America a decade ago and have only now started being featured in stuff but still aren't as popular as the big name main players. But yeah, that's just a bunch of nonsense I'm spewing so I can win.

Hardware

That's just flat out false. Video games, much like films, are a visual medium and both tell stories, therefore they overlap. With that in mind, very clear expectations can be set, like who the characters are, what they look like, their characterization, and what the general story is. Gameplay literally plays no role here nor is it expected to make any sort of transition onto film because it's the one major aspect that sets the 2 mediums apart. That's like adapting a book and wondering why you didn't have to read any words or flip any pages.
Man, I work in movies (I really do and I am not saying this because I want to brag about it: simply put, I am one of the people who are tasked to bring the script to the screen and so I think I know a thing or two about film language\narration): the mere fact games are a visual medium as well doesn't mean much, as their similarities are very superficial. You said it yourself FF's sake. And, since you mentioned books, every novelist who got one of his books adapted to the screen say the same thing when small changes are made: they are a different medium, they cannot be the same. Intellectually honest novelists, at least.

I'm pretty sure it's a zombie movie and people don't exactly find those scary anymore. Unless it's "based on a true story" or paranormal, no one is watching this believing any of it is real and someone's outfit isn't going to make or break it for them either.
Bollocks - people are still getting frightened by a rather wide range of horror movies. I think you're either being intellectually dishonest or you only look at what's playing at your local multiplex. You also didn't understand what I meant by "you need to believe to a degree that what you're seeing is real for it to be effective" - I was referring to the concept of suspension of disbelief (that's why I said "to a degree"). Besides, RE is not "a zombie movie": the zombies are just some of the things you're going to encounter - why do you think they showed Lisa Trevor instead of one of the ghouls?

Mr.R

Sure, man. I made it very clear why they're C-list but because you can't refute it, or refuse to engage with me any further, then surely I'm talking out of my ass to "win." You've done this before and I respected it. But now you're saying that "I don't make sense" yet you haven't been able to tell me why. I don't recall any of these characters having cartoons, selling tons of merchandise, having film after film and video game after video game about them. They're C-list characters who got noticed because of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America a decade ago and have only now started being featured in stuff but still aren't as popular as the big name main players. But yeah, that's just a bunch of nonsense I'm spewing so I can win.
Ohhhh I see. You speak for the whole of humanity. Now I get. Your own experience is your argument. Amazing. You called c-list, I didn't agree and give Captain America as an example about the costume (even though it doesn't make.any difference if the character is or not a c or A list when taking about adapting their costume). What you did? Ignored Captain America and kept saying the same thing about characters being c-list. I gave you different examples about changing weird uniforms to make things realist on the screen. Like, factual examples instead of my opinion about it. You just changed the subject from what was actually being discussed.

So yeah, you 'win', bla bla bla, whatever makes you happy and stop the discussion. There's a reason you have so many arguments here with so many different people on this forum. This particular one is over for me.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Ohhhh I see. You speak for the whole of humanity. Now I get. Your own experience is your argument. Amazing. You called c-list, I didn't agree and give Captain America as an example about the costume. What you did? Ignored Captain America and kept saying the same thing. You're not even talking about Jill anymore. Now you just want a fight.

So yeah, you 'win', bla bla bla. There's a reason you have so many arguments here with so many different people on this forum. This particular one is over for me. Go distillate your agressivemess on the next one you decide to pick here.
Since when did I cite my own experience? What exactly are you even bringing to the table anyway other than just disagreeing with me and getting offended when I make an argument? Are you not speaking for humanity when you disagree with me? We are talking popularity here. WTF do you want me to say to not offend you?

And I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge your edit that I didn't see that is just more examples of you splitting hairs despite me having already acknowledged that things don't have to be 100% identical to look recognizable.

And that's real rich coming from you. You sure seem to enjoy when I argue with others given all the likes I've gotten from you in the past. But now we disagree on something and it's a problem for you. Be angry if you want. That's your own problem.

Mr.R

Since when did I cite my own experience? What exactly are you even bringing to the table anyway other than just disagreeing with me and getting offended when I make an argument? Are you not speaking for humanity when you disagree with me? We are talking popularity here. WTF do you want me to say to not offend you?

And I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge your edit that I didn't see that is just more examples of you splitting hairs despite me having already acknowledged that things don't have to be 100% identical to look recognizable.

And that's real rich coming from you. You sure seem to enjoy when I argue with others given all the likes I've gotten from you in the past. But now we disagree on something and it's a problem for you. Be angry if you want. That's your own problem.
Oh, I agreed with you many times in the past, especially when both you and I confronted another certain someone, but I rarely likes posts when you're being aggressive. And you call me angry. Ha! Also, Captain America was an edit I made 1 minute after posting, when I corrected a grammar sentence, since English is not my first language.

Again. Sure man. Splitting hairs. "I don't recall seeing". Sure. Amazing. Are you Happy now so we can move on?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Oh, I agreed with you many times in the past, especially when both you and I confronted another certain someone, but I rarely likes posts when you're being aggressive. And you call me angry. Ha! Also, Captain America was an edit I made 1 minute after posting, when I corrected a grammar sentence, since English is not my first language.

Again. Sure man. Splitting hairs. "I don't recall seeing". Sure. Amazing. Are you Happy now so we can move on?
And now you're acting like a certain someone. Seriously, you think highlighting "I don't recall seeing" somehow makes what I said a literal personal experience? Show me their comic book sales, merchandise sales, video games, cartoons, and movies since you think these characters were always mainstream despite being relegated to supporting characters when they first appeared in the MCU. I don't recall it and neither do you or anyone else because they weren't mainstream like Batman and Spider-Man.

Yeah, you're splitting hairs. I already said certain liberties can be made as long as they're recognizable and you're really citing Black Widow of all characters as being inaccurate and now Captain America like it makes what I'm saying about Jill wrong like that Jill is anywhere close to the source material as Captain America is who literally could not be mistaken as anyone else but Captain America.

You sure seem angry since you think I'm looking for a fight by simply explaining my argument. This sh*t is old and boring. But I'm definitely not gonna stay quiet while you try to run and say that I speak nonsense. I have always explained where I'm coming from and this is no different.

Mr.R

And now you're acting like a certain someone. Seriously, you think highlighting "I don't recall seeing" somehow makes what I said a literal personal experience? Show me their comic book sales, merchandise sales, video games, cartoons, and movies since you think these characters were always mainstream despite being relegated to supporting characters when they first appeared in the MCU. I don't recall it and neither do you or anyone else because they weren't mainstream like Batman and Spider-Man.

Yeah, you're splitting hairs. I already said certain liberties can be made as long as they're recognizable and you're really citing Black Widow of all characters as being inaccurate and now Captain America like it makes what I'm saying about Jill wrong like that Jill is anywhere close to the source material as Captain America is who literally could not be mistaken as anyone else but Captain America.

You sure seem angry since you think I'm looking for a fight by simply explaining my argument. This sh*t is old and boring. But I'm definitely not gonna stay quiet while you try to run and say that I speak nonsense. I have always explained where I'm coming from and this is no different.
Nah. I had difference of arguments with lots of people here. Rain, hardware, etc. I loved RE Van Helsing and RE3R and haven't fought with anyone about it here. didn't had this kid of argument with none of them. But I thank you about your concern about me being angry. I'm not, I can assure. Very kind of you. Even if you're being dishonest about comparing me to a certain someone, with just make me lose the respect I have for you. Are you sure you're not the one angry?

We always have more to say, to retort but eh, like I said, I'm backing down on it.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Nah. I had difference of arguments with lots of people here. Rain, hardware, etc. I loved RE Van Helsing and RE3R and haven't fought with anyone about it here. didn't had this kid of argument with none of them. But I thank you about your concern about me being angry. I'm not, I can assure. Very kind of you. Even if you're being dishonest about comparing me to a certain someone, with just make me lose the respect I have for you. Are you sure you're not the one angry?

We always have more to say, to retort but eh, like I said, I'm backing down on it.
You condescend and say I speak nonsense for backing my opinion and took that as a fight. Pretty sure you had no respect for me. I really don't care. Not gonna apologize for having opinions you don't care to engage with.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I skipped most of the arguments on here. But I read enough to say I can agree and disagree with a lot of what is being said here.

I do not mind the actual look of the actors. Looks are so much less important than acting talent and writing and I have to hope these are all taken care of. I actually like the tense look of the Leon actor. But I do agree that some of the costuming seems slightly amateur. I don't think we have enough evidence of what this will look like.

But with a title like WELCOME TO RACCOON CITY, I am not 100% this movie was not pulled directly from 2002.

Ikawaru

This will be tough for me since a certain Resident Evil is pounded into my skull after 25 years of playing. I will try to go in with an open mind but I can't help but think I will walk out of the theater thinking I just watched a 2 hour trailer of the first 2 games made by casual fans of the series but given a multimillion dollar budget.

It almost seems pointless for veteran fans to watch movies on anything really, unless just getting out of the house and grabbing popcorn and drinks and relaxing and enjoying the activity as an end in of itself is sufficient to brighten your day. If you are one of those people, awesome, I wish you well, but for me content of medium is king.

Ark2000

I agree. While i also have some issues with what we know about this reboot so far, i'm more than willing to give it a chance, but i am keeping my hopes on certain level, not too hyped or too down on it. At best, i just hope we'll have a very good action horror film. And like you said, yes costumes don't exactly look the best but if i was given a choice between having good actors or original outfits, i'll rather go with good actors.

Only bad sign about this which worries me is the fact it went through re-shoots in May, BUT let's keep in mind that right now we don't know the reasons for re-shoots or how big those were, and what could have been changed, deleted, added etc and why.

My one problem with the film, but which i'm not sure would consider to be very big problem, is decision to mix the stories of first two games, but maybe Roberts found a way to make it work. Personally, like many other fans, i think the better decision would have been to mix RE Zero and RE Original/Remake for first film, and original/remakes of RE 2 and Nemesis for second film. If, and this is just my theory, this film ends with Raccoon City still standing but still full of monsters, i can see some really good potential for sequel by making it sort of Escape From New York-like film with characters from first film and some new ones going back into Raccoon for some important reason, even though Army Of The Dead did do something similar but this version of the sequel could be different enough type of movie. There was a similar plot idea being worked on in 2000 for very first RE film, so why not give it a shot again.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Speaking of "realism" and going for something less "video-gamey", would anyone here seriously like and relate to the unique characters in Resident Evil if all of the S.T.A.R.S. members were dressed liked this?

special-forces.jpg

Because that'd be 100% realistic. Matching outfits, full-on tactical gear and no personality whatsoever. Is that what you want?

If you think Jill's original outfit is ridiculous you're overthinking stuff. It's so obvious that the filmmakers didn't want to give Jill something that resembles her original outfit since they'd argue that it's "sexist" to not give her a tactical vest that covers up all of her chest. But considering the fact that none of the actors wear protection over their arms in that still, they've already opted for less realism since it's unwise to enter a dangerous mission with most of your arms exposed to various attacks. So exposing the guys's biceps is OK, but to give Jill her classic tactical shoulder pads is a big no-no?

Seriously, is there anything sexist about this outfit? All I see is a kickass fighter suited for combat. You can bet your asses the filmmakers looked at this outfit for Jill and said "Ewww, how degrading for women to leave her chest exposed like that!"

fbf889e0b43b174249880a85435587cf.jpg

What bugs me the most is that none of the S.T.A.R.S. members actually wore tactical vests in the original game. They wore shirts and vests, but nothing that looked like your standard special forces equipment. Going by this notion, Jill ironically wore the most protective gear. Just look at Chris:

latest
latest

Bran

Independent Film Director
Speaking of "realism" and going for something less "video-gamey", would anyone here seriously like and relate to the unique characters in Resident Evil if all of the S.T.A.R.S. members were dressed liked this?

special-forces.jpg

Because that'd be 100% realistic. Matching outfits, full-on tactical gear and no personality whatsoever. Is that what you want?

If you think Jill's original outfit is ridiculous you're overthinking stuff. It's so obvious that the filmmakers didn't want to give Jill something that resembles her original outfit since they'd argue that it's "sexist" to not give her a tactical vest that covers up all of her chest. But considering the fact that none of the actors wear protection over their arms in that still, they've already opted for less realism since it's unwise to enter a dangerous mission with most of your arms exposed to various attacks. So exposing the guys's biceps is OK, but to give Jill her classic tactical shoulder pads is a big no-no?

Seriously, is there anything sexist about this outfit? All I see is a kickass fighter suited for combat. You can bet your asses the filmmakers looked at this outfit for Jill and said "Ewww, how degrading for women to leave her chest exposed like that!"

fbf889e0b43b174249880a85435587cf.jpg

What bugs me the most is that none of the S.T.A.R.S. members actually wore tactical vests in the original game. They wore shirts and vests, but nothing that looked like your standard special forces equipment. Going by this notion, Jill ironically wore the most protective gear. Just look at Chris:

latest
latest
Yes, I'd be okay with that. Because the gas mask isn't always worn. It has worked for other films (just look at war movies, or if you want, check out George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead, where 2 of the 4 main characters wear the same clothing).

Jill's outfit isn't realistic. That is all.

The S.T.A.R.S. members DO wear tactical vests. That's an M-69 Flak Jacket, used for several decades in the military, and were still in use in the 90's with some police departments (I believe the idea at the time was to give S.T.A.R.S. a visual aesthetic that they had lesser equipment... it was just their initial funding).

What makes Jill's original outfit so ridiculous is that it's just padding. Everyone else is wearing something to stop shrapnel and small arms fire.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Yes, I'd be okay with that. Because the gas mask isn't always worn. It has worked for other films (just look at war movies, or if you want, check out George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead, where 2 of the 4 main characters wear the same clothing).

Jill's outfit isn't realistic. That is all.

The S.T.A.R.S. members DO wear tactical vests. That's an M-69 Flak Jacket, used for several decades in the military, and were still in use in the 90's with some police departments (I believe the idea at the time was to give S.T.A.R.S. a visual aesthetic that they had lesser equipment... it was just their initial funding).

What makes Jill's original outfit so ridiculous is that it's just padding. Everyone else is wearing something to stop shrapnel and small arms fire.
Resident Evil isn't a war movie though, it's survival horror with aspects of action. Besides, comparing this to Dawn of the Dead is an unfair comparison since this film is an adaptation of an exisiting property and not an original script. It's always okay to take some liberties and modify parts of the story and its characters as long as you respect the source material. That is why the Lord of the Rings trilogy is such a great adaptation of the books even though it changes a lot of things. The same reason why the first three Harry Potter films are great adaptations, whereas most of the latter fail miserably since they decided to turn the series into teen romance movies which isn't what the books are about.

This is a cliché argument but films aren't meant to be 100% realistic. If that was the case, dialogue scenes in every movie would consist of characters constantly interupting each other and making lots of "emmmmm" sounds in-between sentences, because that's how real conversations sound like. That being said, there are some things that viewers will accept thanks to the suspension of disbelief. That includes tactical outfits that aren't 100% realistic in a movie that takes place in a creepy mansion with mutated monsters.

Chris wearing a M-69 Flak jacket still leaves his arms exposed to attacks, so it's not realistic. That's the problem when you keep focusing on realism while forgetting about story and characters. The most important things to always remember are; What's the context? Will the viewer accept this? Will the viewer refuse this?

Besides, the target audience for these types of movies are definitely not the kind of people who'd be upset if a character survives an unrealistic fall to the ground, or something like that. If I'm being honest here, the only ones who'd be upset if Jill wore her original outfit are professional film critics and Twitter users - not the moviegoers themselves.

Bran

Independent Film Director
Resident Evil isn't a war movie though, it's survival horror with aspects of action. Besides, comparing this to Dawn of the Dead is an unfair comparison since this film is an adaptation of an exisiting property and not an original script. It's always okay to take some liberties and modify parts of the story and its characters as long as you respect the source material. That is why the Lord of the Rings trilogy is such a great adaptation of the books even though it changes a lot of things. The same reason why the first three Harry Potter films are great adaptations, whereas most of the latter fail miserably since they decided to turn the series into teen romance movies which isn't what the books are about.

This is a cliché argument but films aren't meant to be 100% realistic. If that was the case, dialogue scenes in every movie would consist of characters constantly interupting each other and making lots of "emmmmm" sounds in-between sentences, because that's how real conversations sound like. That being said, there are some things that viewers will accept thanks to the suspension of disbelief. That includes tactical outfits that aren't 100% realistic in a movie that takes place in a creepy mansion with mutated monsters.

Chris wearing a M-69 Flak jacket still leaves his arms exposed to attacks, so it's not realistic. That's the problem when you keep focusing on realism while forgetting about story and characters. The most important things to always remember are; What's the context? Will the viewer accept this? Will the viewer refuse this?

Besides, the target audience for these types of movies are definitely not the kind of people who'd be upset if a character survives an unrealistic fall to the ground, or something like that. If I'm being honest here, the only ones who'd be upset if Jill wore her original outfit are professional film critics and Twitter users - not the moviegoers themselves.

Fact of the matter is, the video game fans don't make the profit for the studio. If we only made a movie for the fans, the budget would be for direct to video. It's the unfortunate truth.

Just as Hardware works in the film industry, so do I. And, it's not as simple as a 1:1 translation from the video game to a movie. Arguing that it can be done is a moot point. Of course it can be done. They can make a movie that has 100% accurate costumes and scenery and monsters. But, it would just be too weird to be taken seriously.

Top Bottom