• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City (2021)

Wasker1995

I think that Hannah john kamen can easy pass as jill and Avan Jogia look like Leon if he dye his hair

But for some people the problem here seems that they're skin is a bit darker and that they're not american, not that they don't lool like the character

Albert wesker actor for example look nothing like wesker, his face is totally different, his nose, his hear, his eyes are totally different , yet nobody say anything about that, because he his white, so it's ok, 99% of his face look nothing like Albert but no problem the 1% remaining, his skin color, is ok so he can perform wesker ... But nope for leon and jill actors , because they re skin is not white and they're not American, despite them having similar facial feature whit the character

If this isn't racism lol
Jill is originally white and in the movie she must be white too! Or could Blade be made white then? After all, the main thing is not the skin color of the character, but his acting, am I right? They blackwashed Jill just because they need to fulfill quotas and to prevent the CJW media from calling them racists! This has nothing to do with acting! They just need to meet minority quotas and satisfy their CJW bosses

D

Deleted member 21244

Nobody looks like their counterpart. The race switching is just obvious pandering that reveals how little this project actually cares to do the games justice and I wouldn't consider anyone in this cast to be amazing actors either. Also, nobody cares if they're American or not.
Nobody care if they're American or not?
Wasker1995 only complained about that, and Infact i replayed to his post, but it seems you were taken into cause, but i wasn't referring to you, but to other people who says that the problem is that the actor are Arabian or black ecc

Edit: and as you can see by wasker post above XD

@Wasker1995 i think that s bull****, Daniel Craig look nothing like James bond, he is blonde, he have blue eyes, yet he's character portrayal is 500% more accured than the other actor before him who resamble the character body feature

Or cate Blanchett portrayl of Bob dylan, yeah that's right a woman portraying a man, yet her performance and look was accurate

So as you can see it's not the skin color or race that make the performance good

So by you're logic, every time you se a black guy, or an Arab guy or a Chinese guy or else in a movie is because they had to please they're CJW boss? That's another bull****

Last edited by a moderator:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm surprised that I actually know most of the actors. Normally, when a cast gets announced like this, half of the fans are excited, the other half are hating, and I'm in the middle, thinking, who the heck are these people?

But in this case, except for Leon's actor, I've seen all of them in at least one other movie or TV series, and honestly, I think I can buy Robbie Amell as Chris (more than Wentworth Miller in any case). Tom Hopper as Wesker, though? Sure, I might be reading too much into his role as Luther in Umbrella Academy, which could hardly be more unlike Wesker, but... surprise me! I'll wait. I mean, I don't have any illusions that I'm actually going to love this movie, in fact I haven't loved any of the RE movies to date, live action or CGI, but still, colour me interested in whatever they might do with this.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Nobody care if they're American or not?
Wasker1995 only complained about that, and Infact i replayed to his post, but it seems you were taken into cause, but i wasn't referring to you, but to other people who says that the problem is that the actor are Arabian or black ecc

Edit: and as you can see by wasker post above XD

@Wasker1995 i think that s bull****, Daniel Craig look nothing like James bond, he is blonde, he have blue eyes, yet he's character portrayal is 500% more accured than the other actor before him who resample the character feature
Black people can be American. Everyone loves Tom Holland and Henry Cavill as Spider-Man and Superman despite them being British. Where they're from isn't a problem because they actually look the part. If it's not racist to be upset at white washing then the opposite shouldn't offend anyone either.

D

Deleted member 21244

Black people can be American. Everyone loves Tom Holland and Henry Cavill as Spider-Man and Superman despite them being British. Where they're from isn't a problem because they actually look the part. If it's not racist to be upset at white washing then the opposite shouldn't offend anyone either.
Everyone loves tome Holland and Henry Cavill because of they're phenomenal performance as superman and spider man, would have changed something if they re skin would have been a bit darker? We would have loved them less? Would they're character be less good? The answer is no
That's why i think what Wasker1995 was saying was not correct
The jill and Leon actors can resemble the character too despite the color of they're skin being darker and race difference

Samuel l Jackson did portray nick fury who was originally a white guy in the comic book, yet everybody loved his performance as nick fury, they loved him so much marvel changed nick fury in the comic to resamble Samuel l Jackson

So race or skin color truly doesn't matter for me as long as the performance is so good they embodied the character, this how i look at it

Edit: off topic someone know why i can't post pictures? I wanted to post some pictures but if touch the picture button nothing happen

Turo602

The King of Kings
Everyone loves tome Holland and Henry Cavill because of they're phenomenal performance as superman and spider man, would have changed something if they re skin would have been a bit darker? We would have loved them less? Would they're character be less good? The answer is no
That's why i think what Wasker1995 was saying was not correct
The jill and Leon actors can resemble the character too despite the color of they're skin being darker and race difference

Samuel l Jackson did portray nick fury who was originally a white guy in the comic book, yet everybody loved his performance as nick fury, they loved him so much marvel changed nick fury in the comic to resamble Samuel l Jackson

So race or skin color truly doesn't matter for me as long as the performance is so good they embodied the character, this how i look at it
Again, they look nothing like the characters, so you're reaching with "they're just darker skinned."

And no, Nick Fury was based on the Ultimate version of Nick Fury, who was black and I think even based on Samuel L. Jackson which is why they even got Samuel L. Jackson, because he looked the part.

D

Deleted member 21244

Again, they look nothing like the characters, so you're reaching with "they're just darker skinned."

And no, Nick Fury was based on the Ultimate version of Nick Fury, who was black and I think even based on Samuel L. Jackson which is why they even got Samuel L. Jackson, because he looked the part.
Again, I was talking about Wasker1995 post, where his problem was the character being dark skinned not the fact that they don't look nothing like the characters, by what he says if the actor where that but white it was perfectly ok, so that's why I'm reaching out to "they're just darker skinned", because we were talking about wasker post, but again it seems you're deviating, like i was responding to some of you're post about the actor, character ecc and it look like you were taken into account, but all my post where always referring to wasker original post

And than again, Daniel Craig look nothing like the characters, yet his performance his more in character that any other actor before, meaning that resembling dosent mean all, at least that's how i feel about it and we are just chasing around again, just different opinion
So i think I'll just stop there

Didn't know about the nick fury fact by the way

Mr.R

I really don't care about the race bending, and it's too much of a deep discussion that I don't want to dive it here.

There's a catch...when the cast doesn't look like their characters, writers need to write them really well and characterize them (clothes for example) as close as possible to their original counterparts, or else fans won't be able to identify the characters and their names will be just names.

We can beat around the bush all day, but Sienna Guillory is more easily identifiable as Jill than Hannah, so unless their characterization is on point, no one will care. They will need very good writing to convince the fans to ignore the character's appearance and consider them as Jill, Leon, Wesker etc. Or we all forgot about Chris face in RE7? Most people disliked the fact that Chris didn't looked like Chris. When a character doesn't look like it should, you better be sure on what you're doing. And for some reason I'm not putting much trust on this project.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Again, I was talking about Wasker1995 post, where his problem was the character being dark skinned not the fact that they don't look nothing like the characters, by what he says if the actor where that but white it was perfectly ok, so that's why I'm reaching out to "they're just darker skinned", because we were talking about wasker post, but again it seems you're deviating, like i was responding to some of you're post about the actor, character ecc and it look like you were taken into account, but all my post where always referring to wasker original post

And than again, Daniel Craig look nothing like the characters, yet his performance his more in character that any other actor before, meaning that resembling dosent mean all, at least that's how i feel about it and we are just chasing around again, just different opinion
So i think I'll just stop there

Didn't know about the nick fury fact by the way
You're the one saying they look like their characters, just darker and they really don't. But even if you want to get hypothetical, it's irrelevant because there will always be someone better suited for the role who can look and act the part anyway.

These aren't Oscar winning roles, so to act like the best person for the role is solely based on acting is completely misguided because that's not even how casting works. Danny Devito can't just walk in and audition and give the best performance of his life and be the "best" choice when they're auditioning people for a role they already determined was gonna have a specific look.

You think Jeffrey Wright got the part of Gordon in Matt Reeves' The Batman because he just happened to be the best despite being black? He already determined he wanted a black Gordon and auditioned or contacted black actors.

As for Wasker, you're reading too much into his posts and claiming racism. He hasn't said anything close to what you've implied and personally, I wouldn't even bother engaging him given there isn't much depth to what he's saying (shouting?) and it's just generic anti-SJW rhetoric. I just don't agree with the whole calling people racist just because they don't like pandering and race switching in films.

Also, I always thought Daniel Craig was miscast as James Bond and I still do, but that doesn't mean his films haven't been great. Like @Mr.R said, the only reason someone like Daniel Craig has won so many over is because literally every other aspect of his films have been amazing and elevated even the weakest thing about the films, which is Craig as Bond. I've always said the same about Christian Bale as Batman. He was an awful Batman but The Dark Knight was still a great film. And let's be honest, this is no Skyfall or Dark Knight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

You're the one saying they look like their characters, just darker and they really don't. But even if you want to get hypothetical, it's irrelevant because there will always be someone better suited for the role who can look and act the part anyway.

These aren't Oscar winning roles, so to act like the best person for the role is solely based on acting is completely misguided because that's not even how casting works. Danny Devito can't just walk in and audition and give the best performance of his life and be the "best" choice when they're auditioning people for a role they already determined was gonna have a specific look.

You think Jeffrey Wright got the part of Gordon in Matt Reeves' The Batman because he just happened to be the best despite being black? He already determined he wanted a black Gordon and auditioned or contacted black actors.

As for Wasker, you're reading too much into his posts and claiming racism. He hasn't said anything close to what you've implied and personally, I wouldn't even bother engaging him given there isn't much depth to what he's saying (shouting?) and it's just generic anti-SJW rhetoric. I just don't agree with the whole calling people racist just because they don't like pandering and race switching in films.

Also, I always thought Daniel Craig was miscast as James Bond and I still do, but that doesn't mean his films haven't been great. Like at @Mr.R said, the only reason someone like Daniel Craig has won so many over is because literally every other aspect of his films have been amazing and elevated even the weakest thing about the films, which is Craig as Bond. I've always said the same about Christian Bale as Batman. He was an awful Batman but The Dark Knight was still a great film. And let's be honest, this is no Skyfall or Dark Knight.
I didn't say the actor exactly look like they're character, i even say wesker look totally different, I just say they could pass for them and the rest remain to be seen by they're performances, yeah they're not Oscar winning actor but Oscar don't have to do whit anything, even an actor who never win an Oscar or some unknown never seen actor can deliver great performance
Personally i think the claire and Chris actor look very very similar to the game characters, so it's unfair to say not everyone look like them

There's no doubt that there is a 99% possibility the movie can suck in every way (especially because of the directory who is nobody, but that still remain to be seen) but personally I'm going to wait for a trailer, to see if that really the case

Probably you've right i shouldn't have calling him racist, but i still disagree whit what he says

Edit: this cool fan art by boss logic actually make the actor look very very similar to they're game counterpart
Even if it seems who made this was a bit drunk since he put the netlfix n on the word resideNt evil while the movie is made by Constantine and have nothing to do whit netlfix

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/j6llq8

Ark2000

Well, here's what i think about these news.

If the movie ends up being good, fun and maybe even creepy action horror, and all the actors and actresses do a great job, i'll be first to defend it and say how i was wrong for not having much hopes for it.

BUT, if all these race/skin color switching is just for pandering to certain modern audiences and to fulfill some bs quotas for all SJW morons, and if the movie ends up having even more of that, then it can go to hell, hell, HELL. Way too many movies and franchises were ruined the same way, and no matter how bad other Resident Evil films were, i'd still take those over anything which we could end up with if this happens to reboot.

But hey, so far the story doesn't sounds as bad as that leaked script for live action series, so at least we have that going for reboot.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Well, that's just horrible casting. Even though its no surprise I'm so tired of today's gender/race-bending stuff, I mean if you want a diverse cast you should write a new original story with original characters. If you are ashamed of your fictional characters being too white or too male you shouldn't make a movie about them in the first place, you're the wrong person for the job. In this case however its obviously a studio decision which makes it an even bigger problem.

If you seriously believe they were chosen purely because of their acting skills, then I'd like to hear your opinion on making Wonder Woman a guy and Black Panther a white dude. And if say "No because Wonder Woman is a woman and Black Panther is black", then you've lost the argument.

The ironic thing is that they actually HAVE a diverse cast in the actual video games, just look at Bravo Team and Alpha Team. Oh right, Kenneth and Enrico aren't the leads, so it doesn't count I guess? Lol.

Not that it matters though, this movie is bound to be trash regardless of the cast because they're gonna try and cram both the Spencer Mansion incident and Raccoon City stuff into one single movie from the perspective of all 4 big leads... Unless they sideline two of them to minor characters, which raises another question - why include them in the first place then?

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Maybe we should just wait to watch the movie rather than endlessly going round and round. I can tell you one thing they already did right - removing Paul WS Anderson from the picture. Maybe, just maybe, Constanin learned their lesson from the first go round and are actually trying to do better this time. They got rid of Paul, they are going to be following more closely to the games, seeing how this one is supposed to be a mashup of 1 and 2 if memory serves, and they've brought in a host of characters from the games. Fans have been asking for this and here it is. These actors/actresses just might do a really good job despite not looking like carbon copies of the original characters. Or not. We can't know yet.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I like that I know a lot of these actors. I don't see their skin color as being super important to the characters themselves. I think that acting ability is the defining characteristic I want in these actors. Honestly, these actors despite having different racial features than their typical game counterparts actually could look fairly close to the characters they are representing. I just hope this is better than the series following Wesker's daughters in an apocolypse. This looks much closer to the source material which is all I have been asking for.

Wasker1995

Well, that's just horrible casting. Even though its no surprise I'm so tired of today's gender/race-bending stuff, I mean if you want a diverse cast you should write a new original story with original characters. If you are ashamed of your fictional characters being too white or too male you shouldn't make a movie about them in the first place, you're the wrong person for the job. In this case however its obviously a studio decision which makes it an even bigger problem.

If you seriously believe they were chosen purely because of their acting skills, then I'd like to hear your opinion on making Wonder Woman a guy and Black Panther a white dude. And if say "No because Wonder Woman is a woman and Black Panther is black", then you've lost the argument.

The ironic thing is that they actually HAVE a diverse cast in the actual video games, just look at Bravo Team and Alpha Team. Oh right, Kenneth and Enrico aren't the leads, so it doesn't count I guess? Lol.

Not that it matters though, this movie is bound to be trash regardless of the cast because they're gonna try and cram both the Spencer Mansion incident and Raccoon City stuff into one single movie from the perspective of all 4 big leads... Unless they sideline two of them to minor characters, which raises another question - why include them in the first place then?
The fact is that CJW scam do not know how to create anything new or their own, they only know how to steal other people's ideas and rebuild them to fit their agenda

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

In the game jill is half French and half Japanese, and her likeness are that of Julia voth a Canadian model, and later that of sasha zotova a Russian model

Hannah Johan camen the actress who will play her in the reboot is Norwegian/Nigerian

Can't understand why people complain about a Norwegian actress while the other model for jill where also from other ethnicity that have nothing to do whit her French and Japanese heritage
Maybe because people don't see some Caucasian feature in her? Or just because her skin is a bit more darker i guess... Well Norwegian is actually the most Caucasian eritage

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Alrighty, time for my input, because it's more important than anyone else's XD. This move was obviously to fulfill diversity checkboxes. It really has nothing to do with acting talent, just because that's how Hollywood works nowadays. As fans of an IP, there's no problem in taking issue with changes that are made that don't further or enhance the story, and is purely changed for social/political clout. Say what you will, but it's already proof the show is off to a bad start, because it's proof they're willing to insert politics into the show that weren't in the game. Maybe they'll start using Umbrella and it's power as a way of making points about "the evils of capitalism." Rather than just making a scary, horror/sci-fi TV show for fans, they're going to use a big name to spread an agenda. That's how it looks...plain and simple. But, it also shows they don't respect the characters enough to not change them. No good has come, in recent history at least, from changing beloved flag-ship characters, when they've been taken to live action. Characters that are relatively unknown, like the Guardians of the Galaxy? Sure. There's more leeway there. But Jill is arguably the most famous of the female cast members in RE, and is an OG. She's been there since the beginning. And it doesn't matter if you've been playing the game since Day 1, REmake, or even RE5, she's always had a distinct look. Changing that, even if it ISN'T for a social/political reason (which again, it is, but hypothetically let's say it wasn't) is a slap in the face to fans, because it shows you are making a product FOR said fans, but don't ultimately care about what they think or want. If you were, you'd be keeping true to the source material. No fan is out there like, "Aargh! They made Jill black! I hate it because black people are inferior!" No lol...That isn't happening...fans react negatively because there are changes being made to something they love, for no good or valid reason, and it sets a bad precedent. As much as someone may say "I don't care if *insert character here* is white or black," they're lying on SOME level. If someone is a huge fan of Spider-Man, and they unveiled in the new Spider-Man movie the bad guy is gonna be Green Goblin, and then you see Norman Osbourne is a 5 foot Mexican female...You're gonna wince and shake your head, wondering what they were thinking, no matter how progressive thinking you are. At the end of the day, that's not the character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

Alrighty, time for my input, because it's more important than anyone else's XD. This move was obviously to fulfill diversity checkboxes. It really has nothing to do with acting talent, just because that's how Hollywood works nowadays. As fans of an IP, there's no problem in taking issue with changes that are made that don't further or enhance the story, and is purely changed for social/political clout. Say what you will, but it's already proof the show is off to a bad start, because it's proof they're willing to insert politics into the show that weren't in the game. Maybe they'll start using Umbrella and it's power as a way of making points about "the evils of capitalism." Rather than just making a scary, horror/sci-fi TV show for fans, they're going to use a big name to spread an agenda. That's how it looks...plain and simple. But, it also shows they don't respect the characters enough to not change them. No good has come, in recent history at least, from changing beloved flag-ship characters, when they've been taken to live action. Characters that are relatively unknown, like the Guardians of the Galaxy? Sure. There's more leeway there. But Jill is arguably the most famous of the female cast members in RE, and is an OG. She's been there since the beginning. And it doesn't matter if you've been playing the game since Day 1, REmake, or even RE5, she's always had a distinct look. Changing that, even if it ISN'T for a social/political reason (which again, it is, but hypothetically let's say it wasn't) is a slap in the face to fans, because it shows you are making a product FOR said fans, but don't ultimately care about what they think or want. If you were, you'd be keeping true to the source material. No fan is out there like, "Aargh! They made Jill black! I hate it because black people are inferior!" No lol...That isn't happening...fans react negatively because there are changes being made to something they love, for no good or valid reason, and it sets a bad precedent. As much as someone may say "I don't care if *insert character here* is white or black," they're lying on SOME level. If someone is a huge fan of Spider-Man, and they unveiled in the new Spider-Man movie the bad guy is gonna be Green Goblin, and then you see Norman Osbourne is a 5 foot Mexican female...You're gonna wince and shake your head, wondering what they were thinking, no matter how progressive thinking you are. At the end of the day, that's not the character.
What are the proof that they actually choosed the actor to fulfill an agenda? I think that dosent make much sense, because if jill actress would have had the exact face as jill you would have not blind and eye on that, even if she is Norwegian/Nigerian , but the only proof you have for them carry on some sort of agenda is the color of her skin or something else? So by your reasoning When capcom choosed sasha zotova, a russian model to play a French and Japanese character, they where fulfilling an agenda, same when they choosed the leon actor for re 2 remake, a romanian actor to play an American character, they wanted more diversity in they're face model i guess

Not saying this agenda **** is not real, because i saw to many time happening in Hollywood in recent years, an example is Disney handling of star wars ans we have real proof there, but i personally think this isn't the case

And to be fair if some people actual problem is jill actress skin color, you can stay assured because she is more pail than me, and did a wonderful job in ant man and the wasp and ready player one and she is also a promising emergent actress, and we could not have hoped for better
And personally i think in costume and make up she will definitely look like jill

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
What are the proof that they actually choosed the actor to fulfill an agenda? I think that's pretty non sense, because if jill actress would have the same face as jill you would have not blind and eye on that, even if she is Norwegian/Nigerian , but the only proof you have is the color of her skin or something else? So by your reasoning When capcom choosed sasha zotova, a russian model to play a French and Japanese character, they where fulfilling an agenda, same when they choosed the leon actor for re 2 remake, a romanian actor to play an American character

And to be fair if some people actual problem is jill actress skin color, you can stay assured because she is more pail than me

...You don't follow Hollywood and film in general much do you? It's actually a requirement for MANY studios nowadays to do this, and they openly admit it's to promote diversity in the film industry. Not an inherently bad concept, as diversity is a good thing. But when it's being forced, rather than being made a choice, and when it's for social/political aims, it IS a problem. Let's say you have a producer and casting director who love the way someone auditioned, but that person didn't meet the studio required checkboxes, then that person can't be used, regardless of their talent during said audition. This has been openly stated by many people in Hollywood, but nearly always in a positive light, because again, how can it be wrong to promote diversity? So, do I have proof that in THIS instance it was done for that exact reason? No. I didn't work on the project. But is there other films, TV shows, and various other projects where proof exists of this being the case? Yes. It's studio mandate at this point in the vast majority of cases. I have 2 loves in this world. Film and politics. And how often they intertwine, especially in the recent decade, is really all the proof you need to come to these conclusions. And diversity doesn't just mean skin color. Gender. Sexual orientation of characters. Disabilities. These are all things studios make it mandatory in many cases to promote the idea of inclusion. Again, not a bad sentiment, but no art should be forced to have its visions even POTENTIALLY compromised for the sake of politics.

D

Deleted member 21244

...You don't follow Hollywood and film in general much do you? It's actually a requirement for MANY studios nowadays to do this, and they openly admit it's to promote diversity in the film industry. Not an inherently bad concept, as diversity is a good thing. But when it's being forced, rather than being made a choice, and when it's for social/political aims, it IS a problem. Let's say you have a producer and casting director who love the way someone auditioned, but that person didn't meet the studio required checkboxes, then that person can't be used, regardless of their talent during said audition. This has been openly stated by many people in Hollywood, but nearly always in a positive light, because again, how can it be wrong to promote diversity? So, do I have proof that in THIS instance it was done for that exact reason? No. I didn't work on the project. But is there other films, TV shows, and various other projects where proof exists of this being the case? Yes. It's studio mandate at this point in the vast majority of cases. I have 2 loves in this world. Film and politics. And how often they intertwine, especially in the recent decade, is really all the proof you need to come to these conclusions. And diversity doesn't just mean skin color. Gender. Sexual orientation of characters. Disabilities. These are all things studios make it mandatory in many cases to promote the idea of inclusion. Again, not a bad sentiment, but no art should be forced to have its visions even POTENTIALLY compromised for the sake of politics.
Yeah I know this things happen in Hollywood Infact i sayd it in my previous post whit the example of Disney handling of the star wars series right now and how they forced many character into the movie just because of having race diversity, you can clearly see those character are bland, useless to the plot, forced and just stand there because someone says they need variety
A problem i personally don't see in this cast

Top Bottom