• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake RE3 - Members Reaction Thread

Rain611

You can't kill me.
You have to reload two time, because the first reload will still count your time, when you die you must reload, than press the pause button once the first load is done and reload again from the pause menu

Also if you buy the rocket launcher yuo can pretty go trought the whole game by shooting everything and get 1 hour of play time whitout taking anything, just the necessary things to continue in the game, it's a joke

Well I guess it's a good thing I pretty much garenteed that I won't be able to afford the infinite launcher (eye roll). But my time on Hardcore was actually better than my time on Standard. I don't think that will be the case on Nightmare because they shuffled everything though. I may have to find a guide for key items.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'm gonna post my reaction before reading through this thread as to not be swayed or influenced.

I'll start by saying, I'm on my second playthrough. I beat it the night it came out. And I kinda hated it. I'll be totally honest. I'm playing through again to see if my opinion changes. But frankly, I didn't like it. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis is my favorite of the original PSone games. And this is touted as a remake, when in essence, it feels like a TOTALLY different game just using the same characters. It took me about 6 hours to beat playing leisurely, but I don't really have an issue with the length. It's a remake of a PSone game. Of course it's gonna be short. No...what made me hate it was how much it changed, and how much it REGRESSED from the original, which is 21 years old at this point. Removing the multiple endings, branching paths, certain areas, enemies and boss fights ENTIRELY, making every Nemesis encounter short and scripted, making the Umbrella lab so prevalent was just all absolutely awful. I like thy dynamic between Jill and Carlos better. And I like seeing more of how disgusting Nicholai is. And...that's it. That's ALL I can say this remake did better. Obviously aside from objective things like better graphics, but what good is it to LOOK good, if it isn't actually good. There's next to no replayablity for me, which is a steap backwards, not only from REmake2 but also the original RE3. The costume situation is hella lackluster. Her S.T.A.R.S outfit...that's it. And the classic ones from preording of course, but that's still THREE total costumes. I'm pretty sure even original RE3 had more than that. Even if it didn't, we can still at least compare it to REmake2, and it falls behind even that. Nemesis loses his iconic form WAY too early. The Rail Gun stuff is absolute bullsh*t in this game. Changing her "You Want S.T.A.R.S.? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S.!" line was heartbreaking. Nicholai's downfall in this one is less satisfying. The lack of any real exploration and backtracking when compared to both the original and REmake2 is upsetting. This game feels just as linear as RE4 and RE5, which is a huge problem. Nemesis not being the one to kill Brad is totally unnecessary. Carlos being the one to go to the police station and not Jill, again, feels unnecessary. Like, "Hey, let's change it just for the sake of changing it." It didn't feel organic or necessary as a remake. Also, making it more about ANOTHER Umbrella lab and conspiracy than the just simplicity of escaping a doomed city while an omnipresent threat is hot on your trail seems forced, and was pretty uninteresting to me. We've visited Raccoon a BUNCH of times over the last 25 years. We don't need more lore on them that is pulled out of Capcom's ass. Stick with what we have, and add lore for some other aspects of the franchise. All in all...it was just a totally underwhelming experience for me. Hopefully my second playthrough will bear beatter results. But for now...This is the most disappointed I've been in Resident Evil ever since forced Co-op and the sh*tty character that is Sheva in RE5. I'll take RE6 over R3make any day. I'll be totally honest...

D

Deleted member 21244

Well I guess it's a good thing I pretty much garenteed that I won't be able to afford the infinite launcher (eye roll). But my time on Hardcore was actually better than my time on Standard. I don't think that will be the case on Nightmare because they shuffled everything though. I may have to find a guide for key items.
I think it's a shame that Capcom let the s rank be done so easy, they should have put some rank malus for using this item, they take all the fun out of the game , also anyone can get the platinum like this while it would have been an only hardcore player trophy

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I think it's a shame that Capcom let the s rank be done so easy, they should have put some rank malus for using this item, they take all the fun out of the game , also anyone can get the platinum like this while it would have been an only hardcore player trophy
You act like platinuming RE2R was hard.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Completely disagree, although I initially disliked the game as a Resident Evil title given its complete lack of zombies and connections to the over all lore at the time (umbrella) but I eventually grew to respect it as a fantastic game from start to finish, the game has won so many awards and is held in high regard by fans and critics alike so I honestly can't see how it would benefit at all from a reimagining or god forbid cut content, that would just **** fans more, I mean look at RE3 remake right now we have a large amount of fans and critics up in arms about the cut content and the perceived "rush/linear" style of RE3 remake in comparison to the original RE3 and although its one of my favs it isn't exactly considered a fan favorite or held in as high regard as RE4 which means if Capcom did the same with it then you would just be asking for a even bigger sh%tstorm lol.

But out of curiosity how do you think it would benefit from such a approach?

As I said the graphics still look great in 4k especially on the pc and the gameplay holds up as well with the only thing I think needing to be added is movement while aiming but I'm curious as to why you wish to see RE4 fundamentally changed in such a way.

Just for the record, I love Resident Evil 4 and I'm well aware of its reverence, but when I say it would benefit from cut content, I'm speaking from a survival horror perspective. While all the game really needs is a fresh coat of paint with improved lighting and sound like 343 did with the Halo Anniversary remasters, as well as some quality of life improvements, I definitely wouldn't be mad if they chose to reimagine the game.

I've thought about Resident Evil 4 a lot over the years and after playing it and analyzing it as much as I have, I've started to notice all sorts of things about the game. Things it does well, things that could be better, and things that I've never thought about before. The first few times I played Resident Evil 4, I would have told you the game was perfect. But throughout time, I slowly started to see it wasn't a good Resident Evil game. I started to think about why that was and what they could have done to make it better.

One of the critiques I started to have about the game was just simply how much it drags on. And this applies to the game itself, survival horror or not. Impactful encounters with memorable enemies are diminished by how often they reappear in the game. Combat just becomes monotonous the longer the game goes on and the fear you used to feel during the early stages of the game completely vanish as you mow down waves of enemies in constant succession.

As much as I've longed for the Resident Evil 3.5 version of the game, I've often thought about how Resident Evil 4 could be restructured and trimmed down to be a proper survival horror Resident Evil game while still keeping the game's identity in tact. Like the village and castle being designed like traditional Resident Evil locations you get to freely explore and backtrack through, rather than just following the yellow brick road. A lot of the needless action could be cut down so the stronger action set pieces could stand out more. You'll still have your key encounters like El Gigante and the Garrador, but without the constant reuse of them in later battles.

But after REmake 3, it just made me realize how much more a from the ground up remake or reimagining could benefit RE4 overall. Not only would the game's iconic setting look stunning in the RE engine, but it would also play like the latest remakes and the enemy A.I. could be overhauled to be much more intimidating than the stupid run up to you and stop so you can attack pattern.

They would have the opportunity to explore Leon and Ada as characters and continue their story from REmake 2 in a more natural way. Just like how they showcased Jill's trauma in REmake 3, they could show us the after effects of Leon's psyche after RE2. They could depict his blackmail in an actual mainline game and show us how the circumstances of his situation have made him colder and more numb.

It may not be a popular decision with how iconic and important the game is, but I for one definitely wouldn't mind Capcom starting again with RE4 and making it the game we wish we would have had back in 2005.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
@Turo602 when you put it that way I could see myself getting onboard with those ideas, kudos, although it would depend on if Capcom could somehow make such changes flawlessly since this is one of their highest games ever critically and commercially and fans would expect no less that absolute perfection in execution of those new ideas.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Same. Inferno was actually easier than I thought it would be despite me having 2 Recovery Coins, 2 Defense Coins, 2 Assault Coins, STARS Dodge Manual. and Infinite Rocket Launcher. But man, did every turn scare me. Luckily, playing Nightmare gets you ready for Inferno pretty well.

Everything was fairly easy with that set up except final Nemesis. He still killed me maybe 4 or 5 times because that dang 3-hit combo can get you stuck in a corner without being able to dodge and then you immediately die.

Funnily enough, now the only mode I have an S ranking on is Inferno.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Changing her "You Want S.T.A.R.S.? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S.!" line was heartbreaking.
I don't know if you noticed but she still says the line, just earlier in the game when she lures Nemesis away from Carlos and the others. Even though I would've preferred to have her say it in the final fight, I'm still quite satisfied with her new line: "Next time, take the f***ing hint!". I didn't even expect them to add the classic Stars line in the game at all so I was surprised to hear it which made me smile.

Also, making it more about ANOTHER Umbrella lab and conspiracy than the just simplicity of escaping a doomed city while an omnipresent threat is hot on your trail seems forced, and was pretty uninteresting to me.
It annoyed me as well, but I think they did it because they wanted to stay consistent with the same design aesthetics they introduced in RE2R. I would've still preferred the rough and dirty look of the dead factory, but RE2R got the same treatment with a new modern/minimalistic lab so it wasn't that bad. I'm mostly pi***ed off at the TINY level that's supposed to be the streets of Raccoon City, and the complete exclusion of the park and the Clock tower.

Other than that I agree with everything you said, the original RE3: Nemesis is very dear to my heart and this is not a respectful remake.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It's not even like there isn't room for more.

They could easily expand the amount of Raccoon Downtown by introducing more areas after the first Nemesis fight at the Construction Site. I mean, all that happens in this area is Jill seeing Kendo, going through a house, and then Nemesis shows up with his Rocket Launcher. This area could be a second Downtown area complete with missing areas from the original Downtown - News Office, Restaurants, Shopping Centers, maybe even areas we see in Outbkreak, etc. It felt a little rushed to fight Nemesis only to have him be there again RIGHT away with his Rocket Launcher.

Additionally, after the train crash - you go right in to the second major Nemesis boss fight. But it is confirmed that this is a public park area and the Clock Tower is right behind Jill. They could easily open up these areas to make them more accessible. They could include a few more Hunter Gammas in the park and even include more Drain Deimos in these areas allowing more variability in enemy types.

Every time I went through the game, I plotted ways to introduce new and better areas to it.

Jonipoon

It's not even like there isn't room for more.

They could easily expand the amount of Raccoon Downtown by introducing more areas after the first Nemesis fight at the Construction Site. I mean, all that happens in this area is Jill seeing Kendo, going through a house, and then Nemesis shows up with his Rocket Launcher. This area could be a second Downtown area complete with missing areas from the original Downtown - News Office, Restaurants, Shopping Centers, maybe even areas we see in Outbkreak, etc. It felt a little rushed to fight Nemesis only to have him be there again RIGHT away with his Rocket Launcher.

Additionally, after the train crash - you go right in to the second major Nemesis boss fight. But it is confirmed that this is a public park area and the Clock Tower is right behind Jill. They could easily open up these areas to make them more accessible. They could include a few more Hunter Gammas in the park and even include more Drain Deimos in these areas allowing more variability in enemy types.

Every time I went through the game, I plotted ways to introduce new and better areas to it.
Excellent ideas, you've inspired me to do a rewrite of the game similar to when I did a rewrite of Resident Evil Zero. The reason being like you said, there was so much they easily could have done with RE3R to turn it into a more respectable remake. Actually if you look at the concept art you'll see that there were lots of levels that ultimately ended up on the cutting room floor. Moon's Donuts was originally supposed to be a its own separate building located in a much more open area, and there was a bar level that's nowhere to be seen in the final product.

The events you mentioned would've been perfect opportunities to extend the game's length. Especially the second one, since I feel like they wanted Jill to hurry back to the subway as fast as possible after the rooftop fight. That's kind of a recurring problem with this remake's whole structure though, the developers wanted to evoke a sense of non-stop adrenaline rush where the escape from Raccoon City constantly feels like a ticking bomb. That was a mistake from their part, it feels like they were more interested in retelling the game's story from a more cinematic and exciting viewpoint rather than respecting the original. Raccoon City wasn't a ticking bomb until October 1 when the strike was ordered. Up until then, I think a more slow-paced escape from Nemesis would've worked just fine in this modern remake just like in the original.

Here's how I would've done it:
In order to avoid the need for Jill to hurry back to the subway after the rooftop fight, let's change the subway story plot so that civilians are being lined up in greater numbers, and the train has to go back and forth a few times. The story can still play out kind of the same way, that Jill lures Nemesis away from the subway in order to buy time for the civilians being rescued. But instead of just being one single train of civilians, lets make it so that they have to go back and forth at least once, therefore giving Jill more time to toy around with Nemesis before heading back. I think this would be a great opportunity to include Jill's RPD part. After the sewers and the rooftop fight, Jill still heads to Kendo as before, but Kendo gives Jill some new information: that a wounded Brad was there just earlier and headed to the RPD to look for her. "Brad's alive? I've gotta find him!" This gives Jill a reason to enter the RPD, to find Brad and take him to the subway. After Kendo rejects Jill's offer to get out of the city, she asks for the spare ID card she entrusted to him - she then uses this to head into the RPD via the parking garage.

In the basement of the RPD, Jill encounters a few cerberus and lickers, and has to solve an electronic puzzle to activate the elevator to reach the 1st floor. At the first floor, she runs into Marvin and a few other police officers and helps them fight off a few zombies, she tells them about the subway plan but Marvin says that Jill shouldn't trust the UBCS. Afterwards, Jill goes to find Brad hiding in the STARS office, and Brad is very frightened at this point. He says that he's afraid of the Nemesis, but Jill tells him to get up on his feet and come with her, that "they've found a way out of the city". At this point it would be fitting for Brad to say something like "You don't understand, Jill, there's no way out of here with that monster still alive chasing our asses, the only thing to do is.....". Then, they hear a loud bang, followed by heavy footsteps that come closer and closer..... The tension rises, and then Brad says "It's him. He's found us." They quickly run out of the Stars office and make their way through the corridor only to have Nemesis appear in a cutscene.This will be Brad's death scene, as Nemesis grapples his with his tentacle, drags him towards him and then shoves a tentacle right through head just like in the original. With nowhere else to run, Jill heads north to the shower room and pulls up towards the wall. Just as Nemesis is about to smash right through her, she makes a dodge and Nemesis smashes right through the wall instead (tie-in to RE2). With Nemesis a bit fuzzy from the smash, Jill takes her chance and starts running - this will be a chase sequence and you can't down Nemesis in this part, you have to run through the RPD and escape before he gets you. The problem is that the policemen have put up new barricades since before, so t will be kind of like a tricky maze to find your way out. The only way out is back to where you came from - the parking garage. For example, if you try and make it out to the front gate Nemesis will appear at the outside and make it impossible for you to escape that way. Once down at the parking garage, Jill makes it back to Kendo and knocks on his door, but he refuses to come out. He tells her to grab the key on the wall and then the next plays out the same way as in the actual game.

black 93

It's a decent game. Though I don't understand why they had to cut so much. The remakes of 1 and 2 took nothing out, only added stuff. They took the spiders out of 2 but they replaced them with the G monsters. Hell they even added a new herb combination. REmake 1added the Lisa Trevor subplot, REmake 2 added the Orphanage. Whether or not you enjoyed them or whether or not they added anything worthwhile to the story is besides the point, the point is the remakes offered up something new and didn't take anything out at the same time. 3 took out entire areas, and replaced two areas unique to 3, and also different to 1 and 2 with another Nest lab which is far less interesting than the factory or the park, especially when we've just had a Nest lab in 2. The Nest lab in 3 is also far less interesting and explorable than the one in 2. I could live with them taking out the Park if they had to, but taking out the Clock tower is almost blasphemous to the original. The first 3 RE games each have an area that is distinct to the game and when fans think of the game, the majority think of said area. RE1 was the mansion or the guardhouse depending on who you ask, RE2 was the RPD and I can't speak for anyone else but for me, the clock tower and the park were the most unique areas in 3. The clock tower being for its puzzles and where Jill got infected. The park because we'd spent most of our time in the series in a lab or a large building. Hell even RE7 has a couple memorable locations like Marguerites bug House or Jack's dissection area. I can't think of an area in this new RE3 that sticks out in my mind. Imagine RE1 without the Guardhouse, that's what taking the clock tower out of 3 is like. That being said, I enjoyed the game a lot. Its just strange that Capcom strayed so far from the original when 2 was so faithful, even if it wasn't superior to the original.

Roku

Just beat the game for the first time (yeah, I took my time), and I have to say that I loved it for what it was.

- I liked the pacing, every area felt as big as it needed to be. Everytime I felt like I was getting the hang out of it, the game changed environments and enemies, making it impossible for me to be 100% ready for what was to come.

- On that note, I'm glad they kept certain enemies relegated to certain areas, it made each location feel unique and different from the previous ones, and as I said, it kept me on edge, because I didn't know what to expect.

- I also loved each type of enemy present, each of them felt threatening in its own way. Hunter in particular gave me multiple heart attacks (I started it on hardcore, and wow, are they fast and resilient), I don't even remember the last time I felt this way. While they made a good job upping the enemies in RE2 (2019), I never actually felt scared of them (they're pretty easy to avoid, and slow). RE3 did the opposite, for me.

- While playing, I realized that they didn't really cut as many areas as I first assumed. Most of them are present, but reduced/reworked in a way that makes it hard to notice them.

For example, I didn't realize the cemetery had been reworked in until Carlos said a line about it. The cemetery is now the outside of the police station. Is small, is not as atmospheric (although, that's also an effect of having seen it already in 2 and being acquainted with it), but is present. Same as the park.

I kinda wish we could have explored the park more/have more of it, but as in the original, the park is there just to get you from point A to B, so I'm not exactly heartbroken about it. I also loved 4 of the 5 main areas of the game, and liked the last one, so that helped.

- The only area I really, really wanted to see more of are the streets. In my opinion, RE3's iconic locations weren't represented by a building (although, the recent RE3 made the hospital section iconic), but by Raccoon City itself. The pacing of the game didn't need it per sé, but I definitely did.

- Also, I loved what they did with Nemesis, but I wish we got more of his first phase (first phase!Nemesis fixed everything I didn't like about Mr. X). I can see myself making a save in the higher difficulties just to fight him from time to time. It's a shame we didn't get more of that.

- It's ironic, but at this turn, I'm not a fan of rocket launcher!Nemesis. The part were he's chasing you with it is probably my least favorite part of the game. Luckily is very short.

- Also kinda bummed to not see enhanced ammo make a return. Its such a small thing, but I liked the fact you could level up the ammo for the gun and the Shotgun. Especially with the fact that you can make ammo in RE2 too now, I thought it would be a nice way to differentiate the two.

- On the other hand, I loved all the weapons in this, and how fluid they felt. And of course, I love how the dodge was implemented.

- I also liked the boss fights a lot better than 2, and the soundtrack + sound design as well.

- The game also has some of my fav files of the saga, I especially loved the ones regarding Jill (and Brad).

As of now, I would give the game a 8.5 out of 10, but I think it may change based on how much I like (or dislike) Nightmare and Inferno!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I like your takes Roku - I think you and I have a very similar feeling on this game. Some people were very disappointed by the amount of cut content. And I was disappointed as well, but I still think the game is very good. I'd even give the game a 9 myself.

I think the Dodge mechanic was one of the top implements of the game. It doesn't really make the game that much easier if you're good at it because you still get caught by enemies all the time. And the game didn't make it so that you HAD to dodge every enemy. In fact, in easier modes, you can go through the game without dodging at all. Only on Nightmare/Inferno is it a necessity which I appreciated. I am very happy with the raising of the action in the game without jumping the shark as they say.

I do wish even the well implemented areas were longer. The sewer section lasts for 2 minutes. The RPG section lasts for maybe 5-10 minutes if you know what you're doing. And they didn't add any new locations to the RPD which is kind of sad. There is a section that is permanently blocked off in both RE2 and RE3 REmakes that we could have easily opened the shutter and found a new location. Even the final area of the game can be run through in 10 minutes if you know where you're going. The Hospital was the only location that felt full to me.

Jonipoon

Looking at all the concept art makes me more angry, because it shows that the game was supposed to be bigger and have more locations in earlier development. This is obvious since the concept art from the locations that did end up in the game look exactly the same in-game.

Here's a few locations that I think were supposed to be in the game, based on the concept art:

- More apartments to check out, one with a dead body inside and blood on the walls (perhaps in Jill's apartment building)
- A gas station, possibly with spiders
- An earlier version of Moon's Donuts that is its own separate building, possibly located in a more open area close to the gas station
- A bigger and more explorable convenience store, possibly located in a more open area close to the gas station

Additionally, there's very detailed concept art for Bar Jack that technically did end up in the game, but it was not explorable and just part of a cutscene. Disappointing!

D

Deleted member 21244

Just realize thanks to an image on Twitter that after jill leave nicholai to die, there is actually another helicopters behind the one jill and Carlos take, so nicholai could be very much alive

Exactly like the original, depending on the ending, he die or survive, but his canon fate was never made clear... It's the same in the remake, they still live this ambiguous

Top Bottom