• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake RE3 - Members Reaction Thread

Roku

See this is the main problem I have with this game and the cut content also plays into it, the game over all feels like a high adrenaline rush most of time thanks to cut content and puzzles and you feel like Capcom was more interested in making a exciting zombie horror escape game rather than capturing what i feel was going on with the original RE classic games like RE3 Nemesis where if felt like they where more interested in having you make a slow and engaging journey throw the city of Racoon City and surviving its horrors along the way, this game just felt like a full sprint to me even though it was a fun one at times. The thing is I would have liked this kind of game had it been a side game set in Racoon City but considering it was a REMAKE of a existing game I felt it should have had the same pacing as the original.

Sad to see that somehow RE3 Nemesis was never liked by so many fans namely the ones who are defending/ok with the cut content by saying they never liked puzzles or the game itself in the first place, your entitled to your opinion but I never got the impression on these forums or reddits until this game came out which saddens me as someone who hold the classic trilogy RE1,RE2, and RE3 in high esteem and love the classic games with all my heart and what they did for the series at that time and what they continue to pave the way or today.

I love the original one, it's my fav old style-RE alongside REmake, and I also love its puzzle.

But I always try to make a distinction between what I like and what it works, because I have to, to do my job.

This doesn't mean that I'm 100% objective with what I say (it's pretty much impossible to), but I do try to both form a personal opinion and a more objective one as I play.

To me OG is a 10/10, I still have to finish RE3R, but I don't think I'm going to love it as much as I love OG (simply because OG, is basically everything I love about RE condensed in one little package). Objectively though, I do realize that OG was very flawed in certain areas (flaws that I loved, but still flaws that I have to admit), and I understand why Capcom had to rework most of it, and why the same was not required for 2 (despite the fact I've always loved OG 3 more than OG 2).

This doesn't mean that what Capcom did was perfect, or in certain instances great, it just means I get why they tried to fix it in the first place.

I guess it helps that I'm not trying to replace the OG with the remake (and honestly, I don't think that was ever Capcom's intention, which is why they put so much emphasis on the word re-immagination instead of remake), to me they are two different side of the same coin, and they offer me different aspects of the same story.

What I love about OG 3, isn't being replaced, it's just that RE3R is giving me new things to love.

This doesn't mean I love everything either, or I think it's perfect, but I'll talk about it's pros and cons once I'll finish the game.

Last edited:

ToCool74

Veteran Member
This doesn't mean that what Capcom did was perfect, or in certain instances great, it just means I get why they tried to fix it in the first place.

Oh I get why they did what they did, my personal opinion is that this game was made in a shorter period of time and with less money and thus it feels like it may have been a "rush job" which is why they could not go though the trouble of adding things like puzzles and had to cut certain areas/enemies like the Clock Tower, Park, and Dead Factory due to the constraints they had, or maybe it was them trying to be more practical or "realistic" like others are saying?

In any case I feel like a broken record saying this but I will always maintain that a remake should still retain what made the game they are remaking great while also improving and updating it for new audiences and I have always felt that RE1 remake is the perfect example of how to do a remake right and even RE2 remake to a extent still managed to keep what made RE2 great intact but with this RE3 remake there is so many things cut and gone and the game just does not have the same "feel" of the original that felt more like a slow burn yet enjoyable survival horror escape while this game feels more like a full on sprint type of horror game, just does not seem like a good remake to me but it definitely is a good game in itself.

So thought I would clear that up, I understand the reasons as to WHY the content may have been cut and why the game tonally feels completely different than the original but all I'm saying is that no line of reasoning or explaining away is going to make me not see the flaws I see in this remake which I felt could have done a better job adapting one of my favorite games in the series.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Beat the game a little while ago and what a blast. I think the game really picks up by the time you're at the hospital. It was very eerie and I struggled with the upgraded Hunters (who had very Predator-like mandibles going on) while playing as Carlos. Loved how they've developed Carlos' section of the game, as it was very intense. I am totally on board now with the Carlos/Jill ship. It might be my favorite story development from this game. :lol:

I agree with @Rain611 on never being crazy about the original RE3: Nemesis game. As she pointed out, you always had the choice to run away from him in the game, but in the remake I felt as though I had no choice but to stay and fight him at times, specifically while trying to run across the map to get to another location. He's definitely not underused, perhaps those fans mean 'misused' which I can agree with that to an extent.

I completely agree that they should have toned down on the chase and action in the beginning. This is the beginning of Raccoon City's demise so let it burn slowly. Let Jill meet up with Brad in the chaos and zombie infested streets and have them end up in the bar where Brad buys Jill some time to escape the hoard. A bit later on they should have had Brad appear again to meet Jill, having miraculously escaped from the zombies, and then Nemesis make his first appearance. This would actually let us see Nemesis take out an actual S.T.A.R.S. member and introduces the character in a similar fashion to the original.

I think that simple change up would have helped big time with the beginning pacing.

Otherwise I loved all the other changes made and think that the last 2 boss fights against Nemesis were fun to play through.
Seriously loved the the queen alien vibes with the final form of Nemesis. It was also brilliantly established as to why he was a blob at the end.

Another thing I want to mention is that I adore Jill's sass in this game and think they developed her perfectly. She has every right not to trust Umbrella and it's employees. Her guard is up and she has a bite to her. Her personality finally fits what we've always known about Jill Valentine.

EDIT:
I'd give this game an 8/10. This remake has shown me that the original story within RE3 truly has a place in the numbered titles as it expands on the core characters and lore in a great way. I love RE2's remake more though as the story is more endearing for me and was adapted damn near perfectly. I'd give RE2 remake a 9.5/10 for reference.

I do wish that Jill got the chance to run into Marvin and Brad again. This game also makes me wonder where Barry was in all of this madness as they made no mention of him and didn't include him in the ending.

Last edited:

Roku

Oh I get why they did what they did, my personal opinion is that this game was made in a shorter period of time and with less money and thus it feels like it may have been a "rush job" which is why they could not go though the trouble of adding things like puzzles and had to cut certain areas/enemies like the Clock Tower, Park, and Dead Factory due to the constraints they had, or maybe it was them trying to be more practical or "realistic" like others are saying?

In any case I feel like a broken record saying this but I will always maintain that a remake should still retain what made the game they are remaking great while also improving and updating it for new audiences and I have always felt that RE1 remake is the perfect example of how to do a remake right and even RE2 remake to a extent still managed to keep what made RE2 great intact but with this RE3 remake there is so many things cut and gone and the game just does not have the same "feel" of the original that felt more like a slow burn yet enjoyable survival horror escape while this game feels more like a full on sprint type of horror game, just does not seem like a good remake to me but it definitely is a good game in itself.

So thought I would clear that up, I understand the reasons as to WHY the content may have been cut and why the game tonally feels completely different than the original but all I'm saying is that no line of reasoning or explaining away is going to make me not see the flaws I see in this remake which I felt could have done a better job adapting one of my favorite games in the series.

From what I remember, the ex-senior editor of Game Informer (which followed the game development closely and had more input in what was going on at the time) said that RE3 was developed alongside 2, the games were meant to come out and be sold as one/be a part of the same package (same as RE3 and Resistance), but they've come across some big problems during the course of 3's development and that was also slowing down the development of 2 as well, so they've decided to divide the two games to both continue working on 2 in peace/working on the final touches and put it out of the way and give an extra year of development to 3 (the game had more or less, 3 years of development, it wasn't rushed).

With 1 they made a remake because they wanted to replace the original (Mikami wasn't satisfied with it and wasn't happy with how it aged), with 2 and 3 they made companion pieces to the originals/re-immaginations because that wasn't the intention. Was it the right call? That's hard to say, and mostly depends on who you ask to, since both have their pros an cons, and mostly comes down to personal preferences. I won't share mine until after I'll beat RE3R.

This said, I think RE3R's structure is a result of being tied to 2, and of budgets problem (that extra year of development must have been hard), although things as the clock tower and puzzle being cut, is more a result of the first than the later imo.

Last edited:

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I've had to write an article about this in the past and from what I remember, the ex-senior editor of Game Informer (which followed the game development closely and had more input in what was going on at the time) said that RE3 was developed alongside 2, the games were meant to come out and be sold as one/be a part of the same package (same as RE3 and Resistance), but they've come across some big problems during the course of 3's development and that was also slowing down the development of 2 as well, so they've decided to divide the two games to both continue working on 2 in peace/working on the final touches and put it out of the way and give an extra year of development to 3 (the game had more or less, 3 years of development, it wasn't rushed).

Source for this info?

Not that I don't believe you but I always like to read the info myself when it comes to these kinds of things.

It having been in development supposedly for three years does not take away from the theory that it could have been rushed due to unforseen issues with development causing issues during that time period and thus creating wasted time that could have been devoted to content that eventually got cut, you said yourself that they had issues with developing 2 and 3 simultaneously so how do you know that time spent may have not gone to waste and thus that extra year needed was enough merely to save the game's development rather than save the cut content?

Prime example for instance is FFXV, that game "technically" had 10 years of development but due to behind the scenes issues and budget constraints that came thanks to those issues it only turned out that actually 3 to 4 of those years actually mattered and went into the final game.

Not saying for 100% sure any of this is a absolute fact but I think its a possibility we should definitely consider given the cut content and what I felt myself playing the game.

Roku

Source for this info?

Not that I don't believe you but I always like to read the info myself when it comes to these kinds of things.

It having been in development supposedly for three years does not take away from the theory that it could have been rushed due to unforseen issues with development causing issues during that time period and thus creating wasted time that could have been devoted to content that eventually got cut, you said yourself that they had issues with developing 2 and 3 simultaneously so how do you know that time spent may have not gone to waste and thus that extra year needed was enough merely to save the game's development rather than save the cut content?

Prime example for instance is FFXV, that game "technically" had 10 years of development but due to behind the scenes issues and budget constraints that came thanks to those issues it only turned out that actually 3 to 4 of those years actually mattered and went into the final game.

Not saying for 100% sure any of this is a absolute fact but I think its a possibility we should definitely consider given the cut content and what I felt myself playing the game.

This isn't the source I've used, but it's the original one. Play it at minute 25:00

Not saying that the budget didn't play a big part in this (which is why I think, we didn't get stuff like mercenaries), but I do think that some of the cuts were a result of being meant to be a part of the same package as RE2. Obviously, this is just a theory of mine, but I do think that some design choices makes a lot of sense when you put this two games together, like they were meant to be.

I can see them thinking something of the lines of "you know what? Puzzles make no sense in the context of an open area, like Raccoon City, let's put them were we can, like the police station" or "You know what, we've already put a clock tower in the first part of the game (RE2), kinda, RE3's would feel like a repeat of that mixed with the mansion of one, maybe it's better to cut it out and focus on more unique areas, like the hospital".

Again, this is just speculation, but to me most of this choices makes sense seen as that. Obviously, those choices made less sense after they divided the games, but by that point, most of the game was made, so they had to stick with their original vision of it.

Last edited:

ToCool74

Veteran Member
This isn't the source I've used for my article, but it's the original one. Play it at minute 25:00

Not saying that the budget didn't play a big part in this (which is why I think, we didn't get stuff like mercenaries), but I do think that some of the cuts were a result of being meant to be a part of the same package as RE2. Obviously, this is just a theory of mine, but I do think that some design choices makes a lot of sense when you put this two games together, like they were meant to be.

I can see them thinking something of the lines of "you know what? Puzzles make no sense in the context of an open area, like Raccoon City, let's put them were we can, like the police station" or "You know what, we've already put a clock tower in the first part of the game (RE2), kinda, RE3's would feel like a repeat of that mixed with the mansion of one, maybe it's better to cut it out and focus on more unique areas, like the hospital".

Again, this is just speculation, but to me most of this choices makes sense seen as that. Obviously, those choices made less sense after they divided the games, but by that point, most of the game was made, so they had to stick with their original vision of it.

Watched the video and it seems like a educated guess those 3 years with the key term "I THINK it was 3 years" but for the sake of argument sure lets say 3 years but my point of unforseen issues and budget constraints would still stand to the reason of the game feeling like a rush job.

To add to my FFXV point from my previous point there is a interesting parallel between the two critics wise which is that the second part of both games feel VERY linear in comparison to the early parts of their respective games, in the case of FFXV it had a openworld setting so this was felt much more there but the similarities are still there, as I said FFXV had a development time of 10 years but due to issues developing the game behind the scenes as well as changes in producers and writers etc only a small part of that 10 years mattered with the final number of development time that was worth anything being 3 to 4 years, now with FFXV it turns out thanks to modding that fans where able to find out that there was a intended second openworld area completely separate from the one from the beginning and you are still able to explore it fully but due to constraints and the team being rushed to meet a deadline it turned out work was stopped and they instead opted to seal the area off so players could not get there.

My point with the long rant is that even if 3 years was the development time of RE3 remake that does not mean it could not have suffered a similar yet obviously different fate of games like FFXV in the sense that only part of that development length could have actually mattered to the full game and the cut content and budget contributing that would mean we would get a game that could have had more content and playtime that instead was cut down.

Sure it could be a convenient explaination from Capcom and others that maybe these things where cut due to whether or not they made sense in the context of the game they where going for and who knows maybe thats true? But regardless I still in my own opinion think that instead what we got is a game with Capcom using what they had to work with which may have not be ideal to what they could have accomplished if they had more time or a better budget.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Aaaaaaaaalright.

Just finished the game. I'd give it a 6/10 because to me it's rather disappointing. I'm probably in the minority here, because it seems like even though most of you guys recognize its flaws you still enjoyed it in the end. I'm seriously not OK with how much they've changed from the OG. If RE2 remake was a slight reimagination of the original RE2, then this version of RE3 is basically like a completely different game that only borrows a few aspects from the original RE3.

First of all, contrary to what others have said I think the first part of the game up until Jill reaches the subway is terrible. Let me explain why:
Depending how you see it, what was originally about 1 hour of slow-buildup gameplay in the OG has been reduced to a 10 minute action chase scene that rushes Brad's role, fails to expand on Dario's character, and most importantly ruins the surprise of Nemesis. I literally couldn't believe my eyes when I was thrown into a boss fight with Nemesis after only 10 minutes. Yes, it's very well done from a cinematic standpoint, and its very intense to run alongside Brad and see citizens running around, fires burning, helicopters flying above and so on, but the replay value for this part is non-existent since most of it is just cutscenes anyway. It is a SHAME really, because I absolutely LOVED the first few minutes in Jill's apartment. It was such a joy exploring the apartment, turning the lights on, reading the files on the wall and just oozing in the atmosphere - pure joy indeed. It really felt like I was playing a detective game, and I was building up my expectations on how Jill was going to break out. I had a moment and then it was ruined by Nemesis smashing through the wall....

So yes, the game feels incredibly rushed, probably because it IS rushed. Although I really liked the interactions and cutscenes between the characters, the actual game is a disappointment because it doesn't feel like RE3 at all. It's not just that they cut out like 40% of the original's levels, they didn't even pay respect to the levels they decided to keep. Like others have said before, the part from the demo was the best part of the game because it felt like a faithful modern adaptation of the streets of Raccoon City we saw in the OG, both visually and gameplay-wise because it featured genuine backtracking and multiple paths. The rest isn't. I can understand that some alterations had to be made to fit the new engine, and therefore I wasn't mad that they cut out small areas like Raccoon Press or the apartment building where Jill and Carlos escapes from Nemesis. But...
...come on, SO much else is cut out and changed its laughable. No graveyard, no Grave Digger boss, no park segment, no City hall, no gas station explosion, but most importantly no Clock Tower! The Clock Tower is an iconic location, why did they decide to reduce it to a generic boss fight with Nemesis in the outdoors? Worst of all, the games teases you with a pamphlet talking about the Clock Towers restoration yet we don't get to see it. Lol it felt like Capcom gave me the finger. The Clock Tower could've been a great throwback to the Spencer Mansion since it has a similar architectural design.

What bugs me the most is that it feels like everything is there, had they just decided to develop the game further for another year. When I walked over the bridge to the Clock Tower it felt so immersive and atmospheric... and then its ruined by another scripted chase scene. Sigh.

The game does get more enjoyable at the end though, as I feel the
extended version of the hospital was very well done. Its probably my second favorite area of the game after the demo part. I really like that you're able to backtrack the hospital with Jill afterwards and lockpick all the locks, but there are new enemies appearing which made the backtracking feel fresh. Still, I think the barricade part with Carlos protecting Jill from hordes of zombies was a bit too "actiony" for my taste. I generally dislike that in games, when you're stuck in a place and have to fight off incoming monsters until a certain time has passed.

NEST 2 was a pleasant surprise as I expected the game to be pretty much over after the hospital. I also really enjoyed the two final boss fights with Nemesis a lot, and Jill has some really amazing dialogue in these parts. It was great to see her become more like her former OG self here, so at least the game didn't end that badly which is why I still give it 6/10 and not an even lower score.

All in all I feel like this whole game is a big missed opportunity. There is unfortunately some really good stuff under the surface, and as I mentioned before I wish they had spent another year developing this game into a more coherent and faithful reimagining. When the game is good, it is REALLY good, and that's a shame.

Lastly, I find it ridiculous that
They cut out Jill going to the RPD to get the lockpick, yet they still make finding and using the lockpick an integral part of the game? Personally I'd much have preferred to play as Jill in the RPD.

Roku

Watched the video and it seems like a educated guess those 3 years with the key term "I THINK it was 3 years" but for the sake of argument sure lets say 3 years but my point of unforseen issues and budget constraints would still stand to the reason of the game feeling like a rush job.

To add to my FFXV point from my previous point there is a interesting parallel between the two critics wise which is that the second part of both games feel VERY linear in comparison to the early parts of their respective games, in the case of FFXV it had a openworld setting so this was felt much more there but the similarities are still there, as I said FFXV had a development time of 10 years but due to issues developing the game behind the scenes as well as changes in producers and writers etc only a small part of that 10 years mattered with the final number of development time that was worth anything being 3 to 4 years, now with FFXV it turns out thanks to modding that fans where able to find out that there was a intended second openworld area completely separate from the one from the beginning and you are still able to explore it fully but due to constraints and the team being rushed to meet a deadline it turned out work was stopped and they instead opted to seal the area off so players could not get there.

My point with the long rant is that even if 3 years was the development time of RE3 remake that does not mean it could not have suffered a similar yet obviously different fate of games like FFXV in the sense that only part of that development length could have actually mattered to the full game and the cut content and budget contributing that would mean we would get a game that could have had more content and playtime that instead was cut down.

Sure it could be a convenient explaination from Capcom and others that maybe these things where cut due to whether or not they made sense in the context of the game they where going for and who knows maybe thats true? But regardless I still in my own opinion think that instead what we got is a game with Capcom using what they had to work with which may have not be ideal to what they could have accomplished if they had more time or a better budget.

I'm not arguing your point though?
Although, I don't think the game it's exactly rushed (not time wise), I think it feels so because of how it was executed (this, I think, was one of the problems of its development, but again, this is just speculation), which I suppose, it's similar to what you're saying but using different words?

He said 3 years based on what he remembered of the conversation with Capcom's staff (and was probably making the math in his head about how long it passed since his little conversation), so even if he wasn't 100% accurate with his statement, it'd still be about that same length (maybe a bit less or a bit more). I'm not really interested in this kind of stuff, but from what I remember, he's close to someone important in Capcom which is why he's considered reliable in his statement, and had this kind of Intel.

But anyway, you're right when you say that we have no way to know what 100% went off during development and that the budget (while not small, and probably big enough to do what they meant to do pre-development problems) was a problem when it come to extra stuff like mercenaries etc...

Last edited:

ToCool74

Veteran Member
But anyway, you're right when you say that we have no way to know what 100% went off during development and that the budget (while not small, and probably big enough to do what they meant to do pre-development problems) was a problem when it come to extra stuff like mercenaries etc...

Thats where we differ, I don't consider those cut things like Mercenaries Mode, Puzzles, Clock Tower, Dead Factory, Park , Grave Digger battle etc as simply "extra stuff" I as well as others considered it should have been considered essential to a game that is a remake of the original and by cutting those things it makes the game lose what made the game your remaking what it is, I said it before and I'll say it again this was a fun and good game but it was a very bad remake due to what it lost along the way.

But we are just talking in circles now, lets agree to disagree and move on since obviously neither of us are going to budge on our stance.

Jonipoon

Good points @ToCool74 and I agree with everything you just said. If you haven't played the original RE3 and just got off fresh from playing the RE2 remake last year, I think you will enjoy this game a lot more. Also it seems as if many people who didn't like the original RE3 are more positive to this "remake". But for me, as a massive fan of the original, I can't accept it.

So yeah, I wouldn't really call it a remake.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Aaaaaaaaalright.

Just finished the game. I'd give it a 6/10 because to me it's rather disappointing. I'm probably in the minority here, because it seems like even though most of you guys recognize its flaws you still enjoyed it in the end. I'm seriously not OK with how much they've changed from the OG. If RE2 remake was a slight reimagination of the original RE2, then this version of RE3 is basically like a completely different game that only borrows a few aspects from the original RE3.

First of all, contrary to what others have said I think the first part of the game up until Jill reaches the subway is terrible. Let me explain why:
Depending how you see it, what was originally about 1 hour of slow-buildup gameplay in the OG has been reduced to a 10 minute action chase scene that rushes Brad's role, fails to expand on Dario's character, and most importantly ruins the surprise of Nemesis. I literally couldn't believe my eyes when I was thrown into a boss fight with Nemesis after only 10 minutes. Yes, it's very well done from a cinematic standpoint, and its very intense to run alongside Brad and see citizens running around, fires burning, helicopters flying above and so on, but the replay value for this part is non-existent since most of it is just cutscenes anyway. It is a SHAME really, because I absolutely LOVED the first few minutes in Jill's apartment. It was such a joy exploring the apartment, turning the lights on, reading the files on the wall and just oozing in the atmosphere - pure joy indeed. It really felt like I was playing a detective game, and I was building up my expectations on how Jill was going to break out. I had a moment and then it was ruined by Nemesis smashing through the wall....

So yes, the game feels incredibly rushed, probably because it IS rushed. Although I really liked the interactions and cutscenes between the characters, the actual game is a disappointment because it doesn't feel like RE3 at all. It's not just that they cut out like 40% of the original's levels, they didn't even pay respect to the levels they decided to keep. Like others have said before, the part from the demo was the best part of the game because it felt like a faithful modern adaptation of the streets of Raccoon City we saw in the OG, both visually and gameplay-wise because it featured genuine backtracking and multiple paths. The rest isn't. I can understand that some alterations had to be made to fit the new engine, and therefore I wasn't mad that they cut out small areas like Raccoon Press or the apartment building where Jill and Carlos escapes from Nemesis. But...
...come on, SO much else is cut out and changed its laughable. No graveyard, no Grave Digger boss, no park segment, no City hall, no gas station explosion, but most importantly no Clock Tower! The Clock Tower is an iconic location, why did they decide to reduce it to a generic boss fight with Nemesis in the outdoors? Worst of all, the games teases you with a pamphlet talking about the Clock Towers restoration yet we don't get to see it. Lol it felt like Capcom gave me the finger. The Clock Tower could've been a great throwback to the Spencer Mansion since it has a similar architectural design.

What bugs me the most is that it feels like everything is there, had they just decided to develop the game further for another year. When I walked over the bridge to the Clock Tower it felt so immersive and atmospheric... and then its ruined by another scripted chase scene. Sigh.

The game does get more enjoyable at the end though, as I feel the
extended version of the hospital was very well done. Its probably my second favorite area of the game after the demo part. I really like that you're able to backtrack the hospital with Jill afterwards and lockpick all the locks, but there are new enemies appearing which made the backtracking feel fresh. Still, I think the barricade part with Carlos protecting Jill from hordes of zombies was a bit too "actiony" for my taste. I generally dislike that in games, when you're stuck in a place and have to fight off incoming monsters until a certain time has passed.

NEST 2 was a pleasant surprise as I expected the game to be pretty much over after the hospital. I also really enjoyed the two final boss fights with Nemesis a lot, and Jill has some really amazing dialogue in these parts. It was great to see her become more like her former OG self here, so at least the game didn't end that badly which is why I still give it 6/10 and not an even lower score.

All in all I feel like this whole game is a big missed opportunity. There is unfortunately some really good stuff under the surface, and as I mentioned before I wish they had spent another year developing this game into a more coherent and faithful reimagining. When the game is good, it is REALLY good, and that's a shame.

Lastly, I find it ridiculous that
They cut out Jill going to the RPD to get the lockpick, yet they still make finding and using the lockpick an integral part of the game? Personally I'd much have preferred to play as Jill in the RPD.
Yeah I agree that the very beginning of the game is off with the pacing and story decisions. RPD should have been Jill and Brad’s first thought on where to go and their main destination before Nemesis showed up.

Jill could have interacted with Marvin for a few, perhaps even mention that Barry and Chris skipped town, and we’d get to see the police station before it appears as it does in Carlos’ RPD bit as well as RE2’s. Then they could have had Brad get killed off by Nemesis which would lead to a good fight in the streets with Nemesis before Carlos comes to the rescue.

And we should have had the opportunity to visit Dario again.

And yes, that clock tower article that you find is a tease. I do feel bad for those who were anticipating exploring that part of the game.

But I’m one of those who thinks it’s a bit of a rehash of exploring RE2’s clock tower. Also, the fact that it resembled the mansion doesn’t really move me. Not every mansion/house/building in RE needs to depict similarities to the mansion... but to each their own.

That said, the rest I enjoyed very much in terms of how the story/game unfolds. It’s not perfect but I personally think it deserves a higher rating because what’s good is really good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

I'm not arguing your point though?
Although, I don't think the game it's exactly rushed (not time wise), I think it feels so because of how it was executed (this, I think, was one of the problems of its development, but again, this is just speculation), which I suppose, it's similar to what you're saying but using different words?

He said 3 years based on what he remembered of the conversation with Capcom's staff (and was probably making the math in his head about how long it passed since his little conversation), so even if he wasn't 100% accurate with his statement, it'd still be about that same length (maybe a bit less or a bit more). I'm not really interested in this kind of stuff, but from what I remember, he's close to someone important in Capcom which is why he's considered reliable in his statement, and had this kind of Intel.

Yeah peter fabiano the producer of re 3 remake say that development lasted roughly 3 years, also thr fact that re 2 remake and re 3 remake were part of one package are just unconfirmed rumor that could be true or false

Regarding the cut content
This wasn't an extra stuff

It was a part of the games, an important part too
As much as I enjoyed re 3 remake I still think that part should have been in the remake, it was the best area of the original game
Maybe people who didn't play the original will be ok whit it, since the game move smoothly whitout it, but for people like us who played the original, it will always be an important missing part in the remake, and unforgivable cut

Jonipoon

Yeah I agree that the very beginning of the game is off with the pacing and story decisions. RPD should have been Jill and Brad’s first thought on where to go and their main destination before Nemesis showed up.

They should had Jill interact with Marvin for a few, perhaps even mention that Barry and Chris skipped town, and get to see the police station before it appears as it does in Carlos’ RPD bit as well as RE2’s. And seen Brad get killed off by Nemesis and have a good fight in the streets before Carlos comes to the rescue.

That said, the rest I enjoyed very much in terms of how the story/game unfolds. It’s not perfect but I personally think it deserves a higher rating because what’s good is really good.

And yes, that clock tower article that you find is a tease. I do feel bad for those who were anticipating exploring that part of the game.

Although I can also see where some would think it’s a bit of a rehash of exploring RE2’s clock tower. Also, the fact that it resembled the mansion doesn’t really move me. Not every mansion/house/building needs to depict similarities to the mansion... but to each their own.
As much as I liked the scene with Marvin having to shoot Brad (great blending with his line from RE2 remake: "Uniform or not"), it ultimately felt like a strange cameo ala fan service that didn't fit with the pacing. And by changing Brad's death is makes Nemesis look completely useless. At least in the original he managed to fulfill his mission by killing at least one member of S.T.A.R.S.

I was also disappointed to see that they did nothing to flesh out Dario's role. After Marvin and others got expanded roles in RE2 remake I was expecting them to do more with characters like Dario, but nope, nada. It was however pretty sweet that they kept his classic line "I'd rather starve to death in here than be eaten by one of those undead monsters!".

I think it makes perfect sense for the Clock Tower to depict similarities to the mansion, since it has ties to Umbrella and therefore Spencer. But yeah, to each their own.

Roku

Thats where we differ, I don't consider those cut things like Mercenaries Mode, Puzzles, Clock Tower, Dead Factory, Park , Grave Digger battle etc as simply "extra stuff" I as well as others considered it should have been considered essential to a game that is a remake of the original and by cutting those things it makes the game lose what made the game your remaking what it is, I said it before and I'll say it again this was a fun and good game but it was a very bad remake due to what it lost along the way.

But we are just talking in circles now, lets agree to disagree and move on since obviously neither of us are going to budge on our stance.

I was not talking about the cut areas when I said extra stuff (which is why I didn't mentioned them), but about stuff like mercenaries mode, extra costumes etc... Stuff that wasn't a part of the story mode, and that was cut because of budget related problems. I don't consider environments or gameplay mechanics as such.

And when I said extra stuff, I didn't mean it as useless or not important but as extra modes. I should have explained it better, but I didn't know how to (english isn't my first language, so I find it hard at times to explain what I think).

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium

THANK YOU!!! That was actually the first thing that made me reconsider getting the game at release when I spoiled myself, and for days I've been biting my lip (well, technically my fingers in this case) to not say anything because I didn't want to spoil it for others.
The beginning of the game basically has you rushing from set piece to set piece while quickly introducing and then forgetting about characters and story elements that were important in the original, as if Capcom were working off a checklist to make sure they can't be blamed for not including this or that in the remake, because it is there... you probably just missed it because you blinked at the wrong time. And I felt the same about the inclusion of Marvin and Kendo, they even featured them in one of the trailers to get us excited, and then did away with them so quickly, it just felt forced. Speaking of trailers, it's also funny to rewatch them now and realise that like 75% of what they showed early on, including the exploding helicopter and Jill driving Nemesis off a roof, happens within those first ten minutes of the game.

And at first I thought, hey, maybe I'm being too harsh here! Maybe the person I watched playing the game simply rushed through it when they didn't have to, and that's why they encountered Carlos so fast. But reading similar reports from people on this forum who have actually played the game for themselves proves that I wasn't imagining things.
So yeah, I definitely don't mind waiting for a sale.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
THANK YOU!!! That was actually the first thing that made me reconsider getting the game at release when I spoiled myself, and for days I've been biting my lip (well, technically my fingers in this case) to not say anything because I didn't want to spoil it for others.
The beginning of the game basically has you rushing from set piece to set piece while quickly introducing and then forgetting about characters and story elements that were important in the original, as if Capcom were working off a checklist to make sure they can't be blamed for not including this or that in the remake, because it is there... you probably just missed it because you blinked at the wrong time. And I felt the same about the inclusion of Marvin and Kendo, they even featured them in one of the trailers to get us excited, and then did away with them so quickly, it just felt forced. Speaking of trailers, it's also funny to rewatch them now and realise that like 75% of what they showed early on, including the exploding helicopter and Jill driving Nemesis off a roof, happens within those first ten minutes of the game.

And at first I thought, hey, maybe I'm being too harsh here! Maybe the person I watched playing the game simply rushed through it when they didn't have to, and that's why they encountered Carlos so fast. But reading similar reports from people on this forum who have actually played the game for themselves proves that I wasn't imagining things.
So yeah, I definitely don't mind waiting for a sale.
Tbh, I thought the same thing when I started watching a video on YouTube that showed someone playing through the beginning. I wasn’t crazy about Nemesis busting through the wall right off the bat and also thought maybe they weren’t exploring the surrounding area enough.

Knowing that ahead of time probably helped ease my disappointment with the beginning.

I see where you’re coming from in terms of it feeling as though Capcom was just checking things off a list to say that it was included.

I think it makes perfect sense for the Clock Tower to depict similarities to the mansion, since it has ties to Umbrella and therefore Spencer. But yeah, to each their own.

Umbrella being involved with its funding is a fair point to make as to why it would appear reminiscent to that of the mansion. Though it doesn’t really change how I feel about them not really including it. To each their own!

All this comparison between the original and remake makes me want to revisit the original again.
Its funny to me how many of the different locations featured in the original just don’t jump out at me. The only thing that really stood out to me specifically is the very beginning of the game as you’re running around the streets of RC. Everything else felt like a rehash of the games that came before it.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Well, my playthrough of Resident Evil 3 was prolonged due to a 2 night Wrestlemania, but I'm done now and holy sh*t, this game is f*cking awful. Seriously, WTF was Capcom thinking? They go from Resident Evil 6, to RE7 and REmake 2, and back to RE6 again?

Some of you are probably p*ssed off right now, so here are my real thoughts. I liked it. Not more than REmake 2 unfortunately, because it sure was looking to be that way from the trailers alone, but I still enjoyed it. For a remake, I thought it was quite adventurous in how they presented certain things in both the story and gameplay. It's just quite odd, because these are things I would rather see them do in a brand new game than in a remake. Like Jill having nightmares, being in her apartment, set-piece moments, the more actiony tone to the story, and so on. I still enjoyed all of it, but it's still kind of strange to see them take such drastic liberties in remaking, retelling, or reimagining this game when these were the kind of things that REmake 2 left the door open for in future installments that can play around and expand on the formula it helped re-establish.

I jokingly compared the game to RE6 but it's actually a rather fair comparison because they're both very similar in that they're both cinematic, set-piece heavy, character driven games, that stack the odds against you. The main difference is that RE3 is still operating with RE2's limited mobility, tighter controls, and slower movements, while most enemy heavy encounters usually occur in tight spaces. At the very core of the game, REmake 3 is a survival horror game, but it balances both its action and horror so phenomenally that it never feels like one is compromising the other. I'd even go so far as to say this game had me far more on edge than RE2 ever did, despite its action fueled tone. Unfortunately, of all the reasons I could list off why that's so, Nemesis is not one of them.

I've stated before that I don't really have any special attachment or nostalgia for the original Resident Evil 3, but if there was one expectation I could set for this remake, it would be the memorable encounters with Nemesis, which this game completely dropped the ball on. As disappointed as I was with Nemesis being far more linear and scripted, the only thing that could disappoint me even further are the less than stellar battles with him. The fact that you don't get to fight him in his regular form more often aside from the one okayish flamethrower fight is a huge bummer. The second time you fight him he's already a mutated beast and you repeat that fight again the third time, only to face him one last time as a stationary blob. I just wasn't feeling any of the battles with Nemesis. The Ustanak offered more of a fight and even Mr. X's final form in RE2. I also had to restart an earlier save for the second battle because the fight is so sudden and basically requires a grenade launcher that I didn't have on me at the time. It just came off poorly set up.

The zombies on the other hand I find myself to be mixed on a lot more because they're not exactly 1 to 1 copies from REmake 2 and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet. I'm very used to knifing zombies while they're down, but that just doesn't seem to be too useful this time around. You can no longer cut off limbs, and they seem to be a lot more aggressive this time, often grabbing you before they're even on their feet, which discourages you from even knifing them at all. You can't even save yourself from a grab with a disposable knife anymore either, which is a whole lot easier than dodging. I don't know whether zombies are more difficult this time, cheap, or if I just haven't fully adapted to them yet, but I found myself getting aggravated at how often they'd touch me. The only time knifing was ever a good idea is when you shoot a leg off so they stay down, which isn't always smart either as zombies usually appear in large groups, which just makes the increase in their individual difficulty feel unnecessary. I also wasn't a fan of the forced button mashing QTE when zombies grab you now. No matter what, you're taking damage, so why even mash buttons like it's gonna make a difference?

Length was a major concern for me but after playing it, I don't get the complaint. Yeah, they cut things, but that doesn't necessarily disrupt the flow of the game or make it feel like there's less to do around the environments. It certainly didn't feel short, and it's certainly not lacking replay value either. As for the lack of puzzles, while I firmly believe puzzles are an integral part of the Resident Evil experience and do wish this game would have implemented them a little more, I can't honestly say the lack of them here hurt my enjoyment of the game.

I didn't even mind the linear segments too much because it never really stayed that way too long. The game opens with a linear sequence, and then you're thrust into an open area with backtracking. Once that's over, you're Carlos in the RPD and that segment was beautifully done with how it set up memorable moments from RE2, so no complaint from me here. Then you're Jill for a boss fight and now you're back to the more familiar backtracking formula with the hospital which was by far the highlight of the game for me with how slow paced and tense it was, and those damn hunters! F*cking great.

I've always credited Resident Evil 4's cabin sequence as one of the few legitimate survival horror moments in the game, and it's always good to see it brought back as it ramps up the action without losing the intensity and urgency of a survival horror encounter and it was done extremely well here. I'd even say the lab was better than RE2's lab, mainly because the insane amount of Pale Heads, which were huge game changers from the standard zombie and not as cheap as the Ivys.

Overall, I really did enjoy Resident Evil 3 REmake. It may not be a great remake, but as another entry in the Resident Evil franchise, I think it's a great game with a solid direction that yet again propels the series forward in terms of the tonal and cinematic range they can achieve without comprising survival horror. It's the perfect marriage between the classic and more action heavy Resident Evil games, which was a compromise I've always believed had potential after RE6's failure, until RE7 complicated things.

The sad thing is, this game only further highlights my disappointment with the future of this series if all the rumors and leaks are indeed true about Resident Evil 8 continuing to be a departure from the series. All this hard work that these teams have put into Resident Evil 2 and 3 just feel like they were wasted on remakes rather than brand new installments because even though they may have missed the mark in perfectly capturing the games they're remaking, they're still shining examples of what this series can be in the modern age. These are the kind of games I wanted since RE4, and I can only imagine what else they could do with this style of game without being limited to the ideas and conventions of older titles, which REmake 3 boldly attempts with great success. But there's still potential for further growth, and we'll probably never see that potential as long as they continue distancing themselves from the rest of the series by catering to VR and all the newcomers who hopped on with RE7.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

@Turo602 I feel like we've had basically the same experience with this game, the only difference is that I've never played RE6 and I hold the original RE3 in very nostalgic regard.

They definitely took too many liberties in terms of changing up the story and gameplay, and like you mention its surprising why they decided to do this since its such a huge departure from the original. It's not even that similar to RE2 remake in terms of structure, so its mindboggling how these two remakes were developed side by side. Yes, they use the same engine and look similar on the surface, but that's where the similarities end. The RE2 remake was a survival horror game first and foremost, with huge emphasis on exploration and backtracking. It never once felt too "actiony" except for one small part where Leon is chased by a gator. This retelling of RE3 (yes I call it retelling) feels more like 30% survival horror and 70% action set pieces.

RE3 remake is a beautifully crafted game and its quite enjoyable, especially the hospital and lab parts. It's not short, but the fast-paced linear structure as well as complete disregard of countless of classic locations makes it feel rushed. I will never accept the fact that they cut out so many important locations like the Clock tower.

The game isn't bad, its just a bad remake of RE3.

Top Bottom