• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question about mutations

Trinity

This might seem a bit silly,but I've been asking myself this for quite some time..

In the games,movies,books,etc. We can see that the bosses mutate 2-3 times...
Now I just wanted to know,how? Do they do it willingly or is their body programed to do it?

Trinity

Might be...But isn't there a possibility that there's a psychological trigger? Anger or something like that? :)

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
i guess so yeah, going on the basis on nemesis..he seems to evolve the longer you live..so by the end, he's nothing like the original form, and that could be triggered in the mind, to evolve to become stronger so he can over come his enemy.
i really have no idea lol, im just blabbering on.

Fayrra

Schrodinger's Cat
Personally I think what triggers mutations are damages and near death wounds on the infected host's body. The reason I believe this is because normally any monster we have ever faught does not mutate further until we cause it some damage first. And normally (especially with the bosses), there is a temporary period in which the infected host seems like it has died, but eventually comes back even more mutated. However, it is still possible that even if we were not to cause damage to the infected host's body, it would still eventually mutate further. This is given to the unpredictability of the virus. However, the difference would be that by wounding it, you are speeding up its mutation.

NiteKrawler

I think it depends on what is infecting the host. The viruses of Resident Evil seem to mutate only when needed. For example, if you damage the host, the virus will adapt to try to survive by mutating even further. It is kind of like an evolution time lapse. With the Las Plagas on the other hand, it seems to rely on a more psychological trigger. Examples of this are when Krauser, Mendez, and Saddler all seem to mutate exactly when they want to, as if they are controlling it. Great query!

bruno

Chief Researcher
Most of the "unthinking" enemies, like the tyrants, etc only mutate when they're in a dangerous situation or have suffered much damage. Although, in certain cases, especially in the "concious" enemies, the virus appears to have something to do with feelings or willing. For example, In Re4, the some bosses mutate when they want to. As the plagas are controlled via soundwaves, maybe the brainwaves of the host have some kind of effecton the mutation. Vladimir, on the other side, mutates when he's in hanger (and wesker desscribes his mutation as a reflection of that hanger). Maybe when you feel specific emotions, or you have an external stimulation, the hormones released into the blood interfere with the infeccious agent (virus, parasite, ...), accelerating the mutation.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
NiteKrawler;40212 said:
I think it depends on what is infecting the host. The viruses of Resident Evil seem to mutate only when needed. For example, if you damage the host, the virus will adapt to try to survive by mutating even further. It is kind of like an evolution time lapse. With the Las Plagas on the other hand, it seems to rely on a more psychological trigger. Examples of this are when Krauser, Mendez, and Saddler all seem to mutate exactly when they want to, as if they are controlling it. Great query!
Well if we take Mendez as example, he mutates first when he is blown to pieces more or less, and the final mutation is when he is shot/blown further to pieces. I have not seen all bosses, but I'm almost sure that it's triggered by injuries. It might be a combination, but I think it's the injuries that's triggering it.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Hmmm, I think it does depend on the virus, as G makes the host go through constant mutation, and no doubt Birkin, Curtis, and even Morpheus would have all continued to mutate, if it weren't for their deaths in a large explosion.

Some seem to be able to trigger it however, like Alexia(who went into a 15 year cryogenic sleep to gain such control) and maybe even Sergei.

It also seems to be triggered by stress or damage perhaps, like when a Tyrant mutates into a Super Tyrant, like Mr. X, the T-0400tp and numerous others.:)

NiteKrawler

Romero;40240 said:
Well if we take Mendez as example, he mutates first when he is blown to pieces more or less, and the final mutation is when he is shot/blown further to pieces. I have not seen all bosses, but I'm almost sure that it's triggered by injuries. It might be a combination, but I think it's the injuries that's triggering it.

Yeah I forgot about that. But the others still apply.

Levan

Polkka. lol
Plagas are kind of different from the other viruses, right?. It's not created in anyway(especially by Birkin) but instead is a natural parasite(unless the Salazar family made it themselves?).

Maybe it really does depend on the virus/parasite, but I do know that the mutations with the T-veronica virus(when adapted to the body) and some special plagas(like what's in Mendez or Saddler, maybe)can be controlled willingly by the host.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Well Las Plagas is a parasite, not a virus, so that is not to be confused with T or G or T-Veronica or any other strains.:)

Las Plagas, like the NE-Alpha Parasite gives the host control and thus making the host, or bio-weapon, more intelligent, this is very much like Nemesis, which is why he could use a rocket launcher and be given orders, like to kill remaining STARS members, and could even speak. Las Plagas was used in a very similar manner, instead of being used on a Tyrant like Nemesis, it was used on humans, making Ganados and Majini.:)

@Levan, you mentioned T-Vernica giving the host control, I did too, but it was mainly just Alexia, as she went to great lenghts to do so, but generally it just makes the host mutate and lose most of their intelligence, like Steve and Alexander(Nosferatu), except Steve had the exception of regaining consciousness, much like Jill in RE5, but otherwise...:)

Levan

Polkka. lol
I think Steve was injected with the T-veronica virus immediately and was not given time to adapt which caused him to mutate, but yes, Steve seemed to have strong willpower like Jill to be able to resist.

I'm guessing Alexander was experimented by the twins even more than Steve, which caused him the complete loss of his intelligence. Maybe it's the real reason on why Steve was able resist it, either that or he really does have strong willpower.

Alexia was able to control her mutation since the virus had adapted in her body after 15 years.

Trinity

Spike991;40247 said:
Some seem to be able to trigger it however, like Alexia(who went into a 15 year cryogenic sleep to gain such control) and maybe even Sergei.

others.:)

And Wesker,who had been able to keep his human form :)?

3rd Mutation

Just a note on Las Plagas, those who have been infected have been infected with an ancient organism that uses mind-controlling turning its victims into mind-controlled humans. Thus, you can't say that they willingly activated their further mutation as the organism is in control of the mutations.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
3rd Mutation;40428 said:
Just a note on Las Plagas, those who have been infected have been infected with an ancient organism that uses mind-controlling turning its victims into mind-controlled humans. Thus, you can't say that they willingly activated their further mutation as the organism is in control of the mutations.

Well Saddler seemed to be able to control his, Salazar(although that is a rough example), and others that were immediately injected, like Ricardo Irving.:)

@Trinity, Wesker's virus was different, it didn't say that his virus caused mutations, with him and Jill being our example of this, and from the file it explained that P30 was a performance enhancer, which was temporary, being the reason why Wesker had to consistently inject an exact amount of the serum PG37.:)

@Levan, You are very right, Steve was injected right then and there, while that may be the reason it was somewhat inaffective and even allowed him to gain consciousness for a moment.:) Alexander, well I am pretty sure he had some testing, but was basically just injected, labeled as a failure(as a BOW and as an Ashford) and then was just locked away with a nice little ax,and he was down there for awhile, under the Antartic facility, as there were those who wrote in diaries about hearing him screaming.:)

NiteKrawler

Spike991;40567 said:
...labeled as a failure(as a BOW and as an Ashford)...

I loled. :)

So P-30 is just a performance enhancer? It has to be something more as I have never seen steroids revive someone who was gutted by a Tyrant...:ermm:

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
NiteKrawler;40630 said:
I loled. :)

So P-30 is just a performance enhancer? It has to be something more as I have never seen steroids revive someone who was gutted by a Tyrant...:ermm:

Thanks I try.:)

Yeah P30 is a performance enhancer, I keep using that term as it was used in the files, but it is obviously something different from what Chris was using(hahaha) and it has regenerative abilities, physical strenght, enhanced speed, etc., was a pretty great virus, with the drawbacks(they all have them) being that it was unstable and needed to be kept in check, or else.:)

Of course many didn't even have the luxury of having to constantly inject themselves with exact amounts of PG37.:)

NiteKrawler

Well I want some P-30! Now all I have to find is a bottle of epic to take and I may transform into Wesker! Oh, I'll need Richard Waugh with me at all times to voice what I'm thinking. :)

Top Bottom