• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Last Game You Finished & Rate it!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I have honestly never played a DOOM game before. It just never appealed to me. If DOOM Eternal goes on crazy sale, I might try it. I like to hear different viewpoints of the series though!

D

Deleted member 21244

I will try DOOM again, but for what i see right now it's really not for me, despite loving every type of game in the world...
Maybe I will be engaged more after more hours in it
But right now is just shooting again and again in badly designed level, they are all the same... My opinion of course

Last edited by a moderator:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
FF7 REMAKE

This is one of the best remakes of a game ever made. The only superior remake is arguably the original REmake. And that all depends on your personal gaming experience.

I won't go in to too much detail because we have another thread dedicated to this game. But damn, this is an addictive experience if you love the original game or if you love Action RPGs. The battling is the best version of a Final Fantasy Action RPG ever made on par with Kingdom Hearts II for how good it feels and how much better it is than its predecessors. The leveling and customization of every character improves the game tenfold. In the original game, minor stat changes determined character classes, but the materia system let you create classes for each character depending on how you wanted them to evolve. But FF7R gives you classes determined by their battle experience and you can edit the stats and abilities to enhance the classes how you see fit. And every character plays slightly differently depending on what goal you're looking for. Cloud plays differently than Barrett and Aeris and Tifa.

The story is wonderful and I like almost all of the changes they made. They fattened up each area to make a unique experience. The visuals are mind bogglingly good, but that is Square Enix for ya. The characters felt like the original characters for better or for worse and it shows a lot of love for the original game. I did not like the wisps of fate intervening in the story line. But there is a very meta reason for them to exist in my opinion. The wisps of fate are the members of the fan base who would be angry if they changed too much about the original game. We exist in the game enforcing that the story plays out the same. Of course it doesn't. And I can see why some people would be mad at the Kingdom Hearts inspired ending of the game. But I thought it was just grandiose enough to warrant the ending of a game. After dungeon after dungeon of steel and concrete, it was nice seeing something a little more mind mending for the finale.

My last major point I'd like to discuss is the music. The original score is one of the greatest video game scores of all time. Every song is deliberate and engaging in one way or the other. And we have had updates to the music since the original iteration, but this game takes those updates and elevates them to 11. The score is perfect. And all of your favorite songs from the original come back in multiple versions in this game. They literally recorded like 4 versions of the Main Theme to play at different times and Aerith's theme gets the same treatment. And by the way, the new music while a lot more electronic influenced is fun and very welcome.

This is my personal game of the year contender so far and I am happy to say I give this game a 10/10.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Bioshock
Finally got around to Bioshock and I was completely caught off guard. I went into this very blind apparently, because I had gone in with certain expectations that I kind of just conjured up on my own based on the little I did know about the series. I had absolutely no clue the game was so Borderlands-esque. It was really throwing me off too because I was expecting tighter first-person gameplay, polished visuals, and a linear adventure, so the floaty movement and economically crafted environments that suit the cooperative and massive nature of Borderlands, didn't match my idea of this highly acclaimed story driven single player game. But after getting used to the reality that this is really no different than Borderlands, I finally started to click with the game.

Unfortunately, these false expectations weren't the only thing hampering my experience early on. The button mapping for example could benefit from some streamlining, but after enough time with the game, switching between the insanely large arsenal of weapons and plasmids does become second nature. But the worst offense is how action prompts and looting share the same button, which can lead to accidental purchases from looting too closely to shopping stations, and more annoyingly, cause you to miss certain audio logs by not activating them fast enough because your screen is filled with a bunch of looting prompts.

Also, maybe I missed something, but I don't recall the Big Daddy/Little Sister dynamic ever being properly explained in game, because it was nothing like what I thought it'd be. Which is how I ended up on a fool's errand when I came across the first Big Daddy and Little Sister. After killing him and saving the girl, more just kept spawning, so I kept killing him until it became too much, only to find out online that you can just leave Big Daddy alone or wait for him to retrieve a Little Sister from a hole in a wall.

This is not a perfect game by any means nor is it even as impressive in 2020 as it once was, but there is still a lot here to hold any player's attention, even one who started the game in a haze over false expectations. The gameplay loop of shooting, looting, and upgrading is a winning formula in any game. The survival horror undertones and intimidating encounters with Big Daddy are refreshing for the genre. Even the constant ramblings from the game's colorful cast, that while hard to follow, gives the game tons of personality and keeps it entertaining while you're aimlessly exploring and looting, much like Borderlands.

But the biggest highlight is easily the city of Rapture. Similar to the Mansion in Resident Evil or the Asylum in Batman: Arkham Asylum, the dark and mesmerizing underwater city of Rapture is so wonderfully realized and brimming with personality that it almost becomes a character itself, with its otherworldly 1950s stylings evocative of Batman: The Animated Series.

As a Borderlands fan, it's definitely been interesting seeing where it all kind of started, but it's also very easy to see how Bioshock got the reputation it does. During a time where first-person shooters were being dominated by war games, Bioshock stood apart from its contemporaries and offered something unique and stylistic with one of gaming's biggest twists, which was so big that even I knew about it going in, so I was robbed of that revelation. However, the big role reversal at the end I wasn't aware of and I thought was really cool.

8/10

Rain611

You can't kill me.
The last game I finished (by way of platinum) was R3make.

8/10

I'll keep this simple since we have threads for this all over the place. Good character designs, far more enjoyable gameplay, good music, shop addition, ridiculous hard mode via Inferno. I thought it was a massive improvement over the original which I hated even though I still had issues with the controls like the aiming and grenade thing mentioned in another thread. I did ultimately get good at dodging when I had to beat Nightmare with no infinite launcher so that's a plus. Needing to be good at the dodge probably isn't a plus though.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Turo - I 100% agree with you about Bioshock. As someone who only recently played BioShock myself - I was very surprised by the game even though I had a lot of preconceived knowledge and notions about it. The story is great and the game is about having fun in a creepy, 50's, underwater world. It really has a great identity. And the button mapping is indeed bad. You get used to it, but man, they could update that for sure if they continue the series.

One important note - If you played The BioShock Collection version of the game - Bioshock 1 and 2 can only use a combined 10 save slots. So, if you have 9 save slots used in Bioshock 1 like I did, you might have to choose whether to let the game autosave for you or use manual saves. My game data got corrupted and now I have no back up saves at all. If you plan on playing BioShock 2 in the collection version, make sure you delete a bunch of saves from the original game.

And Rain - Glad to see you finally have finished the damn game. haha. What a ride. But yeah, I would lower my own score to an 8.5 after having the month to think it over. Fun, but could be better. As in, longer. And better paced.

1995umk3

Resident Evil 1 1996 Original Long Box Version (No Dual Shock - Directors Cut - Green Label Greatest Hits)

- Harder Monsters

- Health Runs Low Quick

- Many More Hard Things

10/10 I prefer this one over the RE1make by miles and miles away.

RE1-1996.png

Awebb

10/10 I prefer this one over the RE1make by miles and miles away.

My favorite RE1 is the original Director's Cut. While the game was perfectly fine originally, my biggest complaint was not being able to at least see what my character sees. RE1 has a lot of long corridors and the lack of auto aim forced you into a very weird close combat play style. The one thing that bugs me about the remake and all the following RE games is the art style. Classic RE was kind of grim and spooky without being a blend of black and brown. It was actually a bright, colorful game, that had atmosphere through layout and sound.

@topic:

A KING'S TALE: FINAL FANTASY XV

That's a short little cute (and free!) side-scrolling beat-'em-up with a very retro look and feel, that emulates the weapon, magic and combo system from the main game. The story is set a few years before the main game and shows Regis telling a bed time story to his son Noctis. This format allows the game to characterize Regis' old companions as we didn't quite got to known them in Kingsglaive and the main game. If you can't have enough of the combat system, there is also a battle mode that can be played after the main game. I'm not sure anything in this story can be considered lore (besides Regis actually being a good father from time to time), but there are bits and pieces that seem to fill some gaps.

The game is easy to medium hard, depending on your experience with side-scrolling beat-'em-ups and the FF15 resistance system.

Killer is Dead (Xbox 360)
Spiritual sequel to Capcom's Gamecube game Killer7. A very stylish and fun hack&slash. I enjoyed the goofy and sexual aspects of the story. For sure worth a play, it's super cheap and is playable on the Xbox One

7/10

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
Think the last game I actually completed was Ace Combat 7 on the PS4 Pro.

Got to say, best damned Maverick simulator I've ever played though the checkpoint system is absolutely hair-tearingly awful at times. You can get 90% of the way through a mission, complete numerous objectives, glance a wing against a bit of geometry, crash, turn into a ball of fire and be forced to replay the entire mission. Plus not every mission allows you to rearm so if you use up all munitions, you're not going to have a fun time relying on machine guns at 300mph!

Solid 8/10.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I agree Martin Milk - the game was designed to be fun and it was. The level designs were sometimes very authentic and smart. And the music was really good. I haven't played nearly ANY 3D Sonic Games, but I couldn't resist Sonic Forces for free!

Awebb

After three years and a lot of attempts, I finally completely finished RE7 and all its addons.

This game suffers from a really ****ty start, where everything feels like a rubber gimmick instead of gameplay and boring "the enemy is restraining you and doing stuff to you in first person" crap was way too common, coupled with poorly executed first person stealth (that completely falls apart once you've understood the mechanics). I never managed to keep playing after that "chainsaw" boss fight, because I thought I won't manage another ten hours of "cinematic" boring non-gameplay.

However, RE7 was always a great benchmark for performance tweaks I've done on my old laptop, because it always didn't run well and looked great, so I kept installing the game and playing it an hour or two regularly, just to rage/****quit at the same spot every time. This time, I had my girlfriend sitting next to me, who kept pointing out all the good things about the game, most of which I totally missed, because I was so annoyed with the pseudo gameplay of this Benny Hill Show parody, so we kept playing it and... whoops... the game actually becomes good almost right after my ragequit spot. I almost threw the towel again after the Mia tape, because "I thought this game was not supposed to be another Amnesia/Outlast?".

Now, after beating the entirety of RE7 (minus the super hard modes), I find the game to be a competent Resident Evil title. It has puzzles, it has mutant boss fights and surprisingly well written explanations for most of the weird stuff that was going on. I still think Ethan is an idiot who is in dire need of a real face.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah, I mean - RE7 made some questionable decisions about casting and first person doesn't feel like RE to me. But the actual game design is great. The puzzles are unique and add to the creepy atmosphere. And the bosses (most of them) are top notch. Of course, the lack of enemy designs and the rushed ending definitely feel like they need to be addressed. But I think it is overall a good game. And if it wasn't a Resident Evil game by name, it would have done much better.

Great analysis of your feelings versus what the game offered and how your perspective changed. Very cool to see.

Awebb

The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan

This game starts weird and then slowly becomes interesting. I actually managed to keep everyone alive on my first playthrough. What's so interesting about this game, is how I as a player absolutely disliked most of the characters for their personalities. The game has a lot of strange mechanics I have not understood yet. For example, every action you take will influence a trait of your character, like doing something bold will decrease their boldness or being rational will reduce the anxiety. The actions also influence the relationship between characters. I suspect that certain actions and the relationships influence the possible choices and the reactions of the NPCs, but I'm not sure, as I have only beaten the game once. According to the trophies, you can have the full range between everyone survives and nobody survives, including some interesting options like "only the men survive" (or the women). Notably, the game rewards you for finding secrets by giving your characters knowledge. I think it is possible to beat the game without understanding a shred of what's going on and you'll even be having the wrong idea in the end.

Overall, with the curator and his library, the game feels like an episode of tales from the crypt.

Like so often these days, the game suffers from weird controls. The movement is very movie-like and it feels a bit like dragging your foot through a mud pit. That's not a problem most of the time, because all action happens in three kinds of QTE cut scenes: There is the normal "tap button on screen", there is the "hammer the button on screen" and there is the "press X over visual heart beat" rhythm game. What can I say, I'm already not a fan of QTE, but the QTE in this game is especially bad. The button timing is indicated by a white ring that goes from full to empty, but the timing is not correct and you'll sometimes fail a QTE, even though there is still "time on the clock". The "hammer button" QTE's are very short and you usually don't have much time to realise it's a mashing QTE. The rhythm game type has also bugged out on me, indicating a miss-press while I showing me I was in the target area. Luckily, there are accessibility options in the setttings menu, that allow you to "press and hold instead of tapping" and removing the timer on the QTE.

Speaking of the QTE, some of them were actually good. For example, there is a scene, where a character hops over wooden beams and the QTE gives you square/X for the left foot circle/B for the right foot and triangle/Y for anything that goes upward or has something to do with grabbing a hold. Unfortunately, the game isn't very consistent, so you'll end up pressing square and then circle in a rhythm, while the game wants you to go double square.

The story is about 4-5 hours long per playthrough. There is a lot of slow walking and looking at stuff. I'd say the Platinum trophy can be done in 10 hours with a guide and heavy use of the chapter select feature.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Just finished 2 games in my very small backlog.

Doom 2016:
Doom was a fun cathartic game. But it's definitely nothing I'd write home about. It was just plain simple fun.
Gameplay was a hard 8/10.

The challenges sucked though and were very boring where the rest was a ride.
Now I actually can't remark on the story because I did not care to the point where I just played my own music over the game and had a blast. And that was it.

Only complaint with the game was the loading times were abnormally large in comparison to most other games I've played.

Yakuza Kiwami:
It was a fine game, but in every single way inferior to Yakuza 0. Shame.
The story with Kiryu and Nishiki was engaging but a lot of randos sort of show up. And there was a disconnect with the plot that happened quite a few times.

I give the game a 7/10. It's still good, but 0 is just way better in everything but skill progression.

All the bosses outside of 5, with 4 of them being literally one guy and his name is Majima and the final boss being good, that was a rough ride.
It's okay, wouldn't play it again though.

Nier and Persona 4 are the last games in my backlog.
Gods help me.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I just finished my first playthrough of Beyond Two Souls. I will have to play it a lot more to get the platinum. But I really liked it.

The story was really good, at least I path I took. I really like how they explain Aiden, it was a very satisfying revelation, and throughout the game, the relationship arc between Jodi and Aiden was really well done. Also, every time I really didn't like a character and told my husband I hope he dies, I would conveniently get a chance to try to kill them almost immediately lol.

Some of the chapters felt like they could've been a little shorter, but those are few and far between. I can think of 3 off the top of my head and the rest were a decent length, and they give you an option to view chapters is chronological order or shuffled, which is how they are meant to be played, which in my opinion is a better choice because teen Jodi events add more weight to some of the child Jodi chapters. I played shuffled and my husband is playing chronological.

Some of the chapters really bring out how flawed the controls and camera are, and this is one of the things that really annoys me, and it is really the main thing that would make me dock my rating.

Because of all of these things, I'd probably give it a 7.5-8/10. Might've been around a 9 if the controls didn't suck during certain chapters when it needed to work well.

Awebb

Doom 2016: Doom was a fun cathartic game. But it's definitely nothing I'd write home about. It was just plain simple fun.

I'm not sure if a game in 2016, that is "plain simple fun" is really nothing to write home about. This is basically what I thought when Dark Souls was new. Oh, another free roam fantasy RPG with a fiddly combat system and way too many numbers. Little did I know, that in ignoring fantasy character action games for a solid decade, that "they simply don't make those games anymore" and Dark Souls was an actual gem. Besides the challenges, when was the last time you played a no-bullcrap FPS that was "just plain simple fun"?

Yakuza Kiwami: It was a fine game, but in every single way inferior to Yakuza 0. Shame.

It would be a shame, if a sequel (or prequel) didn't at least attempt to surpass the original.

Because of all of these things, I'd probably give it a 7.5-8/10. Might've been around a 9 if the controls didn't suck during certain chapters when it needed to work well.

That's Quantic Dream and it won't change. Those games try to be as cinematic as possible, so all animations need to look life-like. Good movement in games doesn't look life-like.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
I'm not sure if a game in 2016, that is "plain simple fun" is really nothing to write home about. This is basically what I thought when Dark Souls was new. Oh, another free roam fantasy RPG with a fiddly combat system and way too many numbers. Little did I know, that in ignoring fantasy character action games for a solid decade, that "they simply don't make those games anymore" and Dark Souls was an actual gem. Besides the challenges, when was the last time you played a no-bullcrap FPS that was "just plain simple fun"?

Given the franchises I've played and play? Plain simple fun is guaranteed in almost all of them. Especially when I had games that I enjoyed far more than Doom both gameplay and plotwise from the year prior, Doom just comes off as a standard if not below average affair for me.

It would be a shame, if a sequel (or prequel) didn't at least attempt to surpass the original.

It is a shame, but not uncommon. Oh well, luckily 0 is a very timeless game thankfully.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
That's Quantic Dream and it won't change. Those games try to be as cinematic as possible, so all animations need to look life-like. Good movement in games doesn't look life-like.

That may be the case but it makes no difference to me if that's just a Quantic Dream thing or not. Good (or in this case bad) controls are always a huge contributing factor in how I rate games and bad controls have been a reason I've ditched games in the past, ie The Evil Within 2 or Shadow if the Collosus. I'm not saying these games are inherently bad, but everything else about that game has to be stellar for me to deal with bad controls and in those cases, they weren't. At least Beyond Two Souls had a story that kept me wanting to know more. It really is a compliment to the game that I hold it in such high regard even with the control/camera sloppiness.

Top Bottom