• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Last Game You Finished & Rate it!

Tokyo Goul_re CALL to EXIST (PS4)
Nice gameplay, offers many different styles of hack & slash. However, it's a super basic anime game in every aspect. A dead tacked on online mode which was ambitious but completely dead.

5/10

Turo602

The King of Kings
New Super Lucky's Tale
New Super Lucky's Tale is a second chance for a game that originally launched on the wrong platform at the wrong time. While Super Lucky's Tale was just fine the way it was, unfair comparisons to the newly released Super Mario Odyssey would destroy its reputation.

While the game wasn't without flaw, New Super Lucky's Tale serves the same exact purpose the original did, being an entry level platformer for children while being engaging enough for adults who might appreciate the nostalgia of playing a game not unlike what they played in their childhood.

However, the "New" in the title is not just a gimmick either, as there is a lot that is new this time around. Visuals have been improved from its original Xbox One counterpart, movement and animations have been tweaked and altered, hub worlds have been completely restructured, and some levels have even gotten major overhauls, making this one of the weirdest games to categorize as it's different parts a port, a remaster, and a remake.

The fixed camera was never an issue for me in the original release, but this version has full 360 camera control which if I'm being honest, I found more disorienting than before. But this is still by far the definitive version of the game for newcomers since it features all the DLC content, fixes what didn't work before, and enhances and reworks what wasn't even broken the first time to further flesh out the experience.

But as someone who enjoyed the original game as it was, it's hard for me to completely disregard it because in some ways, it just feels like a completely different game rather than an inferior one. At its core, it's still the same charming 3D platformer with a wide variety of fun levels and challenges. I don't say that to knock New Super Lucky's Tale either, but to reinforce how solid and overlooked the game always was, and I couldn't be happier to have played this on my Nintendo Switch, where it always belonged.

7.9/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Platinumed Horizon: Zero Dawn and got all the trophies for The Frozen Wilds DLC. I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the characters and stories within the game. There were many reasons why it fell flat to me, from the constant droning of the bland NPCs who are often poorly animated, poorly acted, and lack any sort of charm, to the "feminist" agenda that became more and more apparent the longer you play. But what kept me engaged was the excellent world building and the intriguing main story.

I still remember the first time I came across what appeared to be skyscrapers, street lights, and cars that were all taken over by the elements and it left me in awe as I started to piece together the setting and time period. It was a really clever juxtaposition setting the story in a future that mirrored early civilization, and just as I'd start to question how improbable it would be for civilization to regress as much as it did post modern day, the story would gradually offer explanations to my exact gripes the more you uncover what caused this apocalypse.

The gameplay was also extremely fun for me and never got boring. It feels like a cross between Tomb Raider and The Legend of Zelda, which is awesome for me as those are 2 of my most favorite franchises. Aloy even controls very similarly to Lara Croft, down to the primary weapon being a bow and arrow. Combat is very engaging and fighting against the machines is always satisfying. It always feels good getting criticals and tearing off pieces of their armor. The general gameplay loop and what you do in the huge world never felt repetitive or boring, which can be typical for these type of games.

While I have yet to play games like Red Dead Redemption II and Ghost of Tsushima, this is by far one of the most gorgeous looking games I've ever seen with such a large scope. Everything is so finely detailed and vibrant, and the spectacle can be really amazing. I'll never forget the first time I came across a gigantic thunder jaw T-Rex machine and how it just completely blew my mind when it started shooting rockets from its back and blasted through the environment with a huge laser, making me feel completely defenseless but in awe of the epic encounter that was about to ensue.

But for as great as the game is, I found there to be lots of little things that could have drastically improved the experience for me that are pretty common in games today. Climbing for example feels very underutilized and could have been better implemented throughout the entire game world. Only the most specific of spots throughout the environment can be used to climb and it's usually marked in yellow, but I say usually because other times, there just isn't any kind of indication that you can grab onto ledges. It sounds a lot worse than it really is as it's one of those things you just get used to and isn't really all that needed, but there have definitely been a number of times when I just wished she could cling onto a ledge or I just couldn't make out where I was supposed to climb from. Aloy's jumps towards ledges can also be really annoying because her jumps feel like they're being pulled back and you're gonna miss your jump, only for her to grab onto an out of sight ledge down below.

The focus ability, or as it is more famously known as, detective mode, forces Aloy into a walking position, meaning you can't really use it during combat which could have been really useful against human enemies as they are much smaller targets and hard to spot in the dark. The game also has stealth mechanics, but I feel like the bandit camp designs and enemy A.I. don't really let you take advantage of using stealth too much.

And like I mentioned before, I found the obvious pandering to feminists very forced and unbelievable. Aloy is already the leading character, so you already buy into the fact that she will outdo everyone and save the day because it's her story and you're the one playing as her. But as I kept encountering "strong" female character after "strong" female character, I started to notice the lack of strong male characters, as men were either mostly antagonists, flawed, or 2nd to another female character.

There were very few strong male characters and of the abundance of strong female characters, very few were actually believable leaders in this savage world as this game would have you believe that Miley Cyrus and Rose Tico would be in charge of anything in a post apocalyptic world. But my biggest problem with this agenda pushing is that it actually has the opposite effect of what's intended.

Aloy herself already serves as the likable strong female lead who no one would question could do the things she can do. But within the context of everything else, I couldn't help but question the fact that whenever Aloy came across an antagonist, told someone off, or challenged someone, they were male. Had they portrayed much more equal or realistic characters, Aloy would have had a much stronger impact. Luckily, this is mostly the case in side missions and it never truly beats you over the head with it, but it's definitely something that you just notice the more you come across it.

But there is one benefit to meeting all the side characters as it has an excellent pay off at the end of the game. The way everything and everyone comes together at the end was fantastic. Like a series finale to a TV show where you're greeted by returning characters you haven't seen in so long. I even got that rare Master Chief feeling where suddenly, Aloy's presence just felt larger than life and gave hope to those around her, except it was earned and so much more rewarding.

The Frozen Wilds DLC offered a nice chunk of content that felt different enough from the main game and actually had a pretty good story between some of the new characters that felt better realized than the majority of those seen in the main game. My only gripe however are the new machines, which are just incredibly cheap.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is definitely a must have for any Playstation owner and in my honest opinion, is one of the better open world games I've played. The game never devloved into the same thing for too long, even when I was just going from collectible to collectible, there was always something more to it than just grinding or collecting that always kept the game engaging and fresh all throughout, which is ultimately the game's biggest saving grace as I had a hard time connecting with the characters and tribes who you'll often be engaged with for various missions and quests, but it was never long before I was hooked back into the story or out in the wild doing something fun.

9/10

Streets of Rage 4
Streets of Rage 4 has been long overdue, and it hasn't missed a beat. After years and hundreds of playthroughs of Streets of Rage 2, Streets of Rage 4 has satisfied my appetite for a modernized Streets of Rage experience that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel and still remembers why the series worked in the first place, as it heavily draws inspiration from the 2nd game in its level design, combat, and progression, but with a fresh coat of paint, a host of improvements, and plenty of new ideas.

Combat for example is as crunchy and impactful as ever, but it's vastly improved by new details, such as enemies no longer walking or being thrown off screen and the ability to attack and juggle enemies in the air, keeping combat flowing as you build massive combos. Special moves are treated differently as well, as you are given a chance to earn back depleted health by attacking enemies successfully without getting hit, turning it into a more strategic risk/reward system.

Item pick ups are also assigned to their own button, meaning you no longer have to worry about accidentally picking up health while fighting, making co-op play much less frustrating. You can even toggle partner damage off if you're looking for an even smoother co-op experience.

The new hand drawn visuals are absolutely stunning and the cutscenes offer neat transitions from level to level, giving the story a proper flow reminiscent of 80s/90s action movies. The level design takes major beats from Streets of Rage 2, but they're mixed into new stages, and there's a variety of segments that can change up the pace, like sliding on wet floors, avoiding environmental hazards, jumping over oncoming obstacles on top of a moving train, interacting with environmental traps, and even brief moments of fighting on a traditional 2D plane.

There are a total of 12 levels this time, which is more than any of the previous titles, but the game is only slightly longer. Some levels can move pretty quickly, but even some of the longer stages don't feel that long because it's so well paced by the constant variety of enemies, succession of unique locations, and brand new boss fights, so you never feel like you're doing the same thing for too long.

As if the game wasn't fun enough on its own, replay value is exponentially increased by the addition of an arcade and boss rush mode, as well as the returning battle mode. You're also given a grade ranking at the end of each stage if you so wish to improve your technique and skill and master each level.

But it also wouldn't be Streets of Rage without an amazing soundtrack and boy does it deliver. Like everything else in the game, the music takes inspiration from Streets of Rage 2's iconic soundtrack, as you can hear some of those classic beats remixed into brand new retro-sounding tracks with a modern twist. The game even has an option to replace the new music with music from the first 2 games, but the new stuff is so good and fits the ambiance a lot better that I'd rather not bother with the old music.

You can unlock all the previous characters from each game, old school sprites and all through accumulated points from all your playthroughs. But my biggest gripe is the lack of current unlockable characters. Adam is unlocked through story progression, but there are at least 3 more characters in the game who felt like they could have been unlocks, but maybe due to their role in the story, can't be playable, even though two of those characters are modern versions of older playable characters you can already unlock.

Text dialogue in cutscenes is also way too fast and the ending is a bit abrupt. I've beaten the game several times already on each difficulty and there doesn't seem to be any special ending like Streets of Rage 3 either. Gameplay wise, I think fall damage and explosive damage can be really cheap, knocking off a huge chunk of health which can be really detrimental to your success on harder playthroughs.

I also did just play the game after a major patch that apparently fixed 150 issues, mainly to do with balancing and online play. So I haven't really had any issues with character gameplay and enemy balance that people may have had in the past. Just certain damage the player can recieve which can still be improved. I also played cooperatively online and had 0 issues with it.

Streets of Rage 2 has always been the pinnacle of 2D beat 'em ups for me. The first didn't quite grab me as much and the third was unnecessarily too hard to enjoy. At least the American version. But Streets of Rage 4 hits that same sweet spot Streets of Rage 2 did, and in a lot ways, outdoes it. This is definitely a game I'm going to keep coming back to for years to come whenever I'm itching to jump into some quick yet satisfying action.

9/10

Last edited:
Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)
Since the 3D collection came out, I decided to buy it physically and never open it for 2 reasons. It's limited and I am a collector and big Nintendo fan. BUT I think this is the laziest scam i've ever seen! The game plays worse on Switch and isn't suited for the switch controls at all. What's more irritating is how Nintendo didn't even bother to make it compatible with the Gamecube adapter.

I thought this was great time to play the game again on the gamecube and sure the game isn't perfect, some levels were dull and had some poor level design. But for the most part the game is fantastic. I love the setting, the music is some of the best in any Mario game, controls are spot on!!

However due to it's lacking of polish in just a few too many areas I can't rate it higher than a STRONG 7.

7/10

Timesplitters Future Perfect (Gamecube)

Me and a friend played through the campaign together and it's a game series he and I love to play reguarly still to this day. It is to me the best first person shooter ever made.

Easily a perfect score
10/10

Last edited:

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
Working my way through the Assassin’s Creed series for the first time, and recently finished Brotherhood. Would rate it an 8.5 out of 10, and as a stealth/assassination/killing game, 4 out of 5 blades. Story is awesome, if confusing in places, gameplay is absorbing, but a few features are mildly frustrating, particularly during parkour, and the voice acting is flawless.

The last of us 2 (PS4 pro)
What a journey this was for me. First half I enjoyed it a lot, didn't at all see what people seemed to be so angry about. When the second half begun I got really frustrated with where the story was going, However towards the ending I realized why it needed to go the direction it did. I loved the 2 new characters that got introduced and the ending had me really conflicted and sad. Overall i'm somewhat pleased how it came to a close.

The gameplay was however fairly repetetive. 'You go to certain place, see enemies and sneak kill everyone, loot, move to next part repeat.' I do feel like this game could have made good use of some kind of boss designs.

Graphics was at times breath taking. Only flaw i'd say is the fact that none main-cast designs of people looked very bland and generic compared to the main cast.. looked a generation behind.

8/10

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Red Dead Redemption 2: 9.5/10

I can barely put how I feel about this game in words. I'm awed. Rockstar absolutely knocked it out of the park with this one.

I didn't expect to love this game as much as I did, and part of that reason was that I wouldn't be playing as John Marston. Arthur Morgan was an unknown entity, and I was concerned that he wouldn't live up to John's standards in Red Dead Redemption. I needn't have worried at all.

Arthur is just as compelling as John and his story arc and journey throughout the game are extremely well-portrayed. I didn't expect to care about him as much as I did. I played a high honour playthrough as I expected that those would be the decisions that Arthur would make. He's similar to John in the way that he's flawed but ultimately a good man, yet he's his own distinct character. I also love that Rockstar made a point to really showcase the different relationships that Arthur has with a range of different characters. It shows exactly how multifaceted a personality he is.

Which brings me to my next point: this game genuinely has some of the most interesting side characters of any game I've ever played. You feel about these characters just as Arthur does, and it shows so many different perspectives, giving enrichment to Arthur's world as you progress through the game. Whether you're speaking to your camp mates or coming across random encounters in the world, there's always someone to intrigue you.

The story is just incredible. I won't go into too much detail for fear of spoiling things for those who haven't played the game, but the twists and turns are very well done and some are very unexpected. I was completely immersed in Arthur's world and constantly wondering what would happen next.

The graphics are just beautiful too. The world has a vibrancy and is filled with so many stunning landscapes and bustling towns, and is so abundant with wild creatures and plant life that it genuinely feels alive, and I'd often stand for a few minutes just to admire the world around me for minutes at a time.

I did knock half a point off because of a couple of glitches here and there. I wasn't a fan of the cores, particularly when it came to Dead Eye, and I didn't like how weapons are stored on the horse - it often just meant that I'd forget to change weapons and make do with whatever weapons were on me when I left my horse.

But wow, this game is fantastic, and it more than filled the void created by the disappointment with The Last of Us Part II. This is how you make a second game in a series.

Take a bow, Rockstar.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
A Plague Tale: Innocence
7/10

This beautifully crafted game was released last year but seem to have gone under everyone's radar. I was very intrigued by the trailers, the setting in 14th century France during the black plague looked like no other game I've seen, plus it was on sale on PS Store so why the heck not? You play as a young noble girl named Amicia whose life gets turned upside down when her father is killed and mother disappears, and she is tasked with taking care of her younger brother Hugo whom she has barely seen before because of some mysterious illness that has kept him from leaving his boyroom. They have to escape from the evil Inquisition whom wants to kill her and capture Hugo, all of this while the world around them is being infested by black rats whom consume every living thing they come across. The central themes are family, youth, disease, death and power.

It's a pretty short game overall, and the lack of a difficult setting makes me wonder why they bothered including a crafting system. The game could've been a bigger challenge on higher difficulty settings which would've forced you to manage your equipment and scavenge the environment much more. But the game will always spawn the necessary items you need for every new location, which makes the game laughably easy to complete. The developers listed The Last of Us as one of their biggest inspirations, and the gameplay is definitely very, very, very much like TLoU.... its a lot of sneaking around, taking down enemies from behind, trying to stay as quiet as possible and hide. The way the protagonist Amicia bonds with her younger brother also feels like they're trying to emulate the way Joel bonds with Ellie, even going as far as having Amicia boosting Hugo up certain walls and objects. I didn't mind it, but it was impossible to not make direct comparisons between the games.

I definitely enjoyed the story a lot more, and the way you progress and learn more about the characters and the world is done in a very compelling matter. So by the time the secrets are revealed it feels very rewarding because you've had certain expectations on where the story could go. I definitely did not expect the stuff that happens during the latter part of the game, and it was very cool even though the gameplay for those parts could've been implemented better. Gameplay overall goes up and down, its not perfect but its not a disaster either. Most of the time you'll fight human soldiers from the Inquisition with your slingshot, and its hella fun to take them down one by one with headshots. There's no free aiming system though, so you can't really miss once your target is locked on screen unless something gets in the way. Fighting against more than 2 enemies running against you at the same time is basically impossible, since you'll get instantly killed as soon as one reaches you. There's a powder you can use as a last defense to escape your instant death, but you can only equip one such powder in your inventory. Because of this, there are rarely more than 2 enemies in each room or "zone", but it doesn't break the immersion as much as you'd think since you progress quite fast.

The character models are fine but obviously they cannot be compared to the top AAA game developers out there. Sometimes the game looks like a PS3 game, but luckily to me graphics isn't everything. The game may have its shortfalls, but its still incredibly good for such a smaller French studio whose previous games have mainly been kids games for Pixar like WALL-E and Toy Story 3. It will be interesting to see what their next project is, hopefully they'll continue making games for an older audience.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I actually almost bought A Plague Tale, but Gamestop was trying to swindle me and so I never bothered with it again. I might try to pick it up sometime, but The Last of Us influence was never something I picked up on before and actually makes me a little more interested in it.

Turo602

The King of Kings
DOOM (2016)
Finished DOOM a while ago and it was just what I needed after such a long journey with a game like Red Dead Redemption II. I've never played any of the DOOM games before but I am familiar enough with the series to see just how faithful to the original game this was with its fast pace, movement based combat, and massive arsenal which is such a refreshing contrast to modern shooters with their tighter level design, grounded combat, and 2 weapon limit.

Strangely, I was reminded of so many great games that I've enjoyed over the years while playing DOOM that it almost gave me a sense of nostalgia, not particularly for this series, but a time long past, if that makes any sense.

Comparisons to Halo are obvious, and while DOOM may have come first, this being a reboot in a post Halo world, it wouldn't be crazy to think they took some things from it. For example, the collectible Doomguy plushies are straight from Halo 2 Anniversary and the environmental interactions and clambering also feel straight out of Halo 4 and Halo 5 respectively. I also couldn't help but notice similarities to Dead Space in its setting and themes, but most of all, its minimalist storytelling.

A great story is always appreciated, but like many games have proven, aren't exactly necessary for a game to be fun, especially when the gameplay far outshines whatever story a developer is struggling to present. Vanquish is a great example of a game with amazing gameplay that got too wrapped up into its own world with a forgettable plotline, characters, and cutscenes that could have all been severely reduced and been better for it. This has always been true of the classic DOOM games and this reboot nails it perfectly, keeping story beats brief and relegating all lore to audio logs and data files so that you never stray away from gameplay for too long.

The general gameplay loop also reminds me of Resident Evil 4 and 5 with their open maps and hordes of enemies that keeps you moving around the map while trying to combat them. Except, DOOM is much more of a power fantasy, like a hack and slash game. You're always moving, but the goal is to get up close to your enemies and eliminate them one after the other.

I think I've actually heard this game be described as a first-person hack and slash shooter before and that honestly fits very well. It's very chaotic and bloody and you're killing demons with a wide array of weapons, and just like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, there's challenge rooms that offer you upgrades hidden in just about every level and you can double jump. Not exactly common features of FPS games, to my knowledge anyway.

Definitely didn't expect to like this game as much as I did, especially because I've never played a single player FPS that I was too crazy about aside from Halo, which I mostly play in co-op anyway. But I did really appreciate the old school feel and ideas even though it's all presented in such a fresh and modern way. But the fact that this game can remind me of so many other great ones, just shows that they've concocted something special here.

9/10

Quantum Break
Been a huge fan of Remedy since the Max Payne games and even more so after Alan Wake, which just spoke to me in a way nothing else has since. So I don't really know why it took me so long to get to Quantum Break, but it was time (no pun intended), especially after they've released Control and established a connected universe between their games with Control's AWE DLC that crosses over with Alan Wake.

With that said, I really enjoyed Quantum Break, but it didn't capture me the same way Max Payne or Alan Wake did. It's a very intriguing time travel story with a lot of science behind it and some clever twists and mechanics, but the main protagonist played by Shawn Ashmore felt a little flat to me, especially in comparison to Remedy's last two leading protagonists. But despite Shawn Ashmore's weak presence, Quantum Break still manages a well rounded cast of characters whose stories you'll follow in various ways.

Remedy is well known for their use of transmedia to tell their stories. Max Payne had comic book panels with live actors and Alan Wake heavily featured live action productions that can be viewed through television screens. With Quantum Break, Remedy goes full circle with full blown television episodes between each act that tells a contrasting tale to the one that unfolds in gameplay, but inevitably intertwine on several occasions. The production on these episodes are actually quite impressive and further fleshes out the antagonists and world of Quantum Break.

Being a story about time travel and timelines and whatnot, there are several times throughout the story where you can make a decision that will alter key events in the story, including the television episodes. Having played through both routes, I honestly can't say that much was really changed in any major way outside of two gameplay sequences late in the game, files, and an entire character who you'll interact with for some time in the game who will be replaced depending on your choices. The same can be said for the TV episodes which play out largely the same except for a key scene here and there as well as certain character fates.

Remedy is no stranger to third-person action games and you can sort see the influence of both Max Payne and Alan Wake here. There's so much happening visually with time being broken and objects just shifting and freaking out constantly that I couldn't help but be reminded of Alan Wake's possessed items sequences. Bullet time was also one of Remedy's biggest innovations in Max Payne that it once again, just feels like Remedy coming full circle with its various time abilities that encourage you to mix it up during shoot outs rather than hide behind cover.

There is however one unfortunate problem I came across a few times, and that's how the game runs, even on Series X. Quantum Break is a very visually stunning game that holds up to some the best in more recent times and was developed for the original Xbox One. Despite having been optimized for the One X, and even running on the Series X, the game stutters during certain cutscenes which was noticeable from the very start of the game. I had the game crash a couple of times and very oddly, when trying to skip one very specific cutscene, the game would load forever until it froze and it kept happening without fail, so I just never skipped that scene during my two playthroughs. I even had an entire gameplay sequence just completely go nuts over and over again until I restarted the game.

Overall, Quantum Break isn't a very long game, but it's very well paced and never does the same thing for too long. The story is engaging enough to stick with from beginning to end and the TV portion can actually suck you into it like an actual TV series, which is good enough for me to endure its various technical hiccups that mostly just require a simple reset to fix and the game is never grueling enough to feel like you're being set ways back by doing so.

7.8/10

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Angry Video Game Nerd I+II Deluxe Edition
I love platormers. Especially ridiculously difficult ones. I also love YouTube. I'll take watching YouTube over any other medium save for Stand Up comedy any day. So when I found out they ported the PC game over to PS4 with extra levels/content, and saw it as $15, I couldn't pass it up. Now, after platinuming the game, I'm exhausted and finished. Not since Super Ghouls and Ghosts have I played a platformer that tested my patience so. And all the in jokes and references from 15 plus years of YouTube videos...I gotta give this game a solid 9/10. If you're a fan of this type of game, Cinemassacre's content, crass, violent, childish, and angry humor, or all three, I highly recommend it.

RipvanX

Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
This game came out years ago on steam but finally landed on PS4/5. It is basically a mash of 2 different genres. One of a PS1 stylized semi open world platformer, while the other is literally Link’s Awakening. The first game was entirely the latter style, so it was a shock to hear that the sequel would be taking such a different direction. The gameplay itself is a bit simplistic and focuses more on puzzles and simple exploration.

I was pleasantly surprised by this game for the way its story unfolds, and there are many thought provoking themes that can get pretty philosophical. The music and atmosphere is top notch for a indie title and I would argue it rivals big budget games that set out to do the same. The game can get very weird and breaks the 4th wall at times. It’s a captivating, heartfelt little game that I would highly recommend if you have a soft spot for older games.

Rating: 4/5

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Recently finished up another play through of The Last of Us remastered- well I actually ended up watching the boo thang play it for the first time since he hogged the controller. It was still a lot of fun seeing his reaction to the game and it’s story though. I’m even more curious to see what he thinks of Part II next.

I will say that during the play through of the first game, I found myself wanting to play through certain locations of Part II. As messy as the story may have felt for the sequel, it was successful at creating even more unique locations and fun (and albeit also repetitive) gameplay.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Recently finished up another play through of The Last of Us remastered- well I actually ended up watching the boo thang play it for the first time since he hogged the controller. It was still a lot of fun seeing his reaction to the game and it’s story though. I’m even more curious to see what he thinks of Part II next.

I will say that during the play through of the first game, I found myself wanting to play through certain locations of Part II. As messy as the story may have felt for the sequel, it was successful at creating even more unique locations and fun (and albeit also repetitive) gameplay.
Does Remastered do much different or is it for all intents and purposes just a shinier coat of paint?
I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually because I feel like my older consoles are all slowly turning to dust the longer I play them (or don't play them)

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Does Remastered do much different or is it for all intents and purposes just a shinier coat of paint?
I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually because I feel like my older consoles are all slowly turning to dust the longer I play them (or don't play them)
It’s really just a shinier coat of paint lol. I mainly downloaded the remaster to play online again and to use my newer console more.

Turo602

The King of Kings
INSIDE
Like Limbo before it, Inside is a side-scrolling puzzle platformer with an ambiguous narrative told entirely through subtext and left open to player interpretation. Being Playdead's sophomore effort, Inside in many ways feels like an evolution of the concepts found in Limbo.

While Limbo was entirely 2D, Inside is a 2.5D side scroller, allowing for a much grander visual scope with expansive backgrounds that create interesting opportunities for dynamic interactions. The puzzles also differ drastically as Limbo focused more on physics, whereas Inside is more logic based, often requiring you to rethink how you can interact with the environment and even has more of a stealth and chase element that wasn't really present in Limbo.

The absence of a soundtrack and emphasis on ambient noise and natural sounds also really help give the game a sense of dread and adds to its rather ominous tone and subject matter. Which speaking of, by the end, I was left rather shocked and unsure of what I just witnessed and played. I had to look up videos to make sense of everything and I've come across some really interesting theories as to what it all means, including an extremely meta take that completely blew my mind.

There's even an alternate ending you can uncover after finding the game's collectibles that further adds fuel for speculation. They're actually really easy to obtain due to Playdead's ingenious scene selection mechanic first seen in Limbo that allows you to load up any part of the game at any given moment once you've completed the section.

This has actually become quite an interesting genre for me as someone who enjoyed Limbo and absolutely adored Little Nightmares. Being a 2.5D game, Inside actually falls perfectly in between the 2D Limbo and 3D Little Nightmares. They're not exactly long games nor do they have much replayability, but that's kind of the point.

Unlike the classic platformers of the past, these games aim to enthrall you into their worlds with their more artistic approach to storytelling and gameplay that is both captivating and shocking. They do what they set out to do well and while you may not be replaying them again and again like other games, they'll stick with you long after completion.

9/10

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Resident Evil Village - Spoiler Free
This...is a weird one for me. After finishing it, I have a love hate relationship with it. I really enjoyed the first two portions of the game. Loathed the last two because they didn't feel like Resident Evil. Sadly no part of this game really scared me. Or even made me feel uneasy. I just kinda ran through it like "Eh whatever." I was interested in the story about why Chris killed Mia (Not a spoiler, it's legit in the first trailer so get off my back unless you're putting Proactiv on it for my basement nerd bacne...God that was a gross sentence that I thought would be funny). Then I realized about halfway through...I had called the entire rest of the game. Like, beat for beat. I'm the only Resident Evil fan in my group of friends, but of course DoMmY mOmMy had them all interested, so they'd all watched playthroughs cause they were interested (Despite me trying to get them into these games since the series was...ya know...GOOD), and thankfully though, they were kind enough not to spoil anything. That said, they did sit around me during my two day playthrough because they know how big a fan I was and wanted to see my reaction to it after they'd already watched a couple playthroughs. And...They were speechless that I was calling what would happen beat by beat. Like, two of the three found it kinda funny, and I'm pretty sure the third was getting annoyed that I was doing it. I'm so torn because I do wanna love this game, and I do like aspects of it. But as a whole it just feels kinda...paint by numbers. I know seven gets a lot of hate, but at least it was refreshing after RE6. This felt like beating a dead horse WHILE jumping the shark. Why there's a dead horse in the water, I don't know, and I'm assuming they're beating it with pool noodles. But I digress. Me trying to be funny is really helping me be more positive in this review. Or at least feel more positive. This game just holds your hand way too much. With the key treasures telling you they're combinable, being able to purchase ammo, puzzles being ridiculously easy, and the Umbrella stuff being there basically just to keep Umbrella in the series, I was bored. My buddies b*tched the WHOLE game that I ran through it without blocking, and I had to explain look, I went 22 years with never blocking in an RE game. You're trying to undo 22 years of muscle memory. And guess what...I died 3 times. Yeah, I was playing on Standard, but I honestly just wanted the story. I guess I should probably actively talk about things I liked, and Lady D's castle and the second location I really did enjoy. I'll be honest. The Atmosphere was very well done, and the villain characters were interesting. I'll give the game major props for its sound design. That was without a doubt my favorite part of the game. Aiming did feel more fluid in this than seven so the controls I guess are a bit tighter. Or maybe I'm making that up. It felt like it at least. Of the 14 main games (Counting the Revelations games and the remakes of 2 and 3) I'd rank this...generously, at probably number 6 or 7 if I had to go off the top of my head? I'd go into more of what I liked but I probably can't do that without spoilers.
Final Score - 6.5/10

madzia

I just finished Siren for PS2 (downloaded on my ps3). It's a really scary survival horror game and insanely hard! I can never beat it without looking up a guide online.
I love how realistic the horror is. You play as a variety of different characters with different ages and genders and each one is very vulnerable. Health items are nowhere to be found, weapons are rare and hard to use (some characters don't get any weapons at all), enemies can kill you in just one or two hits, and the zombies themselves are completely unkillable and can only be knocked out temporarily with a weapon before getting back up. Plus there's a lot of hiding and sneaking involved in the game.

Oblivion Knight

Pokémon Blue (8/10)
...yes, I'm being serious - don't judge me! :ROFL: It's the first time that I've finished it, despite it being 25 years old.. I'd always enjoyed the game and the concept of building up a Pokédex from scratch, but would find myself repeating the opening hours of the game over and over again after leaving it for considerable amounts of time, returning to it and feeling completely lost. I recently decided to make this my final playthrough of the game, and after 35+ hours of gameplay I actually saw the end credits.

I don't have all 151 Pokémon yet.. that's next on the to-do list. Unfortunately in order to do so, I'll need to boot up Pokémon Red and largely play through that also since some of the Pokémon are version specific. Suffice to say, I'm in no particular rush.

ClaireRedfield

I just finished the main story of Resident Evil 7. I played it on standard mode but am planning to play through it again on the harder difficulty and I’m interested in the extra content the game offers as well.

I’d give it a 9/10. The game was very scary and was pretty challenging. Both of those qualities are great for me because I love getting scared and I consider myself a hardcore gamer that wants to have a challenge. The controls weren’t too hard to understand and the first person POV was great. I also really loved the story of RE 7 as it offered a completely different universe from previous RE titles but it still did a great job at tying in with the lore of RE as a whole.

Since I finished the main story of RE 7, I decided to install RE Village on my PC and have played about 15-30 minutes of it. Being a new fan of Resident Evil in general, I’m really enjoying the whole series so far.

Top Bottom