• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I have noticed a trend in character development

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
There were 4 years between RE4 & RE5, and in that time something happened with Tricell, The Organization, Spencer, working on Las Plagas & of course we cannot forget Uroboros, he was still a very busy man.:)

^There were alot of changes they made to Wesker that I really didn't like in part 5 and UC. While it was still fun to an extent watching him in part 5, I understand that you feel a different way about the matter. The same way I feel about Leon in RED. By GAWD I hated Leon in Degeneration so much, and that's sad because he's my favorate male protaganist.

As for Wesker, it's so hard for me to explain how I feel about the changes. Most of the changes I strongly object to, while a few others im bittersweet about.

RED Leon on the other hand, is just plain Hollywood garbage. (In my opinion) I can't think of anything I liked about him.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I know what you mean, I mean Wesker is cool, so there will always be cool things, I just feel on the whole, it isn't staying true to his character, for whatever reason, and I just disliked Capcom for that...

And of course you mentioned Leon in Degeneration, I agree with you, I thought he looked wierd, not sure what it is, but he definately looked strange, he acted pretty different, almost as if he knew all of the fans thought he was cool or something, not quite as cool as he was in RE4 though, his smart-ass personality didn't seem to really be there, and he just wasn't anywhere near as cool as he should have been...but I guess that is the price you pay for being overused...

I don't think it's a matter of the character being over used, it's appears that they just didn't know how to handle it. They tried too hard making it a failure.

You see, when I first saw his face in the second trailor to RED, (Cuz you can't see it in the first trailor.) I was like ACK, how the hell am I going to enjoy this movie? But I came to my senses. I can not simply dislike Leon or the movie because he's ugly, that's not right plus that's not what made me love the character before. When RE2 came out I was way too young to even be attracted to guys I just liked Leon because he was awsome, he was my first favorate character of the series. Him being hott in RE4 is just a major bonus.

Putting his looks aside, I watched Degeneration only taking interest in his personality...but after watching it I realized that they screwed it up just as much as his face. Can you spell Gary Stu? Leon is great, but don't exaggerate his greatness to the point where he's TOO perfect to the point where it becomes rediculous. He gets vitch slapped by a G monster halfway across the earth only to get back up half a second later and go all marvel comic hero? Bull! Hell even Wesker got hurt in CVX.

Some people said Leon was a cliche action hero in 4. I disagree, Leon showed flaw and inperfection in 4, while in RED he hardly does. Then another thing that made me boil was the fact that they made him "so cool" that he hardly acknowlegded Clare and was "too cool" to give her a hug or a proper goodbye at the end of the movie. That's when him being unattractive really irritated me. seeing that it matched his irritating personality.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
013;44996 said:
Putting his looks aside, I watched Degeneration only taking interest in his personality...but after watching it I realized that they screwed it up just as much as his face. Can you spell Gary Stu? Leon is great, but don't exaggerate his greatness to the point where he's TOO perfect to the point where it becomes rediculous. He gets vitch slapped by a G monster halfway across the earth only to get back up half a second later and go all marvel comic hero? Bull! Hell even Wesker got hurt in CVX.

Some people said Leon was a cliche action hero in 4. I disagree, Leon showed flaw and inperfection in 4, while in RED he hardly does. Then another thing that made me boil was the fact that they made him "so cool" that he hardly acknowlegded Clare and was "too cool" to give her a hug or a proper goodbye at the end of the movie. That's when him being unattractive really irritated me. seeing that it matched his irritating personality.
See, this here is my main beef with the movie, and I chalk it up to lazy and unimaginative writing. Leon is as two dimensional as cardboard cut-out in the movie. Whatever personality he had in the two games he was featured in, it had been sucked absolutely dry at the end of Degeneration. Most certainly, he *was* a `Gary Stu`. Just as much as I found Angela to be a Mary-Sue; let`s face it, she had all the qualities of a poorly written original fanfiction character. She had the the tragic past and the heart of gold, she was intended to be prettier than the other girls, she was stronger, but still a bit of a damsel in distress, and she had to a certain extent gained Leon`s affection at at least one point of the movie.

Sorry, I didn`t mean to bring this off-topic. But, I just think the characters in Degen, apart from Claire, were written so poorly it was just painful to watch for me. Angela and Leon in particular- I absolutely believe they ruined his character. It was disappointing.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Don't worry LFF, you are just as on topic as the rest of us.;)

@013, I mean that Leon in gereral is overused, with a good amount of games under his belt, in addition to the movie, and a large amount of popularity after RE4.:)

Yeah, most people either look at Leon in RE4 as being really cool, or they just hate him because he is overpopular, but they don't take the time to look at his character like they should. He was certainly flawed, and way from perfect, and his personality as I have said many times before, is like a perfect development from RE2.

He just wasn't Leon in Degeneration, much like how I say Wesker wasn't Al in UC or RE5.:)

@LFF, since you bring up Angela, I didn't really like her character either, she had that dead eye stare, and just stood there and starred at Leon with some really akward moments in RE history...

I thought Claire was perfect in Degeneration, except one line that really bugged me, when she was wounded and messing with that computer towards the end of the film, she said, "I know what Leon would do", and I was just baffled by that. What did she mean, did something Leon did that I missed imply that he would press a bunch of switches....

Degeneration needed more than to stay true to the RE canon, and have Court & Mercier on board for their respective characters....I think most of it boils down to that infamous laziness that Capcom has been showing...hopefully they realize this before it is too late...

To Femme: True very disappointing. I thought Claire was much prettier than Angela. Angela was one of those forced chracters if ya know what I mean. Was it me or did she get more screen time and attention than Claire? Not cool.

As for the topic, I believe we are on topic since it is pertaining to the chracters and how they changed. However, if the creator of the topic feels that it's not, I will gladly just take the conversation to PMs or profile messages. I don't want to or mean to hijack anyone's topics, I know the feeling, it's aggravating and defeats the purpose of separate topics. ^_^

Resident James

I like how this topic is going. By all means, tally ho!

Does Capcom actualy look at what the fans are saying or do they ignore us?

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Resident James;45011 said:
I like how this topic is going. By all means, tally ho!

You know, they seem to ignore us, but I bet if we went and caused a big uproar like the RE5 racist claims, then they would change some stuff....

About Angela, she was sort of forced on us, I liked the sibling thing with her and Curtis, nice little plot idea, but she was forced on us, almost as bad as it was with Sheva...

Levan

Polkka. lol
Speaking of getting strong...

I wonder what happened to Barry, Rebecca, Billy and Carlos? Are they stronger now than before? It's like the developers are completely ignoring the four of them. Honestly, I would have liked Rebecca to be Chris' partner rather than a brand new character named Sheva. But meh, unless most of you disagree then it's probably just me. :(

I wonder if they'll make Leon all Chris-on-steroids like when he makes another appearance, gosh I'll probably avoid that game, lol.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Resident James;45011 said:
Generally, I think Capcom is much more concened with what we do, rather than what we say. It's important to keep in mind that they are, above all, just a business whose main goal is to increase their profit margin. It's not a democracy. The thing with RE is that is has such a close, almost cultish following, and unfortunetely this group is not being catered too anymore. I think it's pretty clear that Capcom knows we're going to buy whatever RE game they crank out, and that's it. With RE 4 and RE 4, they already had their 'base fans' buy it, simply because 'Resident Evil' was slapped onto the title. However, what these games intended to do was reach out to a much broader audience, and they were successful in that- the games sold like hot cakes in comparision to the earlier ones. So, no, I don't believe that Capcom listens to what we are saying. They are listening to what we are doing- and the majority of us are still buying whatever it is they try to sell us.
To Femme: True very disappointing. I thought Claire was much prettier than Angela. Angela was one of those forced chracters if ya know what I mean. Was it me or did she get more screen time and attention than Claire? Not cool.
Oh, she for sure got way more screen time, for sure. I just didn't like the fact that it was basically her story, and Leon and Claire just seemed like players to me. The ending ****ed me off as well; I think it was intended for the viewers to think that Claire shouldn't be there or is out of place because Leon and Angela needed a moment. It's just, ugh, it irritated me.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
"Let's go diving sometime".....honestly who writes this stuff.....oh wait, "How about we do some overtime?", "Master of unlocking", "Jill sandwhich", etc.:)

I bet if we did something drastic, then Capcom might listen...perhaps we should get N'Gai Croal to make another ridiculous statement.:) But one in our favor.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Or we could set fire to their headquarters. Although, that might be a little too drastic. :p
"Let's go diving sometime".....honestly who writes this stuff.....oh wait, "How about we do some overtime?", "Master of unlocking", "Jill sandwhich", etc.
Tell me about it; Capcom hasn't employed the most competent people as writers. I remember this line from another CC game that makes me cringe: 'let's make like a tree and get out of here'. I swear some of their lines are really just... wtf, heh.

Top Bottom