• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I have noticed a trend in character development

Resident James

Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing or anything, but I couldn't help but notice a recurring formula for the series. It would be boring if characters didn't get better or anything.

That main characters, like Wesker, Clair, Chris, or Leon, are all normal-ish people in the first game they are in, Leon is just a rookie cop for example. But they become really strong or powerful in the next game they are in.

That Rookie cop Leon is now an agent working for the President and just pulled a James Bond and saved the world (except he didn't sleep with the Girl), and Wesker... he recently looked like he came strait out of the Matrix.

So, if your in a Resident Evil game and survive, chances are, you will be a badass in a few years.:pirate:

I cant wait till Ashley Graham will be killing Zombies with physic powers she gets from the ghost of Luis Sera in the next game she is in.:lol:

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I think that it is more as a result of their first experience that they developed their personalities the way they did, most of them anyway, like how they would train themselves, etc.:)

Trinity

Resident James;44781 said:
I cant wait till Ashley Graham will be killing Zombies with physic powers she gets from the ghost of Luis Sera in the next game she is in.:lol:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

Well,surviving a zombie outbreak does put you in Chuck Norisses shoes,or near :lol:

Hoady

Resident James;44781 said:
Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing or anything, but I could help but notice a recurring formula for the series. It would be boring if characters didn't get better or anything.

That main characters, like Wesker, Clair, Chris, or Leon, are all normal-ish people in the first game they are in, Leon is just a rookie cop for example. But they become really strong or powerful in the next game they are in.

That Rookie cop Leon is now an agent working for the President and just pulled a James Bond and saved the world (except he didn't sleep with the Girl)
True that i suppose you would just adapt but you'd have to be pretty damn good to become like them because i don't know if a case with zombies is enough to get me running up walls and backflipping over lasers lol.

and Wesker... he recently looked like he came strait out of the Matrix.
Hes obviously Neo or he was just a really good role model.Wesker obviously watches the trilogy twice a day.

So, if your in a Resident Evil game and survive, chances are, you will be a badass in a few years.:pirate:
Gotta make an outbreak happen and test this theory.*flicks syringe*

Oh please stop with the Wesker copies the Matrix stuff. (>_<)
...Besides, I thought he was suppose to be the terminator.

*sigh* No one is allowed to do a back flip on TV nowadays without someone going, "OMG MATRIX COPY CATS" besides, Wesker and Neo are total opposites.

Anyways, to be on topic, I agree with Spike. Hell, if I was attacked by zombies Id buff up and take karate classes too.

^I know what they mean and how people compare them, hunters moved fast too ya know. Wesker's a BOW, of course he's gonna move fast. And to me, Wesker and Neo clearly look nothing alike, they simply both wear black outfits and sunglasses. And as far as I know, Wesker came first with the sunglasses and black outfits. (1996) If anything Neo is Wesker.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I think that Wesker didn't look anything like he was from The Matrix until they started giving him trenchcoates(certainly made popular in The Matrix) and making him do all kinds of moves he shouldn't be doing...

Even Wesker's facial structure seems to have changed by RE5, and even resembles that of Keaneu Reaves a bit...like in Captian Courageous' sinature.

I would have said before that he looked more like The Terminator...or just like Wesker.:)

^His STARS outfit gives more of a terminator theme. ^^

...Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a whether Wesker is the Matrix or not topic. Im just quite irritated that people don't bother to look beyond the damn bullet dodging and trenchcoat.

Hoady

Its because its hilarious, theres no way he couldn't be Neo the resemblance is far too great and the bullet dodging and trenchcoats is what makes him Neo and as for the background story he just wanted a new start but realised he can only be the true person he is which is Neo so he started dressing up as his normal self again(blonde hair is to keep some identity).In the final game all will be revealed, Wesker will say that he is the one and then Chris will have to be a successor and kill Neo to rule all of the matrix hes pretty much the equilavent of morpheus.
morphs-pic.gif

Sssshh!Keep it a secret.:ninja:

^Wesker's new facial structure is similiar to Neo's true, but other than that, I still see no resemblence. Neo has bigger lips they have a different nose and removed the glasses on both of them and they REALLY don't look alike.

I miss Wesker's old face anyway. It was better in REmake, RE4, UC, and CV...And that machine game in Japan where they show him for like two seconds.

But meh...you see it as mere humor, that's fine. (^^) But I honestly don't beleive that Capcom was in the office purposely planing Wesker to be a Neo clone or however some people see it.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Well I can't speak for everyone else, but I know that I look at every aspect of his character, and I find it irritating what they have done with him, and certainly adding a Matrix feel to his character. With the different style of outfits that don't even fit him, to the change in facial structure, to the ridiculous action that doesn't even make sense for him to be doing...just all of the changes, he looks, acts and even speaks like a completely different character, obviously from RE1, but even from his more recent appearances in RE0, CVX, RE4, etc...

^I would not mind it if they changed Albert's fighting methods as long as it didn't drift away from his character. (In other words I don't want to see Wesker break dance fighting of something.) Although, I am not completely surprized with his moves in part 5. He has shown signs of such a fighting style in past games. Incredible speed, strengh, and even martial arts. The Chikyo chagi was a move taken from RE4. He didn't have to be "Matrix" to be successful in 4. Hell all he did in 4 was literally sit on his ass and he still rocked the house.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Well his fighting methods are not that of what someone like him would have. Wesker was not some elite special forces guy(unless you count STARS, but his role in there was pretty much as a result of his standing with Umbrella), or some kind of black belt, or tae kwon do guy or some gymnast, he was simply a researcher, those type of activities are not what he did, I wouldn't expect for him to all of a sudden know jujitsu, or to start crawling around on walls like a spider.

I liked him in CVX because his powers were perfect. He seemed like a guy with super speed & strenght, and the way it applied to combat and all fit his personality extremely well. The Matrix style things he does in RE5 do not.

The resemblence is minor, but trenchcoats really have no business in RE, or at the very least with his character, it doesn't fit his style, and I think that was a huge mistake on Capcom's part. His style that they showed in UC & RE5 don't seem to be like him at all...

And I agree that he looked alot cooler in REmake, UC, RE4, etc., and it is too bad that his appearance has changed so much..

Also, the Japanese thing you mentioned, was that Pachinko?

^I believe so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xk-WRRkwI&feature=channel_page

Im not saying his fighting methods should be like what they were in 5, I just think it wasn't much of a surprise because of what i've seen in past games. But as I said, I wouldn't mind seeing him just fight normally, as long as they make it very...Wesker-like, if you know what I mean. I also imagine that he certainly took some kind of combat training for STARS. He was the captain. Can't make the guy a boss if he can't kick the s**t out of someone. Lol.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I think the Pachinko & Pachislot are the same thing, not sure...it is actually kind of a confusing thing...

He should fight like he would, just with strenght and speed, that is what you mean by Wesker-like right? It should almost be like fighting a Terminator, for no better comparision.:)

Well he didn't earn his position in STARS, that is for sure, and I am not saying he didn't do little bits of training, but he was obviously nowhere near as skilled physically as Chris, or many of the other STARS members for that matter, and I think that whatever he did learn in STARS was nothing that could ever excuse or even explain what we saw in RE5...

Well he did have 10 years after that. Lol You think Chris is more skilled than Wesker? Hmmmm, I don't think so, but that's just me.

I know he didn't earn his position in STARS, but what im saying is that he would have to at least convince the other mates that he was worthy of leadership among them. Suppose a gun fight breaks out and Al is not prepared or trained for the experience.

And yes, that's what I meant by more Wesker like, he was great in CV. I don't mind having it spiced up, but i'll live if he's not doing the Kadouken and going super saiyajin. Like I said, he didn't do squat in RE4 and he was still awsome.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Chris is absolutely more skilled than Wesker, not just my opinion, but of course I am talking about physically. As if it where in microbiology or theoretical physics, then Wesker would have the upper hand.:) Chris was in the Air Force, a police officer, in addition to earning his spot on STARS and possibly taking over the Bravo Team Captain position from Enrico, he was a marksman, and had a trophy to prove it.:)

Well sure, but I am not a STARS member or a part of SWAT or anything, but I can still shoot a gun well enough, as well as any of the other things we saw Al do in REmake.:) I am positive that they didn't just except that he was Captain material, but they had no reason to doubt him, I mean why would the Chief Of Police have him as Captain if he weren't qualafied....

And also, what I mean by him being less skille than most of the other STARS, most of them have a speciality, and most of them, if not all have earned their positions, with all having plenty of expierence in that field of work, with Wesker having about 2 years if I remember correctly, with it being split among STARS, Umbrella, creating the ultimate lifeform, finding out what Spencer was up to...he was quite a busy man.:)

Well I personally prefer for him to be sitting his lazy ass in a chair like in RE4 over his ridiculous gymnastics in RE5...that is just something that really bugs me because I know it isn't his character, and I have studied most of the characters enough to know when Capcom screws them up...Wesker being one of the few...but not the only.:(

Resident James

Well, there was a lot of time between RE4 and RE5 for him to get all buffed up.

I can imagine him going through a Rocky Balboa like training montage.

Top Bottom