• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom will open a can of racism on your ass.

strikesback5

Resident Evil has had some bad luck with racism, prejudice, and ethnocentrism. I'm not saying the franchise is racist, but it is true that the game can be slightly offending to certain groups of people. They mainly disrespect Negroids, Mongoloids, and the Spanish. Now before you read the below facts, please tell me this; Why do you think there hasn't been a single African American (or African European, African Canadian, African Asian, African Australian, etc.) who has ever survived in a Resident Evil video game or movie (not including Resident Evil 5, since it is still up in the air whether or not "Sheva Alomar" dies in the game or not).

Resident Evil Zero - See Resident Evil.

Resident Evil - The only black character in the game (Kenneth J. Sullivan) gets his head ripped off at the very beginning of the game, despite him being able to overpower the one zombie, being armed, being skilled, and being a master of knives. As I said before, he dies a gruesome and overly-exaggerated death. Also, when Kenneth J. Sullivan dies, the S.T.A.R.S. team hardly even cares.

Resident Evil 2 - Marvin Branagh, the only African American character in the game dies by getting his intestines ripped out, another gruesome death.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - Marvin Branagh, the only African American character in the game is fatally wounded by getting his intestines ripped out. He still lives however, and Jill Valentine leaves him there to die. She doesn't even bother helping him (even though she knows he is still alive, she just walks by him without saying a word).

Resident Evil 4 - The player kills a bunch of Spanish villagers who are infested with a parasite. Please note that these Spanish people are depicted to be rude (even the Spanish police officers who help Leon S. Kennedy are jerks) and depicted to be Amish (Amish people are people who don't believe in technology). It should also be noted that there is not a single African American (or African European, African Asian, etc.) in the entire film, so they don't even bother putting African Americans in the game, they just leave them out, how rude. They do the same thing to Asians in Resident Evil 4, there aren't any Mongoloids in the game at all.

Resident Evil 5 - You murder black villagers in Africa (who are infected with a parasite). The entire BSAA team is comprised of black people (who all die except for one of them). While the game takes place in Africa, it should be noted that some Caucasians (Europeans, Americans, Canadians, Australians, Newfoundlanders, Jonathanlanders, New Zealanders, etc.) live in Africa, as do some Mongoloids (Asians). It should also be noted that in northern Africa (Egypt, Suez Canal, Morocco, Alegeria, Tunisia, etc.) the people are Arabic (which is a sub-race of Mongoloids).

Resident Evil (remake) - See Resident Evil.

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence - While Kenneth J. Sullivan still dies in the game, they make him out to be a hero and a man of many talents in the game. They also depict him as a good person who always liked helping others and has exceptional skills with knives. He is also a playable character in multiplayer (in both cooperative and versus).

Resident Evil (film) - In the beginning of the movie a black person is killed by the Red Queen and turned into a zombie. Also, the only African American member of the U.B.C.S. team that was sent into "The Hive" dies by getting sliced and diced into over 30 different pieces. However, "One" is considered to be a highly skilled individual who has a range of talents, which include, but are not limited to; dodging lasers, hacking into computers, and firearms.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (film) - The only African American S.T.A.R.S. member is killed by Nemesis and later turns into a zombie who tried to kill his friends. Also, a man who was hiding in a church (who was a Christian) died inside the church, which is disrespectful towards Christians everywhere. Also, inside the same church, the priest who owns the church is depicted to be a crazy psycho who gets eaten by his own sister who is a zombie who he feed humans that he killed (because he is a murdering psychopath). Which could also symbolize that Christianity is evil and that our religious leaders are evil.

Resident Evil: Extinction (film) - One of the two African Americans in the film is depicted as being a traitor who tries to hide the fact that he got bit by a zombie. He uses deceit, deception, and lies to trick his friends and later turns into a zombie and tries to kill them. His girlfriend, who is the other African American is killed in the film.

Jon

And you're racist for pointing it all out.

Surely you patronize "them" by thinking they cannot handle this "racism". I didn't even know Kenneth was black. I'm sure in the REmake you see blood splatter on his face, and it is definately white as I recall. Speaking of which, why isn't killing countless white zombies racist?

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
strikesback5;39390 said:
Resident Evil 5 - You murder black villagers in Africa (who are infected with a parasite). The entire BSAA team is comprised of black people (who all die except for one of them).
Why might that be? Because they're actually in Africa?

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence - While Kenneth J. Sullivan still dies in the game, they make him out to be a hero and a man of many talents in the game. They also depict him as a good person who always liked helping others and has exceptional skills with knives. He is also a playable character in multiplayer (in both cooperative and versus).
Please explain how this is racist.

Resident Evil (film) - In the beginning of the movie a black person is killed by the Red Queen and turned into a zombie. Also, the only African American member of the U.B.C.S. team that was sent into "The Hive" dies by getting sliced and diced into over 30 different pieces.
Do I need to point out how 'One' was the leader of the team and probably the most skilled?

The problem with your assessment, Strikesback5, is that you mention any black character's death as being racist. And that's a bit silly. I don't find Resident Evil to be a racist series at all. RE 5 I question, because I do believe they intentionally cleaned up the game- but other than that these points aren't really valid. Explain to me how they were racist, apart from 'ohh.. a black guy died'.

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
Racism is being abusive towards another race.
So, how the hell is killing off some minor characters (Youy forget that most of those who die first are WHITE) racist?
Wow, people these days.

OK, so answer this.
How is killing AFRICAN villagers who have been infected by a parasite racist?
You could think of it as euthanasia, because they're in so much pain that you can only put them out of their misery to end their suffering. It's self defense.
Say if I was Asian, and I hit a white person who tried to mug me out of self defense. Would I be the racist one? No.

I'm getting sick and tired of the overused 'racism' card.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
There not all black in Resi5 anyway theres like mixed race dudes in the game as well haha the arabic guy gets his head cut off infront of all those people at the start of the game, arabic people dont seem to be mentioned in any of the above, Chris mate I think your right in saying how its all over used this "racism card".

I thought is was like some publicity stunt to make some money... people dont have much to write about now days so they turn agasint videos games, the hole violence in video games has been a issue for awhile now, like the thing about GTA being played by young kids lol

besides what La Femme quoted about Resident Evil: Deadly Silence, it cleary isnt racist ...
but I geuss its something to talk about .. meh I still say its BS its not like thay called the game "resident evil blackman killer" so what the big deal.

Zombie Enclave

strikesback5;39390 said:
Resident Evil 5 - You murder black villagers in Africa (who are infected with a parasite). The entire BSAA team is comprised of black people (who all die except for one of them).

No, the entire BSAA team that dies are all white, and the survivor is a black man, and there is also white and Indian (I believe they have Mexicans also) Majinis. You also don't murder them. Murder means to kill without reason. Chris and Sheva have reasons. They try to kill them. I can't believe how stupid you are. (Unless this was made after the first trailer was made)

strikesback5

La Femme Fatale;39415 said:
@RE5
Why might that be? Because they're actually in Africa?
There are some white people in Africa. Also, not all native Africans are black, up in the northern part of Africa (Egypt, Morocco, Suez Canal, Algeria, Tunisia, etc.) they are Arabic.

@Deadly Silence
Please explain how this is racist.
I was merely counter my own claims by providing both sides of the story. However, Kenneth J. Sullivan does still die, and he is still the only black person in the game.

Do I need to point out how 'One' was the leader of the team and probably the most skilled?
He was, but he also died a gruesome death, just like the African Americans in RE1 and RE2.

The problem with your assessment, Strikesback5, is that you mention any black character's death as being racist. And that's a bit silly. I don't find Resident Evil to be a racist series at all. RE 5 I question, because I do believe they intentionally cleaned up the game- but other than that these points aren't really valid. Explain to me how they were racist, apart from 'ohh.. a black guy died'.
Well not once did an African American character live (not even in the movies). Except maby in RE5 and the only reason Capcom did that is because they were being called racists.

strikesback5

I didn't know that. I was not including spin-offs in there, but thanks for your input, you just deterred my way of thinking about this.

Zombie Enclave

I see. Well, the Outbreak games were sorta canon, if your counting ones that are canon. Also, the black man that is killed in RE3 is Patrick Teyller and is killed by Nickolia. Marvin does not appear in RE3, even though the game is set 24 hours after the events of RE2.

strikesback5

Ark;39448 said:
I see. Well, the Outbreak games were sorta canon, if your counting ones that are canon. Also, the black man that is killed in RE3 is Patrick Teyller and is killed by Nickolia. Marvin does not appear in RE3, even though the game is set 24 hours after the events of RE2.

Actually Marvin is in RE3, he is found laying on the floor and he is fatally wounded (meaning he is wounded very bad and is not suspected to survive). He is also unconscious.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
racism.jpg

Zombie Enclave

Really? I researched about it and only heard about the only black man was a UBCS soldier named Patrick Teyller. But I did hear that Marvin was never suppose to die in the beta of RE2.

AgentHUNK

Mr. Death
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds the fact that he used the word mongoloid to describe asians extremely disturbing?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mongoloid

2. Anthropology. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of one of the traditional racial divisions of humankind, marked by yellowish complexion, prominent cheekbones, epicanthic folds about the eyes, and straight black hair, and including the Mongols, Manchus, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Annamese, Siamese, Burmese, Tibetans, and, to some extent, the Eskimos and the American Indians: no longer in technical use.

also mongoloid Offensive A person affected with Down syndrome.

MOD EDIT: Strikesback5 is banned and we have made it clear that there's no intent to lift it. No need to cover it again. :)

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Hmmm, I think he forgot to mention that all of the black characters in RE have been in heroic roles, Marvin Branaugh, Kenneth J. Sullivan, Mark Wilkins, Jim Chappman, Dan DeChat, Josh Stone, Tyrell(from RE3, although he wasn't good guy, he wasn't exactly a bad guy either, just a Supervisor.:) )

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Ark;39838 said:
DeChant wasn't a black man though.

Wasn't he? I was under the impression that he was the guy it showed in the opening, looking through goggles or whatever...

To be honest know I have no idea what he even looks like.:)

Top Bottom