• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil VII confirmed.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
If they're going for somewhat realistic scariness this time, they better not ruin it by placing a teleporting merchant with funny lines and a weird accent in every other room.
Honestly I'm not not even sure why they did it then. It was very weird and random how you meet him outside that house. It didn't seem to fit the theme of RE4 let alone re7. I don't want him in it either (unless maybe Mercs or something. Still waiting for the game featuring Ashley in Mercs with just an inventory full of lanterns), but I don't know what else the coin could be.
Instead of just giving us a bunch of unsolvable mysteries, they could maybe finally start answering some of them. The whole mystery approach is cool and all, and I don't want them to reveal everything by any means, but at least give us something to go on so we know it's headed in the right direction.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Resident Evil VII will have no cutscenes. Everything will be play out right in front of the main character's eyes to avoid the immersion being broken.

In other words: Not only are we not going to see our playable character in-game, we're never going to see him or her at all. Which also means no unlockable outfits, because, what would be the point? But apparently they're reworking the VR system after it made many players feel sick. Yay, I guess.

This is getting more and more out of hand. Why don't they just call it "Slenderman: RE Edition" already? Or how about "Resident Evil: Amnesia", because that also happens to be the name of the disease the developers are suffering from when it comes to remembering what made the classics so great. I guess the fans who were complaining about RE not being scary anymore finally got a twisted version of their wish: Everything possible is being done to make the new game scary and immersive again! And... well, that's about all that is being done. Forget about the characters, who knows if we even still have a character with a name and a face, if we're never going to see them anyway. We might as well be playing as a ghost. Or as a girl collecting pages that tell us the story.

Call me a hater if you want, but until I hear something new about RE VII that doesn't ruin my anticipation long before the game is even out, I will consider 6 the last game in the series. This new thing is... something else.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
@Hel we'll be seeing other Resident Evil titles and we got movie Vendetta at least 0.0 I get the gut feeling that we will see a Revelations 3 or something.

I'm a little disappointed about the no cutscene thing as well. I get very bored and spinning in circles while listening to dialogue. I'd rather see and feel the emotions and be engaged with the characters in the story. That's what makes it feel real to me.

The trailer showed what looked like part of a cutscene. I guess you'll just be standing there or in the area kind of like BioShock or something. I just really hope they can pull it off. I have a pretty good feeling that the game is going to be very good, but.... I don't want them sacrificing the story :(

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I'm getting more and more dubious about this game... Cutscenes were always a massive part of RE and telling the story. They're changing everything I love about RE.
@Hel we'll be seeing other Resident Evil titles and we got movie Vendetta at least 0.0 I get the gut feeling that we will see a Revelations 3 or something.
I understand what you're saying, and don't get me wrong because I love the Revelations series and I'm very much looking forward to Vendetta. But at the same time, I want to be excited for a main series big installment. A few months ago, when I imagined the RE7 announcement and following news I thought I'd be more excited than ever. It's pretty much the opposite. It's not like it's a complete spin off like Umbrella Corps where I think, 'it doesn't interest me, but that's fine because it's a spin off'. It's a main series entry, and they only come around every 3-4 years... I want to be hyped for the next huge RE game.

I'll still keep an open mind when playing it. But I'm just getting more and more doubts the more we hear about it.

Last edited:

black 93

I gotta admit, i am really looking forward to this game, im all for something new and im keeping an open mind for this game just like i did with RE6. The first person dosen't bother me in the slightest, however if i have one problem with what we've been shown so far, is i am kinda dissapointed that no characters are returning. People can say the atmosphere is the most important thing in RE, but characters like Chris, Jill, Claire are part of what makes RE what it is. I can't imagine running around the mansion or the village as anyone else but those characters, we care about those characters and have years of history with them, and im all for new characters, but i do agree that playing as a faceless, nameless, probably voiceless character just isnt going to be the same. If it's a new character that has some link to established one's like Moira did, that's probably better than just a randomer coming in. Of course we know next to nothing yet, all we have concrete is the demo, i just really hope Capcom put some effort into this new character and don't focus everything into just making the atmosphere scary. The game can be as scary as it wants, but without a character we care about, the game won't be as memorable. Like i said, im not bashing the game, this is the most excited iv been for a Resi in a long time, but that's my only concern so far.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Most of unlockable costumes are ridiculous tbh. Now instead of cutscenes I think we'll get some kind of uncontrollable scripted segments like for example in E3 reveal we saw briefly the protagonist crashed his car or when he got approached by a cop to progress the story or characterization.

Also, keep in mind that the demo does actually have cutscenes. It's when Pete gets stabbed in the back and when you find and pull Andre out of the pipe. The field of view in PSVR gameplay is reduced when that happens as if you were watching a movie instead playing game in VR. Same thing might be included in the full game and maybe they just wouldn't classify it as 'cutscene'. Best bet is TGS will reveal more about who the main protagonist is, the background story, what he's doing in the house, etc.

Last edited:

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Most of unlockable costumes are ridiculous tbh. Now instead of cutscenes I think we'll get some kind of uncontrollable scripted segments like for example in E3 reveal we saw briefly the protagonist crashed his car or when he got approached by a cop to progress the story or characterization.

Also, keep in mind that the demo does actually have cutscenes. It's when Pete gets stabbed in the back and when you find and pull Andre out of the pipe. The field of view in PSVR gameplay is reduced when that happens as if you were watching a movie instead playing game in VR. Same thing might be included in the full game and maybe they just wouldn't classify it as 'cutscene'. Best bet is TGS will reveal more about who the main protagonist is, the background story, what he's doing in the house, etc.
except the demo hasnt got anything to do with the main game apparently.
What you say about random things happening in the game to change to progress of the story, well let me just say Operation raccoon city was portrayed to do that but was the most linear game of the series, although it was a spin off title so we have that.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
except the demo hasnt got anything to do with the main game apparently.
What you say about random things happening in the game to change to progress of the story, well let me just say Operation raccoon city was portrayed to do that but was the most linear game of the series, although it was a spin off title so we have that.
Storywise? yes the demo has nothing to do with full game, that's why they confirmed that RE 7 won't be a ghost story as the demo suggests, and I don't think we'll see Clancy or Pete again. The tone and gameplay I think will be very similar to the demo, they put axe and dummy finger there to tease the combat and inventory mechanics (RE 4 tetris-style inventory?), so I believe (or at least there's a great chance) that RE 7 will also have uncontrollable scripted segments to advance storyline whether you wanna call it cutscenes or not. Regarding linearity I think RE 7 will indeed be linear but there's an interesting interview on this

"Question: Players who decide to replay the game will still be able to relive the horror as well as find new parts they previously never ran into in their first play through, correct?

Nakanishi: We wanted people to think "So.. where do I use this thing?" among other things that cleverly puzzle the player.

Kawada: There will be some gimmicks that people may not even run into at all. You may have a friend or partner etc who will notice something and say something like "Wait... what was that?...". We wanted a preview of the sensation that you will be able to experience in the main game when it releases."

This kinda implies multiple endings and "What if I do this, what if I didn't do that" type of scenarios which increases replayability of the game.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
that just seems like replaying the demo and finding the ghost girl in a spot you didnt before, even though her differing appearences doesnt change the outcome anyway.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The game got its ESRB rating, and it includes some mild spoilers, such as the identity of the main character.

Proceed at your own risk => Source

(No real spoilers if you ask me, but everyone feels differently about such things.)

Fenris

Wolf :)
"any chances Ethans second name is Sunderland and his wifes name is Mary? :D

Nah just kidding... But so far the plot doesn't seem that exciting to me. Everything just seems taken out of other games/movies without any reinvention."]

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Wait a minute, that description mentiones cutscenes. So are they in the game or not, I guess Capcom has different definition of cutscenes than ESRB.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
Wait a minute, that description mentiones cutscenes. So are they in the game or not, I guess Capcom has different definition of cutscenes than ESRB.
I'm willing to bet Capcom's 'no cutscenes' meant something more along the lines of 'no traditional cutscenes'. Meaning that everything will likely stay in the first-person, VR view.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I'm willing to bet Capcom's 'no cutscenes' meant something more along the lines of 'no traditional cutscenes'. Meaning that everything will likely stay in the first-person, VR view.

It could be in an in game scripted scene like how Half Life and the Bioshock games do it. Kind of like in the Demo when we go into the basement.

Though the E3 trailer had some scenes that looked like pre-rendered cutscenes in the second half. So I'm kind of thinking there will still be cutscenes in the game. I'm not worried about it. I think that they won't be as frequent and will be at certain parts that don't break the flow of the game play because..... of *sighs* "VR".

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Jill, a woman searching for her missing STARS squadmate
Chris, a man searching for his presumed dead partner
Claire, a woman searching for her missing brother
Leon, a man searching for the president's daughter

and now
Ethan, a man searching for his missing wife..

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Jill, a woman searching for her missing STARS squadmate
Chris, a man searching for her presumed dead partner
Claire, a woman searching for her missing brother
Leon, a man searching for the president's daughter

and now
Ethan, a man searching for his missing wife..

Wow.... Chris is a trans? There certainly does seem to be a lot of "searching for missing people" in the series.

Barry, a man searching for his missing daughter....

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
That doesn't even cover it all. Now that I think about it, every entry in the main series has its plot started and/or its main conflict introduced by someone looking for something.

Zero: Apart from looking for the truth behind the incidents in Raccoon City, Bravo Team is also looking for Billy Coen, while Marcus is searching for revenge.
RE1: Alpha Team is looking for the missing Bravo Team.
RE2: Umbrella came looking for the G-virus, causing an outbreak in the process, now Claire is caught up in it looking for her brother, the Birkins are looking for each other, Mister X came to look for a G-virus sample, the same thing Ada is looking for while pretending to be looking for her boyfriend, so even her excuse involves looking for something, Ben Bertolucci was looking for a great story, and Leon... well, he's probably looking for a hairdresser.
RE3: Nemesis comes to the town looking for STARS survivors to kill them, creating the main obstacle preventing Jill from leaving town. The epilogue then tells us that Jill started looking for Chris after the events of Raccoon City.
Operation Raccoon City: As it turns out (in this alternate reality at least), the Umbrella unit looking for the G-virus was the Wolfpack, and they are now also looking for witnesses to kill, which Echo Six make it their mission to look for survivors to rescue.
Code Veronica: Claire is still looking for her brother and gets caught, which leads to him also looking for her, and Wesker comes to Rockfort Island looking for that new power that is Alexia's virus.
RE4: Leon is sent to Spain to look for the president's daughter.
Revelations: Jill and Chris are looking for each other.
RE5: Chris is looking for Jill again... and for Wesker, in a way.
Revelations 2: Alex kidnaps the majority of Terra Save because she's looking for a vessel, which leads to Barry looking for his kidnapped daughter.
RE6: Where to start... Helena gets Leon to look for her sister with her, then they go looking for Simmons while the government is looking for them. Ada is looking for the truth while everyone else is looking for her after Carla made her look bad, including Chris, after Piers spent half a year looking for him. Chris is also searching for his memory. The government is looking for a cure to the C-virus and sent Sherry to look for Jake, and now the Ustanak is looking for them and they get kidnapped, prompting Chris and Piers to look for them as well.

And now there's RE7 with
Ethan looking for his wife, many fans looking for a reason to play this game, and the Family... well, I suppose they're looking for recruits or something.
Geez! I don't think I wrote "looking" that often since I got here...

I don't remember the CGI films well enough, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out by rewatchting them that everyone was once again looking for something.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I don't remember the CGI films well enough, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out by rewatchting them that everyone was once again looking for something.

Leon was looking for a conspiracy in Damnation. In Degeneration Claire went looking for evidence of the attack?

As far as games go. Most games have someone looking for something or someone. Most of the time a playable character or the player will aid with that as a general goal. A majority of plot driven games will contain an element of this. Some times it's minor, other times it's major.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Wow.... Chris is a trans? There certainly does seem to be a lot of "searching for missing people" in the series.

Barry, a man searching for his missing daughter....
lol sry I've edited it now, and yeah Barry too..

so anyway since this game is rated M they should bring back this loading/warning screen too

4ljfv77ogn9x.jpg

also noticed something from the ESRB info
The summary also mentions a couple scenes of pretty intense-sounding graphic violence. These include dismemberment by chainsaw and shovel, in addition to a shovel getting impaled through a character's face. There are also areas that include mangled corpses with guts hanging out, exposed to the whole world. On top of that, you'll be exposed to naughty words like "f**k" and "s**t," so get your earplugs ready if you don't want your ears debased.

It looks like Capcom has been listening to Cannibal Corpse songs then decided to implement their lyrics in the game \m/

Last edited:
Top Bottom