• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Anyone else think RE6 gets too much crap?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
My favourite REs are and will always be the first three, whereas 6 is my favourite out of everything that came after Nemesis. But that's just my personal opinion and not the reason I think it gets too much crap. I think it gets too much crap because it at least attempts to please fans, but those attempts are not appreciated at all. Let's see:

It has dark places (unlike RE5). It also has zombies (unlike RE5 and 4). It tries to be scary (and doesn't succeed, but it tries). It features Chris and Leon in the same game (something that fans have dreamed of since forever). It features the return of Sherry as well as many other known faces, and even characters who don't appear in person are at least mentioned (like Claire and Sheva). It also makes many references to past games. With four campaigns, it is the biggest and longest game in the series to date, one that can't easily be completed in under five hours for a change.

Of course RE6 doesn't succeed at everything (like being scary, as I said; but it's not like 5 did a great job at that either). I also understand that there may be other reasons people don't like the game. But to treat it like the worst piece of crap that has ever been released is way over the top.

Masterteo89_

I think it gets too much crap because it at least attempts to please fans, but those attempts are not appreciated at all.

Probably. I don't really know. But if other fans are like me, it's true. Because, if RE6 wanted to please fans, it simply had to use the old style of gameplay. Only that, i like i guess many other players wouldn't ask for anything more.

Keep the plot, keep the graphics and the characters, just give us back the good old style of game.

But you know, if someone would do that we will be again at a starting point. Old style fans like me would be pleased, but all the other player that prefer the new style of RE 4 - 5 - 6 would be ****ed.

There's no turning back, after RE4, Capcom deserve the praises, but also the crap by players like me that don't see the new games as an improvement in the RE franchise

weskerondope

if only capcom made a spin off resident evil old school game, with ps1 or maybe gamecube era graphics, but with high resolution and widescreen support, pre rendered backgrounds, backtrackin, typewriters and item boxes, zombies and all that stuff that made resident evil great,

i think resident evil 4 is a great game regardless, it was made with passion, but if you remove the formula of a great game simply cause the formula doesnt sell anymore, then i rather see the resident evil series shut down for good, i decided to give revelations 2 a chance, if it dissapoints me then im done with the series completely (except for the older games of course)

Masterteo89_

if only capcom made a spin off resident evil old school game, with ps1 or maybe gamecube era graphics, but with high resolution and widescreen support, pre rendered backgrounds, backtrackin, typewriters and item boxes, zombies and all that stuff that made resident evil great,

i think resident evil 4 is a great game regardless, it was made with passion, but if you remove the formula of a great game simply cause the formula doesnt sell anymore, then i rather see the resident evil series shut down for good, i decided to give revelations 2 a chance, if it dissapoints me then im done with the series completely (except for the older games of course)

Agree, completely. With RE 4 - 5 - 6 Capcom not only killed the RE series not only because, as you say, Capcom removed the formula of a great game. Capcom also destroyed some good characters!

Ada Wong : way better if we did not see her again after RE2. Her part was great and complete. And the end was great, Ada surviving in the shadows while Leon mourned her not knowing that she was still alive(Goodbye, Ada...remember that scene, in the cutscene on the train? ).

That was a great love story! ...Ruined starting with RE4.

Wesker : great in RE1. And he was great too in Code Veronica : he was like a intelligent tyrant but not over-powered ( Alexia was stronger...).

In RE5 Wesker could have been come out of DragonBall Z. Completely ruined. Suddenly Wesker in RE5 was like a god.

-----------------------

All in all, it would have been better if after Code Veronica the new RE would have been called with a different name...because they have no more a RE soul. They keep only the name.

weskerondope

agreed, resident evil 1 had great story for a horror game from 1996, nothing like it had never been seen before in the gaming world, but capcom never really topped that story in the sequells, what bothers me most from a story point of view is that everytime they seemed to have an interesting and mysterious story for a game they ended up changing the story before the games release (like resident evil 4 beta and early revelations)

the first revelations trailer had me asking a million questions, the story seemed to go in a completely new direction there, but as soon as the game came out it turned out it was just another rescue mission story with biological terrorists

and now we got resident evil revelations 2 comming out, let me guess, barry is there simply cause they wanna seduce fans, the story will be about biological terrorists causing a new outbreak just for the hell of it, and i bet it will end with the characters fighting a huge tyrant and then somebody throws a grenade launcher in their direction and thats about it.
lets hope im wrong somewhere

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
i guess re6 gets a little to much crap
maybe the reason it gets to much crap is cause it was labelled as a resident evil game when its not

but i think on the other hand that revelations deserve way more crap than re6 on all levels
at least re6 had some mild references to the older games in leons campaign when revelations just didnt even try

So is the general quality of a game invalidated if the story doesn't have overt references to an overarching story?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I can only speak for myself, but if that was the only issue with Revelations 1, I would probably love it. Just like RE6 is getting too much crap, Revelations is getting too much praise. Yes, it was a little more like the classics, but also damn boring and barely worth a second playthrough...

Masterteo89_

Storywise, the last good RE in my opinion is Code Veronica.

You start with a simple plot ( Claire has to escape a prison on a island) and then the plot gets very interesting because you start to learn all about the Ashford family and the Twins.

And then Alexia appears and you have to kill her. To me this is a more than average plot for a RE game.

New RE games? It's all the same terrorist group that release a virus (or the parasites, in RE 4 - 5 ) and have to be stopped.

Oh, also my favourite RE ( RE2) suffered of simple plot. Yes, storywise Code Veronica has the better plot. And the better main enemy.

Alexia Ashford started being mentioned almost from the beginning, making you desire to know more about her, to see her. Then you discovered that she is Alfred and get disappointed...only to discover later the unexpected truth.

Also...the fight betwheen Alexia and Wesker is short but one of the best cutscenes of all RE history. Alexia was way stronger than Wesker...

Yes, Alexia is my favourite female antagonist

Anthony Darrow

RE6 was good. Granted not as good as the earlier games but still good. some of the story was explained and it shows whats happening in the world of RE. controls and leon falling over everything... less said the better lol

One-Winged Angel

Cecil "There is sorrow in those wintery eyes..."
Check out this epic video O_O ,it belongs to the youtuber Dartigan he's awesome ^_^

Last edited:

weskerondope

why does everyone think code veronica is the last good game?
i figured that people dont like re4 but whats wrong with zero and remake?

Masterteo89_

why does everyone think code veronica is the last good game?
i figured that people dont like re4 but whats wrong with zero and remake?

I never mention them because... RE ZERO i never played it. I don't have and don't plan to buy a Gamecube.

RE 1 REMAKE for ps2...i searched it a lot, but never found it.

RE HD REMAKE...mah. I can't really judge, my pc is too weak for that game. But i hope it is not " improved " in the gameplay like they do in these last years :

i'm talking about the small things that sometimes are added inside a remastered game in order to make it more easy. So that evryone can play it and win without efforts.

I like challenges. RE 1 for psx for example was hard. There was no easy mode, you played it and learned how to play...else it was game over. That was a excellent challenge

KevinStriker

RE 1 REMAKE for ps2...i searched it a lot, but never found it.

Because REmake was exclusive to GameCube. The cover says "Only in GameCube" in the top-left hand corner. It was also released on the Wii under "Resident Evil Archives", but until the REmaster, those were the only two places to find it.

Masterteo89_

Because REmake was exclusive to GameCube. The cover says "Only in GameCube" in the top-left hand corner. It was also released on the Wii under "Resident Evil Archives", but until the REmaster, those were the only two places to find it.

So i searched for a year a game that was for Gamecube but i thought was for ps2 ?

Wonderful, no wonder that i did not find it...

weskerondope

well i guess good for you guys, you have 2 nice resident evil games to look forward too playing, all you gotta do is get a cheap gamecube/wii or just run emulator if your pc can handle it (if not then a future pc of yours)

KevinStriker

I would just suggest getting a second hand Wii because GameCubes tend to get expensive once you want more than the unit itself.

Masterteo89_

well i guess good for you guys, you have 2 nice resident evil games to look forward too playing, all you gotta do is get a cheap gamecube/wii or just run emulator if your pc can handle it (if not then a future pc of yours)

Emulator could be my only solution. But how are the controls? Gamecube has more buttons in the joypad? Because i play with the keyboard only when i use an emulator. So, i can play only if there are only a few buttons.

As you can guess, i don't even know how is the controller of the Gamecube.

KevinStriker

Emulator could be my only solution. But how are the controls? Gamecube has more buttons in the joypad? Because i play with the keyboard only when i use an emulator. So, i can play only if there are only a few buttons.

As you can guess, i don't even know how is the controller of the Gamecube.

The GameCube controller doesn't even have as many buttons as the PS2 controller. It doesn't have a select button, there's only a Z Bumper on one side, and you can't press down on the joysticks to find buttons.

weskerondope

if one uses emulator i recomend hooking up a controller to the computer, for instance 360 controller or ps2/ps3 controller should do the job, playing nes games with keyboard is no big deal since that controller has like 1 button, but yeah the gamecube controller has more buttons than that so it wont be very nice i suppose, but for people who are used to playing pc versions of re 1-3 then you can pretty much map the keyboard so it plays like them

if one where to buy a wii then i still recomend playing the games with gamecube controller, resident evil remake/zero was released for both gamecube and wii, and wii can play gamecube games, also the wii editions of the games support gamecube controller input, if you get wii then wii editions of the games are the best to get, you get 1 disc versions of each game instead of 2 disc versions and you wont need to buy a gamecube memory card

Masterteo89_

Well, i play RE 1 - 2 - 3 - Code Veronica on pc in these last few years. Even if i have ps2 and the original games...

I usually need only the keyboard.
All the buttons are in the same zone, in my configuration :

Left ctrl = aim
Left shift = examine, shoot
< = run, cancel
Z = inventory
X = map

In my QWERTY keyboard these buttons are all in the bottom-left. Easy to memorize.

And belive me, if with this configuration i can beat RE2 hard mode A and B scenarios with B rank, it means that this button configuration that i use is easy to memorize and easy to use.

Top Bottom