• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your Personal RE Game Rankings

D

Deleted member 21244

RE7 the most panic inducing RE game to date? Hardly. It's such an easy game, even when in combat. Resident Evil 2 REmake, while extremely flawed as a remake, is the far superior experience that feels more realized as a Resident Evil game.
Yeah resident evil 7 is the most panic inducing Re game for now, that can only be compare whit re 1... Re 2 remake doesn't give any panic at all, and I personally think its not superior to re 7 since it feels incomplete regarding story perspective, while resident evil 7 story is complete and more entertaining... Resident evil 2 remake was not that hard either since it share the same difficulty as resident evil 7, I never died one time in resident evil 2 remake playing in standard the first time, while I died a couple of time in resident evil 7, so I don't se how you can say that it's an easy game... Also re 2 remake take all its gameplay concept from resident evil 7, so I can't see how you can say that resident evil 2 deliver a better resident evil experience than re 7 since they have the same gameplay only Tha re 2 is in third persone view, and only add zombies as new gameplay concept...
Just different opinion dude, there are people who like resident evil 7 more than re 2 remake and fell it as more panic compared to other resident evil, and I am one of those... While there are other who fell the other way around...
Obviously don't get me wrong but I love re 2 remake, and I'm currently replaying it right now, it's beautiful, if only the story was any good, it could have been the perfect re game

Last edited by a moderator:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
RE7 the most panic inducing RE game to date? Hardly. It's such an easy game, even when in combat. Resident Evil 2 REmake, while extremely flawed as a remake, is the far superior experience that feels more realized as a Resident Evil game.

I have to say that the beginning of RE2 Remake is the most panic inducing part of the game due to the increased zombie presence and Mr. X. Then, the game gets progressively less scary as it moves in to Sci Fi horror, but it is still great. Then, the first REmake. But RE7 is in a close 3rd. At least until the end. I didn't even really like the ship part of the game, but even that area was terrifying. But to each his own!

D

Deleted member 21244

I have to say that the beginning of RE2 Remake is the most panic inducing part of the game due to the increased zombie presence and Mr. X. Then, the game gets progressively less scary as it moves in to Sci Fi horror, but it is still great. Then, the first REmake. But RE7 is in a close 3rd. At least until the end. I didn't even really like the ship part of the game, but even that area was terrifying. But to each his own!
The first half of re 2 remake was Infact scary but doesn't deliver panic at least for me, I find Mr x to be the only heart jump in this game... While I was always scared to death in re 7... Obviously each his own since panic and scare depend on taste and emotion of people, I know people that get scared while facing the chainsaw in resident evil 4 or Verdugo di ghiaccio or salazar but didn't get scare or into panic while facing other enemy in other resident evil game... It's just different people taste

D

Deleted member 21244

I'm currently replaying the series in chronological order, starting from re 0 to re 7, counting all spin off, and I simply love every re game... I mean this franchise is so beautiful I love it, I love it so much that if I had to redoo the list I will put all the re game at first place, I just love every single one of them... It's just a part of my life...

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I have been addicted to watching people make Tier Lists on Youtube recently. Bravo for the informative expression!

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
S Tier

RE2, Remake

A Tier

RE3 = RECV, RE4 = RE6

B Tier

RE5, Darkside Chronicles, RE1

C Tier

Revelations 2 = RE2 Remake

D Tier

RE0, Revelations, RE7

Last edited:

Roku

Ok, this is gonna be an hard one.

Here's a bunch of very unpopular opinions:

#1 - Resident Evil 1/Remake, Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Revelations 2:

I just can't decide between this three, mainly because I love them for very different reasons. Remake's atmosphere is unparalleled and so is its design, I just can't name a game that managed to make me feel so much with its atmosphere alone (I remember stopping every few minutes to just watch and admire every room and object). I'm still blown away by how well designed the mansion is, which is why it's my most favorite location ever. I also love the gameplay to bits, Remake really is the peak of survival horror.

Resident Evil 4 is the game with the best pacing imo, I've played this game multiple times (like 10), and you'd think I'd get bored by playing certain section by now, but everytime I play it I feel the same amount of excitement I felt the first time around, even my least favorite sections are extremely funny to play through and this is because the game is so well thought out and designed, everything has a purpose in this game, which is why it manages to connect every aspect (design, story, gameplay and so on) so well.

Revelations 2 is the RE with the best story and cast of characters imo. I just love the story so much; it made sense, had a nice pacing and had a few twist that took me off guard, it felt refreshing and very human in a way. The characters too felt extremely relatable and genuine, which made for good interactions and memorable moments. I also loved Barry and Moira's relationship, it gave us a nice peek in Barry's life and reminded me that fighting Bows aren't the only problems this characters face to a daily basis. I also love the new characters: Moira is probably the best new character of the series (being the only one who's had a strong character arc and managed to grow in 1 game only), Alex is the perfect villain and Natalia is a sweet child. REV2 also has my fav references, final battle and ending in the series, I loved how they managed to the take old lines, such as "I have this" and make them iconic (for the right reasons this time around).

#2 - Resident Evil 3:

Resident Evil 3 has a lot that I love: it has my fav Jill (she's my fav alongside Leon and Moira), it has Nemesis (who manages to be extremely scary everytime I play through it), it has a lot of locations I love (I just love running around Raccoon City's street), it has Carlos, and it has the best gameplay of the old RE style game, with unique mechanics such as the live action selection (which I still love to death).

I also love the story because despite its simplicity it feels very personal, with Nemesis specifically haunting you down, with Jill's frustration and distrust and a lot of extremely memorable moment. Also, it has my sec fav ending in the series, with Jill's: "You want STARS? I'll give you STARS!" (fav line of the series, as I've already said there is a lot that I love). The extra ending are also extremely nice.

#3 - Resident Evil Revelations and 0

Had an hard time picking between this two so I've decided to put both. Rev is an extremely good 3DS game, with a lot of nice features but it's campaign isn't the most replayable. I like its location and I love Jill's sections (can't say the same for Chris, though I don't dislike them either), Parker is cool, and while I'm not a fan of Rachel's design, I enjoy her as an enemy (and most of the enemies in general, they're cool).

I know I'm in the minority but I love 0 unique features, I love switching between Billy and Rebecca and the absence of a item boxed added a layer to the item management and made it feel a bit more strategic. I also like Billy and Rebecca's friendship and love Billy's backstory and characterization.
Another thing I love is the train section and the research facility. Honestly, the only things holding zero back are its enemy design and the design of the latter's level tbh.

#4 - Resident Evil 2 Remake:

This is the one game that will probably switch positions with Revelations in the future, as of now it's only here because I've played it so much to the point of being burned out. It basically fixed every problem I had with the original RE2: the police station redesign is great and memorable, it's challenging and the enemies feels threatening. Im not a fan of Ada, so Leon's campaign in the original felt a bit meh despite being well written, and while I still don't like her, I like Leon's story more this time around.

#5 - Resident Evil 6:
I like the story, mostly, and I enjoyed some campaign's/section. The game it's fun, though, some parts were a bit of a chore to deal with (mostly Chris campaign, despite it having the best story imo, it made me care for Chris a bit more).

#6 - Code Veronica X:
I love Claire in this one and the Redfield reunion is nice, but I'm not a fan of it's overall story, villains and gameplay (which felt very old even for its age, and a step back from 3).
Code Veronica is badly designed imo and that's its main flaw, the game had a lot of potential though, which is why I'd love to see a remake of it.

P.s.: The Wesker-Redfield feud is always cool to watch, so there is that

#7 - Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 2:

The only thing I really love about the game is its DLC, I like the files and the second half but that's about it. It's a solid game, but for me it's just ok.

Resident Evil 2 is a good game but it had some flaws that I just can't overlook: it's a lot more linear than RE1 (which made me feel like I had less freedom in a way), it's extremely easy (the easiest RE imo) which make it less tense and I'm not a fan of it's enemies and level design.
Lickers are blind so it's very easy to avoid and to take them out, they didn't feel like a threat to me and Mr X wasn't all that intimidating especially since it appeared so little (I also didn't find its design scary). The story is solid and well written but... It didn't really reasonated with me, with the exception of Claire's bond with Sherry. The A and B scenarios were cool but I felt like they didn't really change much at the end of the day, I'll admit though that it was better implemented than in the remake and that the story bits fitted nicely together.

#8 - Resident Evil 7:

Ive enjoyed playing through RE7, even more than some title in this list, and I love its atmosphere and design, so why it is my least liked RE game? Mmm, because I've never felt like replaying it, which is a first for a RE game. I dunno, it's just like all the hype and excitement I felt while playing it vanished once I finished it, and the more I think about it and the more it bothers me, stuff I loved while playing doesn't feels as appealing to me now. I think that part of the reason it's the lack of connections to the rest of the saga.

There is also the fact that it doesn't quite manages to completely recapture RE's unique atmosphere for more than a few sections.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I've finally played and completed enough RE games to feel confident enough making my first ranking list.

5 thumbs = Excellent
4 thumbs = Great
3 thumbs = Good
2 thumbs = Okay
1 thumb = Bad
Thumbs down = Terrible

1. RE1 remake (2002) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) - It is and will always remain my favorite game in the series, period. The EPITOME of what Resident Evil is about, this is a true survival horror masterpiece that is unrivaled by everything else. Not only does it respectfully preserve the original, it expands upon it. The story of this game remains the best in the series.

2. RE2 remake (2019) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) - Even though I played the remake before the OG RE2, with the benefit of hindsight I think the remake is superior. Even though it didn't get the A/B scenarios right, it did everything else right and managed to capture 90's survival horror in a modern third-person game. With beautiful graphics, a well put together story and high replay value, this game will age like fine wine for sure.

3. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (2015) (y)(y)(y)(y) - Revelations 2 is a true gem that deserves every bit of credit it can get. It brought back a much-needed sense of dread and horror to a series which at that time was in a pretty bad spot. People wrongly give RE7 credit for bringing back the series to the limelight, when it was actually the huge popularity surrounding Revelations 2 that convinced Capcom to move forward with games such as RE2 remake. For a spin-off, the graphics are actually really good and the story plus setting is definitely classic RE style. Besides, the Burtons are awesome and I would love to see another RE game featuring Barry with his daughter.

4. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) (y)(y)(y)(y) - OG RE3 was the first Resident Evil that I played, and it still holds a special place in my heart. The Nemesis is an amazing antagonist that puts most other RE bosses to shame when it comes to sheer power and ability to hunt you down. Although they don't talk to each other, there does exists a sense of character arc building between him and Jill over the course of the game. Raccoon City is also very well executed in terms of exploration and atmosphere, if you want to experience the Raccoon City incident THIS is the game that does it best. Jill has so many epic quotes in this game, but my favorite is her whole intro speech which gives me goosebumps every time. It's such a shame that it never got the remake it deserved.

5. Resident Evil 2 (1998) (y)(y)(y)(y) - I'll have to admit that this game is good, and I would be lying if I said otherwise. Even though the sheer technicality of the A/B scenarios didn't impress me, I can imagine that they were a big deal back in 1998. Nevertheless, this game is such an improvement from RE1 in terms of graphics, gameplay, exploration, dialogue and so on, that it deserves every bit of credit it can get. I thoroughly enjoyed it even after playing it for the first time in 2020.

6. Resident Evil: Code Veronica (2000) (y)(y)(y) - Code Veronica definitely stands out as one of the weirdest and most unique games in the series. The atmosphere in this game is beautiful in an otherwordly way, it almost feels like traversing through someone's dream (not unlike many Silent Hill games). The characters feel and act more like Disney characters this time around, with Alfred in particular acting laughably over the top. The game is ridiculously hard, with bosses like the middle Tyrant being especially unforgiving. The story is full of fascinating lore though, and with improved dialogue the character interactions could be top notch. If any game in the series deserves a modern remake, it is THIS ONE. With the right people involved, it could become one of the best Resident Evil games.

7. Resident Evil (1996) (y)(y)(y) - Contrary to what I was told before playing this for the first time in 2020, this game still holds up and is not unplayable at all. Take away the cheesy dialogue, and the actual story and gameplay of the OG Resident Evil is just as good as you'd imagine it to be. It deserves our respect for kicking off not only this series, but 90's survival horror as a whole. Without this game there wouldn't be any Silent Hill either.

8. Resident Evil Zero (2002) (y)(y) - I've said it before, but Zero massively fails as a prequel to RE1 by omitting Bravo team from the plot. It focuses on the wrong stuff, adds content and storylines that ask more questions then they answer. It's not a bad game per se, but it just doesn't fit within the timeline.

9. Resident Evil 4 (2005) (y)(y) - RE4 is a wild ride, it's incredibly addictive with its adrenaline-filled action and over the top setting and characters. I had a lot of fun playing it, and it made me understand how much of an influence RE4 has had on the gaming market with everything from its revolutionary over-the-shoulder perspective and the infamous cabin scene. It is undoubtedly considered to be one of the greatest video games of all time, and I can totally understand why. But for me, this is when the RE series jumped the shark. There is simply too much overreliance on action and too little emphasis on horror, and the characters act and talk in a way that almost makes it seem like a parody of Resident Evil - its very arcadey-like. Leon jumps like Neo from The Matrix. Actually Code Veronica deserves some of this blame as well, but I think RE4 had a greater impact in terms of what Capcom would decide to do in later games like RE5 and RE6.

10. Resident Evil: Outbreak (2003) (y) - This game is a mess to play in offline mode, and its not very enjoyable. Interesting on paper, but not very well executed. I do think some of the lore in this game is fascinating though, and it was nice to see the Raccoon City incident from the eyes of more citizens.

11. Resident Evil 7 (2017) (y) - RE7 is the black sheep of the series to me. It is a game deeply rooted in supernatural horror, which is not what Resident Evil was originally about. Hence, this game can NEVER be considered a "return to its roots". It's not a Resident Evil game just because it takes place in a residence that's full of evil, duh. Unfortunately, the mainstream success of this game is the reason why RE8 looks the way it does.

12. Resident Evil 5 (2009) (n) - While I feel the lore surrounding this game is a huge step up from RE4 by introducing the origins of the Progenitor viruses as well as showing Oswall E. Spencer for the first time, it wasn't enough to take away the action-filled gameplay and lack of true horror. It's a shame, because I see so much potential in this game's story.

13. Resident Evil 3 (2020) (n) - Worst "remake" of all time. Never in my whole life have I been more disappointed in a game. Capcom should be ashamed for rushing through this product. Almost everything from the original is either changed or omitted except for some basic plot points, that is then restructured into a 3 hour long action-filled movie sequence. Nemesis is no longer a pursuer, but a prop.

14. Resident Evil: Revelations (2012) (n) - Pure trash.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That is definitely a different list from most people, but I like your reasoning for your picks. I imagine that if you played a lot of the series within a short span, games like Revelations seem cheaper and wacky. But it was a Nintendo DS game first (which blows my mind) which is why I appreciate it. But I do agree it is not one of the best titles, especially when Revelations 2 was actually a GREAT game.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The story is uninspiring, boring and feels like terrible fan-fiction. It also neither plays nor looks good with its cheap looking levels that look like they were made in 2002. I guess that’s the problem with handheld games that are ported to big consoles - it’s near impossible for them to age well. It felt too linear, like something you’d play at the arcade, each time I died I was almost expecting to see a ”Please insert 1 coin to continue” sign. Yeah, that is harsh, I know, but not undeserved.

That is definitely a different list from most people, but I like your reasoning for your picks. I imagine that if you played a lot of the series within a short span, games like Revelations seem cheaper and wacky. But it was a Nintendo DS game first (which blows my mind) which is why I appreciate it. But I do agree it is not one of the best titles, especially when Revelations 2 was actually a GREAT game.
I appreciate you reading my thoughts on it. Even though I clearly have a bias against the more action-filled RE era, Revelations 1 just hasn’t aged well. That’s why I can still enjoy playing an action game like RE4 because it HAS aged well.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I definitely see your points and I think they're valid. I agree with that statement for the most part. I feel like I would've appreciated Revelations more if I played it on the 3DS, but there is a lot that I think it gets wrong: Quint and Keith are comedic points in the story that doesn't need it, the constant scanning for items and of enemies is fun for a bit, but it gets old fast, and every non main story segment only concentrates on one enemy type which is weird. But I do like the setting (despite yet ANOTHER ship).

I think it is almost time for me to reevaluate my own list and see if my feelings have changed after playing through 4, 5, and 6 again this year.

D

Deleted member 21244

I definitely see your points and I think they're valid. I agree with that statement for the most part. I feel like I would've appreciated Revelations more if I played it on the 3DS, but there is a lot that I think it gets wrong: Quint and Keith are comedic points in the story that doesn't need it, the constant scanning for items and of enemies is fun for a bit, but it gets old fast, and every non main story segment only concentrates on one enemy type which is weird. But I do like the setting (despite yet ANOTHER ship).

I think it is almost time for me to reevaluate my own list and see if my feelings have changed after playing through 4, 5, and 6 again this year.
Yeah i played revelations on day one on 3ds and it was a totally different experience from playing it on ps3
For a 3ds game the graphic was actually one of the best, and there was all the excitement and hype for having the first resident evil game on a portable console whit all the unique features

The ps3 is just an ok port but that miss all the unique features from the 3ds, like the 3ds second screen that completely change the experience... You were able to manage you're inventory Whit that, you also have to solve puzzle whit the touch screen, ans you also have to open some door by putting you're finger print on them and it was done whit the touch too.. Also in the last level you have to open doors whit the flash by using the touch again...

All this is missing from the console port, all the things that were done whit the touch are now done by simply pressing a button, making them pointless and boring... And graphic dosent look good on a 1080p TV or monitor because it was meant to be seen on 240p screen (the 3ds main screen)

As for the story, i think it was OK, not actually great, but it had a lot of good moments and some good character moment too, It was what it was in the end, a spin off and they decided to go whit the detective mistery story, something different from the series...

It was a good solid game for 3ds but the console port make it look like a low quality spin off

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Murrdogg - That is one of the most unique rankings of anyone I have seen. RE3 REmake is ranked really high as well as RE0. Do you have a defense for these positions? (Not that you need one, this is totally subjective, lol)

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@UniqTeas I personally can't speak for @Murrdogg93 however RE3R wasn't a bad game by a longshot.

Was it too short? Yes but so was the original.

Could they have added some things and fleshed out the story a bit? Sure and I wish they had.

RE3 has always been considered a weaker title by the general RE public and usually a lot of people's "least fav" out of the classics along with CV, which is honestly why all the complaints about sticking to the original more closely absolutely floored me! So many people complain about the game from the length to it being uninspired sitting between the complexities of RE2 and CV. They changed some things for the remake and it still wasn't good enough. You really can't make everyone happy.

I wouldn't presume that everyone hated RE3R just from the loud protestors. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and think the remake gave it more replayability.

Zero also has its own little following of fans.

I know that you don't mean it the way it sounded but asking someone for a defense of their position, even with your disclaimer, infers that their opinion is wrong in some way. I might change my wording next time.♥️

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I hear that. Since I know how I mean it in my head, I don't ever reconsider what I am typing. I will try to be more clear with my next couple of posts. =)

I very much enjoyed RE3R myself. I had a lot of fun with it and even got the Platinum. And my criticism is not that it's just short. It's just underwhelming to me that they didn't want to show off more of the city. That was the big excitement for me and it let me down there. I think RE3R is a good game, but I haven't seen anyone put it in their top 3 which was interesting. I am glad people enjoyed it so much because Capcom clearly designed a good game. But I much prefer the original. It has so much more to see and do and experience. But we all have our unique opinions and I appreciate that.

Top Bottom