• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's everybody playing?

Ikawaru

Elden Ring.

It's like a combination of Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild. It is quite good! I could sink months into this if I had the time. Playing as a Samurai who specializes in Katanas and longbows, regularly hunts animals and birds to craft bone arrows and do lots of exploration and discoveries. World is massive and challenging, probably significantly harder than Breath of the Wild (I've never played it) so tread cautiously because it is quite tough especially at the beginning.

RedfieldFanboi

Currently I'm playing Revelations 2 raid mode pretty obsessively. I've been jumping around lately, between RE5, RE6, CVX, REmake, and Revelations 2.

ZSTROUD03

Currently I'm playing Revelations 2 raid mode pretty obsessively. I've been jumping around lately, between RE5, RE6, CVX, REmake, and Revelations 2.
Been playing a lot of Re 2 remake and Re6 been also looking for a partner to play coop modes with (re 6. Revelations 2) what platform are you on?

D

Deleted member 22385

Just spent my 120th hour on Resident Evil 6 for the Nintendo (TM) Switch entertainment video game console released in 2017.

Frag Maniac

Not long ago I played and thoroughly enjoyed Days Gone. More recently Halo Infinite and God of War 2018. I also just finished another playthrough of Terminator Resistance on Extreme, this time with the 5 hr Annihilation Line mini campaign DLC as well, which picks up just after you capture the Infiltrator.

Days Gone is simply put one of the best horror games I've ever played. I got a lot out of it, with many playthroughs, ending with a run on Survival II, the hardest mode, with the Massive Hordes mod, and without sleeping or fast traveling. The combination of Survival II, with Massive Hordes, and not sleeping or fast traveling, means you're often riding the bike through dark, foggy forests, and cluttered tunnels, not knowing if a freak will pounce on you and knock you off your ride. I'm not one that's easily scared in horror games, but it gave me chills hearing the screams of freaks as dim moonlight was flickering through the trees riding in those foggy forests at night. The echoes of the freaks in the tunnels at night, or worse yet, dead silence, put me on edge just as much. This is also a game with an excellent story and characters, and superb voice acting, so it's a bit of a diamond in the rough in this genre.

Halo Infinite is in my honest opinion, bar none, THE best Halo game of all time, and I've played every one you can on PC, and enjoyed them all. You can play it with all upgrades and become like a superhero, as the shock punch you can do when the Grappleshot is completely upgraded makes you look and feel like a cross between Batman and Superman. You can also, if skilled enough at using it, pull off continuous grapples to access otherwise unreachable areas, and even skip past many enemies. On my final playthrough however I played on Legendary with no upgrades, using just the Grappleshot tool wise. It becomes quite a different game when you have no shield upgrades, threat sensor, drop wall shield, or thruster dodges to rely on. Every Elite Hunter, Warmaster, and Hammer wielding Chieftain suddenly becomes an ominous threat. I can't wait until the next Halo, I really love this new formula.

God of War 2018 is again, IMHO easily the best game in the series to date. It's not surprising it outsold GoW 1.2 and 3 combined by a million. The story, characters, and voice acting here as well are all superb, and the graphics, game world and creatures equally so. To be honest, I struggle a bit with games that require well timed blocks and dodges, as well as expertly landed combos, especially on anything above default difficulty mode. At 64, I lack the reflexes and dexterity I once had to do well at that, and it certainly doesn't help that on keyboard, you have to double tap Space to dodge (I suck with gamepads). I still thoroughly enjoyed it though, and have come damn close to beating it 100% on the default mode, save for just the Valkyrie Queen. I really think I just need to be more patient with her, but so far I've only been able to take her down to 1/3 her health left.

Terminator Resistance is easily the best Terminator game ever made, and the Annihilation Line DLC is very good as well. Even with a file edit to improve graphics (which helps immensely), it is still nowhere near the graphics quality of the other games mentioned, but for any fan of Terminator, it's well worth playing. They also patched the AI to be more challenging, and it's definitely noticeable. The Terminators now react to fallen comrades, are more persistent at tracking and searching for you, and even Hunter Killers spot you more easily. This made playing it for the 3rd time on Extreme as if I were playing that mode for the first time. The Annihilation line puts you on a mission from John Connor himself to assist in the investigation of Northridge Outpost, a civilian settlement which has mysteriously gone silent. This is definitely darker content than the base game, and has less resources, especially upgrade circuits.

Future wise, it's a bit of a mixed bag for these titles. It's hard to say if Sony will ever greenlight a Days Gone 2, despite the online petition for it reaching nearly 165,000 signatures so far. In contrast, Halo Infinite seems to be a base for some time for the Halo series, so I expect more content using that formula. Sony are also tasking Santa Monica Studio to make God of War Ragnarok, which picks up after God of War 2018. Teyon are now working on a Robocop game called Robocop Rogue City though, so I'm not sure they'll do anymore content for Terminator. If they did it would probably have to follow one or more of the other films, as they've already pretty much used everything they can from the first 2 films, and the rest weren't as popular, so.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Days Gone is simply put one of the best horror games I've ever played. I got a lot out of it, with many playthroughs, ending with a run on Survival II, the hardest mode, with the Massive Hordes mod, and without sleeping or fast traveling. The combination of Survival II, with Massive Hordes, and not sleeping or fast traveling, means you're often riding the bike through dark, foggy forests, and cluttered tunnels, not knowing if a freak will pounce on you and knock you off your ride. I'm not one that's easily scared in horror games, but it gave me chills hearing the screams of freaks as dim moonlight was flickering through the trees riding in those foggy forests at night. The echoes of the freaks in the tunnels at night, or worse yet, dead silence, put me on edge just as much. This is also a game with an excellent story and characters, and superb voice acting, so it's a bit of a diamond in the rough in this genre.

This does look pretty badass I'll have to try it out once I'm burned out from Elden Ring. Just can't get enough zombies, regardless of what smug people say about too many zombie games on the market. ;)

Frag Maniac

This does look pretty badass I'll have to try it out once I'm burned out from Elden Ring. Just can't get enough zombies, regardless of what smug people say about too many zombie games on the market. ;)
It's probably the most unique so called zombie game I've ever played though, so it definitely doesn't feel like the same old thing. To quote the devs, "It's not a zombie game". This is true for more than one reason, what made the enemies "freaks", which is detailed by missions you do, and the fact that it doesn't really have a typical zombie type story.

With the cliff hanger ending, which is very well done, Sony has an excellent opportunity to continue it.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
My man bought us Animal Crossing New Horizons. The details of the museum are what really sold me and now we’re addicted lol

Dr. Cheesesteak

I have a lot of games sort of in my rotation... I'll try to consider anything I've really sat and played for longer than 30 mins in the past week or so...:

- Dark Souls 3
- Resident Evil 2 (2019)
- Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
- Ghostwire: Tokyo
- Forgive Me Father
- Norco
- SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamesh
- Heroes of the Storm

Frag Maniac

I'm finally having a go at the entire Halo The Master Chief Collection, this time on Legendary. I've been putting it off for some time after having beaten all of them on Heroic. So far I've beaten Combat Evolved Anniversary on Legendary, as well as the first 4 missions of Halo 2 Anniversary.

Halo 2 is one that can easily be exploited with a lot of shortcuts, some of which make enemies not spawn, or render you invulnerable, but I'm playing it with all the intended combat with no shortcuts and without exploiting glitches.

Getting through the tunnels at the end of the Outskirts mission in Halo 2 was rather tough. My Ghost got damaged pretty badly and I had to abandon it for fear of an Elite in another Ghost blowing it up and killing me. I somehow managed to rob one of their Ghosts so I could continue on though. I barely managed to keep the Scorpion tank operable across the entire bridge at the start of the Metropolis mission, as well as in the tunnel afterward as far as it can be driven, killing everyone with it along the way.

Next is Oracle though, and without shortcuts or glitches, it's pretty tough.

RipvanX

Going to start chipping at the PS4 versions of Rev1, RE5, and RE6. I did them back on PS3 a decade ago so they will feel like fresh experiences.

Ikawaru

Going to start chipping at the PS4 versions of Rev1, RE5, and RE6. I did them back on PS3 a decade ago so they will feel like fresh experiences.

I did the same thing almost and played Rev1 for the first time and found the gameplay to be a bit dull but the story was pretty good for lore purposes. RE5 and 6 though did not age well to me though RE5 in particular wasn't nearly as fun as I remember it and seemed kinda linear action. Perhaps RE2R killed the retrospect factor and everyone's mileage may vary but I cannot say that these games aged well, even REV2 was kind of a shocking disappointment because I do remember enjoying it when it was released for the first time but 2022 playthrough didn't have many unique qualities to it. Claire's and Moira's alternative outfits were the best thing about it on the replay unfortunately. I hope your experience is better though, as I'm now thoroughly convinced that RE0 was the last great RE until Not a Hero and REmake2, where's before I was more open minded.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I've actually been playing Revelations again recently. Almost done with my second playthrough on Switch and while I can definitely see how it didn't translate too well on consoles, I've actually been really enjoying playing it in handheld mode which also takes advantage of some of the touchscreen controls the 3DS version had. I think it even has motion controls like Resident Evil 4 on Wii when docked, which is a definite plus over all the other versions.

After replaying it though, I can definitely see all the ways in which the game falls short for many and I'd agree with all of it, but I also understand why the game is the way it is after having originally played it on 3DS, where it felt like a unique and special experience. With that in mind, I can still enjoy the game, but after REmake 2, I just can't help but wish the game was remade for consoles because it really did do some cool things the game doesn't really get any credit for and there's so much good about the game already that would just work if it was redone in the RE Engine and played like Resident Evil 2 and 3.

I'm debating starting Revelations 2 on Switch though. I really liked this game when it originally came out, but I've kinda burned myself out on it after first playing it on 360 and having accomplished so much only to give up on the timed playthrough due to its poor optimization that made time run before it was done loading. I could have restarted and just got to that point again with better time, but I was too frustrated to care anymore and ended up buying it again for the Xbox One where it had none of the previous gen's issues.

While it was a much smoother and enjoyable experience, I just didn't have it in me to replay the game as many times as I did on 360 already and so I kinda left it unfinished with the intention of getting the rest of the achievements and unlockables some other time. But it's been so long and now I have it on Switch too that I'd kinda like to just start from scratch, but then I feel like I'd feel compelled to unlock everything which I'd rather do on Xbox. I'll figure it out, but it is amazing to think back on Revelations 2 and see just how much it was doing for the series and as a budget video game title compared to what Capcom gives us these days.

Reactions: Jen

RipvanX

I failed to mention I am a trophy hunter so that means I need to play some games twice like Revelations 2 on PS3 and Vita since they have separate lists. The absolute worst is Umbrella Corps though, I feel like dying everytime I fire it up and it’s a 60 hour long grind to platinum. Even the boosting group I found is starting to bail and not want to play.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Decided to start Revelations 2 on Switch afterall and have been a little disappointed at the quality. I definitely didn't expect this port to be downgraded in any major way from the Xbox One and PS4 versions, yet I was immediately reminded of my experience with the 360 port with its atrocious load times and muddy visuals which caught me off guard as I've only ever seen people praise the motion controls when talking about these ports, but never mention any of its oddities.

And this definitely seems to be quite a unique port as it doesn't suffer from the horrible framerate drops the 360 version did whenever you'd enter through certain areas. Though framerate is still quite unstable and very noticeable at times but it never slows down quite like the 360. The most I've experienced are quick frame freezes that last about a second and are very infrequent and jittery animations. But my biggest gripe with the game's presentation overall is the reduced draw distance which becomes apparent whenever you're anywhere outside with grass as you'll constantly see grass textures popping in and out which I don't even recall being an issue in the 360 port.

I tried playing in docked mode to give the motion controls a try, and that's when the poor presentation really started to bother me as it was an obvious downgrade from the Xbox One, but going back to handheld mode actually made me appreciate the port as a handheld experience as I noticed the game runs quite consistently in handheld mode which is most likely due to the decreased resolution, and it's been getting the job done for me. It's still an inferior port all things considered, but as a handheld experience, it's more than adequate and quite fitting for this game in general. I've also noticed the motion controls aren't strictly limited to playing docked as the game also has gyro aiming in handheld mode which I've left enabled and been getting lots of use out of. I actually regret not going this route during my Revelations 1 playthroughs as it's definitely a major leg up over the other versions of the games.

Ikawaru

Rumors that the next Nintendo device coming in 2024, hopefully it remains handheld and upgrades resolution to 1080p (No reason not to! Switch has been a major commercial success in contrast to Wii U so they have the funds to upgrade) I may just contemplate snagging one. I haven't owned a handheld device since....Gameboy Advance.

I am playing Chernobylite. It's a 1st person survival horror Polish game but with Russian and Soviet themes, and comes with all the cliche stereotypes of it as the dialogue certainly strives to be as Russian as humanly possible. The plot is to find your long lost wife, which isn't bad, but when her ghost or spirit appears in every single cutscene and loading screen with gushy dialogue it does kind of get annoying after a while but not overtly. Reminds me of Fallout 4 and STALKER (but without the seamless open world, the gameworld comes in segments or "zones") and it copies F4 almost to a T as far as building stuff in your base. It doesn't really take too long to build everything you need with all the upgrades because I already have a fully upgraded shotgun and good body armor and can 1 shot baddies even at medium range and also every single other device at my base that helps you between missions.

Gameplay is not too bad but it does feel a bit linear; you do a mission (and assign teammates with missions with a success rate), return to base, build/upgrade what you need, upgrade skills from teammates, rest in your room, wake up with a voice on you com radio which provides another mission. Rinse and repeat. Your ultimate objective is to assemble a team of 5 people and storm the main Chernobyl plant and rescue your wife so you spend much of the game doing a bunch of missions that eventually lead to recruiting more characters. Many of them are optional so if you don't like a particular one you can tell them to pound sand and wait until another one you like comes. Highly recommended to invest in lockpicks (build a station in your base that makes them) and Chernobylite burners because they unlock valuable items in each 'Zone'. Combat is cliche 1st person shooter and stealth-lite so no need to divulge here too much, just upgrade your favorite weapon and go to town, works for me.

Overall I am enjoying it, it has flaws and feels a bit shallow and copycat (F4 and STALKER) at times, it's a small developer studio after all, but it has enough content and optional decisions that affect the outcome to warrant maybe 2 or 3 playthroughs, the visuals certainly look good and STALKER-ish and the controls are smooth and not ruggedly PC-centric like STALKER was all those years ago. So yeah, if you liked Fallout 4 and Stalker, or you just want some good eastern European charm and style, or just want a good horror survival/shooter game, definitely give it a whirl.

Last edited:

Frag Maniac

Rumors that the next Nintendo device coming in 2024, hopefully it remains handheld and upgrades resolution to 1080p (No reason not to! Switch has been a major commercial success in contrast to Wii U so they have the funds to upgrade) I may just contemplate snagging one. I haven't owned a handheld device since....Gameboy Advance.

I am playing Chernobylite. It's a 1st person survival horror Polish game but with Russian and Soviet themes, and comes with all the cliche stereotypes of it as the dialogue certainly strives to be as Russian as humanly possible. The plot is to find your long lost wife, which isn't bad, but when her ghost or spirit appears in every single cutscene and loading screen with gushy dialogue it does kind of get annoying after a while but not overtly. Reminds me of Fallout 4 and STALKER (but without the seamless open world, the gameworld comes in segments or "zones") and it copies F4 almost to a T as far as building stuff in your base. It doesn't really take too long to build everything you need with all the upgrades because I already have a fully upgraded shotgun and good body armor and can 1 shot baddies even at medium range and also every single other device at my base that helps you between missions.

Gameplay is not too bad but it does feel a bit linear; you do a mission (and assign teammates with missions with a success rate), return to base, build/upgrade what you need, upgrade skills from teammates, rest in your room, wake up with a voice on you com radio which provides another mission. Rinse and repeat. Your ultimate objective is to assemble a team of 5 people and storm the main Chernobyl plant and rescue your wife so you spend much of the game doing a bunch of missions that eventually lead to recruiting more characters. Many of them are optional so if you don't like a particular one you can tell them to pound sand and wait until another one you like comes. Highly recommended to invest in lockpicks (build a station in your base that makes them) and Chernobylite burners because they unlock valuable items in each 'Zone'. Combat is cliche 1st person shooter and stealth-lite so no need to divulge here too much, just upgrade your favorite weapon and go to town, works for me.

Overall I am enjoying it, it haws flaws and feels a bit shallow and copycat (F4 and STALKER) at times, it's a small developer studio after all, but it has enough content and optional decisions that affect the outcome to warrant maybe 2 or 3 playthroughs, the visuals certainly look good and STALKER-ish and the controls are smooth and not ruggedly PC-centric like STALKER was all those years ago. So yeah, if you liked Fallout 4 and Stalker, or you just want some good eastern European charm and style, or just want a good horror survival/shooter game, definitely give it a whirl.

Sounds good, I actually haven't gotten around to playing it yet, as I decided after beating the first 2 of the Halo Master Chief Collection games on Legendary that I'd jump into Halo 3. I forgot though how hard some of the missions are in it. It seems I shot myself in the foot a bit not protecting my Marines well enough. Last mission where it really gets tough in Tsavo Highway though, I managed to just skip a hard battle by just sneaking past them somehow and survived. The Ark mission I'm on now though seems impossible to do that, so I may have to restart the whole mission if I can't manage via equipping two of my Marines with a rocket launcher and sniper rifle each. Ideally I'd like to do that with each sitting as passengers on a Prowler, but since I only have 2 Marines left, one will always take the turret instead, which isn't as quick at killing or destroying vehicles.

Yeah the base building in Chernobylite when I saw it looked a bit like that of Fallout 4, which was a fun part of that game for me. I assume however it's not nearly as elaborate and limits you to various upgrades, vs full on building of structures or turret defense systems. Sounds like you're breezing through pretty fast, but from the comments I've read about gameplay, I assume you're on no more than default difficulty? Most say it can get very challenging to play depending on what difficulty you choose.

So I've read side missions are only available for so long, but is there any warning which ones you'll miss if you continue on, or can you at least revert to a save to do them if you missed any? I think I also read your allies can get killed or leave you for various reasons if you don't keep them happy. Have you had that happen, or is it pretty easy to keep them? This is one of my main concerns, and why I said earlier I was hoping there isn't a lot of micromanaging. It's because I plan to progress to harder difficulty modes.

Top Bottom