• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What would you leave the series?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
I've already left the series once.
After RE6, my faith in Resident Evil faded, I didn't even play Revelations 2 back then, it wasn't entirely due to Resident Evil alone, it was mostly Capcom's terrible decisions back then that were pushing me away, namely the DmC reboot that REALLY grinded my gears.
The only thing that stopped me from cutting Resident Evil loose entirely was a little video uploaded to YT that had the famous words "We Do It!".
Though throughout 2015 to 2018, I like a lot of other people forgot that was happening.

After RE7 was revealed to be first person and the previews showed a more supernatural direction, that was it for me, I was out, I wasn't even willing to give the game a chance, it wasn't until I came across a playthrough on YT and saw the first few hours that I decided to give it a chance.
I ended up really liking the game and my faith in Resident Evil was rekindled, then REmake 2 and Devil May Cry 5 happened and my faith in Capcom was restored.

The leaks for RE8 are concerning, but I don't know if I'll cut the series loose again.
This is sounding like a RE7 marketing situation again where the previews are making it look as "NOT Resident Evil" as possible only for the final game to end up being true Resident Evil.
Thing is Resident Evil NEEDS to have some good new main characters to carry the franchise onwards, Leon, Chris, Jill, Claire and Ada can't be around forever.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Thing is Resident Evil NEEDS to have some good new main characters to carry the franchise onwards, Leon, Chris, Jill, Claire and Ada can't be around forever.
Agreed. They should really have the next main installments be about the older generation of characters passing the torch down to the next generation of younger characters. But they must do it in a worthy fashion, and not something unworthy like the Star Wars sequel trilogy.

I think Revelations 2 is the best (and only) game in the series to utilize this so far, with both Barry and Claire acting as the older characters passing the torch to Moira.

For example, I'd welcome a game where a white-haired Chris Redfield is teaching a young rookie how to deal with a biohazard outbreak.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
After RE7 was revealed to be first person and the previews showed a more supernatural direction, that was it for me, I was out, I wasn't even willing to give the game a chance, it wasn't until I came across a playthrough on YT and saw the first few hours that I decided to give it a chance.
I ended up really liking the game and my faith in Resident Evil was rekindled, then REmake 2 and Devil May Cry 5 happened and my faith in Capcom was restored.

Same. After RE6, my expectations were low. And then the first person reveal had me really hating on the series. But I decided to try out RE7 anyway because The Baker Family promos were really creepy. I ended up loving the game and Capcom has been on a roll since!

For example, I'd welcome a game where a white-haired Chris Redfield is teaching a young rookie how to deal with a biohazard outbreak.

Sign me up immediately. Too bad Piers is gone. He would have been a fine addition for future installments.

Aurelius

I've already made a few disappearing acts over the years . First disappearance started with RE4. For the longest time, I couldn't get over how drastically the series changed but gradually accepted it. My cousin was the one who hooked me and pulled me back into the series after begging me to play RE5 with him. I became quite addicted to 5 and only played a little bit of 6 before disappearing, this time out of boredom rather than hatred. Reappeared when RE7 came out though and have been all hands on deck with all these remakes that are coming out. Looks like I may have to shake the dust off my copy of RE4 that I bought a few years back and actually play it... for the very first time! Might as well give RE6 a go to while I'm at it...

Last edited:

Soul Fist

Hmmmm nothing, I can't leave the series. It's like you stop being related to your family LOL.

No matter how bad RE series will get, I can't leave. There are a lot of flaws like RE5, RE6 and RE3 Remake. But IDK I feel like I have to buy them and see XD

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I feel that Soul Fist! As I said earlier, I don't know what they could do to drop me as a fan.

RE6 is one of my least liked games in the franchise, but I saw it on sale and now own it on PS4 too!

Soul Fist

I feel that Soul Fist! As I said earlier, I don't know what they could do to drop me as a fan.

RE6 is one of my least liked games in the franchise, but I saw it on sale and now own it on PS4 too!

See? That's the point! I also had RE6 on ps3 but bought it again on ps4 and even earned the platinum XD

Even when there were all new characters in RE7 I still loved it and thought the game is a masterpiece.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think you and I will get along just fine Soul Fist. Just fine. haha.

But yeah, even the worst RE experiences are generally miles better than the competition (I have never played ORC, so I can't judge it. Capcom knows how to create a game for better or for worse and it only really becomes an issue when they become too formulaic/ lack creativity or when they just don't connect with the fans and history of the franchise.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I don't think I would leave the series. I enjoy the games too much, I love most of the characters. Hopefully Re8 gives ethan the chance to actually have some personality, he was incredibly dull in re7.

D

Deleted member 21244

I can confidently say that Tank controls are gone from the RE history. But it might be really fun to have them add Tank Controls as a bonus option for the games!
I can confirm that tank control are out of the videogame history ahaahahaha

D

Deleted member 21244

Imagine if we got tank controls AND First Person play - it would be HORRIBLE to navigate!
Oh my god lol i remember when ps1 game had this, tank control in first person, because analog stick weren't a thing

I remember medal of honor playing like that

TheBigUmbrella

I feel like to get me to leave RE would have to completely become a different franchise. Not like in the RE5/6 being action games sense because even then they went for visual horror. It'd have to be something radical with no connections to what came before...

Mr.R

I can confirm that tank control are out of the videogame history ahaahahaha

That's true, although there are a some indie-horror titles with tank control these days (Like Alisa: The Awakening, a title in development. They have a free demo). I think it's cool and charming, but I don't want this type of thing in a AAA game again, but it's like to see the indie devs preserving some of those controls.

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
1) Reboot the series
2) Decanonize any entry that’s not a remake other than the REmake of the original
3) Make all the base biohazards connected (Progenitor Virus, Las Plagas, and Mold all related somehow)
4) Reveal that Nicolae really is alive (supplemental material given outside the games that is never followed up on within the games is not canon, no matter who says it)
5) Go supernatural, rather than superscience

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
Sadly, this has already been done. There is little left of what was once a series about a biological hazard.
Not really. Everything that has happened up to this point in the series has been superscience. Yeah, it’s gone beyond the realm of stretched plausibility found in the first 3 games into flat-out impossibility, but it is still all due to biological factors. Alexia’s combustion, Marcus’s control over his leeches, Saddler’s control over Las Plagas, Eveline’s control over all Mold-based organisms, Morpheus’s sex change, Jack Norman’s “teleport” illusions, Alex Wesker’s mind transfer, C-virus powers; all of these things are traced back to alterations of body chemistry due to the three base biohazard substances.

My concern as far as this making me leave the series, is if they step beyond this and make the horror aspects come from demons and curses and dark magic and stuff like that. Every time the series begins moving in a particular direction, it’s always fuzzy at first on whether it’s biological horror or not. The very first game, when played for the very first time with no knowledge of series lore (also applies to the REmake), you may think at first that the mansion is haunted and the zombies are corpses raised from the dead due to supernatural causes and that the other monsters are demonic entities, until you find out what’s going on.

Same thing happened with 4, when it was announced Umbrella was gone and there would be no zombies and that a cult was involved. Was some kind of demonic possession the new threat? And then when you learn about the parasites, might it even be an alien invasion, like Leon joked? Still biological, but no longer about undiscovered natural horrors found in modern times and corrupted by science? Fortunately, it turned out that’s what it was after all, keeping the series consistency.

The trailers and demos for 7 made it seem like it might finally be going supernatural, with the creepy mannequins, Jack Baker disappearing in seconds around a corner, things moving or falling over in the house, etc. Then you find out about the Mold, Eveline, her mind control and illusions, hallucinations caused by the Mold, etc., and it comes back to bio-horror.

I'm slightly concerned about Village finally going over the line, but at this point I don’t think they’ll commit to it. It’s supposed to honor gothic-style horror while still being based on genetic manipulation as the cause. Witches and werewolves don’t really sound like mad scientist stuff, but the details revealed so far mention hallucinations, so any magic-looking stuff is probably that and the werewolves are probably solely virus-based like the Underworld movies.

As long as Resident Evil doesn’t become about actual Devil worshipers who actually convince the Devil to physically transform people into monsters, making it supernaturally-based bio-horror, I’m good with it. Plus those other 4 things i mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom