• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What would you leave the series?

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
@Teen Tyrant I don't even know what "superscience" means, to be honest it just sounds like an attempt to defend the series modern trend of moving away from sci-fi horror. The closest thing would be "psuedoscience", which is much more in line with what we've seen since RE0 and CVX, and most recently in RE7 with Eveline and her telekinetic abilities. There's a limit to how far you can stretch a concept before it becomes something else, and the RE series has definitely become psuedoscience by now.

I see what you mean with the inclusion of demonic entities, ghosts, devil worshipping and so on. And while its true that the series hasn't completely submitted to such concepts yet, ideas like cultism etc has been present in games like RE4 with Saddler and Salazar whom basically act like near-religious leaders.

Even if you play RE1 for the first time with no knowledge of the series, the revelation that what's going on in the mansion is the result of a biological experiment is one of the core aspects of the story, and what makes it so good. Honestly though, zombies are a pretty wide cultural phenomenon by now, a random person on the street will immidiately associate a zombie outbreak with biological experiments and not something supernatural. At the same time, the RE series has gradually moved away from actual zombies which should say something, too.

It's not that you can't explain everything with a virus, its just that it becomes ridiculous at some point. For instance, you can explain a witch being the result of a virus experiment as well; gene manipulation as a result of a new virus strain that gives the patient the ability to mind control, levitate, etc.

I usually like to make comparisons to Jurassic Park when I want to present a well-known example of sci-fi horror done right. Even though the idea of cloning dinosaurs may seem completely fantastic, it is not out of the realm of possiblity.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
There really isn't much. One of the reason that it's one of my favorite series is due to the fact it always reinvents itself and finds a way to always stay relevant. It adapts with gaming and grows with us as gamers. It isn't afraid to take bold risks to ensure this. Sometimes it has a few misses, but it always bounces back. There's been very few times I've actually been disappointed with the series and find myself really just reducing to "could have beens" that always ties back to a character or a plot point I want to see finished or developed. Yet the game design and game play always wins out in this franchise.

Top Bottom