• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What would you leave the series?

mert20004

Which resident evil related decision of capcom would make you leave the series?

Here are my picks:

If they completely rebooted the series. Self-explanatory.

If they made re6 ( or re4 and re5 ) non-canon. From what ı've seen, many people want these 3 games to be non-canon; ı hope this wont be the case cause ı love them a lot.

If they replaced re2 with re2 remake ( Basically change their minds since they said that re2 remake is a reimagining storywise. ) and made remakes in a way so that they replace the previous re games storywise.

If they decided to kill the main characters. Retire them in the worst case scenario but dont kill them.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I'm pretty sure nothing they could do would make me 'leave the series'.

As far as rebooting the series - they're basically already doing that with the reworkings of RE2 and RE3, the first of which I thoroughly enjoyed and have high hopes for RE3 even though I have a notorious dislike for the original. So, this isn't a deal breaker for me.

I literally couldn't care less about cannon. Resident Evil's Cannon is kinda shaky anyway from what I understand and at the end of the day it does jack for my enjoyment of the games. The universe is what you make it. Sure this and that may or may not be cannon but it's up to you to decide to accept it (or not) and just enjoy what you are experiencing (or not). I hated Resident Evil 4 but it doesn't bother me that it is cannon. Nor does it bother me that 5 and 6 are cannon.

The 'replacing RE2 with REmake2' is kinda explained in my first 2 points so I basically would consider this a moot point.

I'm used to characters dying as that's all my favorite characters do so I can't sympathize with this lol.

None of this goes to say that your opinions are invalid because they're not. All I'm saying is, even with the screw ups, Resident Evil isn't in my life because of the cannon. It's not in my life because of intricate plot details. I like to have Resident Evil around because it reminds of of the fun times I had being scared to death in the RPD as a young person with no bullets and danger status. It's there because, as flawed as it is, I do enjoy the convoluted, sometimes cheesy universe. At the end of the day it's all about being able to unwind after work by killing some cool enemies before something explodes.

D

Deleted member 21244

I don't think i will ever leave the series
Like rain says resident evil is my life, i grew up whit it, i played all the re game and i enjoyed it for better and for worse, i will never leave the series

Well maybe i will leave only if the series went full action and take place in the space, like some of the last call of duty game XD

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I'll be honest - after RE6, I left the series for a little while. I just felt like Capcom weren't listening to the fans at all. And when I saw RE7 was in first person, I was really mad at them. Luckily, when I got my PS4 and found that I could play Revelations 1 and 2 on the Playstation NOW, I jumped in head first and destroyed both games. Then, I decided to play RE7 and found there was a really great game in there even if I didn't love the first person perspective.

So - I mean, I am IN for now. I don't know what they could do more than they have to shake me from the series. haha

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
If they started making everything in first person, I'd be less tempted.
I literally wrote this 1 minute before finding out about the RE8 leak.

As interesting as the setting, castle, monsters and everything seem to be, if RE8 is completely in first person with Ethan again it will be a huge turnoff. At least make it playable in both first and third person - hey, it worked for GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2!

(And hopefully Ethan isn't the sole protagonist...)

D

Deleted member 21244

I literally wrote this 1 minute before finding out about the RE8 leak.

As interesting as the setting, castle, monsters and everything seem to be, if RE8 is completely in first person with Ethan again it will be a huge turnoff. At least make it playable in both first and third person - hey, it worked for GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2!

(And hopefully Ethan isn't the sole protagonist...)
Can work for an action game but can't work for an horror game if designed in way that first persone had to be crucial

I cant image alien isolation, outlast or re 7 in third person, it will not be the same experience
As i cant imagine re 4, 5 and re 2 remake in first person, they are made for third persone

D

Deleted member 21244

Which is funny because I'm really excited about the RE8 rumors lol. Not about Ethan per se, but just about everything else.
Yeah I'm totally exited too about it, not much about Ethan, but if they give him personality and nore background it could be fine... Even if i don't know why they should bring him back since his "mission" is over, he saved his wife, he can happily live his life now, why he should return in the middle of an outbreak?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I don't care if they reuse Ethan. But I don't think it is fair to say that their character arc is over after their initial game. Leon's story was over after RE2, but he came back to be a great character after a few years as well!

D

Deleted member 21244

I don't care if they reuse Ethan. But I don't think it is fair to say that their character arc is over after their initial game. Leon's story was over after RE2, but he came back to be a great character after a few years as well!
Leon was a cop, he had training and being in the action it's his work, and in the end of re 2 he say that he wanted to take down umbrella, so his story wasn't over at all, leon pretty much called for the sequel since he wanted to confront umbrella

Ethan on the other hans it's just a normal guy who find himself in the middle of the outbreak for trying to save his wife...
In the end he save his wife, defeated the baker and kept his promise to Zoe, I don't see the point of bringing him back

It's like my wife get lost i search her and i save her from the baker, after all this nightmare i will live an happy life since i am a normale person, i will never want to go back in action, I'm not a cop or a soldier, why should i return in the middle of an outbreak?

I can only image that in re 8 Ethan will go in vacation to Europe whit his wife and he got, again, involved in an outbreak XD
Poor guy he must be really unlucky

Mr.R

I'm more or less on the same terms as @Rain611 to be honest. I don't think I'll ever want to leave the series. Even when they had that Nintendo agreement that had Zero, Remake and 4 (initially) closed on the GC, I played CVX, Outbreak and Dead aim on my PS2 and the classics on my PS1, because I never owned a GC. Not even at that time I thought about leaving the series, even though I didn't had any way to play the newer games.

What might happens, if the RE8 leaks turns out to be true, is me not really hyping it much and not giving RE8 the same attention as the other games of the series. For example, I finished RE2 Remake more times than I finished RE7.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
The only way I could see myself even considering it is if they completely overhauled the gameplay such that all notably "RE mechanics" were gone, got rid of all their existing characters, AND whatever new game they came out with sucked in its own right. Without every one of those components they could easily sucker me out of my money for years to come.

Speaking of, if they stopped trying to get video game genre bingo with all their gd spinoffs I really wouldn't mind.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Depends on the definitions of "leave" and "series".

I'm never going to leave the franchise entirely, because even if I decided not to buy any more new RE games from now on, I would still play the old games every now and then. Right now I'm pessimistic about the future of the numbered main series, too early to tell of course, but if RE8 turns out anything like 7, I'll skip that one too. Still looking forward to remakes of the classics and a potential Revelations 3, though.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I'm just echoing what others have said above here, but I would never truly disregard this franchise.

However, I am a little saddened that for the first time ever, I'm genuinely considering boycotting a Resident Evil game. The leaks we've received from RE8 are really not what I want for the series. I guess it makes sense because I really disliked Resident Evil 7.

That being said, if those links are true, I will probably still play RE8 at some point. I'm just not sure that I'll buy it on release. Again, this is such a shame to me because I've adored this series from being six years old, through ups and downs. But things just keep going down, down down and I'm not... down with it. Haha.

Last edited:

Awebb

Whatever "leaving the series" means. If RE8 is a lot like RE7, then I won't buy it until I can grab it for a few bucks with all the addons. I'll also give future games a pass, if they continue to be so dark and gritty. The wonderful thing about RE was the series' ability to present a dense atmosphere in a totally bright and colorful environment. I already found the fifty shades of brown of the RE1 remake a step in a direction I didn't like, but the game was so awesome.

1995umk3

If capcom decided to erase "JILL VALENTINE" from the whole R.E universe I would leave capcom and for good. Nuff said... this ones too much to bare.

Even if there is still alot of people playing R.E after they make this change... without Jill Valentine it's not re!!

"Oh Barry!"

Top Bottom