• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 What happened to Chris' face?

Levan

Polkka. lol
BTW, I'm not talking about his current face, but instead, his face in one of the cutscenes.

Since somebody may probably have not reached or played Chapter 6-3 yet, I'll mark this as a spoiler.

Okay, here's the deal. In Chapter 6-3 with the Wesker vs Chris and Sheva scene, if you look closely, Chris looks weird in some of the close-ups. As in, it looked like Chris' face changed completely. I never really cared about this until just recently, and it could just be me, and I may be wrong and it is actually the same face, but it really bothered me a lot. :(

Here's a video, and I'm specifically speaking about his face on 1:11 and 2:37-2:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNM_58Kg_s

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Well I have also noticed what you are talking about, and I have seen it alot in RE5...not sure exactly what it is, but he does look different. But some if it is obviously as a result of his hair changing as well as getting some facial hair, just a rugged look, with some more muscles, it really goes to change alot.:)

I think on the whole it still looks pretty much like him, but there are a few scenes where he looks pretty unrecognizable...

Also, I have seen videos from that guy OmegaNemsis, he does alot of those in HD.:)

I think his face looks great especially in the scenes you were talking about. I believe him looking different is just a matter of his facial expressions. Certain facial expressions, even in real life, can make some people look really different.

For example, you ever seen someone who looks gorgeous when they're smile but when they mad or sad they look really ugly? Even though it's the same exact face the expressions can really make an impact on how someone looks.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
That is another thing it could be, and if you think about it, Chris really didn't show many different expressions before, there were a couple of times when I remembered him with a scowl, maybe once in REmake & once in UC, but I think all of those things combined could explain it.:)

Levan

Polkka. lol
Yeah, OmegaNemesis28 recorded everything including the cutscenes and gameplay(though not all of the gameplay). Before I got to play RE5, I watched his full RE5 gameplay(all 73 videos, with the cutscenes...), since I thought I was never going to play the game, but I was able to. :p

I've seen Chris a lot already in all of the cutscenes of RE5 especially at the close-ups, but the only time I saw that face I was pointing out was in that particular cutscene.

Never thought facial expressions could drastically affect Chris' face. D:

Actually the face I was pointing out was downright weird, he looks very different from the normal face he has in the whole game. It looks like there was a change in his ears like they've grown bigger, and I dunno but it felt like his face grew wider as well, which makes me feel like he's a bit fat.

I have noticed the slight hair change as well with those two close-ups from his normal hair in RE5, but I guess that's acceptable since he's in a fight(though not for Wesker, his hair stays perfect even though he's upside down on the ceiling, but meh its one factor that makes him so badass, lol). And the nose... definitely the nose had some change if you look closely enough. I think it was more flat or something in that close-up.

Oh yeah, and the facial hair changed as well when I took a look. Honestly Chris looked pretty dumb at those close-ups, or it could be just me. Did the developers get lazy or something with Chris' face when they were creating that scene?

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Well rough comparision, but Chris never really showed as much emotion, in terms of facial expressions, but here this is anyway.:)
Untitled.jpg

Jason-Voorhees

沉睡的巨龍
well some cutscenes are of greater detail than others, most games do this, if you look at the cutscenes of the RE CVX you might know what i mean

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I know what you mean, but it is more because some of the cutscenes are HQ, while others are just using the in game quality, like CVX or example, and this is also seen in REmake, and RE2, RE3, pretty much all, except for RE4, RE4 seemed to use the in game cutscenes all throughout...

I still think it's merely facial expressions. His nose looks different because it's scrunched up with the rest of the angry face he's making. His hair was different because like you said, he was in a fight, constant wind blowing in your face, even Wesker's hair fell apart a little bit and in the next scene it's perfect like he had one of those sample packets in his pocket.

At least in RE4 you can even see the cut on Leon's face during gameplay after the cutscene fight with Jack.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
It is actually alot of things in that specific scene, his facial expression, the changes in his appearance, and the lighting too.:) But I am sure it isn't too different, I mean they are using the same character model, so the only logical way it would look different at all would be expressions.:)

Levan

Polkka. lol
jpy36h.jpg

There are some differences... Especially his chin, it's clearly visible, lol.

But maybe it really is the facial expression after all. As for the cutscene, I think the quality doesn't really change at all in all cutscenes, except for the one after Excella's transformation(with all the dodging and running). It looks the same for me. But there could be exceptions, especially scenes with action buttons along with it.

In those pictures his head is also tilted at a different angle. Plus the shadowing in the righthand side pic makes his face look slimmer.

I wouldn't sweat it though, I happen to think Leon looks different on the RE4 case than he does in the actual game.

Hoady

Levan;45265 said:
jpy36h.jpg

There are some differences... Especially his chin, it's clearly visible, lol.

But maybe it really is the facial expression after all. As for the cutscene, I think the quality doesn't really change at all in all cutscenes, except for the one after Excella's transformation(with all the dodging and running). It looks the same for me. But there could be exceptions, especially scenes with action buttons along with it.

It looks like he suddenly aged 10 years LOL.When wesker touches you, you temporarily turn into an old man he is in his 50s after all.

Levan

Polkka. lol
It's probably due to the fact that the wrinkles on Chris' face is now visible in the left picture, which I'm guessing, is visible only when Chris has that facial expression. :p

Shoot Them InThe Head

The steroids he took increased his tesosterone levels and thats why he looks angry on the left... due to his man time of the month, the pic on the right displays his mood swings!:blink:

Hoady

Well his face does look more like a brick in the left picture, looks similar to sam fisher or something.:huh:

Shoot Them InThe Head;46887 said:
The steroids he took increased his tesosterone levels and thats why he looks angry on the left... due to his man time of the month, the pic on the right displays his mood swings!:blink:

LOL I like your analogy but are you implying chris has ovaries?:unsure:

wpstudart

Maybe it's just the animation that was made by that actors, they made this kind of expression, and it didn't look like chris, but they didn't care :p

teal27

Well, if I may venture my humble observation. . .

As an "arteest" I have spent a lot of time stuyding facial planes and expressions, muscles, blah blah blah. And when I look at those screenshots a few things come to mind:

1. Chris is hot.
2. The lighting in the comparison shots is very different. In the intro scene, Chris is bathed in light from all directions, because he is in full sunlight with very little shadow. The muscles in his jaw and the shadows around his chin won't be so promiment. Plus he is relaxed in that picture; no one is pointing a gun at his head, so the lines around his mouth won't be so promiment and his chin won't look quite so "squared". When we get angry, the skin on our face tightens; we clench our jaw, press our lips together while we fight to control ourselves. . .two things Chris did in the Wesker scene. Pretty accurate for Capcom to throw in those details, I gotta say!:D
3. Chris is a beefcake.
4. As someone else mentioned, his head is tilted at a different angle in the intro scene shot, but I can tell from looking at both shots that features analyzed (chin, nose) are in fact, the same. Foreshortening is taken into account because Chris is looking up in the intro scene shot, whereas he's sort of looking head-on in the Wesker scene.("APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE!!!"---eh, nevermind)
5. Chris is. . .well, you know. :D
6. Also concurring with some other peoples, and from my experience learning about facial muscles; Chris is clearly tense and angry in the Wesker scene (duh.). In the harsh over-head light of the jet, shadows are very blunt and facial lines are put into sharp relief. Thus we see a heavier brow due to shadows, more prominent lines around the mouth due to tension in the maxillary muscles, yadda yadda. If we could see his neck, I imagine the muscles there would have also been very tight and promiment, if the creators were going for accuracy, and thus very heavily shadowed.

*endartistramble*

Top Bottom