• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you Thinking? Resident Evil Edition!

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Alright, I finished the main campaign yesterday, and finally being able to play a decent port has indeed improved my opinion of the game. Until last week it was at the bottom of my list, now it has climbed a few ranks, overtaking Code Veronica and Zero.

So yeah, I don't dislike RE4 anymore, but I can't really say I like it either. It was a fun diversion that kept me busy for three days (and I'm not even done yet because I still have to finish Ada's scenarios), but nothing about the story and characters, the gameplay or the overall atmosphere really managed to captivate me like most of the other titles did, the clunky controls add a lot of fake difficulty, and on a more superficial note, looking at some of these textures really makes me wonder if they forgot about the "HD" part in the HD remaster.

hdprpim.jpg

(As you can see here, I already started one of Ada's scenarios, and so far I'm liking it better than the main campaign, but that might as well have something to do with my appreciation of her character.)

If I had to rate the game, I think I'd give it a 5/10 for the main campaign. Not bad, but not exactly good either, but it might even have been a 7 with better controls.

Speaking of Ada, who else would like her to be the main character in the next Revelations title? I just realised that Rev2's third birthday is right around the corner, and it was released three years after Rev1, so wouldn't now be a reasonable time to at least start talking about Rev3?

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I think RE4 does its best not to make the tank controls of the previous games feel unfair to the player. Enemies telegraph their attacks, have wind ups and cool downs, and they also stop running when they get close enough to the player. If they didn't and behaved like your typical third person shooter where you can strafe, sprint and reload while moving, you can bet that the game would be A LOT more needlessly difficult and unfair.

Speaking of unfair, Separate Ways suffers some pretty sh!t level design and boss battles towards the end.
Saddler took me forever my first time.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Separate Ways was the weakest part of the game for me. It just feels very bland compared to the main game and the cutscenes look like sh*t for some reason.

KevinStriker

Separate Ways was the weakest part of the game for me. It just feels very bland compared to the main game and the cutscenes look like sh*t for some reason.

Separate Ways was originally introduced on PS2, and as a result, they were turned into movies to preserve the graphical fidelity of the GameCube version which the PS2 could not replicate.
But I guess Capcom lost or straight up deleted the source files in a bout of shortsightedness. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Speaking of unfair, Separate Ways suffers some pretty sh!t level design and boss battles towards the end.
Saddler took me forever my first time.

I got rid of Saddler rather quickly (the trick is to keep all the QTE buttons pressed at all times while standing still and sniping at his head), but Krauser was a pain in the ass. Half of my deaths in Separate Ways were caused by him. Considering how easy I found this boss in Leon's campaign... Then again, he hadn't mutated yet.

Here we go, the people at Rely On Horror are still able to write good articles!
http://www.relyonhorror.com/articles/rehorror-dread-character-inconsistency/

Yes to everything they say here, and I'm looking forward to the second part.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Seeing the world record time speedrun of RE director's cut on advanced mode as Chris is mind blowing. wonder how on earth can people finish that game in under an hour. and that's on the PS1. on PC the world record is 36 mins.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
ATTENTION! Useless information incoming.

Even though RE6 passes the Bechdel test with flying colours, I once again noticed in my current playthrough that Sherry never actually talks to any of the other female characters here. She does acknowledge Helena when they meet in China, is saved by Ada shortly thereafter, and may know about Hunnigan, but doesn't say a word to either of them throughout the entire campaign.

Another character who sorely lacks interaction with females is Piers. Yes, he's present throughout all of Chris's confrontations with Carla, but rarely addresses her directly, completely ignores Helena at the warehouse, and the one talk he can possibly have with Sherry is only one of three optional conversations at that point. In some of these cases, I wonder if the characters even know each other's names.

And that's all for today. Now I'll go back to playing Jake's campaign on Professional (yes, I want to see if that unlocks anything), and hopefully I'll notice more of those little oddities that I can waste your time with later.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Lately I've been thinking of how cool it would have been had Capcom established Excella further. More specifically though I've been thinking of how fun it would be if she came from a mafia family. She is Italian after all! Could have been a fun take on the story and maybe put some heat on Wesker for betraying her.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
CT: Forget what I said about Rely On Horror still being able to write good articles. After reading the second part of their character analysis, I take everything back. (No, I'm not even going to put a link here, that's how bad it is. Search for it yourself if you want to ruin your day.)

I mean, opinions and all, but really... How can you stand there and claim that Helena doesn't have any personality or background, or that Piers and Jessica haven't done anything memorable, while at the same time praising Hunk of all people for being the best character in the franchise? How can you seriously condemn Simmons, Carla, Alex, and all the other villains from recent games to hell while justifying Wesker's ridiculous character derailment in RE5? I agree that most of the characters could have been handled better, but when I compare what they're criticising to what they're praising, it just doesn't make any sense. The only trap they didn't jump into was to praise RE7 for handling characters oh so much better, but if I read that last sentence right, there is at least a third part yet to come, so who knows, it might still happen.

Hopefully I won't be there to find out! So please, can someone tell me where to get affordable brain bleach so I can just forget about that site completely? Because it's like an ex I can't let go, it used to be cool, now it's all about ass-kissing everything that is RE7 and demonising everything that isn't, yet for some reason I still keep going back to it whenever I'm looking for news - something they don't even cover anymore without littering it with their own badly justified opinions. This has to stop!

BioLence

CT: Forget what I said about Rely On Horror still being able to write good articles. After reading the second part of their character analysis, I take everything back. (No, I'm not even going to put a link here, that's how bad it is. Search for it yourself if you want to ruin your day.)

I mean, opinions and all, but really... How can you stand there and claim that Helena doesn't have any personality or background, or that Piers and Jessica haven't done anything memorable, while at the same time praising Hunk of all people for being the best character in the franchise? How can you seriously condemn Simmons, Carla, Alex, and all the other villains from recent games to hell while justifying Wesker's ridiculous character derailment in RE5? I agree that most of the characters could have been handled better, but when I compare what they're criticising to what they're praising, it just doesn't make any sense. The only trap they didn't jump into was to praise RE7 for handling characters oh so much better, but if I read that last sentence right, there is at least a third part yet to come, so who knows, it might still happen.

Hopefully I won't be there to find out! So please, can someone tell me where to get affordable brain bleach so I can just forget about that site completely? Because it's like an ex I can't let go, it used to be cool, now it's all about ass-kissing everything that is RE7 and demonising everything that isn't, yet for some reason I still keep going back to it whenever I'm looking for news - something they don't even cover anymore without littering it with their own badly justified opinions. This has to stop!

Those mofos banned me a long time ago, they banned my IP. I wish i could still post in there to be able to insult them now and then :lol:

Btw this is awesome. The music is different too.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Those mofos banned me a long time ago, they banned my IP. I wish i could still post in there to be able to insult them now and then :lol:

I don't actually feel the need to insult anyone for what they're doing there, but... sometimes I'd really like to point out the flaws in their articles. Not that it would change anything, though, because fanboys will be fanboys.

CT: You know how Ada is always so calm and takes her time walking around, barely caring about everything going to hell? Well, not so much in Damnation. That scene where Leon finds the underground beehive, and suddenly Ada comes running in her super-loud heels, then freezes when she realises he is there, and makes a face like a child that got caught sneaking around the candy jar... It's just so unintentionally funny and always makes me think of...

Reactions: Jen

BioLence

I don't actually feel the need to insult anyone for what they're doing there, but... sometimes I'd really like to point out the flaws in their articles. Not that it would change anything, though, because fanboys will be fanboys.

:wink:

Cheer

Kamen Rider
So i've been playing RE3 and there's something that's been really confusing me which may sound silly. When the Nemesis arrives after meeting Carlos for the first time, Jill refers to it as a He. How did she know that Nemesis is a he?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Jill just knows things occasionally... like Nicholai's name, even though he never introduces himself to her, and is never told his name by anyone else either.

KevinStriker

So I started a No Merchant Run of Resident Evil 4.
No upgrades, no purchases, no (reason to bother with) treasures. Just my trusty starting level handgun, shotgun and the Broken Butterfly.
Managed to make it past Verdugo to the Mine, but I still have some way to go. It's felt like a damn pacificist run as long as I've been locked in a room full of enemies.
latest

This room was not fun more than usual.

Top Bottom