• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? (Part 2)

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
My spending habits used to be terrible - I used to drop £200 on clothes and not be majorly fussed. Though I guess that's because I rarely see many clothes I like and when I do, it seems to be more than one thing. I'd also buy a ton of fad beauty products that I'd use maybe one or twice, decide what I was already using was good enough, and then not use the products I bought again.

These days I'm much better with spending, but that's probably because there's not a great point in spending money lately, or anything to spend money on. I don't need clothes because my wardrobe these days consists of loungewear. :ROFL:

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Things not to do: go out in deep snow with just trainers on and no socks. In the dark. With barely any visibility.

Been on this planet for 38 years...you'd think I'd have cottoned on to this sort of thing by now.

It really is a miracle I'm still alive

• Haha
Reactions: Jen

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Things not to do: go out in deep snow with just trainers on and no socks. In the dark. With barely any visibility.

Been on this planet for 38 years...you'd think I'd have cottoned on to this sort of thing by now.

It really is a miracle I'm still alive
Seems like the midlands and the south have had snow today, but I'm in the north and we've had none! I'm a little jealous!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Lol, sheesh. Reading through here and all this hate for shopping makes me sad. I love shopping. Going to comic shops, or anime stores, clothing stores, or specialty grocery stores, is an absolute blast for me. Not only shopping though, I have a habit of just spending money on doing things, not just purchasing items. I went on a date the other night and before I knew it we'd gone mini golfing, bowling, and to the ice cream parlor, and I wasn't really thinking "Oh I'm spending all this money," just because I was out and about having fun.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Seems like the midlands and the south have had snow today, but I'm in the north and we've had none! I'm a little jealous!
Staffordshire here - was shocked by the amount we had! About 6 inches or so in just a few hours. I love the snow so it really cheered me up

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
You.... use inches?

It is snowing right outside here in New York. Supposed to get up to 4 inches tonight, but I really do want to go get my special turkey sandwich for lunch. Hmmmm... Decisions.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I would prefer it if the US used Metric in general. But I could never use Celsius for the temperature. It makes so much sense, but knowing Fahrenheit already makes it too hard to transfer. My brother in law is from New Zealand and has lived in the US for like 10 years and still uses Celsius, so I always have to do some quick googling when he says what he THINKS the temperature is. haha

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
It's a weird one. I prefer body weight to be measured in stone and pounds, cooking ones in millilitres and grams, distance in miles (although I'll say stuff like "a few yards up the road"), length in centimetres (unless hair, then it's inches. And depth of snow is always in inches), temperature in Celsius and time in Parsecs.

Ok, so not time. But I have no real consistency.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
It's a weird one. I prefer body weight to be measured in stone and pounds, cooking ones in millilitres and grams, distance in miles (although I'll say stuff like "a few yards up the road"), length in centimetres (unless hair, then it's inches. And depth of snow is always in inches), temperature in Celsius and time in Parsecs.

Ok, so not time. But I have no real consistency.
I think this is pretty much a UK thing, isn't it? Most people I know use a hybrid of metric and imperial. Travelling in a car is miles per hour, we walk however many metres unless it's a fair distance when it becomes either kilometres or miles (weirdly both seem acceptable), measure height in feet and inches but mostly measure with a ruler in centimetres... at least, that's my experience. The only one I can never grasp is Fahrenheit. Celsius seems easier with 0 being the freezing point and 100 being boiling point!

CT: After speaking about how my spending habits have improved in this thread the other day, I'm currently really having to convince myself not to buy an eye cream from Elemis right now...

So I go to the website, check the price... and think, 'No Jen, you don't need this'.

Then I see they have a 3-for-2 offer on full size skincare, and my mind wanders, I'm thinking I could also go for a berry boost mask and the eye cream and something else, and the cheapest product is free...

But that's spending even more money, so I'm thinking, 'No Jen. Don't do it'.

So I'm currently behaving, but I'm worried that this post might continue in the Latest Purchases thread soon.... :LOL:

Last edited:

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
It's a weird one. I prefer body weight to be measured in stone and pounds, cooking ones in millilitres and grams,
Very very clever! You can eat all you want, desserts and cakes, and not gain a kilo in weight!

I live in a fully metric country, but for some strange reason it's common to talk about "... inces of snow". But rain is never measured in inches, millimeter only. Inches is also commonly used in construction to describe tickness of wood or lenght of nails.

But all the usage of the imperial measurements (which are very limited) are informal only, the correct is metric. The one exception I can think of, is measurement of TV/PC screens, that's still in inches. Edit: Inches are also often used in clothing.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Well, this has been very educational.

In the US, in my experience, we use both systems of measurement for specific things. But I didnt think it would extend beyond here since we are the only weirdos using imperial for most things. Watching the bakers measure and figure out temperatures on The Great British Bake Off is always so unique to me. Love it!

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I'll add that, we never talk about 10 inches of snow, and never feet either. But for depths/tickness of 1-4 inches (of varying types of matter), it's not uncommon to use inches. But for depths/tickness bigger than a very few inches, metric is almost always used, even informally.
Feet are often used to describe the lenghts of boats (not large ships).

I can handle inches, feet, yards and pounds. But Farenheit is nuts! How could anyone invent such a hard to understand scale? It takes a genius to come up with something that illogical. H2O is one of the elements and it's melting and boiling points are a natural zero and 100 degrees (at sea level). What happens at 0 F and 100 F? Did Mr. Farenheit get frostbite at 0 F, so that was set as the zero point??
And you can't convert from Farenheit to Celsius by adding or subtracting, you need a formula. So very very difficult! :LOL:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I don't understand Celsius lol. I wish I had a better grasp of what equals what outside of 0 = freezing and 100 = boiling. I know 32F is freezing and 220 is boiling and I have a solid grasp of what all the degree ranges feel like but if you told me something was 30C, I would have no idea what that felt like unless I look up the F conversion lol.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
If you live a place where it can get this cold, you know what 0 C is like, and you know how hot boiling water is.
And in between there, you have normal indoor temperature that is 21-24 C, healthy body temperature is 37 C.(40 C is severe fever and 42 C is the highest I've heard about.)

Can someone turn the globe up side down so we get summer now?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I don't understand Celsius lol. I wish I had a better grasp of what equals what outside of 0 = freezing and 100 = boiling. I know 32F is freezing and 220 is boiling and I have a solid grasp of what all the degree ranges feel like but if you told me something was 30C, I would have no idea what that felt like unless I look up the F conversion lol.
It's so funny you used 30C as your example because that's like, the ONLY other Celsius I know, which is around 80 degrees Fahrenheit give or take XD

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
CT: After speaking about how my spending habits have improved in this thread the other day, I'm currently really having to convince myself not to buy an eye cream from Elemis right now...
Elemis though...if I could even begin to afford their products, my shelf would be full of them. I adore the frangipani hair and facial oil treatment...had a bottle as a free sample after a spa day once and it lasted forever.

If I was a bajillionaire, I'd order all my skincare products directly from Iceland (the country, not the food supermarket) - my stepmother went there for a birthday treat with my dad and bought THE most amazing face and body cream which, I'm fairly certain, could cure covid. I had some stubborn dermatitis on my hand and after just one application of this stuff, it was completely gone within a few hours. Makes your skin soft and lovely and almost makes me want to become all girly.

Now that's some powerful product!

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Elemis though...if I could even begin to afford their products, my shelf would be full of them. I adore the frangipani hair and facial oil treatment...had a bottle as a free sample after a spa day once and it lasted forever.

If I was a bajillionaire, I'd order all my skincare products directly from Iceland (the country, not the food supermarket) - my stepmother went there for a birthday treat with my dad and bought THE most amazing face and body cream which, I'm fairly certain, could cure covid. I had some stubborn dermatitis on my hand and after just one application of this stuff, it was completely gone within a few hours. Makes your skin soft and lovely and almost makes me want to become all girly.

Now that's some powerful product!
To be fair, the only time I've bought Elemis products is when there's been offers on. I don't want to pay full price the vast majority of the time. Sometimes you can work it really well and get a lot more for your money - they often have a freebie offer where if you spend so much, you get six miniatures and a cosmetics bag free. Their stuff is definitely value for money and last a really long time, but it is extremely pricey and it's a definite hit to your bank balance.

I do have some frangipani stuff I'm waiting to try (I bought their advent calendar last year), so it's good to know it's decent! My personal favourites are pretty much any of the pro-collagen products, and the berry boost mask.

That Icelandic stuff sounds heavenly though!

Top Bottom