• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unpopular Opinions

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
I think this is actually a quite popular opinion. An unpopular opinion would be to actually like this trainwreck of a game that fails to be a worthy and interesting prequel to RE1.
I don't think so. It seems to be generally liked by fanbase and considered good from what I've seen. I can see it being seen as the worst one out of all classic RE games though but I don't think that makes the game bad to most people.

From all the main RE games, I think the one that's considered " bad " by most people is ( unfortunately ) RE6 since when I checked the reviews for it before buying it; they were really mixed. And the Steam review status for it is " Mostly Positive " which is lower than RE5's " Very Positive " , a game that got me disappointed after I finished it for the 1st time years ago.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I don't think so. It seems to be generally liked by fanbase and considered good from what I've seen. I can see it being seen as the worst one out of all classic RE games though but I don't think that makes the game bad to most people.

From all the main RE games, I think the one that's considered " bad " by most people is ( unfortunately ) RE6 since when I checked the reviews for it before buying it; they were really mixed. And the Steam review status for it is " Mostly Positive " which is lower than RE5's " Very Positive " , a game that got me disappointed after I finished it for the 1st time years ago.
Not sure, honestly I don't know that many people who've played RE0 outside of the people on this forum, and the general consensus here seems to be that its not that good. I've also watched a few popular YouTubers talk about RE0 in a negative manner, one in particular being this:

I've yet to the play "modern" trilogy of RE games, that being 4-6, so I'm not sure what to think of those yet.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I love watching Sphere Hunter RE critiques. Her voice is so calming, but her writing is filled to the BRIM with cliches. It's like listening to a long, slow Dad joke and I love it.

RE0 is a divisive title. I love the game itself, but it does have many faults from boring boss designs to Billy not adding a lot of weight to a lack of connection to the original RE game. But the gameplay itself is delightful! (Except for that damn Bat Boss!)

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
I love watching Sphere Hunter RE critiques. Her voice is so calming, but her writing is filled to the BRIM with cliches. It's like listening to a long, slow Dad joke and I love it.

RE0 is a divisive title. I love the game itself, but it does have many faults from boring boss designs to Billy not adding a lot of weight to a lack of connection to the original RE game. But the gameplay itself is delightful! (Except for that damn Bat Boss!)
Yeah, I like Sphere Hunter as well, her voice is so relaxing. And the video is well done IMO and explains a lot of the game's issues. Hopefully she'll release her DMC4 video some time, the game that got me into DMC and made me a big Nero fan.

I didn't know RE0 was divisive. I always thought RE5 and RE6 were the divisive ones.

And yes, that giant bat boss is so bad. I remember firing grenade launcher on it and wasting precious ammo due to missing it most of the time. And it only gets worse when the small ones show up and mess up your auto aim.

RE6 is the best game of the 'modern games'

RE7 was less a RE game than RE6 ever was.

RE2 remake was a letdown, re1 remake is a much better remake on every level. RE2 didn't give you more compared to the original.. it gave you less. It was fun and pretty, but didn't deserve the praise it got.

Gun Survivor series is great. Quality wise no, but for low budget arcade games, GS2 and 3 are really fun pick up and plays. Survivor 1 was also fun playthrough. Dead Aim is fantastic1

Umbrella Corps is a really well played shooter and actually a lot of fun.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
- Claire's Darkside RE2 design is better than her original RE2 design.

- Jill Valentine's sex appeal is the only worth while thing about her as her character is boring compared to the other leading ladies who have personality as well as sex appeal.

- Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine have no relevance in Resident Evil without Albert Wesker.

- Raid Mode is better than Mercenaries mode.

mert20004

I know ı've posted here before but ı want to say that after replaying the re games in december; some of my opinions have changed. I might post the same opinions again but ı'll change some of them and even combine some of them into one.

So here we go:

Re6 is the best re game in the series ( as well as the most underrated one ) and ı prefer 4 / 5 / 6 ( which are good re games just like classic main re games which ı also love. ) over other re games. I personally like the campy / over the top nature of re games and this includes 4 / 5 / 6. The games started to become more action oriented with 2 and this continued in 3 and cv as well so it didnt suddenly happen with 4; the transition from survival horror to action horror was a natural evolution. Also ı dont think 4 balances action and horror well; it focuses on action more than horror similar to 5 ( which focuses on action more than 4 ) and 6. ( which focuses on action more than 5. ) Dont get me wrong; ı think focusing on action more than horror is a good thing however ı get annoyed when people praise 4 while trashing 5 and 6; all 3 of them are awesome. Imo revelations games balance action and horror well; not re4.

I enjoyed all campaigns in re6 but if ı had to rank them from most to least favourite, that would be:

Chris and piers > Leon and helena = Jake and sherry > Ada

Simmons and carla are underrated villains. Simmons' mutations are fun to fight. T-rex mutation is my most favourite simmons mutation.

Ustanak is fun to fight ( Especially the hand to hand fight with jake at the end ) and has a better backstory than nemesis.

Re6 has the best chris, sherry, leon and ada.

I hope they make a sequel to re6 storywise.

Re7 is the worst main re game in the series as well as the most overrated game in the franchise and the game trying to be a classic re game is one of the reasons for that. In the 1st half; the game is a classic re game but in 1st person.... until you unlock lucas' gate then the game becomes a poor man's 4 / 5 / 6 with a combat system that isnt really good with linear environment which makes the game a mess. I dont mind linear level design that much; especially in 4 / 5 / 6 when those games try to be action horror experiences and do a good job with it while trading level design for awesome gameplay mechanics but this bothers me with re7 which is trying to be a classic re game. In classic re games and re2 remake; the level design isnt this linear at the mid and end parts; in re7 however it is. This is one of the reasons why ı dont agree with re7 being " return to the roots " . Even if ı was someone who disliked 4 / 5 / 6; re2 remake would be the re game that ı would use the " return to the roots " statement for; not re7. And the game cuts content which seems to be an inspiration for re2 remake which also cuts content. Like why are minigames paid dlcs? Where's mercenaries? Why do not a hero and end of zoe feel like poor man's chris' and jake's campaigns from re6 respectively? The mechanics feel toned down compared to re6 which has awesome gameplay mechanics that work well in the game. I think the re7 we got should had been a spinoff; the real re7 should had been in 4 / 5 / 6 style with ots camera but even more improved and it should had been a sequel to re6 storywise. Speaking of re7's story; ı think the whole story of re7 is a giant plothole; not being a sequel to re6 and instead trying to be a reboot while being a mess is a big plothole to me. Characters are also not that interesting either; with the exception of jack and joe. Monsters are boring and mold is lame with a lame backstory. The fanservice also doesnt feel that impactful in that game; ı think the fanservice in re6 is way better executed than the one in re7. I loved re6's fanservice unlike re7's fanservice. I wished c-virus was used in re7 instead of the lame mold; c-virus is my most favourite virus in the series with a great monster variety compared to mold that simply sucks from start to finish.

Re7 should have focused more on jack. Also the not a hero and end of zoe dlcs should have been longer.

I like re2 remake a lot but as a remake; it's quite disappointing. Re1 remake is much better re game and a much better remake which overall improved re1 in every aspect. Re2 remake also feels improved compared to re2 but at the same time; it also feels downgraded. The story is the most disappointing aspect to me which doesnt even replace og re2's story; as a reimagining it's still decent ( though memories of a lost city has a better story ) but it has many annoying aspects. Like ı'm not a fan of scenarios not feeling that unique from each other or them not connecting to each other at all unlike in re2 and re6. There's also not enough character interactions; ı think leon should had encountered sherry earlier in rpd or ada should had temporarily saw sherry which happens in re2. Characters for the most part are also not as interesting as they are in re2 and memories of a lost city; sure in some aspects they feel improved but my point still stands. Also not a big fan of how leon's arsenal feels really nerfed; especially that awesome shotgun. In re2; it feels awesome, in re2 remake; it sounds like a toy gun. Compared to re1 remake; it cuts content.

I like cgi films, biohazard the stage and mangas; ı think they are underrated. Damnation is the best cgi one but degeneration and vendetta are also good equally and fun to watch. Degeneration has a better story than vendetta which feels wasted plotential compared to other 2 but vendetta has more interesting action scenes than degeneration's. For mangas; ı think marhawa desire is the best one; ı love how it's a good prequel to re6 and nice to see chris and piers there. I like new characters too; ricky and his uncle are interesting and ricky gets good character development in the manga and felt bad for him when he lost his uncle, merah is also interesting and a good girlfriend for piers; ı love how chris even ships those 2 as well, too bad she sacrificed herself to save piers, rip. Heavenly island is 2nd best; it's a good sequel to re5 and rerev2, nice to see claire there. Characters and new ones are also interesting there. Though ı wished it explored umbrella corps organization more. Regardless; ı also loved that manga. Prelude to the fall is my least favourite; it's decent but quite short. It's a nice prequel to umbrella's end scenario of umbrella chronicles and chris even references the events at the end of the scenario. Regardless; that's also fun to read. I loved biohazard the stage too; that's also a good prequel to re6 and again; nice to see chris and piers there as well as rebecca. I think it's better than cgi films.

Imo jill is a good character however she isnt as interesting as chris, claire, sherry, leon, ada, barry and some of the new characters in re6 and rerev2. Speaking of new characters; ı think the new characters in re5, re6 and rerev2 are underrated; especially piers, jake and moira. And speaking of jake, ı liked his backstory in the files and ı dont think he feels forced to canon re storyline.

If ı had to rank all of them from most to least favourite, imo all of them are good and interesting characters btw, that would be:

Chris > Claire > Sherry > Leon > Ada = Jake = Piers = Barry > Moira > Jill > Natalia = Helena > Evgeny > Sheva = Josh

Steve isnt an annoying character and he has a tragic backstory and fate to him.

Imo re4 and re5 are equally great and awesome. I used to think re5 was better than re4 in every way however after replaying the re games in december; ı dont think that way anymore. The gameplay in re4 feels more fun than the gameplay in re5. Sure in re5; there are some improvements like more than 1 non-unlockable machine guns, sheva being a better character and partner than ashley etc. But in re4, the weapons feel more impactful than the ones in re5; the weapon upgrade system is also more fun to use than the one in re5 not to mention re4 has merchant. I'm also not a big fan of re5's inventory compared to re4's and re6's. It has an inventory system similar to classic re games for some reason; not a big fan of how you can combine ammo with right weapon to reload and bypass the animation, that makes reload upgrades kinda pointless. The plaga bows in re4 feel more fun to fight than the ones in re5 as well. I wished re5 used uroboros more. Storywise re5 is a lot better than re4's; ı like how it delves more into past re games. Re4's story is pretty cool and ı started to appreciate it more for what it is; still feels like a sequel to re2 and re3 so it's not really a reboot unlike re7 but storywise re5 and re6 are much better. However gameplaywise; re4 and re6 have better gameplay than re5. Despite my complaints; ı still love re5 though.

Red9 and blacktail in re4 are overrated. The best handgun in that game is the silver ghost.

Storywise; ı like the events that started from re0 to all the way up to re6; there are some small inconsistencies here and there but overall it feels consistent for the most part. I also kinda like heavenly island's story and vendetta's story. I dislike re7's story though which is a giant plothole. Imo re6 has the best story followed closely by re5. Recv has the best story from classic re games, love how it's a great sequel to re2. I started to appreciate re4's story and its cast more over the years; ı like how it doesnt take itself that much seriously lol. Imo re0 is underrated and has a nice story that's a good prequel story to re1 and remake; ı wished people bashed rerev's story more instead which imo isnt as interesting as re0 storywise, that game is kinda boring too btw. Imo rerev2 is better than rerev in every way; it's also quite underrated just like re0 and re6. All of them are definitely better than re7 though; that's for sure.

Imo alexia and alfred are the best villains in the series.

My top 5 re villain list:

1. Alexia and alfred
2. Wesker
3. Carla and simmons
4. Alex / she-wesker / natalex
5. William and annette birkin

Chronicles games are the best spinoffs of the franchise and darkside chronicles is better than umbrella chronicles. Darkside chronicles is underrated imo and is the best spinoff in the franchise. Character designs in that game are underrated and 2nd best after re6 which has best character designs in the series.

Javier and sergei are underrated villains and manuela is an underrated character.

Game of oblivion's boss battles are better than recv's boss battles.

Resident evil games arent that scary.

I get annoyed when people complain about realism and things related to it in a crazy and over the top franchise like resident evil.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I get annoyed when people complain about realism and things related to it in a crazy and over the top franchise like resident evil.
I'm not going to try and discredit any of your opinions above, I think you have a lot of valid points. However, when it comes to realism in fiction, you have to consider the notion that audiences will accept almost anything as long as it has believable world-building. When fictional universes break or expand their own established world-building in a way that's not consistent with previous titles, there always tend to be divisive reactions.

I'd say that story-wise the Resident Evil franchise has its roots in science-fiction horror, and not the supernatural horror that's been seen increasingly in the later games. The most prominent example of this is actually Eveline in RE7, whose supernatural powers seem so far off the table compared to the lab-created viruses from RE1. Come think of it, the original Japanese name for the series is BIOHAZARD, which in itself is much more of a sci-fi horror title. A very good comparison would actually be Jurassic Park, which is labeled as science-fiction horror. In Jurassic Park, we get to see dinosaurs interact with humans which is completely fantastic, but the idea that's its created by scientists is a believable explanation and that makes us think that it COULD happen in real life. That's science-fiction horror, and the same can be applied to the original RE games.

In my opinion, RE1-3 are the most realistic games in the series because they deal with a virus infection created by scientists and a cast of ordinary people trying to stop it. The RE games started to jump the shark with games such a Zero, when we are introduced to leeches being controlled by a hive mind that sings opera. At that point, the science-fiction elements of the previous games are no longer believable to explain such things, and they start to become more supernatural. And when things become supernatural, it's no longer something that makes us think it could happen in real life. Unless you believe in supernatural stuff, which is stupid.

mert20004

I'm not going to try and discredit any of your opinions above, I think you have a lot of valid points. However, when it comes to realism in fiction, you have to consider the notion that audiences will accept almost anything as long as it has believable world-building. When fictional universes break or expand their own established world-building in a way that's not consistent with previous titles, there always tend to be divisive reactions.

I'd say that story-wise the Resident Evil franchise has its roots in science-fiction horror, and not the supernatural horror that's been seen increasingly in the later games. The most prominent example of this is actually Eveline in RE7, whose supernatural powers seem so far off the table compared to the lab-created viruses from RE1. Come think of it, the original Japanese name for the series is BIOHAZARD, which in itself is much more of a sci-fi horror title. A very good comparison would actually be Jurassic Park, which is labeled as science-fiction horror. In Jurassic Park, we get to see dinosaurs interact with humans which is completely fantastic, but the idea that's its created by scientists is a believable explanation and that makes us think that it COULD happen in real life. That's science-fiction horror, and the same can be applied to the original RE games.

In my opinion, RE1-3 are the most realistic games in the series because they deal with a virus infection created by scientists and a cast of ordinary people trying to stop it. The RE games started to jump the shark with games such a Zero, when we are introduced to leeches being controlled by a hive mind that sings opera. At that point, the science-fiction elements of the previous games are no longer believable to explain such things, and they start to become more supernatural. And when things become supernatural, it's no longer something that makes us think it could happen in real life. Unless you believe in supernatural stuff, which is stupid.
Idk which re game in the series is most realistic nor that ı really care but ı think the least realistic re game is re7 mainly cause it's trying to be realistic but falling on its face as a result due to weird choices. A good follow up to re7 would be re2 remake though ı like that game a lot unlike re7, but similar to it; it's also trying to be more realistic which is one of the reasons why some content are cut from the game. ( I dont like the new ivies among other questionable design choices. )

I'm not sure what you mean with " break their world building " ; ı dont think any main re game from re1 to re6 along with prequels really does that. Though ı agree that re7 and even re2 remake kinda break the rule in some way. But ı dont agree with you about re0 when it comes to marcus and his leeches; they are explained fine in the game along with supplemental material related to it. And ı kinda prefer rebecca in re0 over remake; ı think it's more of remake's fault when it comes to her behaviour since they were developed at the same time.

Supernatural horror elements dont bother me that much personally not to mention re franchise always took inspiration from other franchises related to horror. As much as ı dont like re7, this is one of my least concerns about it. Though ı agree that the supernatural horror elements in re7 are kinda annoying not to mention the game doesnt explain mold well enough for what it does; ı didnt have this negative feeling when playing / replaying re0 or other re games that have supernatural horror elements here and there. Plus they explain their new stuff and while there might be some missed potentials here and there; it's not that big unlike re7 that throws consistency to the ground and stomps on it.

Oh and thank you for using another statement that ı dislike; jump the shark. Like ı said; the re franchise was always cheesy and over the top; the games started to become more action oriented and over the top as the franchise continued until re6 then they did a weird job with re7. If you want to use that statement; ı think you should use it for re2 / re2 remake 1st cause that's more action oriented / over the top compared to re1 / remake. Not to mention the cheesiness and over the top nature of the franchise gave it a charm. I dont like when people complain about things related to this and the games not being " realistic " enough.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Actually - In RE7, nothing supernatural is occurring. The supernatural sequences are the effects of Eveline's powers and everyone in the house being infested by the mold. This is also why Ethan can staple his hand back on. The mold is affecting everyone in the scenario... mentally, emotionally, and physically. When you see super natural things occuring, it is because Eveline is playing mind tricks on you since she can communicate through the mold.

While less scientifically based than other games in the series, it does not have supernatural segments.

mert20004

Actually - In RE7, nothing supernatural is occurring. The supernatural sequences are the effects of Eveline's powers and everyone in the house being infested by the mold. This is also why Ethan can staple his hand back on. The mold is affecting everyone in the scenario... mentally, emotionally, and physically. When you see super natural things occuring, it is because Eveline is playing mind tricks on you since she can communicate through the mold.

While less scientifically based than other games in the series, it does not have supernatural segments.
It still counts as supernatural imo. Also ı wished they explained how and when ethan's got infected. You suddenly learn that he's infected after you obtain the arm due to him seeing eveline even though she isnt actually there and ethan's having an hallucination. There isnt really any good build up to this.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
It still counts as supernatural imo. Also ı wished they explained how and when ethan's got infected. You suddenly learn that he's infected after you obtain the arm due to him seeing eveline even though she isnt actually there and ethan's having an hallucination. There isnt really any good build up to this.
...But it's not supernatural. Supernatural, by definition, is (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature. In other words, can't be explained by science. What happens with Eve IS explained by science, and in fact is caused by acts of science, therefore, it's not supernatural. There's really no debate here.

Turo602

The King of Kings
...But it's not supernatural. Supernatural, by definition, is (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature. In other words, can't be explained by science. What happens with Eve IS explained by science, and in fact is caused by acts of science, therefore, it's not supernatural. There's really no debate here.

It's still stupid.

D

Deleted member 21244

In re 7 Evelin dosent have any supernatural power she just infected you whit her virus and you get allucination, she is created via laboratory by scientist...

Even wesker look like he had supernatural ability but they are explained by science

Chris punching a rock is supernatural XD or leon surviving a plan crash in re 6 is supernatural, Jake jumping all over the place and beating the ustanak to death is supernatural, leon chris and Jake doing supernatural stuff and surviving impossible situation and all their over the top action in re 6 is supernatural and can make even micheal Bay blanch, piers turning into a monster and obtaining lighting ability is supernatural, leon and Helena not getting infected by the c virus at the start of the game while everyone else does is supernatural, or a road full of car explonding while leon run from an insane explosion, that cannot be explained by science, then jumping into an helicopter that miraculously didn't explode like the car is supernatural
Leon and ada seeing each other while leon is on a flying plane and ada is on a speeding train, thats definitely supernatural
Jake and Sherry whole section whit the motorcycle is supernatural or jake jumping on an helicopter and shooting rhe pilot is supernatural

So re 6 is the most supernatural re game ever made, but yet people call re 7 stupid and supernatural because there are allucination induced by a virus in it that can be explained in re universe by science

Edit: @mert20004 ethan get infected while he pass out at the start of the game and than he wake up in the dinner room, it was pretty obvious, also if you read game file you would know that all the things that happened in re 7 are explainable by science, the molded are also explained by game file in a scientific way, here the file if you haven't read it
https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Infection_Report

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21244

People call RE7 stupid because it's stupid. RE6 also being stupid doesn't take that away.
It's a matter of taste than...
but re 7 is scientifically explainable and it's all written in game file, while all that stuff in re 6 cannot have a scientific explanation

Turo602

The King of Kings
It's a matter of taste than...
but re 7 is scientifically explainable and it's all written in game file, while all that stuff in re 6 cannot have a scientific explanation

Just because made up explanations exist within the game, doesn't mean it's better or less ridiculous. These 2 things are equally stupid regardless of what explanation is slapped onto either one.

Reactions: Jen
D

Deleted member 21244

Just because made up explanations exist within the game, doesn't mean it's better or less ridiculous. These 2 things are equally stupid regardless of what explanation is slapped onto either one.

I don't find neither of those two things stupid
As much as re 6 had stupid event, those ada part wasn't actually one of them

Top Bottom