• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City (2021)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Bold of you to assume this.
Bold, but not incorrect in the vast majority of cases. Sure there's always exceptions to the rule, but this is a generality. One that's more often than not correct. Hence my Norman Osbourne example.
Yeah I know this things happen in Hollywood Infact i sayd it in my previous post whit the example of Disney handling of the star wars series right now and how they forced many character into the movie just because of having race diversity, you can clearly see those character are bland, useless to the plot, forced and just stand there because someone says they need variety
A problem i personally don't see in this cast
But how do you not see it in this cast? Or specifically with Jill, since that is, much like with Disney, the obvious reason this move was made? Can you give any other argument as to why it wasn't other than "She auditioned better than everyone else."

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Bold, but not incorrect in the vast majority of cases. Sure there's always exceptions to the rule, but this is a generality. One that's more often than not correct. Hence my Norman Osbourne example.

I guess I just don't see why this is such a big deal that somebody would have to lie about it. I really don't care that a few of these cast members have a little more melanin than the video game counterparts. Does that make me a liar? And why is it so outlandish that someone would have to be lying in order to think that way?

Can you give any other argument as to why it wasn't other than "She auditioned better than everyone else."

I know this wasn't directed at me, but one could pose a similar rebuttal. If she auditioned better than someone else, she just happens to be a little darker than the people who didn't audition as well, would that be acknowledging her acting talent? Or would you rather give it to someone who's a little paler who doesn't have the same talent?

I just don't see the big deal.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I guess I just don't see why this is such a big deal that somebody would have to lie about it. I really don't care that a few of these cast members have a little more melanin than the video game counterparts. Does that make me a liar? And why is it so outlandish that someone would have to be lying in order to think that way?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but one could pose a similar rebuttal. If she auditioned better than someone else, she just happens to be a little darker than the people who didn't audition as well, would that be acknowledging her acting talent? Or would you rather give it to someone who's a little paler who doesn't have the same talent?

I just don't see the big deal.
As for your first question, people would lie because they're afraid of being accused of something they're not, for example, being racist, when in all reality it has nothing to do with them being racist, and more about them being upset they're not being true to the source material from an IP they love. So they'd lie and say "It doesn't matter to me" to avoid the outrage mob and accusations, that the internet has made every so popular these days.

As for your second question, you give it to someone who has BOTH. The look that is as similar as possible to the IP they're adapting, AND acting talent. If this were an original property with no character that it's being based on, there would be NO issue here. But, this IS a representation of an existing character. A character that's existed for almost 25 years in fact. So to make that change, as mentioned before, is unnecessary and adds nothing improved, which is why it looks like it's done for social political reasons, and is a slap in the face to fans, because it shows the show runners don't care enough to properly adapt the PRE EXISTING character. Again, this is all about the fact that the character is pre existing. Meaning there is a template that should be followed, and let's not pretend it would have been difficult to find someone who has plenty of acting talent, who also matches the looks of the character the source material is based on.

And finally, if it HAD to be one or the other, I'd choose looks more like the character than I would better acting. This is a video game adaption. It's most likely not gonna be good anyway if EVERY OTHER video game adaptation ever made is to be used as a frame of reference. Bad acting can also give a "So bad it's good" quality to it that would at least make it enjoyable in a different way. And finally, these games are KNOWN for their bad and cheesy acting, so in a way, it would actually harken back to the roots of the game in a way fans would find amusing, even if unintentional.

Turo602

The King of Kings
The whole "best actor" argument is something I always see people trying to hide behind and it doesn't make sense because often times, the actors who do get cast aren't noteworthy or ever regarded for their brilliant acting. Not to mention, they could get the greatest actors of all time and they still wouldn't win any oscars for these roles because the part that is being written for them isn't oscar worthy. You don't have to be the best actor to pull off the role of a Resident Evil character. I also doubt most of these people even auditioned. Just look at how Snyder or Christopher Nolan cast characters. They either just make calls or cast people they've worked with before. In fact, I think earlier reports confirm just that too.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I remember the same thing happened back when the Harry Potter musical was announced, along with the news that a black actress was going to play Hermione. Some people reread the books and suddenly came up with "evidence" that Hermione might actually have been dark-skinned all along, mainly because of the way her hair was described and her skin colour wasn't specified, but that doesn't change the fact that pretty much everyone had always imagined her as white, she was white in the movies that made the franchise even more popular, and people were called racists for citing that as a reason why she shouldn't suddenly be black in the musical. And that musical is not just some random adaption by the way, but considered a canon sequel by J. K. Rowling herself.

History is repeating itself with this new RE movie. Except in this case, no one can invoke a vague description of a character in a book, because the games are the source material, those games have visuals and we all know what the characters are supposed to look like. The thing is, I don't believe this movie adaption is going to do the source material any justice, it will be just another version of RE, like the live-action franchise was a (subpar) version of it, and I don't have any particular expectations. But I'm going to come out and say that if I did take it seriously, then I, too, would be concerned about the actors' ethnicities not matching those of the characters they're portraying. It would be just as questionable if they cast a white woman to play Sheva or Ada, so that has nothing to do with racism or a hostile attitude against dark-skinned people in particular, but I think there is a lot of truth to the notion that people don't feel comfortable saying this in public out of fear of being labelled racists anyway.

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
As for your first question, people would lie because they're afraid of being accused of something they're not, for example, being racist, when in all reality it has nothing to do with them being racist, and more about them being upset they're not being true to the source material from an IP they love. So they'd lie and say "It doesn't matter to me" to avoid the outrage mob and accusations, that the internet has made every so popular these days.

Fair enough I guess, I can't deny that most people now have the apparent fortitude of middle schoolers vying to be one of the popular kids when any reasonable adult who is sure of their beliefs doesn't require the approval of the outrage mobs.

As for your second question, you give it to someone who has BOTH.

To be honest, the actress they chose for Jill has the same eyes as Voth - that's the first thing I noticed about her. Seeing as how everyone seems to think that Voth is the go-to Jill as far as appearances go (I don't but who cares.), I thought it was pretty clever. And I haven't seen this new actress in anything else so I can't vouch for her ability but I like to approach things with an open mind and so I won't assume she's bad at what she does until I see the final product.

Again, this is all about the fact that the character is pre existing.

I guess. I still don't think it's a big deal, but I've already established this. I respect your opinion but I disagree.

And finally, if it HAD to be one or the other, I'd choose looks more like the character than I would better acting.

I would rather have better acting than a mirror image portrayal. I understand this is Resident Evil and its cheesy and it's not winning Oscars but damn, I still have to be able to sit through the movie. Generally speaking, eye candy isn't enough for me to sit through a ****ty movie. To each their own I suppose.

Bad acting can also give a "So bad it's good" quality to it that would at least make it enjoyable in a different way.

It is so hard to actually do this successfully in my opinion. I could probably count on one hand the number of movies I've seen that fit this mould and I doubt this will be one of them.

Either way, at the end of the day I don't guess it really matters though. The casting choices have been made. I for one still look forward to the reboot as is and will form my opinions later. I tend to make it a habit to approach things positively rather than look for things to complain about, it's just how I choose to live. It's not worth it to me to get upset about this stuff. But I do appreciate your civil response, KK. Cheers.

Mr.R

There's a problem and a catch with this "the best actress to audition the role should get". These days, in Hollywood, the producers normally has already decided on the ethnicity of a character before they start audition. They probably decided beforehand that Jill and Leon would not be played by white actors, so they might had been the "best actor to audition", but they weren't fighting for the role with white actors (or any other actors whose ethnicity doesn't match the one (s) they decide upon), so in this case, their ethnicity does matter and they weren't chosen ONLY because they were the best actors. In Jill's case, Hannah's name has been floating around for some time and apparently she was offered the role, so they were thinking about someone of her ethnicity all along. That's why I think the argument of better actor normally doesn't hold. It's the best actor regarding the stipulations made by the producers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

Hu
There's a problem and a catch with this "the best actress to audition the role should get". These days, in Hollywood, the producers normally has already decided on the ethnicity of a character before they start audition. They probably decided beforehand that Jill and Leon would not be played by white actors, so they might had been the "best actor to audition", but they weren't fighting for the role with white actors (or any other actors whose ethnicity doesn't match the one (s) they decide upon), so in this case, their ethnicity does matter and they weren't chosen ONLY because they were the best actors. In Jill's case, Hannah's name has been floating around for some time and apparently she was offered the role, so they were thinking about someone of her ethnicity all along. That's why I think the argument of better actor normally doesn't hold. It's the best actor regarding the stipulations made by the producers.
Do you realize Hannah ethnicity is Caucasian right? So if they made some casting and the description say: girl, young age, caucasian, blue eyes ecc ecc or even if they say: white girl, blue eye ecc she could have made it all along because in the end she is half Norwegian and half Nigerian matching it despite her skin being darker

Her skin is just more darker than a normal white person that's all, my skin for example is more darker than her but I'm 100% Italian, if they made some leon cast saying we need a Caucasian man or a white guy, i could have easy made the cast and win over the other because I'm Caucasian and 100% white, despite my skin having a darker tone lol

So she could have easy did the cast and win over other people, that's no surprise since she also have good acting skill

If they did cast and didn't think at her from the start

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.R

Hu
Do you realize Hannah ethnicity is Caucasian right? So if they made some casting and the description say: girl, young age, caucasian, blue eyes ecc ecc or even if they say: white girl, blue eye ecc she could have made it all along because in the end she is half Norwegian and half Nigerian matching it despite her skin being darker

Her skin is just more darker than a normal white person that's all, my skin for example is more darker than her but I'm 100% Italian, if they made some leon cast saying we need a Caucasian man or a white guy, i could have easy made the cast and win over the other because I'm Caucasian and 100% white, despite my skin having a darker tone lol

So she could have easy did the cast and win over other people, that's no surprise since she also have good acting skill

If they did cast and didn't think at her from the start

Caucasian means more than skin color, anthropologically speaking, if you don't know that. Even from where I am, in Brazil, Hannah could hardly be considered "white" (and here we have all sorts of mixed skin tones) and certainly not in the sense as Jill Valentine is. Also, your skin tone doesn't make you less Italian or Hannah less British. One thing doesn't have anything to do with the other. No one was linking nationality with skin color.

You can defend her casting as much as you want, you can nitpick hundreds of pics of Hannah to find a couple where she looks like Jill, you're fighting an uphill battle because most of the fans didn't liked the cast, because people don't like when their characters don't look the part (RE7 Chris case...) and you're very naive to think Hollywood thinks Hannah's white, but I won't discuss this matter with you anymore, because it's obviously going nowhere.

Also, my theory point about ethnicity and Hollywood applies not only to Resident Evil, but to other movies as well.

D

Deleted member 21244

Caucasian means more than skin color, anthropologically speaking, if you don't know that. Even from where I am, in Brazil, Hannah could hardly be considered "white" (and here we have all sorts of mixed skin tones) and certainly not in the sense as Jill Valentine is. Also, your skin tone doesn't make you less Italian or Hannah less British. One thing doesn't have anything to do with the other. No one was linking nationality with skin color.

You can defend her casting as much as you want, you can nitpick hundreds of pics of Hannah to find a couple where she looks like Jill, you're fighting an uphill battle because most of the fans didn't liked the cast, because people don't like when their characters don't look the part (RE7 Chris case...) and you're very naive to think Hollywood thinks Hannah's white, but I won't discuss this matter with you anymore, because it's obviously going nowhere.

Also, my theory point about ethnicity and Hollywood applies not only to Resident Evil, but to other movies as well.
Well it's not fairly true that most fans don't like the cast, because i m reading a lot of comment around the internet and they're mostly positive...
Also i don't actually care if all the world like her or if all the world dosent like her, I personally like her a jill, there s no battle i need to make, this is my opinion and i was discussing it and I was also discussing thing i don't agree on

Also i don't understand what you mean whit: i won't discuss this matter whit you , because it's not going anywhere...
Where it should go? The forum is made to discuss and this is where it should go, discussion

Mr.R

Well it's not fairly true that most fans don't like the cast, because i m reading a lot of comment around the internet and they're mostly positive...
Also i don't actually care if all the world like her or if all the world dosent like her, I personally like her a jill, there s no battle i need to make, this is my opinion and i was discussing it and I was also discussing thing i don't agree on

Also i don't understand what you mean whit: i won't discuss this matter whit you , because it's not going anywhere...
Where it should go? The forum is made to discuss and this is where it should go, discussion
That's the thing. You're not discussing. You're just stating your opinion over and over. We know you support the cast choices. We know since your first post. You don't discuss the points we brought, like Hollywood practices on choosing casts, for example (that happens, wether we like it or not). This would be a discussion.

You, stating your opinion all the time, quoting my post without actually discussing the points I made it's just bait for a confrontation, like you always do, and I'm not taking it. That's why I said I wouldn't push the matter further with you. If you want to talk about casting, and the polemics that can bring with this movie, and how those things happens in Hollywood or the performance of the selected cast in other movies, okay...we discuss. If you just gonna hammer your opinion that you support Hanna and the cast, and \\only\\ that, then I don't have anything else to say to you, because it isn't gonna change anything (and changing anything even isn't the point).

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah, those photos offer some good hope! They're creepy which is the atmosphere I really want. A lot of zombie movies/tv shows lean a little too much on Fantasy along with their creepiness, but this is showing a lot of promise.

D

Deleted member 21244

Yeah, those photos offer some good hope! They're creepy which is the atmosphere I really want. A lot of zombie movies/tv shows lean a little too much on Fantasy along with their creepiness, but this is showing a lot of promise.
The attention to detail is also impressive, the truck and the rpd are faithful to the game

Ark2000

I still have my doubts about it, but stuff like this does gives me more hope. I would have to read the script to say for sure am i really looking forward to this or not. I know for sure i'm absolutely NOT looking forward to live action series.

D

Deleted member 21244

This is already better than anything Anderson did lol.
The rpd entrance in the Anderson movie looked like a generic bank whit an Rpd logo and the inside was just like any other police department you see in movies lol
Kinda lame if i think about it

In the reboot they completely build it from the ground and the whole Rpd entrance is there

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I still have my doubts about it, but stuff like this does gives me more hope. I would have to read the script to say for sure am i really looking forward to this or not. I know for sure i'm absolutely NOT looking forward to live action series.
As the script guy of the forum, if you get a hold of any of these scripts or information, I'd really love to have a read!

Top Bottom