• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Resident evil VILLAGE leak, trailer ecc

• Thread starter Deleted member 21244
  • Start date

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
I frankly don’t care if we get to see Ethan or not. Playing as him, I forgot that he’s supposed to have a face, I was too absorbed into the mechanic that I was supposed to be him. If they continue that here, I won’t really care. Knowing what Ethan looks like is like knowing what caused the zombie apocalypse on The Walking Dead: sure, there must objectively be an answer, but it’s completely irrelevant to the experience you get.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Ethan is too much of a character with his own personality and motive for the dumb age old "you are the player" trope.

He's a white guy searching for his wife and he's way too unfazed by the horrors around him for anyone to relate to him. There is no customization or player choice for us to feel like we're in his place, so he might as well be a developed character with a face, except he has no face and he has a very bland personality.

It's also something I don't care for in a Resident Evil game full of established characters we're waiting on follow ups to. Regardless, whether they flesh him out or not, I don't really give a f*ck. I'm tired of this character and his Alice-like role in this series. I don't want to meet Chris and see Chris' story unfold through someone else's perspective like this is Call of Duty or something.

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
he's way too unfazed by the horrors around him for anyone to relate to him.

That’s precisely what makes it easier to insert ourselves in his place; he’s unfazed by the horrors except for the shock and surprise when something unexpected happens... exactly like veteran Resident Evil players.

And people do not need to relate to characters for them to be interesting or likable. That whole line of thinking has, in my opinion, contributed to the downfall of classic storytelling, where the hero and villain were good or evil, to be cheered for or against, simply because they were. There was purity to that kind of storytelling, but now, everybody must find something relatable to a character in order for them to be likable. The summarized term for it is that the character must be “3-dimensional”, an ill-defined and oversimplified term that ultimately means nothing.

You see this kind of thinking in the criticism against most villains in the Marvel movies, that only Loki and Thanos have relatable motives, and are thus see as the only “good” villains to have appeared so far. Not true. They don’t have to be relatable, they simply have to do what they do. Their reasons are their own and they are irrelevant. All that matters is that what they do is enjoyed by the audience, either for its own sake, or because it makes it that much more awesome when the heroes stop them (Frankly, I found Ultron more enjoyable than either Loki or Thanos).

Bringing it back to Ethan, I don’t want to relate to him. If I’m going to step into the shoes of a character (either 1st person or 3rd, there’s really no true difference in the end), I don’t want to be anything like them. I play games because they are not reality. I do not want to be or deal with characters who are in any way like me or anyone I know. I want fiction to be as fictional as it can. I want to be someone completely different from myself, somebody who has, can do, or experiences, everything I don’t or can’t. This is why Altair is a better Assassin’s Creed character than Ezio, this is why silent slashers like Jason and Michael Meyers are better than “complex” characters like Freddy and Pinhead, and this is why Ethan is better as just an outline of a real guy with a real life than actually being/having one.

But, that’s just me.

Turo602

The King of Kings
That’s precisely what makes it easier to insert ourselves in his place; he’s unfazed by the horrors except for the shock and surprise when something unexpected happens... exactly like veteran Resident Evil players.

And people do not need to relate to characters for them to be interesting or likable. That whole line of thinking has, in my opinion, contributed to the downfall of classic storytelling, where the hero and villain were good or evil, to be cheered for or against, simply because they were. There was purity to that kind of storytelling, but now, everybody must find something relatable to a character in order for them to be likable. The summarized term for it is that the character must be “3-dimensional”, an ill-defined and oversimplified term that ultimately means nothing.

You see this kind of thinking in the criticism against most villains in the Marvel movies, that only Loki and Thanos have relatable motives, and are thus see as the only “good” villains to have appeared so far. Not true. They don’t have to be relatable, they simply have to do what they do. Their reasons are their own and they are irrelevant. All that matters is that what they do is enjoyed by the audience, either for its own sake, or because it makes it that much more awesome when the heroes stop them (Frankly, I found Ultron more enjoyable than either Loki or Thanos).

Bringing it back to Ethan, I don’t want to relate to him. If I’m going to step into the shoes of a character (either 1st person or 3rd, there’s really no true difference in the end), I don’t want to be anything like them. I play games because they are not reality. I do not want to be or deal with characters who are in any way like me or anyone I know. I want fiction to be as fictional as it can. I want to be someone completely different from myself, somebody who has, can do, or experiences, everything I don’t or can’t. This is why Altair is a better Assassin’s Creed character than Ezio, this is why silent slashers like Jason and Michael Meyers are better than “complex” characters like Freddy and Pinhead, and this is why Ethan is better as just an outline of a real guy with a real life than actually being/having one.

But, that’s just me.

If he represents veteran Resident Evil players, then what you're saying is that you relate to him? Because that contradicts everything you just said and if I'm being honest, I don't really get what point you're trying to make. This isn't about relatable characters vs non-relatable characters.

And truthfully speaking, I don't believe for one second that anyone doesn't relate with characters they like in one way or another. You yourself just said Ethan being unfazed makes him more like the player which makes it easier for you to insert yourself into his shoes, so you definitely relate to him. You also like Ultron, a character who was meant to be a cold and emotionless robot who was given a face and a sense of humor to be more relatable. Even if you just like a character for being the good guy and beating the bad guy, that should say something about you as a person.

No one criticizes 2-Dimensional characters for not being 3-Dimensional. There is no one way to make characters and what people find more appealing is completely subjective. There are examples of both being either good or bad, but that doesn't make one better than the other or even less relatable. Thanos and Loki have significantly more screen time than most villains and are given time to develop as characters and establish strong motives that resonate with the audience. It's not that hard to see why they would be considered better characters than Whiplash and Yellowjacket.

My issue with Ethan is that he's meant to be an empty vessle for us to self insert ourselves into to increase the horror by being an average joe and not a "superhero" like Chris or Leon. Yet, Ethan is just as capable and unfazed as a Chris or Leon, for someone who is supposed to be "normal." Ethan's presence adds absolutely nothing to the survival horror and his motives, voice, and personality contradict the idea of self-inserting yourself into the player because Ethan is just as much a character anyway, so much so that they want to further explore him and flesh him out. Something I absolutely don't care for in this series when I'd rather be playing as the very guy they keep advertising the game with.

I've always hated the idea of self-inserting yourself into a clearly defined role anyway. Huge examples being Link in The Legend of Zelda and Master Chief in Halo, especially when you yourself have no control over how the story progresses and how the character acts. I love both characters a lot, but the idea of us being them is something I never bought into.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Gotta say the new trailer does nothing for me. It doesn’t necessarily look bad but it offers nothing new or captivating.

Wasker1995

I’m thinking and I can’t understand ... where did witches come from in the Resident's Evil game (yes, in this game one of the types of enemies would be witches)? After all, this is no longer even a Resident Evil, but some kind of supernatural s**t that cannot be explained at all. If the Werewolves can still be explained by some kind of virus, then witches are already some kind of s**t, which does not combine with the series of the Resident Evil at all!

D

Deleted member 21244

I’m thinking and I can’t understand ... where did witches come from in the Resident's Evil game (yes, in this game one of the types of enemies would be witches)? After all, this is no longer even a Resident Evil, but some kind of supernatural s**t that cannot be explained at all. If the Werewolves can still be explained by some kind of virus, then witches are already some kind of s**t, which does not combine with the series of the Resident Evil at all!
They were never officially called witches
Probably the people living in the re 8 village called them witches or else because they are unaware of the virus infection (but no actual source or trailer called them witches lol just some leak called them enemy like Witches because the source don't know they're official name)

In code veronica, people of the island think alexia was some kind of witch or ghost because she was dead but actually it was Alfred impersonating alexia while alexia was sleeping for 15 years to bond with the veronica virus, they even thought that alexia s father was a vampire, and call him nosferatu but it was actually none of this ****, he was just infected whit the t veronica virus by alexia and turned into a monster
Or when the nidypaya from re 5 thought that people where possessed by some demons while in reality they were just infected whit las plagas parasite by wesker people
Or in revelations 2 when people on the island looked at alex wesker as a goddess or as a malevolent being, while she was just a scientist doing experiments on the island

Going by the resident evil 8 demo leak, this witches have similar power to alexia, like controlling insect and transform into monster like spider, all this can be explained whit a virus infection in the re universe

It's all about point of view

If you are a normale person in the re universe and you just saw some girl turning her blood into fire and controlling insect and turn her body into a freak, you would call her witch or else while in reality it's Alexia infected whit the t veronica virus lol but you are simply unaware of it
But if you are Chris redfield or leon s kennedy you know that's a ****ing BOW

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent Spike

As someone who missed out on 5, 6, and 7, I'm very excited for this game. I can't really pinpoint what it is but I can't wait. Maybe it has something to do with atmosphere or setting of the game. Reminds me of RE4 and the hookman version.

As long as the gameplay and story are good, then I'll be happy.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I read the article but I can't seem to be getting that much new information out of it except from a few new twists. The game's core aspects seem to be the same, and the similarities to RE4 are yet again brought to mind.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
If there are major spoilers in the article, I'll probably skip so I can enjoy all at once. But I am glad to see people looking forward to it. I always go in to things with high hopes and let myself be let down rather than the other way around. But I usually really like every game I play anyway, so not too much to worry about for me. haha

Wasker1995

New screenshots
2y7bG6xoyc3FwUYxPaoBSQ.jpeg
S9at9IKVe3UYSZzAoxCA5g.jpeg
fA8_C-MoIcBz5gk6uytURA.jpeg
Dvr-bwwSM1kcy_ptwRkCog.jpeg

Moderator edit: Spoiler

Last edited by a moderator:

Turo602

The King of Kings
After what I read from ResetEra, yeah, f*ck this game. Sounds like horrible fanfiction, which means it's probably all true.

Top Bottom