• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil VII confirmed.

meg5493

I was getting that impression as well. It's a continuation of the canon thus far, so I saw it more as like they were going to use the new character(s) to explain any relevant bio-activity, which would consequently affect the lives of the heroes we already know. In other words, continuing the story from a new POV, but still referencing the old characters in some way. Though I haven't really any evidence to back that theory, it just makes the most sense to me, and probably contains some wishful thinking.

Does anyone know just how long after 6 that 7 takes place? Maybe we won't see any old characters because they've all been dead for 40 years.
Yeah Jan 1, 2017 is what it says in game at the start, but theres no telling how much time passes between that and waking up alone in the room with the vcr.

IntoxNitram

Perhaps Revelations 3?
They never mentioned the Resident Evil 2 remake in the other list of games, so it makes me think it is that. I know they say the "yet to be announced" title which could cast doubts, but I think it could still be that.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Ummmm.... if this is true. The game could very well be delayed or it could launch with a lot of bugs. A game doesn't get a release date if it's only "65%" done. Unless it's an annual franchise, and we know how the quality of some of those games come to be. There is no way Capcom would screw this up. I'm not sure if I believe this bit.
That's what I was thinking too. If it's been in development for over two years and it's 65% completed, then I don't see how they could pull of a January release date.

IntoxNitram

That's what I was thinking too. If it's been in development for over two years and it's 65% completed, then I don't see how they could pull of a January release date.
I think the figures are always kinda inaccurate. Remember the hardest bits and the longest parts of game development are story writing and scripts/voice over. It's a small location in comparison to most games so doubt that bit will take long. I think it'll be fine.

My hopes are.. Third person. Yes it is very important that it isn't a first person atmospheric walk simulator. Those games can be cool but should never be a Resident Evil adventure... And if it has to be not in the main series.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I was getting that impression as well. It's a continuation of the canon thus far, so I saw it more as like they were going to use the new character(s) to explain any relevant bio-activity, which would consequently affect the lives of the heroes we already know. In other words, continuing the story from a new POV, but still referencing the old characters in some way. Though I haven't really any evidence to back that theory, it just makes the most sense to me, and probably contains some wishful thinking.

Does anyone know just how long after 6 that 7 takes place? Maybe we won't see any old characters because they've all been dead for 40 years.

If we at least get archive footage of some of the old cast or something, I'd be down with that also. For example, taped therapy sessions of Jill at the BSAA testing facility. We still don't know what happened with her after RE5 two games removed from it, and it's way too big a story for them to just let slip through the cracks. It MUST be addressed in some way.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Wow I'm tardy to the party it seems. It's already 10+ pages long? Damn! But okay my input. I have no real expectations. I certainly don't dislike it like some people here but at the same time I can't say this is something I envisioned when I thought about RE7. I guess that makes me neutral. Either way I'm keeping my on on this and will withhold my complete judgement until I've seen more. I will say right now that I'm glad it doesn't look like it will be in the same vain as RE5 & 6. *shudders the thought*

However I do have a couple things I'd like to address. First off, no this isn't more like Silent Hill than Resident Evil. I don't know how in the world would get that impression. Just having psychological horror elements doesn't automatically make it Silent Hill. I wonder if people who make this comparison have actually played or understand the Silent Hill titles. Yeah it does look like it was heavily influenced by PT but if you're basing the SH experience off of PT then I got some news for ya--

Second, am I really the only one who doesn't care that we aren't playing as one of the old cast members? Sured I'd like to see them in at the very least but what ever happen to making a new endearing cast to latch onto? When I was playing with Claire and Leon I wasn't missing Jill or Chris. When I was playing as Rebecca and Billy I wasn't missing Barry or Wesker. etc-etc. Now I'll admit I didn't like the new cast in RE5 & 6. They were absolutely garbage in my opinion. However I understand some people do, so my point is why not just look forward to what we might get out of these new guys and not what we're missing from the old ones? Granted maybe it's just me. I'll admit, in all of my examples the old cast still made guest appearances or where still very important to the plot.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens... It might be a while before we get more info.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I think the figures are always kinda inaccurate. Remember the hardest bits and the longest parts of game development are story writing and scripts/voice over. It's a small location in comparison to most games so doubt that bit will take long. I think it'll be fine.

I don't want to be rude, but I must butt in here. This is absolutely 100% not true. May I ask how you drew to this conclusion? That is one of the simpler things, to an extent. Now what CAN what can happen is that because voice actors can be VERY pricey and some of them are rather... hmmm... greedy shall we say? Or have a huge price tag on their toes. It can be very expensive for them to re-read lines if they were given a script with the dialogue. So sometimes the developers need to go back and redesign the part of the game of where the voice actor made a mistake on the developers part. I know of one developer that this occurred to. I know what game, but I suspect it happen to many of their games. Many of them contain a **** ton of a dialogue. They also aren't Naughty Dog, whom I presume write the script before full development of the level designs and characters. Which is why it's so consistent. You might notice that they go back to foreshadow the events. For example if you go back to where Sully was shot in Drakes fortune. You'll notice that passport is actually there and rendered. I assume that Naught Dog starts on assets while it's being written. As for the developer I'm referring too. They are more of a... write as they go along kind of developer. They have an outline of what they want to do, but it changes a lot during development. The story goes in to so many directions but kind of shakes a lot of them off and goes back to the main theme. Theme is always important in game development. The writers are normally only slightly ahead of the development team themselves.

As for what is the hardest part of game development. Definitely designing everything to connect. Getting gameplay to be consistent and following the rules is a little difficult, but that's not the hard part. Polishing can be a bitch, there is no end to polishing and it goes on forever. Animations can also be very difficult, having to line everything up. Animators get paid a **** ton. The ones who work on fighting games get paid the most. Fighting games despite to popular belief. Is amongst the most expensive games to make. Which is why the content is rather low and there is a lot of DLC or releases of the game to recoup the costs and draw a profit. Capcom is NOT being greedy with those rereleases and some may think, but they definitely make their money back and then some.

I want to mention one more thing about narrative design (the writer). They have to rewrite segments and parts again and again and again. It's very heart breaking to have to rewrite what you've envisioned. Narrative designers need to be in constant communication with everyone and requires a lot of team work.

Want to guess who has to re-do everything if the level designs, game play mechanics, characters, or assets are changed? Hint... It's the person that uses the less resources, cheap to modify the work, and requires far less work or effort to change. Even if it's a brain twister with mental blocks. Can you guess it? It's a heart breaker.

For me personally. Coding with C# is the hardest. I'm literally retarded with that ****. Sometimes I'd rather get a wired controller and hang myself xD Okay not really, but seriously. C# is torture for me.
However I do have a couple things I'd like to address. First off, no this isn't more like Silent Hill than Resident Evil. I don't know how in the world would get that impression. Just having psychological horror elements doesn't automatically make it Silent Hill. I wonder if people who make this comparison have actually played or understand the Silent Hill titles. Yeah it does look like it was heavily influenced by PT but if you're basing the SH experience off of PT then I got some news for ya--

Thank you! I've been saying this on other corners of the internet and even pointed out that project Kitchen was playable to the press when P.T. was revealed. I definitely wasn't feeling the same vibe. It definitely felt more Resident Evil than Silent Hills, but of course according to the internet. We're wrong xD

IntoxNitram

I don't want to be rude, but I must butt in here. This is absolutely 100% not true. May I ask how you drew to this conclusion?
Your right, ignore the hardest bit, I certainly believe they are some of the things that take the longest. Plot/story and script are the sort of things that happen throughout most of the development period from what I've seen. From the developers I've seen they tend to focus preproduction on mechanics and storytelling, get the mechanics introduced along with the basic setting, which only really makes up a small % of game completion. Then they introduce the story and script, the bits that have been going since preproduction, benefits been that most of its already nearly flushed out. I imagine lots of the % left of development is implementing that already written story, adding environmental details and obviously polishing/bug removal. I also presume some of that % will involve things like game testing phases and classification by game boards as well as 'going gold' and writing the game to disk. Again most of it is presumption and the couple of game development studios I've seen sharing stuff online, from the sounds of it you know more than me about it but I'm just drawing presumptions from what I've seen.

Unknown

They also aren't Naughty Dog, whom I presume write the script before full development of the level designs and characters. Which is why it's so consistent.

You presume wrong. Naughty Dog have stated that they think of the cool set pieces first, then write a story to accomodate them. They just did a much better job of hiding this in U2 than in U3.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Your right, ignore the hardest bit, I certainly believe they are some of the things that take the longest. Plot/story and script are the sort of things that happen throughout most of the development period from what I've seen. From the developers I've seen they tend to focus preproduction on mechanics and storytelling, get the mechanics introduced along with the basic setting, which only really makes up a small % of game completion. Then they introduce the story and script, the bits that have been going since preproduction, benefits been that most of its already nearly flushed out. I imagine lots of the % left of development is implementing that already written story, adding environmental details and obviously polishing/bug removal. I also presume some of that % will involve things like game testing phases and classification by game boards as well as 'going gold' and writing the game to disk. Again most of it is presumption and the couple of game development studios I've seen sharing stuff online, from the sounds of it you know more than me about it but I'm just drawing presumptions from what I've seen.

Most game developers will write as they go along. The first and foremost that every game developer does is figure out the game design and the mechanics. Something that is consistently the priority. This first question is "is it fun", "What are the forms of fun", and "what are the themes". So story does take a bit more of a back seat than most people actually believe. Unfortunately it can be rushed if the devs are going fast. The narrative designer needs to be slightly ahead, or they will be facing far more re-writes than they would want to do. Which is a **** ton if they don't get behind. They constantly need to back track and change things on the go. Which in many cases means that everything that was written after that point may even be 90-100% scrapped and they need to continue on from scratch. This ****ing sucks balls!

Game play and mechanics are always first. A lot of games get cancelled early on because of this. Sometimes even half finished games or games that are 75% complete get scrapped because of this or a lack of direction. Which is such a waste, but it happens. So narrative design is not without it's heartbreaks and frustration.

But yes it kind of goes something like:
Main theme (this can mean a few things it can be very specific or brief) -----> Form of fun behind the game ------> Concepts and Mechanics -------> Assets and set pieces as unknown stated. I think theme of setting is a good idea ------> Characters -----> Story.

Basically that's a basic design doc outline. It's a little hard to explain.

A lot of what I am saying is from what I've learned and know. Western games do follow a different base outline than Eastern games though. That's something to keep in mind. It's kind of why Western made games are easier and give a little hand holding. Some Western games have an idiot proof mode. Saying some is being nice.

You presume wrong. Naughty Dog have stated that they think of the cool set pieces first, then write a story to accomodate them. They just did a much better job of hiding this in U2 than in U3.

You are correct. I remember this statement now that you brought that up. The set pieces, gameplay mechanics, and where they want to take the story through level design. Thanks for the reminder. I would definitely say that Naught Dog has the most fleshed out stories in the industry. I can't really say that any one can argue with that. A lot of developers look up to them and how they do things. Naught Dog makes magic happen and dreams come true.

Honestly... I have no idea how Naught Dog pulls that **** off.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Okay I honestly still don't understand the big deal with first person. Like, how exactly does it change the game that much? PT and COD are both first person and they are on vastly different ends of the spectrum, so it doesn't seem to me that the camera angle makes that much of a difference to the overall experience. If every element of this game was exactly like another resident evil game, but it was in first person, then it would feel like a resident evil game.

black 93

Okay I honestly still don't understand the big deal with first person. Like, how exactly does it change the game that much? PT and COD are both first person and they are on vastly different ends of the spectrum, so it doesn't seem to me that the camera angle makes that much of a difference to the overall experience. If every element of this game was exactly like another resident evil game, but it was in first person, then it would feel like a resident evil game.
I honestly like the first person view. People keep saying "It dosent feel like Resident Evil" im just like, well what does feel like RE to you anymore? People complained about the old games saying they were too slow and bad controls, then people complained about the behind the back, now they're conplaining about this. I wish those kind of 'fans' would just do what they say they're gunna do and abandon the series. The series is never going back to the old style, except for remasters or remakes. RE4 changed it forever, people need to get over it or move on. This game is innovating, it's sonething different. "It's copying PT". Yea well every third person shooter since RE4 copied it. No one complained. I don't care, it's a new entry in my favourite series of all time and it's something different. I can't wait. Not happy that there's no old characters, but who knows this new character could be great.

For me the character I play as is a big deal. You just don't get the same connection with them in first person. And also.. 50% of games today is in first person and i'm sick of it!

Unknown

I would definitely say that Naught Dog has the most fleshed out stories in the industry. I can't really say that any one can argue with that. A lot of developers look up to them and how they do things. Naught Dog makes magic happen and dreams come true.

They're up there, I wouldn't say they're the best because U3 and U4 are both a bit patchy when it comes to story imo. Kojima Productions with the MGS series (excluding 5) and Rockstar Games are also within the same class as ND, with GTA4 and Red Dead both having extremely well-written stories easily on par with Uncharted 2 and TLOU.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
They're up there, I wouldn't say they're the best because U3 and U4 are both a bit patchy when it comes to story imo. Kojima Productions with the MGS series (excluding 5) and Rockstar Games are also within the same class as ND, with GTA4 and Red Dead both having extremely well-written stories easily on par with Uncharted 2 and TLOU.

I would like to believe that Kojima is a god amongst men. The Metal Gear games are perfection. From a gameplay perspective that includes V. The only one I didn't like was Peace Walker. Also MGSV has a fantastic story. Everyone hated it for the first month and then they loved it later. Once people noticed how it parallels MGS2 Sons of liberty and shows how different Solid Snake and Big Boss are. The problem is. Phantom Pain only really acknowledged SoL and the first Metal Gear. That twist with MG was brilliant. The tapes do fill in a lot things in the series, but that is dependent on the player finding them.

Thing is... we all wanted to see Big Boss's rise. Grey Fox. Dr Clark and so on.

Personally though. Metal Gear Solid (I do prefer The Twin Snakes) and Guns of the Patriots are brilliant. GoP does rely on the player knowing the full scope of the story to understand it fully, but those two are my favorite. With MGS3 right behind followed by MGS2. That series is just perfect to me as far as gaming narrative goes. It's the game that inspired me.

As for Naughty Dog games. They are some of the best of the best. I loved the story of GTAV, but I thought IV was very poor to be honest. It is one of the few games that I started playing and couldn't finish. It just grew more stale the longer I played it. Though the whole friend system destroyed it for me. I'm that person that needs to do everything in a game and it would ruin my reputation with them and I wasn't allowed to do the main missions apparently. It's one of the poorest game play mechanics that I've ever witnessed. No wonder Rock Star got rid of it.

Uncharted 3 did have it's problems. I haven't started 4 yet because I've been busy, but I plan to do so. I've been playing the multiplayer and I need to find a team fast xD They have a tournament starting soon and I would like to participate. It'll be in movie theaters and there is a $100'000 prize pool.

Unknown

I would like to believe that Kojima is a god amongst men. The Metal Gear games are perfection. From a gameplay perspective that includes V. The only one I didn't like was Peace Walker. Also MGSV has a fantastic story. Everyone hated it for the first month and then they loved it later. Once people noticed how it parallels MGS2 Sons of liberty and shows how different Solid Snake and Big Boss are. The problem is. Phantom Pain only really acknowledged SoL and the first Metal Gear. That twist with MG was brilliant. The tapes do fill in a lot things in the series, but that is dependent on the player finding them.

Thing is... we all wanted to see Big Boss's rise. Grey Fox. Dr Clark and so on.

Personally though. Metal Gear Solid (I do prefer The Twin Snakes) and Guns of the Patriots are brilliant. GoP does rely on the player knowing the full scope of the story to understand it fully, but those two are my favorite. With MGS3 right behind followed by MGS2. That series is just perfect to me as far as gaming narrative goes. It's the game that inspired me.

As for Naughty Dog games. They are some of the best of the best. I loved the story of GTAV, but I thought IV was very poor to be honest. It is one of the few games that I started playing and couldn't finish. It just grew more stale the longer I played it. Though the whole friend system destroyed it for me. I'm that person that needs to do everything in a game and it would ruin my reputation with them and I wasn't allowed to do the main missions apparently. It's one of the poorest game play mechanics that I've ever witnessed. No wonder Rock Star got rid of it.

Uncharted 3 did have it's problems. I haven't started 4 yet because I've been busy, but I plan to do so. I've been playing the multiplayer and I need to find a team fast xD They have a tournament starting soon and I would like to participate. It'll be in movie theaters and there is a $100'000 prize pool.

Interesting, I still hate the story of MGSV, it ruined the series for me personally. It should've been Big Boss. I agree about Twin Snakes btw.

GTA5 was just poorly written, the plot is full of holes. GTA4 however, is a masterpiece, though I can understand people's problems with it being very grim and striving for "realism", with a very sincere, less humorous story. I think 5 just dumbed everything down to casual rubbish, with underdeveloped mechanics like stealth, less physics, poor sound design (those awful gunshots)....hated it.

U4 is tighter than 3 plotwise, but still nowhere near as well paced as 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom